Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The older of my two devices has developed a hardware fault, and unfortunately it is outside of warranty.

Our childminder is not technical, so uses the up/ down motion on the thermostat itself to boost the temperature. The up motion stopped working. Down works fine, but I cannot turn the thermostat up using the hardware.

Annoying, given that it's probably just a spring internally.
    It lasted nearly two years.

All the software still works fine, but it means I need to train her how to use the app.

Can you not just turn it upside down, so that the down now becomes the up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Can you not just turn it upside down, so that the down now becomes the up?

That's actually a pretty smart idea but I believe (open to correction) that the eInk display auto rotates.

Yeah, so it will rotate so it's still displaying correctly, and the button that was at the bottom is now at the top so you can then increase the temperature?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, so it will rotate so it's still displaying correctly, and the button that was at the bottom is now at the top so you can then increase the temperature?

Looks like I'm unscrewing the backplate off the wall at the weekend, rotating, and testing this out.

Pretty obvious now that you say it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Looking for help to connect Netatmo.

https://goo.gl/photos/ZBNkj14dZRuvbk9e8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

givecredit wrote: »
    Looking for help to connect Netatmo.

https://goo.gl/photos/ZBNkj14dZRuvbk9e8

First figure out which blue brown pair is the mains feed with your meter, it will always have power when the timer is set to always off. The other blue brown pair is the feed to the boiler.

Connect all the blues together along with the blue to your Netatmo relay, you will not be switching neutrals only lives. Then you connect the mains brown to the Netatmo brown and grey, this is power for the relay itself and the power going to the relay for the boiler. The other browns which feed the boiler get connected to the remaining black that will send power to the boiler when the relay closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

First figure out which blue brown pair is the mains feed with your meter, it will always have power when the timer is set to always off. The other blue brown pair is the feed to the boiler.

Connect all the blues together along with the blue to your Netatmo relay, you will not be switching neutrals only lives. Then you connect the mains brown to the Netatmo brown and grey, this is power for the relay itself and the power going to the relay for the boiler. The other browns which feed the boiler get connected to the remaining black that will send power to the boiler when the relay closes.

Well done High Horse Brigade; that is the simplest and easiest to understand advice and method that I have come across on these many pages! Thank you.

I picked up one of these from Amazon for £104.99 recently and am going to install it Saturday in place of an APT 24hr Clock timer. I have 4 zones in my house, 3 heating and 1 water and the electrician wired them all into the one timeclock (lack of independent water control is a right pain in the particulars). I assume there will be no other funnies to keep in mind with this setup?

https://goo.gl/photos/ZXnwJ284jPiEae559

I'm going to have one movable thermostat as a master intelligent control for the house (i.e. ability to move it to a different room if that is a better summation for the house requirements) and then maybe replace the zone thermostats with more Netatmos at a later date. Will I need a seperate relay for each one or will all the termostats talk to the relay installed to the boiler (as above)?.

Thanks.

I'm having a problem with mine, it cut in but it didn't cut out this morning. I think the relay is sticking. The boiler was on when i got to it this morning but the relay switch wasn't lit

406363.PNG

Yep, confirmed with my meter I have a sticking relay. RMA time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Yep, confirmed with my meter I have a sticking relay. RMA time

Best of luck with that. Their support is pretty brutal. Took me a lot of effort to get them to eventually help me. But once you have their attention they are relatively good at getting your old kit collected, returned and replaced.
    I 'got their attention' by complaining on their facebook page. But 8 weeks from receiving first faulty product to eventually getting a non faulty one delivered.

While waiting why not try using the thermostat wired and the relay just as the router?

• Advertisement

Winterlong wrote: »
    Best of luck with that. Their support is pretty brutal. Took me a lot of effort to get them to eventually help me. But once you have their attention they are relatively good at getting your old kit collected, returned and replaced.
    I 'got their attention' by complaining on their facebook page. But 8 weeks from receiving first faulty product to eventually getting a non faulty one delivered.

The advantage of buying on Amazon. The new one is already dispatched and I have 30 days to ship the old one back.

I'm wondering now if I've blown this by powering the boiler and pump through it. On investigation I see it's only rated for 4A 120W which is very low. I'm going to add a 10A relay and control that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The advantage of buying on Amazon. The new one is already dispatched and I have 30 days to ship the old one back.

I'm wondering now if I've blown this by powering the boiler and pump through it. On investigation I see it's only rated for 4A 120W which is very low. I'm going to add a 10A relay and control that instead.

Yeah, these yokes are not really for load bearing, just switching.
    Good job that you are wiht amazon and not direct with netatmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Really your boiler should have a separate permanent power supply; this allows frost protection too (boiler automatically switches on).

Check if your boiler has an enable input. Typically it is looped or bridged out so that when you power or plug in the boiler, it comes on.

Zilog wrote: »
    Really your boiler should have a separate permanent power supply; this allows frost protection too (boiler automatically switches on).

Check if your boiler has an enable input. Typically it is looped or bridged out so that when you power or plug in the boiler, it comes on.

I'm in a rented house so cannot make big changes like this. Changing a timer clock for a stat is fine, I can easily change it back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭supue

I got a new heating system in last year - three zones (upstairs/downstairs/water). My one ask on setting the whole thing up was the ability to access remotely or to turn up or down the heating as needed from anywhere in the house over an app. The guy who put in my system said it's simply not possible to put these thermostats on the version we got installed after the boiler was installed. Any suggestions for getting a good second opinion elsewhere - the compatability check with Netatmo is beyond my technical skills with asks about electrical panels etc.?

I've a worcester bosch greenstar 40cdi boiler (with a control on the boiler for adjusting heat output), a standard wall-mounted zone timer for setting the on/off times for the zones, and there's a cheap thermostat on the wall downstairs which doesn't seem to do anything when I adjust temp up or down! There's also some systemlink box connected beside the boiler which seems to do a lot of electronics for the zones. With some of the milder days recently the house has been overly warm which leads me to believe something's not working as it should.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not surprised some things not working as clearly your installer is a complete spoofer from what he said!

You have a 2 zone + water system. Netatmo won't work with that as it doesn't support water, but Nest or Hive should as they both support water. Note you will need two thermostats, one for each zone.

I'd recommend calling around for installers who install nest or hive. Have them take a look at you setup first to make sure it is working ok and get one of these systems in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭supue

I reckon that's the way to go - I'll get this home automation cracked yet!

supue wrote: »
    and there's a cheap thermostat on the wall downstairs which doesn't seem to do anything when I adjust temp up or down!

We had our boiler replaced before Christmas and the thermostat was in the hall, a dumb place anyway. However while it would read the temperature, you could here the click when you adjusted it to see where it was at, it wasn't sending the signal back to the boiler correctly anyway. The problem was that it wasn't getting enough voltage (or something, I'm no sparks). The guys had to put a new one in at a different location and wire it correctly. It's all moot now as it was since replaced by a Nest anyway.

My replacement stat arrived from Amazon earlier in the week and I got around to fitting it this evening. There's a socket beside where my timer clock was so I now have the Netatmo powered from the socket and switching a 10A 230v miniature relay that I have nice and neat in a small square junction box.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Did anyone here get the Energia netatmo installed? What company actually did the install? Does it use the SEAI grant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Finally got around to setting it up, working great thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭prochida

Energia installer in Cork is on missing list. Waiting since end November for installer to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

prochida wrote: »
    Energia installer in Cork is on missing list. Waiting since end November for installer to call.
    Also been waiting since November. I rang again on Monday and got absolutely no satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭prochida

just got appointment for service next week, will then have to wait for Netamo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Got my thermostat installed today by Energia. Rang last Tuesday for a boiler service and it was serviced last Friday. The engineer confirmed it was compatible with Netatmo and Energia again rang yesterday to make an appointment for installation of it today.

Integration is working great with Echo dot contrary to reviews I've read of the skill. Now I'm just waiting on them to release the smart radiator valves so I have better control of heat in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

How are people finding this as first bill was ok but this months bill has shot up. So have different programs on it and on Eco during the day and temp set for 20 in the morning and night time. Need to change this as its not been that cold
    Also when I am away us the away function which is ok but when I turn it back on not sure if Program kicks in or not
    So what are users current programs as with warm weather, supposingly for the spring, I want to change the program to suit this and looking how users are finding it in relation to their bills?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How are people finding this as first bill was ok but this months bill has shot up. So have different programs on it and on Eco during the day and temp set for 20 in the morning and night time. Need to change this as its not been that cold
    Also when I am away us the away function which is ok but when I turn it back on not sure if Program kicks in or not
    So what are users current programs as with warm weather, supposingly for the spring, I want to change the program to suit this and looking how users are finding it in relation to their bills?

Well of course your bill shoots up this time of year, it is winter after all!

BTW your previous bill was probably an estimated bill and you current bill has a real reading, so probably takes into account the real usage of the 4 months of winter.

I haven't noticed any difference between my bills with the Netatmo, versus my previous thermostat.

Which is what I expected given my usage, I didn't expect to save anything with it, it was more about improvements in comfort and convenience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

I've had my Netatmo installed for about two months now. Absolutely love it and wife thinks it's the business too. Ours is an oil burner so it's hard to tell if we're using more or less than what we did before until we get a year's use under our belt. We had our walls and attic pumped a couple of years ago so our house is pretty toasty anyway. Originally we had it set to be 20 degrees all day and 18 degrees at night. Looking at the graphs in the app I discovered that the house never dropped below 19 degrees. We were all commenting on the house being very warm, even during the recent cold snap. After a couple of weeks of use I let the stat use the new Netatmo algorithm and modified my schedule to the following.

I found that I had to reduce it to 19 degrees during most of the day (I work from home). I have it set to 18 at night time and have it come on at 20 first thing in the morning. So 1am - 7.30am 18 degrees, 7.30-9.30 am 20 degrees, 9.30am to 5pm 19 degrees, 5pm to 1am 20 degrees.

My wife is at home with a cold at the moment so she tells Alexa to boost it to 20 degrees on occasion. The boiler clicks on for a few minutes and the temperature quickly gets up there.

We have the portable stat out in our hallway which is usually in shadow so normally is the coldest place in our house. My son occasional brings it into his bedroom when he is studying but I think that is more a placebo thing more than anything (if he sees it set to 19 or 20 he doesn't argue it's cold!)

I'm sure when the temperature warms up outside the house will be warm inside anyway so I don't think there will be too much adjusting going on with the stat. If it's already warm, then it shouldn't come on! ;)

After a few weeks playing we have figured what temperatures we like. I added a hot profile at 20 degrees but over time I dropped this to 19.5 without the missus noticing so she's happy to leave it there. I'm using the algorithm and its working very well, the heating cuts in for at least few minutes every hour. The house feels warmer and I estimate we're saving at least an hours heating a day compared to time schedules we had but that could just be the mild winter

We have 4 temperature profiles, eco 17.5, night 18, comfort 19 and hot 19.5. Monday to Friday I have the following as my wife is out all day but home for lunch. 12-7.30 night, 7.30-9 hot, 9-1 eco, 1-2 comfort, 2-6 eco, 6-12 hot. Saturday and Sunday are 12-8 night, 8-6 comfort and 6-12 hot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Have a few questions could finds answers for:

1. As I've two wired Thermostats (up/down) and programmer to manage both+Hot Water. will I be able to reuse old Thermostats Wired cabling with Netatmo?

2. Does anyone know if Energia now provide multi zone Netatmo (SEAI grant never claimed)?
    Can someone who have engineer coming over ask them?
    I've hot water, down and upstairs zones with wired thermostats.

3. If not will they be able to leave the programmer in situ so that it can be used for Hot water and other zone so that I can add second Netatmo myself to control other zone(s)?

Advertisement