Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Gogan leaving 2fm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is there nothing people on the radio forum won't sh*t all over?

The funny thing about the place is that it contains some posters who appear to genuinely hate the medium of radio, and everyone who has ever presented on it. Some very odd and eccentric individuals.

Best of luck to Larry. Yesterday’s Liveline was a lovely tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Larry: Complete the saying "As happy as...

Contestant: Emmm...

Larry: Think of me...

Contestant: A pig in sh*t
    I always thought that happened, but he says it never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Is there nothing people on the radio forum won't sh*t all over?

Find us something good, decent, honourable, truthful and value for money, then.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Is he STILL there? Jaysus the RTE pension is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

NSAman wrote: »
    Is he STILL there? Jaysus the RTE pension is brilliant.

Larry is and was always freelance, not Staff

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Even when you look at a photo of Larry when he was young, he still looked old!

Would not agree. He started on Radio 2 when he was around 40/41 and he looked his age!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"Freelance" I think I only ever heard him on 2fm / RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

"Freelance" I think I only ever heard him on 2fm / RTE?

No matter how nice a guy Larry is/ was, he's way past his sell by date as a DJ. I wouldn't be a 2FM listener but neither are any of our younger and adult children. Just goes to show how out of touch state organisations get with the public. If 2fm were a commercial station, Larry would have been retired eons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

BarryD2 wrote: »
    No matter how nice a guy Larry is/ was, he's way past his sell by date as a DJ. I wouldn't be a 2FM listener but neither are any of our younger and adult children. Just goes to show how out of touch state organisations get with the public. If 2fm were a commercial station, Larry would have been retired eons ago.

Otoh, if today's yoof are into gangsta rap and mind-numbing endlessly repetitive electro tosh, Sunday evenings are good.
    I quite like it, and I'm no spring chicken.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Try sarcasm...it really isn’t hard to do.....sheezzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

BarryD2 wrote: »

I think Ian Dempsey was another freelancer before he left 2FM back in '98 to take up a role with TODAY fm. Many of the big earners at RTÉ ended up as freelancers to the best of my knowledge. Tubridy is probably working freelance as well. Tubs used occasionally do guest presenter stints on BBC Radio 2 from time to time while still at RTÉ.

Larry was probably still attracting a significant audience which generated commercial advertising revenue while 2FM as a station was experiencing huge decline some years back so they needed to manage the situation very carefully. He would have been better suited to RTÉ Gold format or Radio 1 in my view and ill health has not helped him in recent years. Dave Fanning who is not as old as Larry also seems very out of place to be honest and should also be given a slot on RTÉ Gold or else a different project altogether - they used have him give film reviews but not heard him do much of that for a while but still occasionally fills in for people like Tubridy along with his regular Sat/Sun morning slots on 2FM.

TODAY fm is a commercial station but it took quite a while to do a serious revamp when they axed shows like Friday Night 80's, Jim O'Neill etc; Some older Dj's can often remain longer than many of their peers. An untimely death led to Gerry Ryan's show being retired in April 2010 and there was clearly nobody ready waiting in the wings that could command Gerry's massive audience. Similar story with Tony Fenton who was hugely popular but passed away before his time. Meanwhile it was serious illness that forced Gareth O'Callaghan off the air at commercial station 4FM (later re-branded as: "Classic Hits") and the replacement presenter's show lacks something.

Dave fannings show on 2fm was huge in 80s and 90s. He does film reviews on the six o clock show on virgin media 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Dave fannings show on 2fm was huge in 80s and 90s. He does film reviews on the six o clock show on virgin media 1

If only I could understand him. He speaks way too fast.

Dave Fanning has been another institution in Irish broadcasting and while some people may not have admired his style or speed, he always had a unique presence and often shared interesting views on the issues of the day.

Larry was more than The Golden Hour and the Just a Minute quiz everyone seems to be referring to.

He has presented a good few TV programmes with the showbands and dancing type shows in the 60s and 70s.
    And the video Golden Hour in the early 90s.

Not forgetting the Irish Chart shows on Radio Eireann and 2FM right up to when Tony Fenton took over in 2001 era (Think Larry returned to the charts when Tony left for Today FM). I know Larry did a one off chart show just last year on 2FM.

Is Larry on 2FM this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dave Fanning has been another institution in Irish broadcasting and while some people may not have admired his style or speed, he always had a unique presence and often shared interesting views on the issues of the day.

Always liked fanning but he struck me as someone who sort of lives in a Dublin ( going to gigs) bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Laura Fox is replacing Larry

Source?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Always liked fanning but he struck me as someone who sort of lives in a Dublin ( going to gigs) bubble

Yeah I know what you mean - There was always a bit of a clique. I felt the same about Larry Gogan, Ronan Collins, Marty Whelan, Gerry Ryan, Ian Dempsey, Simon Young etc; That's not to say they did not deserve success but you felt they were untouchable once they stayed with RTÉ.

That said, once any of them had indicated they were leaving RTÉ for a competitor's offer they were immediately silenced from the airwaves at Montrose H.Q.

It took Marty Whelan quite a long time period before RTÉ would have him back after Century Radio had collapsed in 1991 so; Marty would have had a worrying time going from highly successful DJ on 2FM > Century 100FM > The Dole > RTÉ again.

I recall Iano never got any opportunity to say goodbye to his 2FM Breakfast Show audience back in 1998 and was off air for several months before he commenced with TODAY FM.

Larry was more than The Golden Hour and the Just a Minute quiz everyone seems to be referring to.

He has presented a good few TV programmes with the showbands and dancing type shows in the 60s and 70s.
    And the video Golden Hour in the early 90s.

Not forgetting the Irish Chart shows on Radio Eireann and 2FM right up to when Tony Fenton took over in 2001 era (Think Larry returned to the charts when Tony left for Today FM). I know Larry did a one off chart show just last year on 2FM.

Is Larry on 2FM this weekend?

Very true.

"The Pepsi Chart Show - Ireland's Top Thirty" at weekends on 2FM for many years!

He also had a live THREE hour weekday show X 5 days a week for many years during the '80's/'90's which usually went out from 12Noon but there was also a time when he came on 11:30am (in the days that Jimmy Greeley did 09:00-11:30am slot) and I think Larry also did 2:00-5:00pm for a while as well at one stage.

Larry used do radio commentary for some major events like the Eurovision Song Contest and perhaps other contests like the National Song Contest (later referred to as: "Eurosong X year") and so on.

Larry also did John Player "Tops of the Towns" competition which used be broadcast from a theatre on RTÉ television for many years. Employees from various companies around Ireland would compete against each other for the annual title.

I'm sure I heard Larry Gogan's voice on recorded in flight entertainment programmes on an Aer Lingus transatlantic flight back in 2000 as well.

I'm not certain if Larry is on this weekend (even if the schedule displays it) as I gather he has had a number of health issues in recent times which is to be expected given his age. I believe that 2FM intends to mark Larry Gogan's departure after 40Yrs with Radio 2FM at the end of January with a special themed day.

Aifric O'Connell on now, she has just announced "in for Larry". So maybe Larry will be back next weekend???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Heard that thought he was done.

I understand that Larry is due to broadcast on 31st January on 2FM which is meant to be his last day on that station with tributes lined-up. Apparently Larry has been on dialysis treatment three days a week which began several months ago. He will then migrate over to digital only station RTÉ Gold and I think his slot will be weekdays from 1:00-2:00pm with The Golden Hour all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I understand that Larry is due to broadcast on 31st January on 2FM which is meant to be his last day on that station with tributes lined-up. Apparently Larry has been on dialysis treatment three days a week which began several months ago. He will then migrate over to digital only station RTÉ Gold and I think his slot will be weekdays from 1:00-2:00pm with The Golden Hour all going well.

How's he going to manage 5 days a week when he hasn't made 1 half of the last year? I think it's ridiculous carry on. He should just hang up his cans and go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

They'll probably pre-record the shows

I'm aware of the 31st Jan... though will he be in his current slot 4 - 6 pm weekends, before the 31st?? as Aifric O'Connell stated yesterday at 4pm "in for Larry"??

• Registered Users Posts: 72,207 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just listened back to Tuesday’s Liveline, when Larry sat in with Joe.

Was Joe aware that:-

a) Larry is not dying (let’s mention arthitis and dialysis as much as possible),

b) Larry is not retiring, he is simply moving to a new station/platform,

c) The human race has been using the term ‘trending’ for a long time now (I KNOW DAT!)

Just listened back to Tuesday’s Liveline, when Larry sat in with Joe.

Was Joe aware that:-

a) Larry is not dying (let’s mention arthitis and dialysis as much as possible),

b) Larry is not retiring, he is simply moving to a new station/platform,

c) The human race has been using the term ‘trending’ for a long time now (I KNOW DAT!)

When there are quiet days and few topics generating much interest & enthusiasm, you will sometimes find The Ryan Tubridy Show, Today with Sean O'Rourke, Liveline, The Ray D'Arcy Show, The Pat Kenny Show discussing less important subjects in far too much detail as a means to fill airtime. Some broadcasters are great at disguising it but others can make it so obvious.

Looking back I think that Gay Byrne was highly effective at covering up if guests did not show up or if invited guests made little or no effort especially while Gay was presenter/producer of The Late Late Show. Other broadcasters who kept if flowing were Eamonn Dunphy on The Last Word on Today fm and George Hook on The Right Hook on Newstalk 106-108. Vincent Browne was also exciting on both radio & tv as you did not always know what was gonna happen next which made his shows more compelling at times.

Larry mentioning his dialysis sparked a discussion on the treatment of such patients the following day on liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I always enjoyed when Fanning stood in for Gerry Ryan when he was off back in the day. It would be a VERY different show, obviously, but he held the 3 hours well on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I always enjoyed when Fanning stood in for Gerry Ryan when he was off back in the day. It would be a VERY different show, obviously, but he held the 3 hours well on his own.

Also stands in for Tubridy now from time to time, which is relief.

Advertisement