Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

And god help those who are recruited.

I can not begin to imagine the pay and conditions they will be entering under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

And god help those who are recruited.

I can not begin to imagine the pay and conditions they will be entering under.

If I was to get in, I would be more worried about the conditions and cuts on safety than the pay, as I have said before I am low paid at the moment going into the job its a job I want to do so long as I am enjoying it the pay shouldn't be that much of an issue.

That may be how it looks from the outside in, but I believe it's a different kettle of fish when you're in, and see all the **** that gardaí have to put up with.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 cronyism

It'll be like the nurses,starting off around 21,000e to 22,000e a year with no allowances, probably a five year contract,maybe increment every three years instead of every year.Also time off in lieu instead of overtime so no potential to earn extra money.Basically it'll take years for a new garda to earn the same take home pay as a garda in his/her first year before recession.It beggars belief how new gardai will get by when ones out now say they aren't getting by yet article in Sunday Business Post claimed they are one of the highest if not the highest paid police force in Europe.
    Its still a job though!

Highest paid in Europe.....in one of the most expensive countries in Europe, shouldering more debt than the average European.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Anyone any updates on Garda Recruitment for 2013? maybe when, requirements etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

just found this through the archives

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0616/302462-garda/#video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Is it fair to say that with all the cuts recently to the public sector that the Gardai is not as attractive a job financially as it was 7/8 years ago?
    Of course it was never a profession that was to be looked at favourably as a big money making job.I wonder will the cuts weed out some of the people who were going to apply purely for the relatively good salary to be earned.
    Personally the money was never my main motive for applying as I wanted to be a guard since the age of 17.
    As someone said on here before this profession should be seen as "not a job but a calling".Best of luck to ye all applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Is it fair to say that with all the cuts recently to the public sector that the Gardai is not as attractive a job financially as it was 7/8 years ago?
    Of course it was never a profession that was to be looked at favourably as a big money making job.I wonder will the cuts weed out some of the people who were going to apply purely for the relatively good salary to be earned.
    Personally the money was never my main motive for applying as I wanted to be a guard since the age of 17.
    As someone said on here before this profession should be seen as "not a job but a calling".Best of luck to ye all applying.

So far Reserves are doing it for nothing. I feel this is a good filter as it cuts those who are in it for the money from those who as you said are answering "the calling". Its a tough job harder than anyone outside AGS will ever understand but for some I bet theres nothing quiet like it. Good luck to anyone who applies for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    So far Reserves are doing it for nothing. I feel this is a good filter as it cuts those who are in it for the money from those who as you said are answering "the calling". Its a tough job harder than anyone outside AGS will ever understand but for some I bet theres nothing quiet like it. Good luck to anyone who applies for it!!!

The reserves receive around 1000e once they serve there yearly hours afik.I've applied myself last september but have yet to receive a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

The reserves receive around 1000e once they serve there yearly hours afik.I've applied myself last september but have yet to receive a reply.
    Ok ya but thats not exactly the motivation for doing the job. Anyways good luck to everyone out there..hopefully theyll recruit sooner than later

1000 for expenses. If you do the maths on it, works out about 4.80EURO P/H if you only do 208 Hours.

Get in touch with PAS if your still at stage 1 , awful long wait just to get an interview !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

I have a pass leaving cert. I don't have a 2nd language. I have English, but failed Irish in my leaving. Since that time, several years since, I've managed to obtain a National Diploma (NDip), pass with distinction, and a Bachelor of Science Degree (BSc) with honours. I have applied to the Garda reserve and recently had to apply for an 'educational exemption' because I had no second language from my leaving. The application for the 'educational exemption' seemed to focus more on what my leadership skills were and my community involvement. It didn't seen to focus on the fact that I had a NDip and a BSc although I was asked on the form what other qualifications I had.
    My question is will I be able to apply to the full time force when recruitment begins again? Will my NDip and a BSc be deemed as 'Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above i.e the requirements from the leaving)', as I don't have the 2nd language or will I be ruled out regardless.
    I might add I was successful for the application for 'educational exemption'' for the reserves (Not having a 2nd language) but would I be for the full time force? Could I apply at all? Seems strange that I couldn't. I'm not sure?
    Any opinions out there? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

As far as I can see, the qualifications will only be see as adequate equivalents if they cover the area that your missing eg a language, other than that they won't really exempt you from having to have a second language. I'm not exactly sure, the only way you can be sure is to ring up and ask (don't ask me who to ring), iv heard of an office that can be rang up for information on boards before.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Would a University Political degree be of any advantage? Nearly have one myself.

thekopend wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the qualifications will only be see as adequate equivalents if they cover the area that your missing eg a language, other than that they won't really exempt you from having to have a second language. I'm not exactly sure, the only way you can be sure is to ring up and ask (don't ask me who to ring), iv heard of an office that can be rang up for information on boards before.

Yes you were right. I got 'official' word today that I would need a 2nd language from my leaving. Regardless of all degrees etc. Now if I had a degree in which for e.g Spanish, German etc were a major part etc I'd be ok. I accept it and those are the regulations. I guess I'll just have to re-sit leaving cert Irish or forget about it!

DustyMan wrote: »
    Yes you were right. I got 'official' word today that I would need a 2nd language from my leaving. Regardless of all degrees etc. Now if I had a degree in which for e.g Spanish, German etc were a major part etc I'd be ok. I accept it and those are the regulations. I guess I'll just have to re-sit leaving cert Irish or forget about it!

Nearly sure I have to go back for Irish next year, might aswell upgrade the math level while I am at it.

Unbelievable that I can say around 10 words in Irish after nearly 10+ years of studying Irish. Is it my fault ? Comparing it to some other skills I picked up in school I think not, I would have more an idea how to build a roof on a house than tell you how to turn left at the top of the road in Irish. The Irish course needs to be brought into the modern arena.

msg11 wrote: »

Unbelievable that I can say around 10 words in Irish after nearly 10+ years of studying Irish. Is it my fault ? Comparing it to some other skills I picked up in school I think not, I would have more an idea how to build a roof on a house than tell you how to turn left at the top of the road in Irish. The Irish course needs to be brought into the modern arena.

Same as myself mate, I was never any use at languages but surely a person would have a decent knowledge of the language after all the classes that would have been taken in 10 years :confused::confused: Most of the people I know who went through the leaving cert couldn't throw a sentence together in Irish

That reminds me, I'm not even sure if I passed Irish in my leaving cert either, I'm dreading find out just incase I havnt got it :(

If you want me 2 cents.
    I say you should try your hand at one of the new emerging languages.

Try getting Polish, Russian or even Chinese classes in the evenings.
    It would really set you apart and would give you something unique to bring to the table.

If you want me 2 cents.
    I say you should try your hand at one of the new emerging languages.

Try getting Polish, Russian or even Chinese classes in the evenings.
    It would really set you apart and would give you something unique to bring to the table.

Do you not need Irish regardless?

• Advertisement

Do you not need Irish regardless?

No. The requirement for Irish was changed. You must have 2 languages from you leaving, I,e English and any other language e.g French, German, Spanish, or Irish. Before you had to have Irish from the Leaving. Now English and another language (which does not need to be Irish).

Nearly sure I have to go back for Irish next year, might aswell upgrade the math level while I am at it.

Going of the 'subject' so to speak. The Irish teacher we had (a lay teacher), from my secondary school, was a bully and ruled the class likewise. He put the fear of God into everyone. Consequently the Irish classes with him were viewed with dread and fear. It didn't help the 'learning environment'! Well that's my excuse anyway (having failed Irish in my leaving).

This is a good email to have for Garda HQ in regard to recruitment (however prob. most of you know that here?);

appointments@garda.ie

They can normally answer any queries (well they have in my case) one would have in regards to queries about recruitment i.e educational requirements, medical condition queries, et cetera. Don't ask them when the next recruitment drive will be however! That's one thing they don't know. Although I suspect it may not be far away.

yenom wrote: »
    Would a University Political degree be of any advantage? Nearly have one myself.

Certainly would. And in the current political climate a prerequisite I'd say!! ;-)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 asgaeilge

DustyMan wrote: »
    Certainly would. And in the current political climate a prerequisite I's say!! ;-)

connection to a senior politician could help also!

asgaeilge wrote: »
    connection to a senior politician could help also!

As a friend of mine would say, "It would be funny if it wasn't true!". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

In relation to relevant qualifications I can only assume that there will be people from all walks of life applying with just great LC results to PhD holders all with varying degrees of life experience. When this campaign is said and done it would be interesting to see the average age profile and education level of sucessful applicants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

If i was to offer some advice on the language issue i would say learn Polish or Chinese

based on my experience as a Reserve Garda, these are the two most common languages I have been met with after English

Irish would be miles down the list after Russian, Spanish and a variety of African Dialects

although im a huge advocate of learning our native tongue, in terms of your day to day policing, Polish would be number 1 followed by Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

When did the Gardai recruit models !!

• Advertisement

3fullback wrote: »
    When did the Gardai recruit models !!
    she is verrry pretty lol

WilcoOut wrote: »
    If i was to offer some advice on the language issue i would say learn Polish or Chinese

based on my experience as a Reserve Garda, these are the two most common languages I have been met with after English

Irish would be miles down the list after Russian, Spanish and a variety of African Dialects

although im a huge advocate of learning our native tongue, in terms of your day to day policing, Polish would be number 1 followed by Chinese

Polish is probably easier than Irish to learn anyway :D Anyone think it'd be any benifit to get another category of license? I was gonna go and get my C license but would I be better off trying for another category of license?

Advertisement