Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That light charges in a USB port or use a USB plug. The bit sticking out at the rear is the charging port.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Thanks, I've tried various ports and plugs but nothing seems to work :(, do you know if a light comes on when charging? Currently when I turn on the light it flashes green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Thanks, I've tried various ports and plugs but nothing seems to work :(, do you know if a light comes on when charging? Currently when I turn on the light it flashes green.

As said earlier they plug into USB ports in your laptop/pc or whatever. they're slightly fiddly but they work. When charging it should pulse green.

Looks like it's dead, I'll try another few plugs but it doesn't look good. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

A longshot that you won't have tried this...but it will fit into the USB port with the button facing up or down (or left/right depending on port) I don't know which one is correct but only way will charge it...

Thanks Dan, that worked a treat. Runs away looking very silly.😮

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

I bought the rain jacket and wore it for the first time last week on a cold but dry day. I was out for about 45 mins and it kept the wind out and was comfortable but when I got home I discovered the inside was all condensation, including the sleeves. I wasn't sweating, but I was warm. Obviously it's not breathable so not suitable for summer use. I've yet to try it on a wet day....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Tried the waterproof socks this morning on a club spin with plenty of wintry showers and temperatures of 3 to 8 degrees. As expected, the outsides got quite wet despite wearing overshoes and having decent mudguards. The good news is that the insides and my feet stayed dry but the bad news is that my feet were freezing. I'm not sure if my favourite GripGrab socks would have been any better once wet but the Aldi socks certainly aren't the perfect solution. I might combine them with the heavy neoprene overshoes next time and see if that improves the performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

On the socks I have (and will be this evening) worn regular socks underneath. Then they're obviously better. I have found them to be dry if you tuck them into tights. In really heavy weather they fill with water if worn outside the tights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Ferris wrote: »
    On the socks I have (and will be this evening) worn regular socks underneath. Then they're obviously better. I have found them to be dry if you tuck them into tights. In really heavy weather they fill with water if worn outside the tights.

Ignore this sub standard advice. Wore the Aldi waterproof socks as described above this morning and they promptly filled with water, completely useless :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Ignore this sub standard advice. Wore the Aldo waterproof socks as described above this morning and they promptly filled with water, completely useless :(

aldi sell top quality plastic bags for less than a euro,
    thats the only thing that would keep your feet dry on day like this

heZnd-300x228.jpg

site_owner wrote: »
    aldi sell top quality plastic bags for less than a euro,
    thats the only thing that would keep your feet dry on day like this

heZnd-300x228.jpg

I recall a colleague regularly asking after he'd done something similar years ago to tape up around the holes he'd made in the bags for his cleats :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Used the Aldi socks and my feet were completely dry and I even used them when I was washing the car, and they got soaked and still kept my feet dry

Not Aldi but similar, Lidl are doing LED jogging wrist lights. I'm going to pick up a pair for indicating on the bike, plus make me easier to spot in the dark & rain from the side

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=632&week=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not Aldi but similar, Lidl are doing LED jogging wrist lights. I'm going to pick up a pair for indicating on the bike, plus make me easier to spot in the dark & rain from the side

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=632&week=2

Strangely, I posted something about wrist lights for the first time in ages yesterday:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108688533&postcount=7

As you say, they are good for indicating and side visibility. And pretending to wipe your brow so that the person driving towards you suddenly sees through the motion camouflage and slows down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Last delivery of Aldi bike gear half price in wexford now. Oil 2.99, saddles 5.99, lights 12.99 convertible jacket 14.99. I'd say its for all stores

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Ignore this sub standard advice. Wore the Aldi waterproof socks as described above this morning and they promptly filled with water, completely useless :(

Mine definitely got wet this weekend after three to four hours repetitive drizzle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, the rear light (the more expensive one from aldi) i bought about a year ago seems to have given up the ghost - it ran out of charge sooner than i expected recently, and i charged it three days ago and haven't used it since. except to turn it on this morning and it was giving a low battery warning. pity, it was a decent light.

thing is, it had not seen an unusually high amount of use. i typically used it for two commutes a week, maybe three hours a week use, during the winter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mine gave up this week too. Charging light comes on but it won't turn on. A pity. The ones I got the year before still work perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

They're pretty decent with warranty if you can find a receipt or proof of purchase . Just fill out the web form

[url]Https://www.aldi.ie/customer-services/warranties[/url]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Very good actually, inside a year and it's a no questions asked, up to 3 years and you have to post it in for inspection to the manufacturer.

Was in my local Aldi (sandyford) & noticed some of the last batch of specials are now on sale (i.e. very good locks were 10 now 4 euro)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I see that Lidl have the resistant trainer out this morning. Does anyone have any critiques or recommendations on this piece of equipment for an ordinary fair weather cyclist?

Thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Going to keep the Aldi/LIDL talk separate again for everyone's sanity

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I see that Lidl have the resistant trainer out this morning. Does anyone have any critiques or recommendations on this piece of equipment for an ordinary fair weather cyclist?

Thanks.

Not sure how much help it is but I got the Aldi one when it was out roughly 1.5 years ago. I find it to be a reasonably good basic trainer that lets me do some miles in the comfort of my own home in bad weather. There is not much in the way of features with these but if you want to clock some miles cheaply at various resistances then they are a good option.

Looking at the pics of the Lidl one the rear unit seems to be a little different and doesn't look as good to me. Have found Lidl very good for honouring a warranty so if there are any problems I am sure they will fix them.

There are a lot of second hand turbo trainers for sale as well so it might be worth looking at that option too as you could get a better brand trainer for the same money. Obviously there is a risk when buying second hand but there is very little to go wrong or wear out in a turbo trainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Anyone have any views on teh 1080p camera? €30 seems a great price. Anyone used it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Fian wrote: »
    Anyone have any views on teh 1080p camera? €30 seems a great price. Anyone used it?

I got one last time they had them and its not very good at reading car reg's once they go above 20 km/hr and when your cycling towards a low sun. They took it back for a full refund after a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

coL wrote: »
    Not sure how much help it is but I got the Aldi one when it was out roughly 1.5 years ago. I find it to be a reasonably good basic trainer that lets me do some miles in the comfort of my own home in bad weather. There is not much in the way of features with these but if you want to clock some miles cheaply at various resistances then they are a good option.

Looking at the pics of the Lidl one the rear unit seems to be a little different and doesn't look as good to me. Have found Lidl very good for honouring a warranty so if there are any problems I am sure they will fix them.

There are a lot of second hand turbo trainers for sale as well so it might be worth looking at that option too as you could get a better brand trainer for the same money. Obviously there is a risk when buying second hand but there is very little to go wrong or wear out in a turbo trainer.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

See Lidl have 20L 2 in 1 pannier/backpack on sale (weren't advertised in the special offers).

Anyone have experience with these? Planning a tour of the Netherlands in June, and the missus is looking to pick up inexpensive ones just in case she doesn't like touring - what are the chances of Lidl/Aldi stocking the Ortlieb style panniers in the next few months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My 2c:

+ Have the stand (and used the older version) - no brainer
    + The inflator is well made but its push not screw on - avoid
    + Damn that lock is heavy
    + Surprisingly they have a real XL helmet with rear light, unfortunately its very narrow at 3 and 9 oclock so probably only fits a 62cm head, not 64cm.
    + Curious how the trainer is
    + Jerseys seem kinda poor, some designs are dire
    + Jackets are great for €15, got one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ED E wrote: »
    My 2c:

+ Have the stand (and used the older version) - no brainer
    + The inflator is well made but its push not screw on - avoid
    + Damn that lock is heavy
    + Surprisingly they have a real XL helmet with rear light, unfortunately its very narrow at 3 and 9 oclock so probably only fits a 62cm head, not 64cm.
    + Curious how the trainer is
    + Jerseys seem kinda poor, some designs are dire
    + Jackets are great for €15, got one

Helmets seem good value - they were generally €15, then went up to €20 at one stage (maybe in Aldi), so at €11, you can't go wrong.

What do you mean about the inflator - that you have to push it onto the valve when inflating? Does this not work well?

What do you mean about the inflator - that you have to push it onto the valve when inflating? Does this not work well?

Yep. Cold hands at the roadside aren't the most skilled. Slight off angle and half the gass ends up venting. Screw on presta types with a valve control are foolproof (unless you pinch the tube).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Helmets seem good value - they were generally €15, then went up to €20 at one stage (maybe in Aldi), so at €11, you can't go wrong.

The helmets are ridiculous shapes, they sit on top of your head like a mushroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

ED E wrote: »
    Yep. Cold hands at the roadside aren't the most skilled. Slight off angle and half the gass ends up venting. Screw on presta types with a valve control are foolproof (unless you pinch the tube).

or unless they unscrew the valve core when you are removing them, repeatedly, until you run out of cartridges.

>.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

or unless they unscrew the valve core when you are removing them, repeatedly, until you run out of cartridges.

>.<

Thought I was the only one!! Ha!
    I took to removing the top part of the valves of new tubes, putting superglue that can be used for metal on the threads and then putting the top back in good and tight. Haven't unscrewed a valve since that (used to happen with my track pump sometimes, so hopefully that means I might be ok next time on the road).
    Possibly the freezing valve might make the glue brittle so it might not work in the end but hopefully it does!

>.<

I have had that happen once. Good idea to tighten it down before screwing on the inflator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Thargor wrote: »
    The helmets are ridiculous shapes, they sit on top of your head like a mushroom.

I was in Sports Direct/Heatons in Blanchardstown a few weeks back as I had time to kill and I came across a bunch of Muddy Fox gear, including a decent variety of helmets. I tried on a few, the large sizes fitted me better, and I was pleasantly surprised to feel how comfy they were compared to my current Bell one.

However when I took a quick walk through more recently after picking up something for one of my kids they weren't in the area they were previously. So they're either all gone, or just moved elsewhere in the store. I think they cost in the range of €10 - €20 .

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭emclau

Next Aldi cycling sale is on Thur 9th May.. no details of what is included yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭secman

emclau wrote: »
    Next Aldi cycling sale is on Thur 9th May.. no details of what "
    i went through my winter and summer kit bags over the weekend and ended up with a very large bag of gear, some with little use and some in wrappers. Called a guy i know down in Wexford who goes out with a group who doddle around, he was so grateful when i dropped it around to him to share with his group.
    My other half says i am now a cycling snob when it comes to gear, tried explaining the concept of club cycling kits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Next Aldi cycling sale is on Thur 9th May.. no details of what is included yet..

I'd be fairly confident it'll be the usual suspects they're fairly consistent
    • Helmets
    • Jerseys
    • Jackets
    • Glasses
    • Bibs shorts/leggings
    • Gloves
    • Socks
    • Thermals - Merinos were actually decent last year
    • Locks - folding/D locks - heavy but good for shed
    • Lights - LED/USB & cheaper law abiding ones for the bar hopper
    • Bike stands
    • Work stands
    • CO2 inflators
    • Pumps
    • Puncture repair kits
    • Saddle bags
    • lubes/oils etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

Does anybody know if it's Lidl or Aldi that do the bike tool kit (biggish one with BB and pedal spanners, and such)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

cletus wrote: »
    Does anybody know if it's Lidl or Aldi that do the bike tool kit (biggish one with BB and pedal spanners, and such)

It’s pretty rubbish to be honest so I wouldn’t bother with it. The chain tool is poor quality as is the cassette removal socket. Buy the tools you need when you need them.

It’s pretty rubbish to be honest so I wouldn’t bother with it. The chain tool is poor quality as is the cassette removal socket. Buy the tools you need when you need them.

Cheers. I'd never looked at it before, and although I've a fairly extensive tool collection, there are a few specific bits I wouldn't have. I know the likes of Park tools do similar sets, but they tend to be stupidly expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a bunch of panniers left over in Lidl Rathfarnham if anyone is looking.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with that I've built up several bikes with that kit vintage and new. Fair enough I have my other tools which fair enough are better but for the price point it's very handy to have and I usually grab the set if calling out to fix up a mates bike.

Can you remember which shop it came from?

cletus wrote: »
    Can you remember which shop it came from?

I'd assume it was Aldi there's one near me and Lidl is the far side of town I'd rarely go there.

Actually you know what I'm an idiot, I recall I picked up a kit in halfords as they hadn't any left in Aldi when I went over. :o

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd assume it was Aldi there's one near me and Lidl is the far side of town I'd rarely go there.

Actually you know what I'm an idiot, I recall I picked up a kit in halfords as they hadn't any left in Aldi when I went over. :o

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Seen Aldi have a few Muc Off range in stock on Thursday, anyone know what the difference between the bog standard Muc Off and the Muc Off Urban they'll be flogging is?

Guessing that the Urban range isn't as robust at removing a fair bit of dirt/crud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

they have this in the UK :eek::)

• Advertisement

they have this in the UK :eek::)

That's actually pretty cool save you working up a sweat if you've no changing facilities.

Advertisement