Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Who's the top QB if Herbert goes back to school?

By the way I think its a long shot that we get the first pick. I don't see any more wins for Arizona or Oakland but we have a few winnable games. If we do win one we could drop a bit as there are a lot of 3 win teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

adrian522 wrote: »
    Who's the top QB if Herbert goes back to school?

By the way I think its a long shot that we get the first pick. I don't see any more wins for Arizona or Oakland but we have a few winnable games. If we do win one we could drop a bit as there are a lot of 3 win teams.

Drew Lock and maybe Daniel Jones from Duke but its slim picking. From a development point of view Herbert is smart to go back to school but he has a real shot at the number 1 pick this year if he declares, so many QB needy teams and such a small draft talent pool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

jonok28 wrote: »
    Drew Lock and maybe Daniel Jones from Duke but its slim picking. From a development point of view Herbert is smart to go back to school but he has a real shot at the number 1 pick this year if he declares, so many QB needy teams and such a small draft talent pool.

I guess we can add linebacker to the positions of need again.

I guess we can add linebacker to the positions of need again.

And it was with the same girl that accused him of Assault last time, if true this guy is stupid beyond belief. Such a waste of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I was a big advocate for him during the initial incident but even if she again claims it was a false statement and it gets dropped we're at the point where they had to cut him for being an idiot and continuing to be in contact with her after all the support and bad PR the team showed him.

Decision is probably made easier by the fact he was nearly permanently injured since he was drafted and how great Warner has been playing.

It will still hurt when a team picks him up and he ends up showing his talent.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I was a big advocate for him during the initial incident but even if she again claims it was a false statement and it gets dropped we're at the point where they had to cut him for being an idiot and continuing to be in contact with her after all the support and bad PR the team showed him.

Decision is probably made easier by the fact he was nearly permanently injured since he was drafted and how great Warner has been playing.

It will still hurt when a team picks him up and he ends up showing his talent.

According to reports, he slapped the phone out of her hand, pushed her in the chest and open palm slapped her in the face.

According to reports, he slapped the phone out of her hand, pushed her in the chest and open palm slapped her in the face.

Same reports that said he absolutely beat the crap out of her the last time before she stood on the witness box and recanted the whole story, providing video evidence of her in a street fight with a woman which would give wounds much more in line with what she initially showed the police than being hit by a monster LB. She also told the court she previously spent time in jail for making false allegations.

There maybe further witnesses this time which would change things but if it is just 'he said, she said' then given her lack of credibility I don't think it goes to trial. Some team will definitely pick him up when it gets dropped and some teams who have shown they dont care about this stuff mightn't even let him get past waivers next week.

Same reports that said he absolutely beat the crap out of her the last time before she stood on the witness box and recanted the whole story, providing video evidence of her in a street fight with a woman which would give wounds much more in line with what she initially showed the police than being hit by a monster LB. She also told the court she previously spent time in jail for making false allegations.

There maybe further witnesses this time which would change things but if it is just 'he said, she said' then given her lack of credibility I don't think it goes to trial. Some team will definitely pick him up when it gets dropped and some teams who have shown they dont care about this stuff mightn't even let him get past waivers next week.

The 49ers have released him. Such an idiot, could have been a H.O.Fer.

Yesterday was definitely the lowest day of the season and probably during the Lynch/Shanahan regime.

Even taking into account all the injuries, heading into this offseason will be nearly the opposite of the optimism of last year. Might be good for the team, especially the 2nd year guys (aside from Kittle) who have under-performed badly this year. Looking at the run of games I can't see another victory even without any purposeful tank. These Seahawks games will be grim viewing after I was looking forward to putting it up to them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Having seen them in Levi's on Monday Night Football 2 weeks ago, I actually thought there was a little hope of some progression. Jez, that Bucs game was hard to watch & one of the worst showings since Kelly/Tomsula era!
    The Foster thing is now bringing Lynch's evaluation with the draft into question...and rightly so. 2017's draft had 10 picks...only two are what you'd call superb finds...Kittle & Taylor (with Jimmy throwing to him anyway) both in 5th round. Rest from that class are close to busts or disappointments, especially Thomas at 3 overall. This off season has to go well. The run game is a positive, especially when we get McKinnon back. QB is hopefully sorted. Everything else needs to improve or be strengthened.
    Yeah like @Foxtrol mentioned, I don't see any wins in the last games.

• Advertisement

What I expect the 9ers to look like next season on offense. I don't see big changes, I think they go hard after a number 1 receiver and I think they take a Guard or Tackle in the draft ( have him play Guard that year til Staley Retires at the end of next season then move McGlinchey to Left Tackle and the draft pick to RT). They will definitely add depth across the O Line.

QB Jimmy G
    RB1 Jerrick McKinnon
    RB2 Matt Breida
    WR1 Free Agent Signing ( Trade or Release P. Garcon)
    WR2 Dante Pettis
    WR3 Marquise Goodwin
    TE1 George Kittle
    TE2 Garrett Celek

LT Joe Staley
    LG Laken Tomlinson
    C Weston Richburg
    RG Free Agent or Draft Pick
    RT Mike McGlinchey

What I expect the 9ers to look like next season on offense. I don't see big changes, I think they go hard after a number 1 receiver and I think they take a Guard or Tackle in the draft ( have him play Guard that year til Staley Retires at the end of next season then move McGlinchey to Left Tackle and the draft pick to RT). They will definitely add depth across the O Line.

QB Jimmy G
    RB1 Jerrick McKinnon
    RB2 Matt Breida
    WR1 Free Agent Signing ( Trade or Release P. Garcon)
    WR2 Dante Pettis
    WR3 Marquise Goodwin
    TE1 George Kittle
    TE2 Garrett Celek

LT Joe Staley
    LG Laken Tomlinson
    C Weston Richburg
    RG Free Agent or Draft Pick
    RT Mike McGlinchey

Don’t think there are any decent WRs available in FA this offseason so if they are looking, it’ll need to be their early 2nd round pick. Draft class is apparently pretty deep for that position so there is a chance of picking up someone good but receivers rarely start fast in their first year. Personally I’d prefer to use that pick on one of our other needs and get rid of Garcon, pick up a WR (or another pass catching TE) later in the draft that Kyle likes, and run with Goodwin as #1. We never got a chance to see him with Garoppolo this year and they were on fire together last.

For guard I feel Person has been a great find and we should re-sign him. He’s graded above average by PFF, despite spending nearly the whole season with QBs that have been a nightmare for an OL to block for. I do agree we should start looking for a replacement to Staley though. He’s still performing well enough but that’ll be a big void to fill and there’s nothing there right now. He appeared to be revitalized this offseason however the injury nightmare and drop off in performances might take that will to continue away.

Don’t think there are any decent WRs available in FA this offseason so if they are looking, it’ll need to be their early 2nd round pick. Draft class is apparently pretty deep for that position so there is a chance of picking up someone good but receivers rarely start fast in their first year. Personally I’d prefer to use that pick on one of our other needs and get rid of Garcon, pick up a WR (or another pass catching TE) later in the draft that Kyle likes, and run with Goodwin as #1. We never got a chance to see him with Garoppolo this year and they were on fire together last.

For guard I feel Person has been a great find and we should re-sign him. He’s graded above average by PFF, despite spending nearly the whole season with QBs that have been a nightmare for an OL to block for. I do agree we should start looking for a replacement to Staley though. He’s still performing well enough but that’ll be a big void to fill and there’s nothing there right now. He appeared to be revitalized this offseason however the injury nightmare and drop off in performances might take that will to continue away.

I'm not saying get rid of Pearson, far from it, I think he should be kept but I think they should draft a guy early to compete with him, ideally they draft a tackle and have him play guard for a year, at the end of next season if Joe Staley retires which he has hinted that he might do that you move McGlinchey to Left Tackle and move the draft pick from Guard to Tackle.

I'd tent to agree with you about a Wide Receiver in Free Agency, I like Donte Moncrief, Devin Funchess and Kelvin Benjamin but none are big time difference makers. I really like Parris Campbell and Chase Claypool in the draft. Both players numbers aren't great this season because their quarter backs aren't great. Claypool is just given screen plays every single game and still manages to eat up yards. Campbell is lightning down the field but has to settle for cross and wheel routes all game because his QB doesn't have the arm to launch it down field.

I think we off load Garcon and his favorable contract for a third or fourth rounder. I don't think we grab a Tight End til the later rounds, Jimmy loves Kittle and Celek.

On the Defensive side of the ball is where the 49ers have a real problem, I think if the 9ers draft Bosa that opens up the field for Buckner and I think even more so for Thomas it could be the making of him. Shane Ray is only a season off an 8 sack season so he can be got for fairly cheap. D.J Jones will steal Earl Mitchells job in training camp. Earl Thomas is the ideal fit for our secondary and he could really make a big difference. We definitely need a starting caliber Corner across from Sherman, I'd nearly go as high as the second or third round to land that guy. I don't think there is a great fit in Free Agency at Corner, I like Greedy Williams in the draft, good size, length and speed and was a ball hawk last season. Most importantly fire Saleh and bring in some competent.

LDE Nick Bosa (Draft)
    LDT D.J. Jones
    RDT DeForest Buckner
    RDE Solomon Thomas
    SAM Shane Ray ( Free Agency)
    MIKE Fred Warner
    WILL Malcolm Smith
    LCB Richard Sherman
    RCB A high draft pick.
    NB K'Waun Williams
    FS Earl Thomas (Free Agency)
    SS Jaquiski Tartt

On the Defensive side of the ball is where the 49ers have a real problem, I think if the 9ers draft Bosa that opens up the field for Buckner and I think even more so for Thomas it could be the making of him. Shane Ray is only a season off an 8 sack season so he can be got for fairly cheap. D.J Jones will steal Earl Mitchells job in training camp. Earl Thomas is the ideal fit for our secondary and he could really make a big difference. We definitely need a starting caliber Corner across from Sherman, I'd nearly go as high as the second or third round to land that guy. I don't think there is a great fit in Free Agency at Corner, I like Greedy Williams in the draft, good size, length and speed and was a ball hawk last season. Most importantly fire Saleh and bring in some competent.

LDE Nick Bosa (Draft)
    LDT D.J. Jones
    RDT DeForest Buckner
    RDE Solomon Thomas
    SAM Shane Ray ( Free Agency)
    MIKE Fred Warner
    WILL Malcolm Smith
    LCB Richard Sherman
    RCB A high draft pick.
    NB K'Waun Williams
    FS Earl Thomas (Free Agency)
    SS Jaquiski Tartt

Like the look of that. Would really like to see us getting someone that can rush from the outside in both FA and early in the draft, and Ray fits. Even with an early draft pick I’d like them to take a shot at another edge later in the draft. It is a value position and like QB you rarely stumble upon them cheap in FA like we’ve been trying.

Think Smith is liability so trying to draft someone to contend with or replace him round would be ideal. There’s usually value to be had in the mid rounds in that position if you can get the right fit for the scheme.

Like the look of that. Would really like to see us getting someone that can rush from the outside in both FA and early in the draft, and Ray fits. Even with an early draft pick I’d like them to take a shot at another edge later in the draft. It is a value position and like QB you rarely stumble upon them cheap in FA like we’ve been trying.

Think Smith is liability so trying to draft someone to contend with or replace him round would be ideal. There’s usually value to be had in the mid rounds in that position if you can get the right fit for the scheme.

I wouldn't be shocked if they did move on from Malcolm Smith, he hasn't been great at all and has been injured quite a bit. I think Kyle keeps him for the knowledge of the 4-3 defense they run and I can't see them getting much for him at all and I don't think it makes sense to let him go for free if he can be a good depth player. I would definitely draft a guy to take his job.

Dante Pettis had a break out game last night. He is someone I was really excited about when he get drafted, his route running and cuts are insane and he just needs game time to show off how good he is. Our Offense will really start to take shape when we get that number one receiver and McKinnon back.

If I'm the 49ers I go after Donte Moncrief in Free Agency and another receiver with a third round pick. Chase Claypool should still be there and I think he has star potential if he is given time.

With Buckner up to 9 sacks this season I am salivating at the prospect of potentially having Nick Bosa beside Buckner and Solomon Thomas, I am convinced he will unlock our pass rush and we will be a completely different defense next season.

Dante Pettis had a break out game last night. He is someone I was really excited about when he get drafted, his route running and cuts are insane and he just needs game time to show off how good he is.

Since Terrell Owens he is the first WR for the team to score 4 TDs their rookie year and also the first to get 100 yards in a game. Probably says more about the drafting of rookie WRs than anything else.

Pettis has looked really good even with the backup QBs throwing to him so with some other guys to draw coverage and Jimmy throwing to him he should be great next year. I also presume he's been kept out of doing returns due to the risk of another injury, especially given the bare bones left at WR. On a somewhat selfish level I'd like him to keep his head down for the rest of the year so he'll fall in the draft next year :pac:

Since Terrell Owens he is the first WR for the team to score 4 TDs their rookie year and also the first to get 100 yards in a game. Probably says more about the drafting of rookie WRs than anything else.

Pettis has looked really good even with the backup QBs throwing to him so with some other guys to draw coverage and Jimmy throwing to him he should be great next year. I also presume he's been kept out of doing returns due to the risk of another injury, especially given the bare bones left at WR. On a somewhat selfish level I'd like him to keep his head down for the rest of the year so he'll fall in the draft next year :pac:

I picked Pettis and Kittle with my last two picks in my Fantasy Draft as homer picks. So really hoping Pettis playing well goes under the fantasy radar. The field opens up if the 9ers land a number 1 WR. Really hope we have one next season.

Cardinals and to a lesser extent Giants and Jags winning was great for the draft position. A Jets win would have been nice for a buffer in case of a win but they have potentially winnable games against Buffalo and Packers (if they sit Rodgers).

Only game I have fear we could win would be against the Rams if they sit their starters like last year. Hopefully Bears manage to take them next week and Saints keep up the pressure by winning out.

Cardinals and to a lesser extent Giants and Jags winning was great for the draft position. A Jets win would have been nice for a buffer in case of a win but they have potentially winnable games against Buffalo and Packers (if they sit Rodgers).

Only game I have fear we could win would be against the Rams if they sit their starters like last year. Hopefully Bears manage to take them next week and Saints keep up the pressure by winning out.

The Rams could rest players but I think the 49ers throw that game if the number 1 pick hung in the balance, I don't think it will hang in the balance. I don't think the 9ers have any more winnable games on the schedule. I think we will finish last and take Nick Bosa.

This really wasn't the plan this season but I guess if we land a generational pass rusher and nail some picks in the middle rounds then we can consider this a blessing in disguise.

• Advertisement

In the situation we were in that was well worth the flag. I like seeing Shanhan get fired up.

I'm so sick of watching games in Seattle and every call go against us. In the words of Staley 'I just want to f**king win there so bad'.

Here's hoping for next season.

In the situation we were in that was well worth the flag. I like seeing Shanhan get fired up.

I'm so sick of watching games in Seattle and every call go against us. In the words of Staley 'I just want to f**king win there so bad'.

Here's hoping for next season.

I think it will happen over the next two seasons, we just need to stay healthy.

The 49ers really wanted to throw away that game in the second half, Kittle was tearing the Broncos to pieces in the first and he barely (if even) touched the ball in the second half. The cherry on top of the terrible second half was taking a knee too early and giving the Broncos a chance to get the ball back with time on the clock. We still maintain the 1st overall pick with the Raiders beating the Steelers. Pettis didn't get the ball much but when he did he was impactful only really messing up once really. Goodwin was very quiet this game.

The 49ers not having a number one Wide receiver is really closing up the field for us. I keep thinking about it and if I'm Kyle I make moves for someone like AJ Green. Green will be 31 by the start of next season. I would offer a 2nd ( which will be the 34th pick which is basically a first round pick) and a future 5th for him. The Bengals would probably jump at that offer because Green is a bit injury prone and is getting a bit older. Green would give us that Red Zone threat to open up the rest of the field. I would still try and get someone in the draft but if you can get a pro bowl caliber Receiver who can deliver in the red zone and who can give the likes of Kittle, Pettis, Goodwin,Taylor, Breida and McKinnon more room to operate and make plays then I think if he can be got for a 2nd you trade for him.

I would also trade Pierre Garcon and maybe CJ Bethard or Nick Mullins (whoever Kyle and John Decides is 3rd string QB ) for picks in the middle rounds.

I've been thinking a lot about the 49ers defense this last week or so and I am convinced they are playing Solomon Thomas in the wrong position, yes they do move him around the field a fair bit but he isn't a Defensive end or Tackle or even a line man I think he is an SAM linebacker (Outsider Linebacker) I am going through his college tape and he rarely has his hands in the dirt he is always bouncing on the balls of his feet and is on the move constantly with his fingers barely touching the turf, He was like a freight train when he got a full head of steam and was punishing opposing Offenses. If they 9ers land the number one pick and take Nick Bosa then I would play Bosa and Armstead at Defensive end, Buckner at Tackle and Thomas at SAM linebacker.
    LDE Nick Bosa (Draft)
    LDT DeForrest Buckner
    RDT D.J Jones
    RDE Arik Armstead
    SAM Solomon Thomas
    MIKE Fred Warner
    WILL Shane Ray (F.A)
    LCB Richard Sherman
    SS Jaquiski Tartt
    FS Earl Thomas
    RCB Joejuan Williams (Draft)
    NB D.J Reed

I've been thinking a lot about the 49ers defense this last week or so and I am convinced they are playing Solomon Thomas in the wrong position, yes they do move him around the field a fair bit but he isn't a Defensive end or Tackle or even a line man I think he is an SAM linebacker (Outsider Linebacker) I am going through his college tape and he never has his hands in the dirt he is always bouncing on the balls of his feet and is on the move constantly, He was like a freight train when he got a full head of steam and was punishing opposing Offenses. If they 9ers land the number one pick and take Nick Bosa then I would play Bosa and Armstead at Defensive end, Buckner at Tackle and Thomas at SAM linebacker.
    LDE Nick Bosa (Draft)
    LDT DeForrest Buckner
    RDT D.J Jones
    RDE Arik Armstead
    SAM Solomon Thomas
    MIKE Fred Warner
    WILL Shane Ray (F.A)
    LCB Richard Sherman
    SS Jaquiski Tartt
    FS Earl Thomas
    RCB Joejuan Williams (Draft)
    NB D.J Reed

I've never heard of Thomas playing linebacker, he's always played D-line to the best of my knowledge, do you have a link to him playing LB in college?

In any case I don't think its a good idea to switch his position again. He's not an outside rusher but even when he has played inside he hasn't been much above average. I'd keep him there for next season and make a decision on him at the end of next season.

I also don't think Armstead is an outside DE either. He needs to stay where he has been this season (if he is kept on). He's been very productive this season so it makes no sense to move him outside.

He's due a chunk of cash next year so I would say he will need to restructure or else they will cut him. They just don't need that many interior linemen.

I agree they need a FS, another CB or 2, another pass rusher (in addition to selecting someone in the draft).

They also need another linebacker and that's just on defense. The 49ers are a long way off being a contender and for this reason I'd be against giving up a draft pick for a receiver like AJ Green. The 49ers need to be looking at younger options either through the draft or free agency.

I'm fine with veteran free agents up to a point but I'm not OK with giving up serious draft capital for a 31 year old wide receiver who hasn't been good for several years.

I've never heard of Thomas playing linebacker, he's always played D-line to the best of my knowledge, do you have a link to him playing LB in college?

In any case I don't think its a good idea to switch his position again. He's not an outside rusher but even when he has played inside he hasn't been much above average. I'd keep him there for next season and make a decision on him at the end of next season.

I also don't think Armstead is an outside DE either. He needs to stay where he has been this season (if he is kept on). He's been very productive this season so it makes no sense to move him outside.

He's due a chunk of cash next year so I would say he will need to restructure or else they will cut him. They just don't need that many interior linemen.

I agree they need a FS, another CB or 2, another pass rusher (in addition to selecting someone in the draft).

They also need another linebacker and that's just on defense. The 49ers are a long way off being a contender and for this reason I'd be against giving up a draft pick for a receiver like AJ Green. The 49ers need to be looking at younger options either through the draft or free agency.

I'm fine with veteran free agents up to a point but I'm not OK with giving up serious draft capital for a 31 year old wide receiver who hasn't been good for several years.

The highlights I have gone through have shown him mainly at Defensive End but there is more than a handful of times he is in the linebacker role and each time he looks that bit more explosive.

Armstead has vastly improved since last season and Armstead currently ranks third among all edge defenders against the run behind only Calais Campbell and Jadeveon Clowney. I don't think they cut him and I think there hope is that he pushes on next season and gets extended.

I understand where you're coming from regarding Veteran Free Agents, the main reason I have mentioned AJ Green, Shane Ray and Earl Thomas is because I think the 49ers are going to move on from some Veterans this off season. I think Garcon, Malcolm Smith and Maybe Earl Mitchell could be gone.

I would agree that Green has been injured and a good course of action would be to draft a WR, I don't think there is any Free Agent WR's who are Number 1 WR's. AJ Green was just an example of who I think would be available. I think the 9ers sorely need a top end red zone threat to open up the offense.

The 49ers are definitely a ways away from being Contenders but I think with a few adjustments, a good draft and a solid Free Agency period we could be fighting for a playoff berth.

A bit of a surprising turn of events last night, good win against a bitter rival but at what cost? Bosa could have been a game changer, hopefully if we don't get the first pick the Cardinals do because I would be sick if the Raiders got it. I think if we fall to third in the draft order that we would definitely be a trade down candidate if Herbert or Haskins declare. The Jags are done with Bortles, The Giants are going to move on from Eli, The Bronco's need a franchise guy, the Redskins after the Alex Smith injury need to take a QB early. I think 3rd or 4th overall pick is a perfect place to be if we do trade down and we could still pick up a great haul of picks even to trade down 5 or 6 spots.

• Advertisement

Ah not too disappointed personally. We got a better player last year from 9 than we got from 3 the previous year. It's all about about player evaluation. The best teams consistently get good players from later spots, yet the same teams we see quite often picking at the top don't seem to get any better.

I think there's a lot of hype about Bosa but he's far from a sure thing.

Wins like last night are huge for a young developing team. There were great performances all over the place. For now we have pick 4 and I think there will be a choice of great players from that spot, just need to pick the right one.

Ah not too disappointed personally. We got a better player last year from 9 than we got from 3 the previous year. It's all about about player evaluation. The best teams consistently get good players from later spots, yet the same teams we see quite often picking at the top don't seem to get any better.

I think there's a lot of hype about Bosa but he's far from a sure thing.

Wins like last night are huge for a young developing team. There were great performances all over the place. For now we have pick 4 and I think there will be a choice of great players from that spot, just need to pick the right one.

I'm not too disappointed at all myself, I wanted Bosa because I think he is a different level edge rusher compared to anyone in this draft but we will still get someone very good.

I think in my mind Mullens has won the Back up QB job, there is still so much room for improvement for him but he is poised in the pocket, doesn't get rattled easily and has made some fantastic throws over the last few games, I think Bethard is also a very solid back up QB but I just don't have faith that he is going to get that much better. I wouldn't waive Bethard, I would say there is some teams who could use a potentially starting calibre QB for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I can't see us winning against the Bears or Rams to finish the season but this was a good and much needed win for a young 49ers team

I don't know the Rams looked pretty awful last night. Ideally the Cardinals beat the Seahawks in Week 17 to keep them out of the playoffs and to move behind us in the the draft order :)

I don't know the Rams looked pretty awful last night. Ideally the Cardinals beat the Seahawks in Week 17 to keep them out of the playoffs and to move behind us in the the draft order :)

The Rams and Bears are in a fight for the first round bye so I think they will come out all guns blazing the next two games, My ideal scenario is the Cardinals beat the Seahawks, they don't make the playoffs, Pete Carroll gets fired and Russell Wilson decides to take up baseball :):):):)

I posted it as OT was about to start but I think getting the Seahawk's streak off our record is worth the drop in draft position, having not beaten them in 5 years. For this year the team has never thrown in the towel but the continued losses had to be killing morale. This will be a great boost going into the off-season, which would have been a struggle if we'd lost out. The team has improved greatly since they increased the usage of the young guys and though it can be a false dawn (see the rookies last year) I do think that, even ignoring the injuries, the team is better than its record.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed that Herbert and Haskins decide to think with their wallet rather than their development and declare. Given the talent likely to declare in 2020 they'll likely drop down.

At this point Mullens has shown he is a better prospect and backup than Beathard but as such I think he is potential trade bait. You could argue that he has outperformed a number of the first round QB picks from last year's draft and given the lack of talent coming this year I'd hope a team could be tempted into making a move for him.

Also, the way things could have shaken out were that the Bears and Rams could have been playing for nothing the final two weeks and we could have gotten 2 accidental wins there which wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying as putting it to the Seahawks.

The pure disrepect/pisstaking of them sending out Brett Hundley for the OT cointoss against Sherman just adding to it.

• Advertisement

I've seen a post that there is a good chance that the Jets SOS is likely to improve so we could end up with 3rd overall even if the Jets lose their last two.

I've seen a post that there is a good chance that the Jets SOS is likely to improve so we could end up with 3rd overall even if the Jets lose their last two.

Per Tankathon, using all 16 opponents Jets are only 0.002 in front of us right now so any minor shift could put us ahead. I think they've also a potentially winnable game at home against an out of it GB, with them potentially sitting Rodgers now for the rest of the year. For the Raiders they have an in division home game against the Broncos, who have nothing to play for, and then another in division game against the Chiefs who might be resting players.

I think there could be a lot of movement left in this, with another unlikely win giving us a big drop with the Falcons and Lions both having a worse SOS.

Things in the last two weeks will be interesting for a different reason than I hoped before the season started.

This is what I was reading.

The Jets have the Patriots (twice) and if they win their last 2 games that will have an effect on the Jets positioning. Then you have the Raiders who could easily beat the Broncos. So the likely landing spots (in order of likelihood I think are: 3rd, 4th, 2nd).

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/12/17/18144309/running-the-numbers-where-will-the-49ers-draft-now-analysis-of-sos

At this stage as long as we are ahead of the Jaguars on the draft board then all is good, We can either stay put and pick up a top 5 talent or trade down and stock up on picks as well as still picking up a good player. The edge rusher class is deep this year so we can find a good one in the teens. I'd Try and screw the Giants, Redskins or Bronco's for Two firsts and a second for a franchise QB.

One thing I saw on twitter earlier that I totally forgot about was the Trump/MAGA/anti-Kaep stuff that Bosa posted about and apparently stands by. Though much less likely now to be an issue, I think it would be an interesting evaluation from the 49ers from an interview perspective. I know the team moved on from Kaep and most of the roster wasn’t there during his time but with the leanings of the fan base and media it could have muddied things a bit.

In the NFL practically anything is forgiven if you’re playing well enough or can keep your thoughts to yourself but you know it is something the media would pick at it constantly and one misstep could become a locker issue.

• Advertisement

One thing I saw on twitter earlier that I totally forgot about was the Trump/MAGA/anti-Kaep stuff that Bosa posted about and apparently stands by. Though much less likely now to be an issue, I think it would be an interesting evaluation from the 49ers from an interview perspective. I know the team moved on from Kaep and most of the roster wasn’t there during his time but with the leanings of the fan base and media it could have muddied things a bit.

In the NFL practically anything is forgiven if you’re playing well enough or can keep your thoughts to yourself but you know it is something the media would pick at it constantly and one misstep could become a locker issue.

That is one of the major doubt about Nick Bosa. They had the same worries about Joey Bosa too, saying that he was a weird guy and hard to talk to but Joey is a great player and I think his brother will be as well.

George Kittle and Kyle Juszczyk named to the pro bowl. Robbie Gould, Deforrest Buckner and special teamer Mark Nzeocha were named as Alternates. Buckner 100% should have been a pro bowler, the guy has been amazing this season being able to get double digit sacks with a pretty bad pass rushing group, Really happy for Kittle though, he has had a stellar season.

Pity Cardinals couldnt put away the Seahawks but 2nd pick in the draft is a decent enough spot given the year we had.

Worst case scenario we pick up our second ranked edge rusher but given Cardinals needs there is a reasonable chance they go another direction or trade out. Presuming Haskins comes out I think it is likely that one of the QB needy teams will trade a nice package of picks to move up to 1 or 2 for him.

With Wilks getting fired it looks like the 49ers coaching staff will be invited to coach in the Senior Bowl. Should be a great opportunity to make assessments.

In news that will annoy some, Kyle just confirmed Saleh staying on for 2019. Definitely in the hot seat next year if the defense doesn't improve with the likely added players.

Also made an early shot towards Hard Knocks, saying that if they're forced to do it they'll get the worst entertainment possible. Would love to get a better insight into the locker room but I like their internal version and all evidence points to it being a huge distraction. Given how outspoken 49ers have been against it the Giants (media market, OBJ, QB situation) and Raiders (TV personalities everywhere and loads of 1st round picks) are more likely.

I was reading on pro football talk that the 49ers have a firm eye set on Odell Beckham Jr and Antonio Brown. They tried to get OBJ before he signed a contract a few months ago and I would imagine they still have some interest in him. I'd rather him than OBJ mainly due to himbeing younger than Brown. OBJ would be very steep in terms of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Think it was Kittle on Twitter that started the AB stuff! Simple tweet saying 'Sup' AB84! Both of those would be hard to get & with the way Lynch & co have picked up players, I'd be surprised if they spent what was required to get either.

myate wrote: »
    Think it was Kittle on Twitter that started the AB stuff! Simple tweet saying 'Sup' AB84! Both of those would be hard to get & with the way Lynch & co have picked up players, I'd be surprised if they spent what was required to get either.

I think this might be a year where they might trade for a WR, not necessarily OBJ or AB but someone, the draft has some good talent but not that many No.1 Receivers. I think AB could be got for two 2nd round picks. OBJ would cost us the 2nd overall pick. I think OBJ would be far to costly for the 9ers. I think they could live with giving up two seconds for Brown.

Steelers won't trade Brown, it would cost them $21m in dead money. And it would likely cost a first round pick and probably more. Cooper went for a first round pick and Brown is a much better player. Thats the sort of trade you make when you are one player away.

The 49ers should look at receivers on day 2 or 3 of the draft and in free agency but they have holes all over the roster that need to be filled.

Linebacker, Pass rusher, Corner Back, Safety, Receiver, Guard, Center, Tackle for when Staley retires.

Steelers won't trade Brown, it would cost them $21m in dead money. And it would likely cost a first round pick and probably more. Cooper went for a first round pick and Brown is a much better player. Thats the sort of trade you make when you are one player away.

The 49ers should look at receivers on day 2 or 3 of the draft and in free agency but they have holes all over the roster that need to be filled.

Linebacker, Pass rusher, Corner Back, Safety, Receiver, Guard, Center, Tackle for when Staley retires.

I'm listening to a lot of people talking about the Brown situation, He supposedly had a massive argument with Ben Roethlisberger and brought Coach Tomlin's name into the argument and he ditched the last week of practice before the game against The Bengals and left the stadium at half time. I don't think he gets traded mainly due to the dead money but he is playing with fire with the Steelers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement