Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Very hard to tell the quality of a beast through numbers :pac:

suppose the higher € means better quality. to be fair I didn't really make note of them this time as I was more looking at what I have at home myself.
    wondering if the extra journey and hassle back there was worth it over the trip to listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Sold a few yesterday in Ballina
    Ch heifer 388kgs 820 born late feb
    Lm heifer 275kgs 760 born early April
    Ch bull 295gs 720 born early April
    Ch bull 450gs 1000 born late January

Happy enough with the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

About half the weanlings in Skibb mart last Friday were unsold. A friend of mine said prices were chronic.... i told him they were realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

About half the weanlings in Skibb mart last Friday were unsold. A friend of mine said prices were chronic.... i told him they were realistic.

Was inside in Ennis mart for a while today, (just looking)
    Huge mart, full of Weanlings must be over 1200 on offer. Oki-sh prices for the top stuff. Best price I saw was for a pair of lovely Charolais 325kg €890
    Some chronic bad prices too, many unsold. I saw good limousine Weanling bulls fail to make €600 :eek: I don't think the heifers were any better.
    I remember seeing dairy cross bull calves making over €500 last spring!!

I don't see a future in producing a €600 Weanling, they are not even covering the cost of the cow now. If that's a realistic price then realistically theirs no future in Suckler farming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

You were right but how long will the realism last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Huge mart, full of Weanlings must be over 1200 on offer. Oki-sh prices for the top stuff. Best price I saw was for a pair of lovely Charolais 325kg €890
    Some chronic bad prices too, many unsold. I saw good limousine Weanling bulls fail to make €600 :eek: I don't think the heifers were any better.

I don't see a future in producing a €600 Weanling, they are not even covering the cost of the cow now. If that's a realistic price then realistically theirs no future in Suckler farming

Hasn't been a future in suckling since decoupling

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Your last paragraph was what I was getting at. And to be more precise, your last sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

they never post the poorer prices in their report

https://www.facebook.com/notes/clare-co-operative-marts/ennis-mart-tuesday-15th-october-2019/915479902153432/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

This post reminds me of a similar post earlier on this year when dairy cross calves didn't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Base price wrote: »
    This post reminds me of a similar post earlier on this year when dairy cross calves didn't sell.

They were good enough trade in macroom saturday any thing around the250 to 300 kgs that were nice were making from 230 to270 akg bulls and heifers ,anything plain or black were a poor trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭High bike

They were good enough trade in macroom saturday any thing around the250 to 300 kgs that were nice were making from 230 to270 akg bulls and heifers ,anything plain or black were a poor trade.
    don't get this black b.s. they'r all the same colour hanging up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

What are handy HR heifers born last spring making?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What are handy HR heifers born last spring making?

Have not seen them at a mart but I imagine not more than 1.5/kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Dozer1

In castleisland today and it's very poor 10 nice CH bullocks 568 Kgs unsold at 900 euro as an example born June 2017.

Show cattle only sold average earlier.

Listowel
    Bull
    Lm 355kg March  €765
    Black Lm 395kg Jan €700
    Lm 345kg Mar €700
    Black lm 410kg Jan €750
    Ch 418kg Feb €850
    Ch 275kg April € 500 not sold
    Ch 295kg april €630
    Ch 550kg may 18 €755
    Ch 370kg Mar €700
    Lm 380kg  Feb € 810
    Lm 368kg Jan €710
    Lm 385kg Dec €775

Lm 200kg April €495
    Lm 302kg Dec €620
    Ch 408kg Mar €765
    Lm 280kg may €535

Lm 355kg Mar €650
    Lm 335kg Dec €560 not sold
    Ch 370kg Feb € 690
    Ch 310kg Mar €720
    Lm  315kg Feb €640
    Ch 420kg Feb €855

Lm 320kg may €
    Lm 280kg may €700

Ch  270kg April  €500 not sold

Ch feb 315kg €725
    Lm 305kg Mar €755
    Lm 260kg Mar €555
    Lm 295kg Mar €745
    Lm 235kg April €530

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Dozer1 wrote: »
    In castleisland today and it's very poor 10 nice CH bullocks 568 Kgs unsold at 900 euro as an example born June 2017.

Show cattle only sold average earlier.

There was a special bullock and bull weanling sale in our town yesterday. I was working in the mart as usual but have a job for a few bullocks atm so​ spent some time ringside. The general run of quality 2018 born stores was either side of €2 a kilo up to circa 550kg. Once you went above this weight or dropped back in quality the prices​ were back to €1.70-80 a kilo. Anything 2017 born or very plain wasn't wanted at all and €1.50 a kilo wouldn't have been uncommon, these would be all sucker bred stock. I bought 3 golden CHx bullocks, all April 18 born and only 2 movements,
    400kg @ €850 (best bullock imo, weighing nothing off a bad place)
    450kg @ €800 (tall hungry bullock)
    520kg @ €900 (fleshy butt of a lad).

There standing €860 a piece including commission @ 455kg. As to whether they'll leave money I don't know but they can't be much good to the seller at those prices. They'd probably have made the guts of €700 a piece last April. I wasn't over at the weanlings for long as I hadn't any business there but a relation of my own bought 8 good golden farmers CHx calves all spring 19 born 365kg average @ €840. If he had stuck to the heavier calves they would probably be 420kg average at the same money. I saw a few 320kg lads @ circa €850 and the same types 420kg again @ €850.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

SFP came out today so be interesting to see if that has an impact on prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’ve a few booked into Ennis for next week. Some a bit young but might make space in the shed. My driver said prices are awful bad there. I only noticed now that there are no Mart reports for Ennis since August. Bad sign.

I’ll see what my numbers are and decide to keep or not. I’ve a few empty cows to go in a month. They’ll make space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭High bike

I’ve a few booked into Ennis for next week. Some a bit young but might make space in the shed. My driver said prices are awful bad there. I only noticed now that there are no Mart reports for Ennis since August. Bad sign.

I’ll see what my numbers are and decide to keep or not. I’ve a few empty cows to go in a month. They’ll make space.
    what kind of trade are goodish empty cows at the minute 700 kg +

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

High bike wrote: »

No clue, sorry. I never get to the mart with work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Now that there is probably a Brexit deal on the table, unless the demented 10 DUP MP’s have another hissy fit, things might get better in the cattle trade.

I’m filling the shed like never before in any case. Plenty farmers hanging back and not buying. When they see a flush of nice grass next April, they will kill one another bidding prices up at the ringside.
    There’s no middle ground with the live trade. It’s either farmers talking it down or bidding it up. As sure as apples are apple, the bidding up follow the talking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

"Albert wrote:
    If he had stuck to the heavier calves they would probably be 420kg average at the same money. I saw a few 320kg lads @ circa €850 and the same types 420kg again @ €850.
    Would 420kg not be too strong to squeeze?

High bike wrote: »

Depends on the scope of the cow but circa €1.50 a kilo? Cows are a mine field and prices can vary from a euro a kilo up to near €2 a kilo for continental types depending on age, frame ect. From what I see of the general run of goodish cows that weight lately there from €1000-1200 a piece.

Would 420kg not be too strong to squeeze?

In my experience no although it's important to remember there's legal protocol to follow regarding​ age limits and anesthetic. It would be preferable to squeeze them when younger and lighter but you have to work with what you have. Once you keep an eye on any swelling or associated problems it shouldn't be any more trouble than with lighter calves. Those weight's are better value atm and a good percentage of them will be squeezed, especially with bull beef falling out of popularity. Squeezing an 400kg calf that's 9 months old is no different imo to squeezing a 300kg 14 month old comrade. Yes they'll both suffer a temporary growth set back but it's not a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

The run of the store heifers in Elphin today were about €2 per kg, a bit more for real quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Now that there is probably a Brexit deal on the table, unless the demented 10 DUP MP’s have another hissy fit, things might get better in the cattle trade.

I’m filling the shed like never before in any case. Plenty farmers hanging back and not buying. When they see a flush of nice grass next April, they will kill one another bidding prices up at the ringside.
    There’s no middle ground with the live trade. It’s either farmers talking it down or bidding it up. As sure as apples are apple, the bidding up follow the talking down.

That's the spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I love the sound of that but cant see it happening. Beef farming isnd going to recover to what we were use to but I hope I am proofed wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭morphy87

What kind of money are Charlois bullocks making,say 450 to 470 kgs April to May 18? And is there many of these type of cattle in the Mart’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Sold 15 LMx & CHx Spring 18 heifers yesterday in Castleisland,
    avg weight 457kgs avg price 893 euro so 1.95 p/kg
    given the trade that was there was happy enough for the year that's in it

• Advertisement

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Sold 15 LMx & CHx Spring 18 heifers yesterday in Castleisland,
    avg weight 457kgs avg price 893 euro so 1.95 p/kg
    given the trade that was there was happy enough for the year that's in it

Was it adult trade there yesterday? Time it start?

Advertisement