Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options
  • 14-01-2019 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

I might be jumping the gun here but I'm wondering whether Eir have already started their new urban FTTH rollout.

Drogheda street in Balbriggan has parts of DPs with rolls of fibre attached along it's length. This is definitely the town, not rural .....and new.

I'll post a pic later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

SCRATCH THAT.......it's SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Disqualified for a false start! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

OpenEIR can't start their Urban FTTH project until they have their Rural one completed. So no earlier than July 2019.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEIR can't start their Urban FTTH project until they have their Rural one completed. So no earlier than July 2019.

/M

Do we know if this is going to happen, even then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Liamario wrote: »

It has to happen at some stage or else they will lose all customers to SIRO and Virgin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

KN defusion and Eir were rolling out fibre in ducts Thurles town centre all last week. 8 green eir vans at least parked up throughout the town. Defusion pick ups at the back of Thurles Shopping Centre

KN defusion and Eir were rolling out fibre in ducts Thurles town centre all last week. 8 green eir vans at least parked up throughout the town. Defusion pick ups at the back of Thurles Shopping Centre

Probably connecting up all the rural connection that lead out of the town. Most rural and national roads a few km from the town will be covered and I don't think any are live yet so they have probably fallen behind.

Liamario wrote: »

It has officially been announced. So . if Niel wants it, that is what it is.

Also .. as others said ... Eir are loosing lots of customers due to Virgin expansion and SIRO building. They have to do something.

/M

tuxy wrote: »
    Probably connecting up all the rural connection that lead out of the town. Most rural and national roads a few km from the town will be covered and I don't think any are live yet so they have probably fallen behind.

Rural Thurles went live back in July though the same time as the Borrisoleigh exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Nothing stopping Eir from reselling SIRO connection

• Advertisement

boardzz wrote: »
    Nothing stopping Eir from reselling SIRO connection

Apart from the fact, that they haven't got the contracts in place to do it. Nor the interest to do it.

Also .. SIRO is not a product, that is resold. SIRO is only last mile. Every providers network behind that is a complete different story.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eir have just gone live on the outskirts of Ballinasloe as part of the rural roll-out.
    I did notice though that as they were running the fibre out to feed the rural, they also came out of the duct and up some poles in a few urban areas and left coils of fibre up on the poles. These are in areas currently served by VDSL.

I'd imagine it's advance work in preparation for the urban roll-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Passing through Cabra in North Dublin this morning and noticed poles marked with D plates which could well be the start of the process there.

Those D plates mean technicians can for H&S reasons only climb by cherrypicker. You see them on poles close to roads/footpaths or in rural places where the poles are old and in poor condition.

Those D plates mean technicians can for H&S reasons only climb by cherrypicker. You see them on poles close to roads/footpaths or in rural places where the poles are old and in poor condition.

It means the pole is Defective and due to be replaced. It is one of the first preparatory steps for the rollout of fibre cable and a large number of D plates in a given area us a good sign that fibre is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Marlow wrote: »

/M

If they don't start their urban rollout soon they'll have lost a hell of a lot of customers to virgin and Siro.

That Cork City rollout of Siro is seriously game changing for Eir.

Also what's stopping from doing both simultaneously? They use contractors for most of their rollouts and would have staff in place in urban areas anyway for FTTC and PSTN.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Also what's stopping from doing both simultaneously? They use contractors for most of their rollouts and would have staff in place in urban areas anyway for FTTC and PSTN.

- Not enough work force ?

They have plenty of problems just keeping the current rural rollout on track.

/M

Kn are still very busy in Thurles blowing fibre throughout the town. On Friar street today. West Gate yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0211/1028809-eir-broadband-investment/
    Eir has announced a further €0.5 billion investment in its fixed broadband network which will see fibre to the home connectivity brought to an additional 1.4 premises around the country.

The move, which will deliver speeds of up to 10Gbps, will take five years to complete.

180 towns and cities will be included in the upgrade, with every town with more than 1,000 premises on the list.

However, while the investment will bring a significant increase in speeds to those who already have Eir based fibre to the cabinet broadband access, it will not deliver fibre connectivity to any premises in rural Ireland that do not have it.

Those homes and businesses will still have to wait for the rollout of the long-awaited government National Broadband Plan (NBP).

The first of the new premises will be connected by Eir around September of this year.

Well, at least it's something. I won't hold my breath though.

I've actually switched to Digiweb to hedge my bets between which comes first to my street, Siro's planned and OpenEir's probably possible too.

• Advertisement

The 10Gbs is a surprise. Do they intend to go for that from the start?

KOR101 wrote: »
    The 10Gbs is a surprise. Do they intend to go for that from the start?

Well, the network would be capable of 10Gbit/s from the start. That's already the case with Siro - trials were done. The technology's very much the same.

To be fair to OpenEir, they've gone for state-of-the-art with FTTC too with good implementation of vectoring and have better speeds than a lot of similar products in countries like the UK and around Europe.

The one thing that's keeping me optimistic about OpenEir's current trajectory is their current CEO is a former head of networks who knows her way around this stuff. It's relatively unusual to have someone who's a techie by background in the driving seat. Usually it's an accountant.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Well, the network would be capable of 10Gbit/s from the start. That's already the case with Siro - trials were done. The technology's very much the same.
    I mean 10Gbs to the consumer. I thought that means a different technoligy at the consumer's house.

GPON supports 10gbit/s and Siro has already trialled it back in 2017 : https://irishtechnews.ie/siro-and-huawei-successfully-trial-10-gigabit-broadband-in-ireland/

At present, there wouldn't be much need for 10gbit/s for domestic users, but when you see the massive increase in bandwidth demands over the past 10-15 years, I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see people looking for it in a few years time.

I mean when you consider not that many years ago a couple of Mbit/s was seen as huge speed.

KOR101 wrote: »
    I mean 10Gbs to the consumer. I thought that means a different technoligy at the consumer's house.

The products of IFN have not been specified yet by OpenEIR.

A couple facts:
    - their current 300k has an upgrade path to 10gig on the same fibre
    - the IFN will be build with 10gig in mind from day one, but that doesn't mean the products are available.
    - the current products on the 300k will also be available on the IFN

Just because the network can deliver up to 10gig doesn't mean it's available to the consumer as a product. It's just, that they are launching with the 10gig platform to start with opposed to the 2.5gig platform.

And .. as you can see, even though GPon does 2.5gig, you can't have a 2.5gig connection now .. can you ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

The Cush wrote: »

how do you constitute what's rural?

I am in an amber area of a town in cork, it has over 1,000 premises (I think) but I would be about 2.3km from the central part of the town and just past the coverage area of FTTC.

Am on a road with plenty of houses but not covered by the Eir 300k rollout, do I stand any chance?

BArra wrote: »
    how do you constitute what's rural?

I am in an amber area of a town in cork, it has over 1,000 premises (I think) but I would be about 2.3km from the central part of the town and just past the coverage area of FTTC.

Am on a road with plenty of houses but not covered by the Eir 300k rollout, do I stand any chance?

Yes, I believe so. The question would be when. As with all eir announcements this is ridiculously optimistic. 1.4 million premises in five years is not achievable in my opinion.

Here's the list of towns:

DzHHnneX4AAfVrC.jpg

I imagine that every house that is commercially viable will be reached eventually.
    Although would the fact that they never provided FTTC to that area be a bad sign?

tuxy wrote: »
    I imagine that every house that is commercially viable will be reached eventually.
    Although would the fact that they never provided FTTC to that area be a bad sign?

I don't think so. The poster said they are just outside the FTTC area so with FTTH not having the same distance limitations they should be covered provided they are in one of those towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

I don't think so. The poster said they are just outside the FTTC area so with FTTH not having the same distance limitations they should be covered provided they are in one of those towns.

not a town listed :pac::mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement