Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Yillan wrote: »
    No results today then. Is it too early to start sending angry emails to ACER? Didn't the guy to do it for the UK exams score in the high 60/70's? Might be an idea

I Wouldn't be surprised to get much less than 62 this time around. This exam was definitely rougher, timing being harder to Keep. It's like the science was 115 or 120 crammed into 110 questions. As far as I remember I got my score in Ireland last year on the 16 th of may? But I reckon it could be anytime soon or even later, ACER do their own thing...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

I just checked back on my emails and the results came out last May on the 14th which was just shy of 8 weeks from when we sat them .

As drspock said, ACER suit themselves and have no problem delaying the release so who knows when they will be out but i would estimate that it will be on Friday 20th

best of luck to all getting results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

drspock wrote: »
    I Wouldn't be surprised to get much less than 62 this time around. This exam was definitely rougher, timing being harder to Keep. It's like the science was 115 or 120 crammed into 110 questions. As far as I remember I got my score in Ireland last year on the 16 th of may? But I reckon it could be anytime soon or even later, ACER do their own thing...:mad:

I reckon it'll be around the 20th... results released 1 day short of 8 weeks, like it was last year..... Altho being the crafty individuals that they are... they could go for an early release date- btwn 17-20th May...... I emailed them but no reply yet.

Getting close now, the last few weeks have flown. Every day is gonna crawl from now on......

I agree on the odds of worse results this year, i thought i did atrociously for one anyways! Wont stop me celebrating the end of a 5 season GAMSAT era though!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

im so not looking forward to opening the email and then finding out my result. it's going to be possibly the most tense moment of my life. anything over 59 and the neighbours will be frightened by the loud screams they hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

hi all,

wishing you all the best of luck with the results!

if it goes according to plan for anyone and they're interested in selling on any study material please gimme a shout/pm! thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

From the University of Limerick website.....

I've seent his on the UCC website too, so it must be reasonably set in stone (as much as things can be with ACER).

GAMSAT Ireland Dates for 2011/12

GAMSAT Ireland Dates for 2011
    Test day - Saturday, 26 March 2011
    Standard Registration Period: Mid October 2010 - Midnight, 1 February 2011
    Late Registration Period: 2 February 2011 - Midnight, 11 February 2011
    Key dates:
    11 Feb 2011 - Closing date for special consideration requests
    11 Feb 2011 - Closing date for refund requests
    10 Mar 2011 - Tickets sent to candidates
    13 May 2011 - Results released to CAO (no later than)
    20 May 2011 (9am IST) - Results released to candidates ( no later than)

GAMSAT Ireland emailed back to say release date will be "mid May", nothing more specific.....

From NUIG School of Medicine Website.....

The School of Medicine has an enrolement of c.800 students, including many from overseas. University College Hospital, conveniently located beside the University campus, is the major teaching hospital.
    School members are highly qualified and the university has an extensive and well-funded programme of medical research.
    Students completing the School's primary undergraduate programme in Medicine are conferred with the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Obstetrics (M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O.).
    Postgraduate programmes include the Doctor of Medicine M.D., the Master of Surgery M.Ch., the Master of Obstetrics M.A.O., the Master of Medical Science, the Master of Medical Science in Medicine/Physiotherapy and the Masters of Medical Science in Sport and Exercise Medicine/Physiotherapy.

The School is currently expanding the undergraduate medical intake, implementing an exciting new curriculum, and we hope to offer graduate entry courses in medicine from 2011.
    The University is committed to providing the most up-to-date facilities and resources for the study of medicine and health sciences at the Galway campus. An energetic building programme is underway, with new buildings coming on stream to accommodate new programmes and expanding enrolments.

http://http://www.nuigalway.ie/medicine/

eh....... so who's giving them a ring? Surely they would have this added to the CAO lists by now if it was starting this year?

I was under the impression that NUIG has stated as part of the strategic partnership with UL that they would increase their number of undergrads but would not implement a graduate programme, as UL already had this area covered..... What's going on here then?

Hi all. I reckon this is a mistake or something. I rang them very early this year and they were adamant that GEM NUIG was not an option. I didn't see it on the cao course list at any rate?:confused:

From NUIG School of Medicine Website.....

The School of Medicine has an enrolement of c.800 students, including many from overseas. University College Hospital, conveniently located beside the University campus, is the major teaching hospital.
    School members are highly qualified and the university has an extensive and well-funded programme of medical research.
    Students completing the School's primary undergraduate programme in Medicine are conferred with the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Obstetrics (M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O.).
    Postgraduate programmes include the Doctor of Medicine M.D., the Master of Surgery M.Ch., the Master of Obstetrics M.A.O., the Master of Medical Science, the Master of Medical Science in Medicine/Physiotherapy and the Masters of Medical Science in Sport and Exercise Medicine/Physiotherapy.

The School is currently expanding the undergraduate medical intake, implementing an exciting new curriculum, and we hope to offer graduate entry courses in medicine from 2011.
    The University is committed to providing the most up-to-date facilities and resources for the study of medicine and health sciences at the Galway campus. An energetic building programme is underway, with new buildings coming on stream to accommodate new programmes and expanding enrolments.

http://http://www.nuigalway.ie/medicine/

eh....... so who's giving them a ring? Surely they would have this added to the CAO lists by now if it was starting this year?

I was under the impression that NUIG has stated as part of the strategic partnership with UL that they would increase their number of undergrads but would not implement a graduate programme, as UL already had this area covered..... What's going on here then?

The ol' "mid may" reply again? They are crafty feckers them ACER. I'm betting on the 20th as well, but you never know what those cheeky ACER elves will do? Law unto themselves..........anyone else tired of watching paint dry?
    GAMSAT Ireland emailed back to say release date will be "mid May", nothing more specific.....

• Advertisement

Hi all. I reckon this is a mistake or something. I rang them very early this year and they were adamant that GEM NUIG was not an option. I didn't see it on the cao course list at any rate?:confused:

I gave them a call since and yes the recession has bitten those plans in the but. Pretty poor that it's still on the website, on closer inspection it says last updated Jan '10. Get your act together Galway!

Not the first time NUIG has fooled me, (despite going there for 4 years). The year the HPAT originally came out I met with the Head of the Faculty at NUIG who informed me that as I did my Leaving Cert in 2003 I wouldn't be able to apply to any of the colleges as an undergrad, he maintained that you needed to sit the HPAT and the Leaving Cert in the same year to get in..... my little brother corrected me but not until 20mins past the CAO deadline. Serves me right for believing everything I hear!

The ol' "mid may" reply again? They are crafty feckers them ACER. I'm betting on the 20th as well, but you never know what those cheeky ACER elves will do? Law unto themselves..........anyone else tired of watching paint dry?

They should use watching paint dry as a form of torture. It seems to be working in this respect......

Agony!!!!

They should use watching paint dry as a form of torture. It seems to be working in this respect......

Agony!!!!

haha! I thought I saw something alright in the recent Guantanamo Bay Wikileaks release about the Americans using the ol' "paint drying" to supplement extensive "waterboarding" and other atrocities?

But seriously for such a high fee of 300 euro (x3 in my case) how hard would it be for them to be a bit more efficient with releasing results? The thing that really boggles me is that despite results being the sole factor, and those being available in May (on a different cycle to other applicants), why do the offers only come out in August? I think that's very late. Of all things one wouldn't want to rush getting accommodation going into something like Medicine! Better get some more paint........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 keatso

I don't mind the waiting....I just don't understand why they can't give a definite date?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

Its on the Aus GAMSAT site that results are out next week :)

haha! I thought I saw something alright in the recent Guantanamo Bay Wikileaks release about the Americans using the ol' "paint drying" to supplement extensive "waterboarding" and other atrocities?

But seriously for such a high fee of 300 euro (x3 in my case) how hard would it be for them to be a bit more efficient with releasing results? The thing that really boggles me is that despite results being the sole factor, and those being available in May (on a different cycle to other applicants), why do the offers only come out in August? I think that's very late. Of all things one wouldn't want to rush getting accommodation going into something like Medicine! Better get some more paint........:D

"2011 results
    GAMSAT2011 results will be released next week. Please do not contact the GAMSAT office for a more specific date; this will NOT be provided under any circumstances."
    (Oz website)

Am confused. Its mid-May now..... Anyone else????? :confused:

I hear you on the 300 euro x 3 story. Only mine is worse.... €300 euro x 5. Got my good score on 3rd go but kept going back trying to get Dublin. I wont even let my brain wander onto the "what else I could have done with that money" thoughts..... I wonder what the world record for most times sitting the GAMSAT is...... :rolleyes:

They'll probably manufacture a score for me this year to make me go away..... Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Not that confused. It was more confusing last year when the gamsat UK website was telling us that the results would be available on the 17th and then the 26th and then the 20th. The acer loose definition of mid-may is mild by their standards. They'll do something mental before next Friday. Something like releasing a rumour that they've lost all the essay papers and will be awarding marks for that score on the basis of a lottery.

I heard a story that they had to re-release the scores when someone didn't show up for the essay and so didn't get a grade for it and so everyone below his score got the wrong essay grade. Don't know how true that is. It does sound somewhat plausible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

So do they email you to tell you the results or what? It's always been in my head that May 20 is results day, I'm sure I didn't just make that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Last year they emailed us at 4am and released the results 5 hours later. Not much of a heads up. I'd have preferred no email. I was up anyway studying for finals so that ended up being the longest 5 hours of my life.
    Words of warning: When they say 9am, they mean 9am. There's no point refreshing the results page every 5 mins in hope that they release the results early. There's only so many beats a heart can skip!

• Advertisement

You've sat the GAMSAT 5 times? Jesus! Thats dedication. I reckon you deserve an honorary overall 75 for that effort. Seriously, every time I'v sat that nasty beast it took about a week to get back to normal (resume sleeping, stop exhibiting withdrawal symptoms and not crying myself to sleep in a corner).

I really hope you get a great score this time mate!! YOU DESERVE IT! Where are you hoping to start? Are you sitting on a 60+ score hoping to bring it up as well?

"2011 results
    GAMSAT2011 results will be released next week. Please do not contact the GAMSAT office for a more specific date; this will NOT be provided under any circumstances."
    (Oz website)

I hear you on the 300 euro x 3 story. Only mine is worse.... €300 euro x 5. Got my good score on 3rd go but kept going back trying to get Dublin. I wont even let my brain wander onto the "what else I could have done with that money" thoughts..... I wonder what the world record for most times sitting the GAMSAT is...... :rolleyes:

They'll probably manufacture a score for me this year to make me go away..... Fingers crossed!

"""I heard a story that they had to re-release the scores when someone didn't show up for the essay and so didn't get a grade for it and so everyone below his score got the wrong essay grade. Don't know how true that is. It does sound somewhat plausible though."""

I'll pretend you never said that!!! :eek:

Nothing would surprise me at this point........

You've sat the GAMSAT 5 times? Jesus! Thats dedication. I reckon you deserve an honorary overall 75 for that effort. Seriously, every time I'v sat that nasty beast it took about a week to get back to normal (resume sleeping, stop exhibiting withdrawal symptoms and not crying myself to sleep in a corner).

I really hope you get a great score this time mate!! YOU DESERVE IT! Where are you hoping to start? Are you sitting on a 60+ score hoping to bring it up as well?

Fancy passing on those (appreciated) sentiments to Acer before they publish the results?! :D

Hoping never to have to study for it again. Having never failed an exam in my life it intrigued me that this exam was such a ****ty one and irreversible stubborness was born. Thought I'd give it a few attempts after the 3rd time to try to get Dublin (sitting on 59 at the mo) but obviously someone up there has been having a larf at my expense(s)....... The time has come to take whatever offer comes up in August (prob UL) & head wherever it takes me. Experiments are over! I'll be drawing my pension soon if I dont get moving.......

Where are you hoping to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

correct me if I'm wroing but NUIG GEM was supposed to start in 2009,2010 and now they say 2011?

It would be on the CAO surley if it was going to be offered

The extra places in UCD are going ahead from what I've heard and will be a 50/50 undergrad/gem by 2012 :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

spagboll wrote: »
    correct me if I'm wroing but NUIG GEM was supposed to start in 2009,2010 and now they say 2011?

It would be on the CAO surley if it was going to be offered

The extra places in UCD are going ahead from what I've heard and will be a 50/50 undergrad/gem by 2012 :)

NUIG said they would be concentrating on undergraduate training, so no GEM for Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

The Australian GAMSAT scores were released today so we may be looking at our scores before Friday.. Oh god!

• Advertisement

They've updated the Gammy Ireland result page. They're just days away now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

MedGal wrote: »
    They've updated the Gammy Ireland result page. They're just days away now!

link? i can't see that anywhere (haha not a good sign)

jtsuited wrote: »
    link? i can't see that anywhere (haha not a good sign)

There's no link, they've just updated the info on the results page to include info about 2011 & 2012.
    The section that said "check your 2009 & 2010 results" has been removed and more up-to-date info put in its place.
    Usually there'll be an announcement saying "2011 results will be available from [ ]" where it currently says "GAMSAT Ireland was held on 26 March 2011" at the top of the page.
    Not long now if they're preparing the results page...... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

looks like next week. we would have been informed today if they were coming on friday imo.

paraguay99 wrote: »
    looks like next week. we would have been informed today if they were coming on friday imo.

Not necessarily, they could just send a mail at 7am saying results are out at 9am, they've done that before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

MedGal is right ,

with regards the GAMSAT UK 2010, results came out on the 19th November at 1pm.

The notification email alerting candidates to this was sent out earlier that morning at 1 AM

Id be very surprised if they were not released on Friday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4 moose88

Hi everyone- I took the GAMSAT in Sydney, but I am applying to GEP's at UCC, UCD, and RCSI- I am American so I am in the International student cohort so I should find out about an acceptance soon. I can't believe you still haven't gotten your scores- as we got ours about 36 hours ago and usually GAMSAT Australia seems to get results last because there are more people taking it.

Anyways- not sure if anyone on this forum knows anything about international students who took the GAMSAT- I went to a top 15 US University- double major- tons of EC's- graduated with a 3.2/4.0 GPA, and I scored a 66 on this years GAMSAT. I am really hoping for a spot!

GOOD LUCK to everyone awaiting results. I thought I was going to die it seemed so long...

Do you not have to do the MCAT if you're American?

BTW, great score moose88. Congrats!

If you are applying to schools in Ireland you can take either! I was living in Australia for a year so I took the GAMSAT. I could have just as easily taken the MCAT but I thought the GAMSAT would be better for the way I generally test on standardized tests!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

moose88 wrote: »
    If you are applying to schools in Ireland you can take either! I was living in Australia for a year so I took the GAMSAT. I could have just as easily taken the MCAT but I thought the GAMSAT would be better for the way I generally test on standardized tests!
    your gamsat score looks pretty good, and you can get in anywhere in ireland with those stats... (not sure about the GPA though 3.2 is a little low, but i've seen people with 3.2s and 30+ MCATs get in, and 66 is more like a 35ish nearly), but those stats would have goten you into a carrib school pretty easy... even one of the big four... like saba... and they do all their clinicals in america.

edit::

actually im pretty sure you cant replace the GAMSAT with MCAT, i thought all atlantic bridge students were supposed to take the MCAT?, you thought about applying to australia?

http://www.atlanticbridge.com/med/faqs/fqindex.htm
    Q: How long is the medical degree course in Ireland?
    A:

University College Cork, University College Dublin, The University of Limerick and The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland offer four-year medical degree courses. A bachelor's degree and the MCAT are required for admission.

Yeah, I told them they should change that. I know of a student at UCC who used GAMSAT last year through ABP and a couple that are using it this year. I checked with them long before I applied in December. Hopefully will know something soon! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

moose88 wrote: »
    Yeah, I told them they should change that. I know of a student at UCC who used GAMSAT last year through ABP and a couple that are using it this year. I checked with them long before I applied in December. Hopefully will know something soon! Thanks!
    ah thats great :) im sure you'll get in, as you've scored higher than any of the cut offs used for locals (for GAMSAT), when do you get your offers? irish people dont get theirs until august :) long wait for them lol, but hopefully results will be out by friday :)

Somebody give me a sedative until they release the results.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

There are only so many times in a minute you can keep checking your emails and these forums for any sort of update. Well there goes any productivity today... The wait better be worth it, thats all I have to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

JUST GIVE ME MY RESULT SO I CAN START STUDYING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sorcha88

Hi everyone, if it's any help I emailed GAMSAT last week asking when would results be available and they said around May 20th. Hope to god that means tomorrow, so sick of waiting!

Scientist1 wrote: »
    JUST GIVE ME MY RESULT SO I CAN START STUDYING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

There will be no sleep of any quality had tonight anyways. Re-runs of Jersey Shore wahey! :)

Good luck with the results everyone. Hope they come out on the 20th... can't take much more waiting. :eek:

Waiting anxiously for 4am to check emails........

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nivag7

Hot off the presses they're up!

https://gamsat-ireland.acer.edu.au/results/index.php

Good luck everyone

Got 61, absolutely thrilled!!! :)

Section 1: 67
    Section 2: 68
    Section 3: 54

Fingers crossed for eveyone! GOOD LUCK!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Looked at section 3 first: 55... Oh ****. Worse than UK
    Looked at section 1 then: 63... well I'm ****ed from section 3 so that doesn't really matter.
    Section 2 : 64... ah ****e.

Then I slump back on the couch... Look at the overall score.... 62????

Section 2 was 74.

Bloody delighted. All neighbours woken with a roar

Best of luck everyone. 3rd time lucky for me here. Keep at it :D

Well done Yillan, delighted for you. Stubborness pays off! :) To hell with your neighbours, you won't be living there much longer anyways if you're moving out to go to college! :) Roar some more!!!

Emails were literally just sent saying results are out. Im off to get drunk!!!!!!! :)

61!!!!!!!!!!!YAHOOO

got 50 on section 3 (thought i got 20)
    79 in section 2
    66 in section 1

jtsuited wrote: »
    61!!!!!!!!!!!YAHOOO

got 50 on section 3 (though i got 20)
    79 in section 2
    66 in section 1

Well done!!! Be interesting to see where 61 gets us! :)

• Advertisement

surely UCD with a 61???
    surely???

Advertisement