Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media - TV, 250MB broadband, phone + Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for €55 a mont

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

FitzShane wrote: »
    Was on a very good deal for the last 9 months (70e per month for TV, broadband & Sky Sports HD), but now on a terrible deal (116e) for the next 3.

I suspect a call to their sales reps is needed. Could try just leave and get gf to sign up but will they want to come take away the box and install new one etc?

You have a contract they don't have to offer anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

So for existing customers you aren’t going to get Sky Cinema or Sky Sports for 1€. I tried pretty hard but no joy. You are better off cancelling and signing up under someone else in the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Any affiliate offers other than the boardsoffer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

This might be a very silly question. Just took receipt of the horizon tv box. Does it have to be connected directly to the old ntl connection on the wall?

I had assumed only the router would need to be connected to the old ntl connection and that the tv box could work wirelessly off same

From a quick lool at the installtion booklet this does not appear to be the case but I may be wrong. My old ntl connection is nowhere near my tv..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

did you get both the horizon box and the media hub? Or just horizon box? If the latter, then yes, just connect directly to the wall outlet. If the former, you would have received a splitter and cables. Both need connection to the wall outlet.

dodzy wrote:
    did you get both the horizon box and the media hub? Or just horizon box? If the latter, then yes, just connect directly to the wall outlet. If the former, you would have received a splitter and cables. Both need connection to the wall outlet.

Yes received both. Better get on to virgin tomorrow and make use of the cooling off period.

The set up is no good to me. Darn it!

Thanks for reply

Why? The media hub, taking the internet function from the horizon box, is a far superior setup. Don’t see your issue here unless I’m missing something? Unless you want the horizon box for a bedroom with no tv point ?

dodzy wrote:
    Why? The media hub, taking the internet function from the horizon box, is a far superior setup. Don’t see your issue here unless I’m missing something? Unless you want the horizon box for a bedroom with no tv point ?

Im not sure I understand either :)

So the wall connection is one corner of my living room while my tv is in the opposite corner. I understood that the tv box has to be connected to the wall connection via cable and the tv via hdmi.. they are simply too far apart and I wont get away with a cable trailing across the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Damiencm wrote: »
    Im not sure I understand either :)

So the wall connection is one corner of my living room while my tv is in the opposite corner. I understood that the tv box has to be connected to the wall connection via cable and the tv via hdmi.. they are simply too far apart and I wont get away with a cable trailing across the floor.

Ye can pay 50e for a technician to come out and wire it up for you. Granted, all they will do is run a wire from the point on the wall to the tv along the skirting board but it'll look quite nice.

They will split the cable at the point and you'll plug your internet in beside the point (if there's a plug available).

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote:
    Ye can pay 50e for a technician to come out and wire it up for you. Granted, all they will do is run a wire from the point on the wall to the tv along the skirting board but it'll look quite nice.

Unfortunately said skirting board is interrupted by the fireplace!

Both ways? They'll figure it out or move the point to somewhere more suitable. Either way, it'll only cost ye 50e.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Both ways? They'll figure it out or move the point to somewhere more suitable. Either way, it'll only cost ye 50e.
    Im guessing the door is on the other side of the run. OP, is the wall that currently has the supply outlet on an external wall? House or apartment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can run it over the fire place and keep it tidy. I boxed mine in using rectangular trucking and painted it to match the wall colour.

dodzy wrote:
    Im guessing the door is on the other side of the run. OP, is the wall that currently has the supply outlet on an external wall? House or apartment?

External wall of house. Yes fireplace on one side with a door on the other

You can just run it around the architrave.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote:
    You can just run it around the architrave.

Probably but its just not as neat.

On the one side is the fireplace and on the other is a window followed by a door followed by double doors!

I got the below from virgin chat:

"I'm sorry but you will need the Horizon box for your TV service so this must be plugged into a Virgin Media outlet point. A technician can relocate the outlet point for you but there will be a once-off fee of €50 for the technician and a once-off fee of €60 for the installation"

In terms of relocating the outlet point I wonder what is involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’re better off ripping out the old outlet. As far as I know it’s only €50 then.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Probably but its just not as neat.

On the one side is the fireplace and on the other is a window followed by a door followed by double doors!

I got the below from virgin chat:

"I'm sorry but you will need the Horizon box for your TV service so this must be plugged into a Virgin Media outlet point. A technician can relocate the outlet point for you but there will be a once-off fee of €50 for the technician and a once-off fee of €60 for the installation"

In terms of relocating the outlet point I wonder what is involved

I would imagine that their technicians will do it the quick and cheap way - running cables along your wall from the old to the new location.

They won’t be burying the cable anyway, it’ll be tacked on to skirting/architraves. They will run the cable from outside through the external wall at a different locationif it’s possible though.

The key is getting rid of the old outlet. Otherwise it’s a relocation fee too.

awec wrote:
    I would imagine that their technicians will do it the quick and cheap way - running cables along your wall from the old to the new location.

Thats what I suspect.

Sorry for hijacking this thread! Probably belongs elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Does anyone have any idea when they might roll out new improved box at all? Like would it be months or years time?! Great offer they have but dont think Id have the patience with the crap box by the sounds of ppls experience....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

snowgal wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when they might roll out new improved box at all? Like would it be months or years time?! Great offer they have but dont think Id have the patience with the crap box by the sounds of ppls experience....

They announced back in March 2018 that it was coming soon.

Yeah it's trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

The new box has been pushed back to Spring 2020.

The current box is a bit slow but it's not nearly as bad as is made out to be here. It's generally grand and shouldn't be a dealbreaker if thinking of using Virgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I only got it for Sky Sports but while the international break was on I used the box a bit. Its thrash, its worse than a cheap android box you would buy off Ebay. Its all down to the software, the box is made by samsung cant blame the hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Baxtardo wrote: »

The current box is a bit slow but it's not nearly as bad as is made out to be here. It's generally grand and shouldn't be a dealbreaker if thinking of using Virgin.

Wrong. I’ve the box and it’s not fit for use. The delay between pressing a button on the remote and the box responding is huge. It’s complete rubbish.

So, you just need to run a cable externally from the supply box (normally at side of house) externally, tacked nearly, and then drill into the room at the TVs current location. Simples. If you were near D15, I’d do it. Alternatively, pay them 59€ and stipulate external run. They won’t have an issue.

I've had absolutely NOTHING but issues with Virgin Media since I've signed up. They've sent me the wrong box once, then the second box they sent wasn't setup for use, then they charged me 130 instead of the 65, then they "fixed" that only to charge me 96. They also moved my direct debit up 5 days so it is before the day I get paid, fantastic with direct debit setup by default.. I've spent hours trying to resolve this. Infuriating knowing that they wait until after the cooling off period to start showing their mistakes. I already know I'll be cancelling after my 12 month period ends.

Even for mid terrace house? They would need to tack it over the roof ;)

dodzy wrote:
    So, you just need to run a cable externally from the supply box (normally at side of house) externally, tacked nearly, and then drill into the room at the TVs current location. Simples. If you were near D15, I’d do it. Alternatively, pay them 59€ and stipulate external run. They won’t have an issue.

Even for a mid terrace house? They would need to tack it over my roof ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Baxtardo wrote: »

It's absolutely useless.

We got sky about 3 weeks ago and the difference is day and night. The horizon box is pure dung.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Horizon box is so bad that if Virgin didn't offer the fastest internet and have a monopoly on certain developments they'd have gone out of business years ago.

People tolerate their TV service as they can bundle it with their internet, or because they can't get Sky.

I would genuinely rate the box as a solid 0/10. It is the worst piece of kit I have ever used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Was in my Mothers house this week and she has that Horizon Box she is 70 and said its horrible to use.

I had a look at it for her and her main complaint was when she changed channels it was lagging behind - I had a look myself and she was not lying its horrible to use!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

People should just ask for the multi room Cisco box rather than the horizon. Works fine, rarely a problem with it.

califano wrote: »
    People should just ask for the multi room Cisco box rather than the horizon. Works fine, rarely a problem with it.

You often can’t get the same deals if you don’t have the box though, certainly you don’t get standard HD like you would with Horizon and I would say that €55 deal is dependant on having that box. That’s just how they build their packages.
    I swapped the boxes in my house when I had UPC. Put the Horizon in the second room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

HD is why I got the Horizon in the first place. best deal for HD at the time.

Since then though HD is almost standard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

the wifi signal off their router isn't great. A couple of rooms away in a normal apartment and there is a significant drop in speed and reliability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Are people getting HD. Support saying it was only SD. But I recall the boards link mentioning HD. The whole experience has been very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

sikes wrote: »
    Are people getting HD. Support saying it was only SD. But I recall the boards link mentioning HD. The whole experience has been very poor.

You have to say you want HD when ordering. ring up and ask them to change it to HD, same price for 12 months but it increases after.
    You can try PM the reps on this forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Was in the sisters house last night who thought she couldn't get Sky because of building regs (she was obv wrong lol) and just got Virgin installed. It is a horrible sluggish interface and lags like crazy. I tried the on demand service to catch up on stuff from RTE and it kept breaking up and getting green distort on it. Horrible horrible service. They had Sky in their old house and keep saying how much they'd prefer to be back with Sky now. It completely put me switching from Sky to Virgin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

I had my tv and broadband with Vodafone but switched cos of deal. Find tv service awful as well. Box is rubbish. I would be better off with free to air service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have the VM media box which is actually much worse than the horizon box. I never use it.
    I've got saorview, Freesat and ipTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CFC007

New equipment delivered on Thursday. Very good service as had only ordered on Wednesday. Set top box immediately started making aload whining noise. Replacement box ordered. I’ve been with VM the best part of 10 years and have never need a replacement box. Have they changed hardware supplier in the last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

CFC007 wrote: »
    New equipment delivered on Thursday. Very good service as had only ordered on Wednesday. Set top box immediately started making aload whining noise. Replacement box ordered. I’ve been with VM the best part of 10 years and have never need a replacement box. Have they changed hardware supplier in the last year?

Are they refurbishing boxes and sending them back out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

bromley52 wrote: »

Yes. I had to get my Horizon box replaced a few months ago as the fan was failing and it was overheating. Engineer showed up and tried to replace it with a banger second hand looking yoke. Told him I wouldn’t take it and they had to get a new box couriered out - I was shocked he didn’t have any new ones with him!

Anyway the new Horizon box is still as rubbish as the previous one performance wise but luckily I don’t have to worry too much about the WiFi issues as I just use an Ethernet connection and it’s grand.

Yes. I had to get my Horizon box replaced a few months ago as the fan was failing and it was overheating. Engineer showed up and tried to replace it with a banger second hand looking yoke. Told him I wouldn’t take it and they had to get a new box couriered out - I was shocked he didn’t have any new ones with him!

Anyway the new Horizon box is still as rubbish as the previous one performance wise but luckily I don’t have to worry too much about the WiFi issues as I just use an Ethernet connection and it’s grand.

I’m going to sign up for this deal and give it a few days and use the 14 day cooling off period if it’s rubbish. The thoughts of dealing with the incorrect bills in the aftermath already fills me with dread. Let’s hope I’m part of the 10% that it works well for.

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »

Yes, this has always been the case.

going to parcel motel to collect those now Hopefully its not a pos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Got the deal. Yes the box is brutal and the Menus for the channels is "not intuitive" to say the least but it's a good deal. I was paying more for Broadband alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Colking wrote: »
    Got the deal. Yes the box is brutal and the Menus for the channels is "not intuitive" to say the least but it's a good deal. I was paying more for Broadband alone.

As a matter of interest, did you get an upgrade? How did you go about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Any idea how this offer will be around for?

Moving house in November and would like to avail of it..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement