Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Think I'll be returning the camera. It turned off 3 times on my way home yesterday and once this morning on the way into work. Also, despite having footage of a very close/dangerous pass yesterday evening I did nothing with it - the hassle involved in finding software to cut the clip in question out and doing something with it doesn't seem worth it, especially as I'd calmed down by the time I got home! Not having the loop recording is a pain as you've to download/delete the card after each trip.

Anyone who wants to keep the camera should really just buy a 32GB card. Complete waste of time running that 8GB one. You should get a few days worth out of the 32GB card, and they only cost a tenner or so.

And as for cutting/editing clips, it all depends on what you want the camera for, but for most the priority should be to catch a plate in a collision. I compile some clips together from time to time and have gotten used to the software to do so, but it is a pain to do all the time.

Granted if the camera is failing then it should be returned regardless of all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Anyone who wants to keep the camera should really just buy a 32GB card. Complete waste of time running that 8GB one. You should get a few days worth out of the 32GB card, and they only cost a tenner or so.

And as for cutting/editing clips, it all depends on what you want the camera for, but for most the priority should be to catch a plate in a collision. I compile some clips together from time to time and have gotten used to the software to do so, but it is a pain to do all the time.

Granted if the camera is failing then it should be returned regardless of all that...

TBH I'd probably keep it if it didn't keep turning off mid cycle and spend the extra on upgrading the card but I guess it's just a combination of all 3 things together that don't make it worth while for me.

I think I thought if I had a camera I'd report all the crazy lunatics that put our lives in danger every day but there are so many!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

As an aside - I use this with my car dash cam, works quite well.

Dont't know if the bike cam files are the same.

http://www.registratorviewer.com/RegistratorViewer/index_en.html

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

TBH I'd probably keep it if it didn't keep turning off mid cycle and spend the extra on upgrading the card but I guess it's just a combination of all 3 things together that don't make it worth while for me.

I think I thought if I had a camera I'd report all the crazy lunatics that put our lives in danger every day but there are so many!!

Too right. Way too many. I just started using the Virb edit software (mpeg4 not avi). My fly6 records avi so I use 'freevideoconverter 'for that. It's handy enough to edit on Virb (recommended by a boardie).

I now have to decide whether to call into a station with a clip or two. It's a dilemma. If you are unhurt is that ok? I think not. It's still dangerous. If these motorists are not at least cautioned, they will continue to be a menace. Then, if they do hit somebody, it would be better if the records showed form for crazy/aggressive driving. Better to build the case one incident at a time and get them off the road, one at a time...! They ruin one of the simple joys of life – cycling home from work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

From the recordings I have so far I am more than happy with the camera. It seems to focus on "infinity" which the Fly6 fails at. If you are out to make a movie, it's not for you, get a Gopro or something. But If you just need evidence, and I hope you never will, then it seems to do the job. This is based on short term use, obviously!

For those asking about cutting clips, windowsmovie maker is probably the best and handiest to use, but no longer about, in general. You can get it still but there is no guarantee it will works with your computer's OS. I have win10 on a 32bit laptop and it works fine. You can add words and all that fancy stuff.

You can however use VLC to crop your video, but you can't add titles, subtitles etc, you could probably add them using uTube? VLC also has a Frame by frame facility which is very useful. You'd be surprised how you can't see a reg in a video but can when in frame by frame mode. To record a clip, just hit the "record" button when the video is playing. It's usually saved to the default windows Video folder.

Don't become the next CyclingDub though or DubCycling, whatever his name was. Please. You don't want to be that person.

VLC Pic below.
    dvssig.jpg

I cut the following video this evening from a virb 3.5gigil'obits file using VLC.

Lights are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1, VLC is the easiest way to cut and post footage. Do it the exact same way as Unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

My Aldi camera definitely does look recording. I formatted sd card. Have had no issues with it turning off. Get about 55mins of footage on 8gb card. Have now purchased 32gb one. I think for the price quality is excellent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Stopped on me twice, the second time I heard it beep and just turned it back on, no issues with memory.

Still debating whether to keep it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

detones wrote: »
    My Aldi camera definitely does look recording. I formatted sd card.
    Mine arrived from England, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. So it does do loop recording? And Fat32 for the formatting?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Mine arrived from England, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. So it does do loop recording? And Fat32 for the formatting?

Got mine a few days ago and only got a chance to play around with it at the weekend in the house (didn't get to go for a ride with it).

On Saturday I reformatted it using the SD formatter (recommended for formatting SD cards) and when I turned it on it turned itself off after 20 minutes twice. I was expecting this from the reviews I read but when I switched it back on for the third time it recorded 9 hours (had the light turned off and just the camera on) non stop and was loop recording.

Turned it back on to record on Sunday (without changing any settings) to see if it would do the same and it kept beeping and turning of after 20 mins. this happened 5-6 times

Not sure why it would go from working ok to turning off every 20 mins but I am going to try ringing customer support to see what they say.

• Advertisement

I was away over the weekend so never got around to returning mine, gave it another go this morning and yes, it does seem to do loop recording, this mornings videos are gone and replaced with the one's coming home... It didn't turn off at all on the way in but it did once on the way home. I might take the plunge and get a 32gb card and format that tomorrow - if that fixes the turning off issue I'll keep the light. It'll be back up in case of an accident instead of using it to report every Tom, Dick (!) and Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

NBar wrote: »
    from another site

"I got this reply from Quesh today when I emailed them about the shutting off problem

We are currently waiting on the national holiday in China to finish so we can obtain the firmware for this item.

This will be available on our website as an update within the next 2 weeks."

No news on this, I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

detones wrote: »
    My Aldi camera definitely does look recording. I formatted sd card. Have had no issues with it turning off. Get about 55mins of footage on 8gb card. Have now purchased 32gb one. I think for the price quality is excellent.

I got it at the weekend, I'm happy that the charge will last me a few days unlike my Aldi Camera glasses which have to be charged after only using it for 50 minutes (enough to cover my commute but a pain to have to charge twice daily).

I haven't checked the video quality and I'm hoping that it does loop recording but what does bother me is that it won't sit straight on my seat post no matter hwo much I tighten the strap.

I haven't checked the video quality and I'm hoping that it does loop recording but what does bother me is that it won't sit straight on my seat post no matter hwo much I tighten the strap.

I use the bigger wedge that came with it and both straps, doesn't budge for me, or maybe try both wedges together?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bray Aldi has 5 of the cameras in stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CramCycle wrote: »
    Bray Aldi has 5 of the cameras in stock

Aldi in Coolock too (earlier today, in the locked glass cabinet).. Lots of arm & leg warmers, gloves and lights too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Clonee has one camera in the cabinet and leg warmers and a couple of lights. The rear light was very disappointing considering its one of the newer cob led versions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

The rear "high performance" light lasted about four hours on flashing mode which is a bit less than I'd hoped. I'd be surprised if you'd get an hour at the brightest setting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was that from the charge straight from the packet?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

I got it at the weekend, I'm happy that the charge will last me a few days unlike my Aldi Camera glasses which have to be charged after only using it for 50 minutes (enough to cover my commute but a pain to have to charge twice daily).

I use the velcro strap and a spare plastic strap from Cateye lights, very solid, the straps provided are poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

No news on this, I suppose?

No I've seen nothing back yet but if I do I'll post it up here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

Rear light charge was first use, but I plugged them in to "topup" first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jerseyman

Long time board follower so thought I'd sign up and contribute some feedback after benefitting from the ops post.

Got the two Merino tops, full zip Jersey, winter gloves & camera/light. Merino base is light with big hole for head. Still good fit for my regular med size. Merino zip is good fit med again & think works well being mixed with other materials. Don't get the zip coming almost to the end. Why not full zip or small bit at top. The full zip top isn't too warm which is nice for this Autumn weather, med is an athletic fit. Gloves I don't think it'll get cold enough but good to have.

The camera/light gives pretty good footage, can see plates & does loop recording. Velcro strap is too big and poor. Maybe if were leaving it on bike could get a good grip with rubber etc but not for on/off commuting. I tried using a hose clip with another bike light bracket but was too shakey. Working on another hack... Seems a lot of people have same prob with fly6

Cheers, all that kit 130

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Tried the light camera light at the weekend, it works well and plates can be easily read. The strap is crap and I’m working on a fix also. Haven’t work per out if it loop records.
    I’m also very impressed with the Merino top for its wicking properties, Merino is now the way forward. The fit is ok, bought a medium where I normally wear large.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

after me bellyaching about the garmin edge 25 being 'reduced' from €130 to €90 in pretty much all aldis within a few km of here (having been 'reduced' for maybe 18 months), i picked one up today for €45. probably been sitting in the display case that long.

also, finally opened the performance bike light i bought a week or two back; it comes with three clips; one for the helmet, one for the seatstays, and one for a handlebar or seat post. which is great, but the latter clip is actually too small for the poxy light to sit into.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Has anyone got a copy of the config file for the camera/light that they could PM onto me please?
    Can't seem to locate it and the camera is about 8 hours ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

after me bellyaching about the garmin edge 25 being 'reduced' from €130 to €90 in pretty much all aldis within a few km of here (having been 'reduced' for maybe 18 months), i picked one up today for €45. probably been sitting in the display case that long.

That’s a great deal! Worth all the ache!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

also, finally opened the performance bike light i bought a week or two back; it comes with three clips; one for the helmet, one for the seatstays, and one for a handlebar or seat post. which is great, but the latter clip is actually too small for the poxy light to sit into.
    I experienced this problem when I got the light first.  Put you will find that the light will fit, you just need to push it in quite hard (and be careful not to break the locking tab on the clip).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jerseyman

Has anyone got a copy of the config file for the camera/light that they could PM onto me please?
    Can't seem to locate it and the camera is about 8 hours ahead

You need to plug the camera into a PC with the USB cable and memory card in camera/light. The config file doesn't appear if put the memory card directly into a SD card slot. Well that's what I noticed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Any sign of a firmware update for the rear light/camera issue?

The 20 minute auto-off feature is great for FTP tests though.

Advertisement