Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rsa supporting e-scooters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What's the max you could get one to do with mods ?

And bikes are safe enough if you don't skimp on the lock

Second point I disagree. Lads at ballaly Luas using angle grinders. No lock can sustain a cutting attack.

Depends. There are bigger ones that can do 48kph on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thargor wrote: »
    I still dont see any advantage over a roadbike or a commuter bike though and plenty of downsides that you don't get with a bike. Inferior Speed/Range and no free exercise being the main ones. If you use one as a daily commuter how long will the battery hold a charge before you're throwing your €500-1000 toy in a skip? Cant leave it on the street or it will be gone.
    Security - you can just bring them in your workplace, under the desk. Same at home, particularly apartments. And I assume a lot of the smaller ones you could probably do the same in a pub/ restaurant (under the table?).

There's also a cohort who don't want the free exercise - they want to go in their work clothes, and not bring changes. And then another few who it is an option for the final kilometer or two off some other public transport.

If I was city centre, I'd potentially use one both ends of a dart trip (park and ride to station, station to office).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not allowed inside the building where I work anyway even pre-covid, large American multinational. I doubt landlords will be too happy to see them propping up the bar or at the table in their restaurants any time soon either.

You can cycle in your work clothes no bother, you dont have to floor it, 20-25 kph wont have you sweating, have a look at rush hour in most European cities.

Bikes are allowed on the DART, Brompton or similar allowed everywhere and on all public transport. You'll have the Brompton forever and pass it on to your grandkids, again anything is better than a car but they're expensive and they just dont last, they're basically disposable, I dont understand the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What's the max you could get one to do with mods ?
    80km/h or more, it depends on the model of course, and the weight of the person.
    rubadub wrote: »
    yep, and they do not all look like crazy souped up yokes either
    https://www.zawione-group.de/elektroscooter/forca-evoking-3-7-vgt-rs-iii-1800-watt-highpower-edition/a-5002651

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualtron-Thunder-5400-Watts-Electric-Minimotors/dp/B081P35L43/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Dualtron+Ultra&qid=1603820813&s=sports&sr=1-1

some do look quite different, the gardai seized one with a seat which was likely quite powerful.

think there are faster than 80km/h too.

SPEED SKATERS: Watch pair caught doing 80 km/h (50mph) on electric scooter in Spain

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thargor wrote: »
    I still dont see any advantage over a roadbike or a commuter bike though and plenty of downsides that you don't get with a bike.
    similar point to what others have mentioned - an ideal use case is 'last mile' transport.
    a friend used to live about a 20 minute walk from the train station, and a similar walk at the far end when he got off the train, to get to the office. a scooter would have been ideal, would have saved maybe half an hour a day.

he was once given a battered old bike to cycle to the train station (coolmine) in the mornings. the bike was stolen on the very first day he used it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It probably all depends on how you intend to travel. I like having the option of locking my bike in the street, since I stop at shops all the time after work, and bringing a scooter in with me everywhere would start to annoy me. I'm fairly sure of this, because I finally gave up on the idea of never locking my Brompton outside, because I got so fed up carrying it around shops.

It does seem that you can't repair e-scooters in a modular fashion and they are poorly water-proofed (based on a comparison done in a Belgian magazine, which was quite damning). I'd like to see that rectified so people get longer out of them.

If I wanted a low-sweat, bring-it-into-the-office option and money were no object, I'd get a e-Brompton. But they are very expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I'm all for them as long as we can clothesline anyone using them on footpaths.

AGS should encourage this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don't even massively mind them on footpaths, as long as they go walking pace near other people. I've pushed them on footpaths abroad and they have an unfortunate tendancy to jackknife and take out the shins of anyone in the viscinity, safer to hold them down with a foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Another article on it.
    They’re clean & green but still illegal as gardai seize 91 electric scooters

https://extra.ie/2020/11/01/featured/electric-green-scooters-illegal-gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

some very minor updates today: https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/eb2a0-government-publishes-road-traffic-and-roads-bill-2021/

Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan TD and Minister of State Hildegarde Naughton TD have announced the publication of the Road Traffic and Roads Bill 2021.

The Bill is a wide-ranging and significant piece of legislation and will deliver on key legislative commitments in the Programme for Government.

These include:

• E-scooters – a new class of powered personal transporters (PPTs), including e-scooters, will be created, and the Minister will be able to provide for the use of these vehicles in public places under existing regulatory powers.

• Advertisement

This is the actual bill. 25kmph, 250w, allowed use cycle lanes, no mention of helmet, no mention of insurance, 16 years old and higher. All fine by me and will hopefully help people get out of cars. more carrot, less stick I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Is it rental only?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The majority of cyclists use the required PPE... the majority of scooterists don’t... they are less visible then cyclists but they often refuse to wear hi-vis, in addition often in hours of darkness and twilight have no lights...and are as guilty as cyclists in fact more so of habitually going through red lights, endangering pedestrians and other road users... I just witnessed one little twerp swerve out in front of us on Seville Place, almost dark, dark helmet, dark, jacket, black scooter, but no lights or hivis, absolute fûcking donor, his expectation was that we’d jam on and let him out of his cycle lane and cross into a house...yes we had to jam on, luckily there was traffic behind but a good few car lengths back which is unusual for that time....

of course when one of them gets flattened due to their disregard and disrespect of other road users the car, van or truck driver will have all the explaining to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There are no required PPE items for cyclists. Unless you mean lights and brakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and are as guilty as cyclists in fact more so of habitually going through red lights, endangering pedestrians and other road users

umm... hello and welcome to the cycling forum.

please read the charter. point 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

What category does a 250w, <25km/hr e-bike with pedals and throttle (e.g. twist and go) only fall under. It clearly does not fall under the category of bicycle as it does not meet the "(II) the output of which cuts off when the physical exertions stop,” condition on page 42/44pdf (section 16/b/1/a/ii/II).

However it does appear (to me) to fall under the category of ‘powered personal transporter’ as defined in section 16/e&f (page43/ 45pdf). But am I right.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I use mine all the time for any trip in the city really, doctor's appointments, going out for food, shopping and anything like that. Not once has any shop, café or restaurant in Dublin city even looked at me strange for bringing in my scooter, I've even asked if I can charge a few times without issues.

At work, similar to you, the landlord stopped allowing them in because they bring in a lot of dirt and water. Now I just lock it up in the underground car park where people lock up their bikes, no big issue on that front either.

good question - is there a clear distinction between them now in law?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

What is required PPE and what is your source regarding the majority of cyclists vs the majority of scooterists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The AA members have had their say on e-scooters - all predictable stuff in there (licence, tax, insurance, helmets, hi-viz, etc)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Feck, gotta put my money where my mouth is now.

Spotted the quoted text on page 48/49 of the bills text. They could potentially ban using headphones?

Amendment of section 3 of Road Traffic Act 2006 35. Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 2006 is amended— (a) in subsection (1), by the insertion of “, or a powered personal transporter,” after “mechanically propelled vehicle”, (b) by the insertion of the following subsection after subsection (4)— “(4A) The Minister may, to avoid the impairment of, or interference with, the driving capacity or capabilities of a driver of a powered personal transporter, make regulations in relation to the restriction or 48 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 prohibition while driving a powered personal transporter in a public place of the use of— (a) a mobile phone (other than in the circumstances referred to in subsection (1)), (b) information equipment, or (c) entertainment equipment.”,

Hmmmm might be easier to read the source

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2021/128/eng/initiated/b12821d.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Man on lunchtime live said he wouldn't wear a helmet while on an e scooter but wears a mask.

Aren't you feckin brilliant that you won't sweat when cycling. Lots of people would.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I 100% agree with strict speed limits, but the AA must lead by example.

Max speed limit in Ireland is 120km so cars should be speed limited to that for safety reasons, I wager the AA will be against this ideas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Calm down, half the workforce in a few EU countries do it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

non fold up bikes arent allowed on the dart during rush hour though, not that anyone pays attention mind.

Most EU countries have door to door public transport, where the last mile is a much shorter distance than large parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Advertisement