Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have the thermostat and also purchased the rad valves but these are not installed yet. Waiting on the plumber to install these as I need new valves

Have not noticed drastic reduction but its the handiness of it. So having the ability to turn on heating remotely or as bk says while in bed. Only issue sometimes is their server can go down and cannot connect via app so have to use thermostat box. With Junior at home heating on a bit more so good to have the ability to do this via app. Not sure if 2 users can have the app as I have android and just need to install it on BH apple. Check out the forum for FAQ etc

https://forum.netatmo.com/

It also links with Alexa but have not explored that much yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Have not noticed drastic reduction but its the handiness of it. So having the ability to turn on heating remotely or as bk says while in bed. Only issue sometimes is their server can go down and cannot connect via app so have to use thermostat box. With Junior at home heating on a bit more so good to have the ability to do this via app. Not sure if 2 users can have the app as I have android and just need to install it on BH apple. Check out the forum for FAQ etc

I've not noticed any connectivity issues! Maybe check your connection between the thermostat and relay or maybe down to your wifi issues.

You can install the app on two or more phones, we have it on one iPhone and one Android phone.
    It also links with Alexa but have not explored that much yet.

It works and is fun. Also works with GHome and Apple Homekit/Siri :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I saved a fortune on heating as the girlfriend for a very long time didn't understand how to use it.

Heating went from been left on and nobody there and her just having it on for the craic it seemed.

But honestly saved me a fortune with a comfortable setting and no cold house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hi Guys

Thinking of getting one of these for my Dad for Christmas. They have a Firebird Popular 120 which is currently controlled by a timer on the garage wall

Does it sound right that I cna extend the cables used for the timer and attach into the Netatmo thermostat by drilling and feeding through to an internal wall ?

Just worried it might sound too easy !!!

Hi Guys

Thinking of getting one of these for my Dad for Christmas. They have a Firebird Popular 120 which is currently controlled by a timer on the garage wall

Does it sound right that I cna extend the cables used for the timer and attach into the Netatmo thermostat by drilling and feeding through to an internal wall ?
    U
    Just worried it might sound too easy !!!

Is there a control unit or timer inside???

If so you can run it off the timer.
    Do they only have one zone?

If the boiler is just heating radiators and water together then its ideal but if these 2 are separate then you would need 2 or a nest or similar.

I find the netatamo great and extremely easy to fit and use.

Basically the wiring is going in as a switch so it does the set up times on app or whenever you want it on as an extra boost and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tom, is the timer inside the garage (waterproof)? And is it close to the house?

If it is, then possibly you don't even have to bring the cables into the house. Netatmo comes with both a thermostat and bridge. The bridge can potentially replace the timer and the thermostat can work wirelessly in the house wherever you want.

This is all dependent on distance and wireless signal strengths, but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I'm having trouble getting my second one to connect due to distance. Does the relay part connect to wifi aswell or is it just the thermostat (which then connects to the relay via bluetooth)? Relay part is in the shed which can't reach the wifi. I've tried wifi repeaters but its gives me some generic error about wifi (no port filtering, wifi might have mac address filter etc).

gutteruu wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting my second one to connect due to distance. Does the relay part connect to wifi aswell or is it just the thermostat (which then connects to the relay via bluetooth)? Relay part is in the shed which can't reach the wifi. I've tried wifi repeaters but its gives me some generic error about wifi (no port filtering, wifi might have mac address filter etc).

Could you move the router or position it so the line of sight or overall coverage would increase in that direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

gutteruu wrote: »

The relay uses Wi-Fi, the stat connects directly to the relay using Bluetooth. Get yourself a set of homeplugs with Wi-Fi access point on Argos, you can return them if they don't work

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

There's a socket beside where my timer clock was so I now have the Netatmo powered from the socket and switching a 10A 230v miniature relay that I have nice and neat in a small square junction box.

I have a Netatmo on order, but I've been worried that my oil boiler and circulating pump will will draw more than the Netatmo's rated 0.5A. Your 10A 230v relay sounds exactly what I need. Would you be able to post a link to what I need and maybe a photo of your set-up?

TIA,
    B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

bothyhead wrote:
    I have a Netatmo on order, but I've been worried that my oil boiler and circulating pump will will draw more than the Netatmo's rated 0.5A. Your 10A 230v relay sounds exactly what I need. Would you be able to post a link to what I need and maybe a photo of your set-up?

Hi, I used a relay I got from rs Finder SPNO Switch Box Monostable Relay, 230V ac Coil 12 A

look this up for details. I got it to fit inside a deep slab box.

bootser wrote: »
    Hi, I used a relay I got from rs Finder SPNO Switch Box Monostable Relay, 230V ac Coil 12 A

That looks so neat; it's perfect. Of course it's out of stock in Radionics until Jan 12th :( It has given me an idea what to search for though.

Thanks!
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Hi
    Just get one ordered fro amazon and have a problem(as always i thought only 2 cables to connect;) with connecting it instead of Flash Immermat 24hr Immersion Time Clock - i would like to use relay in place of it and be able to put thermostat where i want.
    The way it looks like now. Can anyone help me connect it to relay and make it works:)

loki7777 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just get one ordered fro amazon and have a problem(as always i thought only 2 cables to connect;) with connecting it instead of Flash Immermat 24hr Immersion Time Clock - i would like to use relay in place of it and be able to put thermostat where i want.
    The way it looks like now. Can anyone help me connect it to relay and make it works:)

It's the same as mine. The load will be too much for the Netatmo so you need a 230v 10A relay and use the Netatmo to switch the relay on and off allowing 230v to the boiler. You'll need a sparks if you can't do that yourself.

Can you show some pic of how does it looks like in your house? And which relay did you bought?

Can you show some pic of how does it looks like in your house? And which relay did you bought?

It's in the utility so I extended the cables to an enclosure I hid under the worktop behind the washing machine :D
    Any electrical store will have them, just a standard 10A 230V relay and base

467238.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

loki7777 wrote:

If you look up the relay I mentioned above it's a bit smaller, the the one shown by high horse is excellent.

But how did you connected all together? I assume extra relay is visible or did you hid it somewhere?
    I read all in this topic and also now looked for you post in here but pic is worth more then 100 words;)

But how did you connected all together? I assume extra relay is visible or did you hid it somewhere?
    I read all in this topic and also now looked for you post in here but pic is worth more then 100 words;)

Like I said I extended the cables and ran them into an enclosure

But i meant which cable and where should i connect it exactly so it was a question to booster - you know to see how it looks like - brown goes here, blue goes there etc.

• Advertisement

I ended up using a contactor rather than a relay (230V coil, 2 NO, 20A). The whole thing fit in a double-gang pattress box. I decided to leave my existing time-switch in place, but it is permanently switched on. This gives me the option to quickly re-wire to time-switch only mode if anything happens the Netatmo.

photo.jpg

sketch.jpg

L-in and N-in are coming from the time-switch

For clarity: You should ignore the word 'relay' in my sketch. This is Netatmo's terminology and should not be confused with the relay shown in The high horse brigade's drawing.

But i meant which cable and where should i connect it exactly so it was a question to booster - you know to see how it looks like - brown goes here, blue goes there etc.

This is what is needed.

467249.jpg

Thank You all for help!

Thank You all for help!

Good luck. It's a great little yoke when you have it setup. It takes about two weeks to learn your house, how long it takes to raise temperatures etc but after that you should notice a nice saving in heating. I've mine at 19 degrees rising to 19.5 from 8-10pm each evening and falling to 18.5 during the night and on days when nobody is home

That's why i bought one. Was trying to get one from energia but i couldn't as the house was build in 2008 and wouldn't be able to get grant;)
    I will aks my friend for help ans i could put a new socket or light switch but this could be too much for me - i'm more in computers then electricity.

That's why i bought one. Was trying to get one from energia but i couldn't as the house was build in 2008 and wouldn't be able to get grant;)
    I will aks my friend for help ans i could put a new socket or light switch but this could be too much for me - i'm more in computers then electricity.

It's a piece of cake to anyone with a little electrical experience. It's just two relays in series

Edit:
    Fixed my image

I've mine at 19 degrees rising to 19.5 from 8-10pm each evening and falling to 18.5 during the night and on days when nobody is home

Mine is 19 during the day (I work from home); 20 in the evening; and 17 over night. I agree, it is a great little yoke. It's amazing how comfortable a lowish constant temperature is.

I need your help again.
    I bought everything as said by you but can't get my electrician to fit it for me since two weeks time.
    So i need a simple instruction which cable connect to which pin in the relay (pics in attachment).

I have 8 wires: 4 netatmo - 2 power, 2 to start/stop heating, and 4 power wires in the outlet: 2 from power box, 2 to boiler.
    I assume power L IN, N IN comes from house and L Out, N out goes to boiler.

Ps. I know job just in time for Christmas;)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

Are people using the relays to switch on and off full power to the boiler and all its pumps...

Hmmm normal modern boilers are meant to be permanently powered and allow their internal controls to select exactly when to turn on and more importantly turn offf (keep cooling and exhaust fans running)..

Now it might not make much difference, but thats why the netatmo only switches such low current its really a request line to the boiler and then the boiler decides then to take the full current needed from its mains.

• Advertisement

G-Man wrote: »
    Are people using the relays to switch on and off full power to the boiler and all its pumps...

Hmmm normal modern boilers are meant to be permanently powered and allow their internal controls to select exactly when to turn on and more importantly turn offf (keep cooling and exhaust fans running)..

Now it might not make much difference, but thats why the netatmo only switches such low current its really a request line to the boiler and then the boiler decides then to take the full current needed from its mains.

No, we're using them to switch a relay in place of a time clock. Read the last page or two.

Advertisement