Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Hi,

Can I just check that if there is no existing thermostat on the boiler then the Netatmo can be installed in place of the APT Mechanical Timer?

The Netatmo thermostat will then just switch the boiler on and off to maintain the temperature in the room where the thermostat is?

My parents have an old Potterton Suprima 50l Gas boiler which only has a manual temperature control and I'd like to get them set up with a smart solution if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Hi,

Can I just check that if there is no existing thermostat on the boiler then the Netatmo can be installed in place of the APT Mechanical Timer?

The Netatmo thermostat will then just switch the boiler on and off to maintain the temperature in the room where the thermostat is?

My parents have an old Potterton Suprima 50l Gas boiler which only has a manual temperature control and I'd like to get them set up with a smart solution if I can.

Yes, but note G-Mans reply above. The netatmo should switch a secondary relay. The permanent live should remain to boilers for frost protection etc.

You could leave the timer in there just in case the netatmo goes faulty (mine has twice). Set clock on all the time and let netatmo trigger boiler. I wired a bypass switch in aswell so you can revert back to the clock easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

gutteruu wrote: »
    Yes, but note G-Mans reply above. The netatmo should switch a secondary relay. The permanent live should remain to boilers for frost protection etc.

You could leave the timer in there just in case the netatmo goes faulty (mine has twice). Set clock on all the time and let netatmo trigger boiler. I wired a bypass switch in aswell so you can revert back to the clock easily.

Cheers Gutteruu, I'll keep that in mind. The brother in law is an electrician so I might get him to have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

My Netatmo thermostat was installed by Energia 2 years ago has an issue. The boiler just doesn't fire, no noise at all from it. The LED on the relay turns on OK and I can hear it 'click'. This happened a few months back but then just started working again.

This time I turned off the mains and popped off the relay to take a look. There are scorch marks inside the relay! Doesn't look good. Pictures attached.

Just contacted Energia to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

JDxtra wrote: »
    My Netatmo thermostat was installed by Energia 2 years ago has an issue. The boiler just doesn't fire, no noise at all from it. The LED on the relay turns on OK and I can hear it 'click'. This happened a few months back but then just started working again.

This time I turned off the mains and popped off the relay to take a look. There are scorch marks inside the relay! Doesn't look good. Pictures attached.

That's more then scorch marks.

Do not use this.

That was a loose connection so most likely you had something like clothes up against it and it had been moved slightly.

You need a new unit.

• Advertisement

Thanks for confirming. That is very likely, it always seemed a fraction loose. I won't be using this anymore.

Thanks for confirming. That is very likely, it always seemed a fraction loose. I won't be using this anymore.

It needs to be pushed in and locked into place.

I found it great myself when I had it in the house I was renting.

No problems at all but make sure it goes in the bin as it is now dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Jaysus, that's serious. Agree with punisher, isolate this immediately!

Have to say, that install looks poor from the second picture too - not level, different screws used, very rough looking. Normally if an installation looks right it is right ...

Check the Netatmo relay is/was wired to the boiler enable or to the zone valve, not the boiler power supply; the enable will have minimal power current and allow the boiler to remain powered for frost protection when heating is 'off'.

This is why I did the wiring to my own heating system myself - the understanding of correct electrical wiring on the heating side of things here in Ireland, I've found, is very poor ...

Thanks, yes - it is isolated now. Very poor install now that I look at it. I don't know why he used different screws, one of them was even too long and was screwed into the wires behind the plate (no damage thankfully, but close). It may have been burnt out like this for some time. It's going in the bin, just waiting to see if Energia respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭G-Man

Mine has the same bad install by Energia Mismatching screws that are too long and almost pierce the cable behind.. Why is it so bad, the netatmo itself is very slick and it's unboxing is ipad like.....

Is it some mod for the irish market..

• Advertisement

G-Man wrote: »
    Mine has the same bad install by Energia Mismatching screws that are too long and almost pierce the cable behind.. Why is it so bad, the netatmo itself is very slick and it's unboxing is ipad like.....

Is it some mod for the irish market..

The way I fitted mine was screws into wall and tails into a nice surface junction box which imo looked much better.

The way they are doing it is a money saving option and in a way means no visible cables which if done correctly is ok of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Hi,

I've had my Netatmo installed now for a couple of years and it's working away fine along with the new gas boiler it was installed with. Basically the Netatmo has just been used as a replacement for the old timer switch which we previously had. I still have the old Imit thermostat on the hall wall and I'd like to replace this with the Netatmo by wiring it to the Netatmo wall mount etc.

Have any of you replaced an Imit thermostat with your Netatmo?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

nc6000 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've had my Netatmo installed now for a couple of years and it's working away fine along with the new gas boiler it was installed with. Basically the Netatmo has just been used as a replacement for the old timer switch which we previously had. I still have the old Imit thermostat on the hall wall and I'd like to replace this with the Netatmo by wiring it to the Netatmo wall mount etc.

Have any of you replaced an Imit thermostat with your Netatmo?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You can place it on as it will be doing the exact same things as where it is. It just acts as a switch exactly like the thermostat.

I would guess these cables are no longer wired at the boiler?
    Or is this thermostat still been used as having both there is no point.

I would guess these cables are no longer wired at the boiler?
    Or is this thermostat still been used as having both there is no point.

I don't think it was ever wired to the boiler, the old boiler only ever worked off the timer\switch and didn't come on based on the temperature.

As far as I know it's connected to the unit in the hot press in the attached picture.

If I was to set the thermostat to say zero then I think something in the hot press will stop the flow of hot water from the boiler and basically turn the boiler off.

Does that make sense?

I don't think it was ever wired to the boiler, the old boiler only ever worked off the timer\switch and didn't come on based on the temperature.

As far as I know it's connected to the unit in the hot press in the attached picture.

If I was to set the thermostat to say zero then I think something in the hot press will stop the flow of hot water from the boiler and basically turn the boiler off.

Does that make sense?

So it will control the flow from the boiler.

Why not leave the set up as is.

Your netatamo is exactly the same as what's on the wall and it does all the same job.

So it will control the flow from the boiler.

Why not leave the set up as is.

Your netatamo is exactly the same as what's on the wall and it does all the same job.

No reason I can't just leave the existing setup, I just thought the Netatmo might look a bit smarter on the wall in the hall and it might be a better location for the thermostat.

No reason I can't just leave the existing setup, I just thought the Netatmo might look a bit smarter on the wall in the hall and it might be a better location for the thermostat.

You can put the control unit there but I believe it's best in a sitting room or kitchen as the hall may well be colder and look for heating much more so in the end cost more also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You can put the control unit there but I believe it's best in a sitting room or kitchen as the hall may well be colder and look for heating much more so in the end cost more also.

I've mine in the hall, the sitting room has an open fire and the kitchen has an oven making them unsuitable for it. The hallway is actually the best place for an average temperature. Make sure it's away from radiators

I've mine in the hall, the sitting room has an open fire and the kitchen has an oven making them unsuitable for it. The hallway is actually the best place for an average temperature. Make sure it's away from radiators

Yes, I agree that the hall is probably the best place to put the thermostat and was why the older thermostat was put there when the house was built.

It isn't above a rad and not too close to the door either which is why I'd like to put the Netatmo there in its place but I'm not sure if I can just do a swap.

Is your Netamo thermostat wired to anything or just connecting back to the relay through WIFI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Is your Netamo thermostat wired to anything or just connecting back to the relay through WIFI?

Mine is wireless back to the relay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭CodeJACK

Hi, Im in the process of renovating my home and the new heating system has two zones, upstairs and downstairs.

Energia say this is not allowed so they wont give me the Netatmo but my Electrician says that two zones are normal and actually part of the building regs these days.

I looked up the Netatmo site and it says it does work with Multi zone but you simply install another Netatmo in the other zone.

So why wont Energia allow me have the Netatmo?

Will I just tell them I have a single zone and ask the installer to just set it up for downstairs where I want it to be?

CodeJACK wrote: »
    Hi, Im in the process of renovating my home and the new heating system has two zones, upstairs and downstairs.

Energia say this is not allowed so they wont give me the Netatmo but my Electrician says that two zones are normal and actually part of the building regs these days.

I looked up the Netatmo site and it says it does work with Multi zone but you simply install another Netatmo in the other zone.

Will I just tell them I have a single zone and ask the installer to just set it up for downstairs where I want it to be?

Correct just state you want and fit another on the other zone yourself or get a unit that can do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

I had my Netatmo for the past three years, working flawlessly, very happy with it. My setup involved replacing an APT 24hr manual clock with the Netatmo Relay while the thermostat was wireless.

Just before Christmas I noticed that sometimes my boiler wasn't switching off and the house would just be free running up to 26c. Not fun. Reconnecting the APT, it worked as usual, clunking on and off with the timer etc.

Reading back through this thread, I discovered "The High Horse Brigade post #490", had exactly the same problem and deduced it was a stuck relay. His remedy was putting a new Netatmo (relay) switching an additional separate relay, which then fed the boiler.

So, I have my new Netatmo, and am planning to put its switched output through a Finder Relay (part 13.31.8.230.4300) rated 12A 230V. It's small size means I can hide it behind a socket or in a pattress box, keeping things neat.

The Finder has four terminals - left to right (14, 13, A2, A1) Photos attached for clarity.

I want to double check the exact wiring, from mains, to Netatmo Relay, to Finder Relay.

I think I'm feeding always live to A1, switched live from Netatmo to A2 which energises the electromagnet inside, and 13 or 14 can be used to feed onward to fire the boiler. Am I right?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

woidoi wrote: »
    I think I'm feeding always live to A1, switched live from Netatmo to A2 which energises the electromagnet inside, and 13 or 14 can be used to feed onward to fire the boiler. Am I right?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi there, looking at that relay diagram, A1 and A2 are the coil energising terminals; A2 should be wired to 230v neutral permanently and A1 should be 230v live feed, wired through Netatmo relay to do the switching.

13 and 14 are then the switched live feed to the boiler i.e. 230v in and out. Doesn't matter whether 13 or 14 are in or out, the relay is just making or breaking the 230v. Better still, if there is a powered valve (actuator), but don't want to over complicate (unless you want!).

You really shouldn't be switching the main power supply to the boiler though. There is normally a separate live feed in the boiler itself for switching the boiler on and off. That way the boiler can still have power for frost protection.

Hope this makes sense ...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

Thanks Zilog for your quick response.

Simple is the best with this setup as the burner is an old Riello 40 g3b Firebird 90k installed in the utility room (apparently it was the most installed burner in the country). It's a good workhorse, but it doesn't have any of the niceties modern boilers have like frost protection. There's just the three standard wires dropping from the timeclock down to it (Neutral, Live, Earth) and they are directly delivered to the powerblock on the burner (shown above 3,4,5 in the attached diagram). So literally, the APT timeclock bangs it off and on. Saying that, three zoned thermostats feed the pumps of three zones and obviously are wired back through the APT as well as they can Interlock the burner (when the stats say the Setpoint has been reached the burner pauses - lights still on but no burning takes places, pumps still pump).

When I had my Netatmo relay installed in the APT's place of course, it applied current when the stat called for it.

I should have upgraded to a condensing boiler when the grant was still there. Now, I suppose we wait to see what the next government plans for us, (seeing as there are rumours oil burners will be banned from sale by 2025)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

CodeJACK wrote: »

It's because they install the Netatmo to upgrade homes from single zone heating systems with a basic clock or no clock to a smart single zone with remote access. It qualifies as a measure under the Energy Efficiency Obligation Scheme.
    Installing it in your situation means it would not qualify as a measure and they can't report it under the scheme rules.

Advertisement