Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - TV, 250MB broadband, phone + Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for €55 a mont

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Awesome, and as advertised, only 43m 49seconds of downtime per month!!

( https://uptime.is/99.9 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

asharkman wrote: »
    I'm with virgin, out of contract. has any current customers successfully got the deal?

I couldn't get a deal on everything. I could only get a deal on internet only so I dropped the TV. I had considering going to the 30 day contract. I wish I had, as I expect they will have new offers at the end of the year but for new customers only. If I had gone 30 days I could have dropped it for a few months then come pack as a new customer. Locked myself into 12mths with internet only.

I would have switched to someone else only the best option was a 18mth contract and I have zero interest in being locked in for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Whats the easiest Way of canceling with virgin.is there a free phone number

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

Web chat probably the easiest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Villan11 wrote: »
    Web chat probably the easiest

and you have a record of it if after 30 days they can't find the cancel order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Seems like it is the HD version of Sky Sports included in this deal, confirmed in TalktoVM thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/110912551

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Anyone know if I cancel my account with VM (I'm out of contract) and I get the wife to sign up can I do both at the same time? As in so they overlap or will I need to wait for my account to be canceled and deactivated before I can have the missus sign up? I work from home so can't be without broadband for too long. I have a 4g router as a backup but the speed is pants so would drive me mad if it was more than a few days.

Also, I have the Cisco 3925 router that I'd like to keep as it's rock solid. Ideally I'd like to keep this instead of whatever their new router is. Wonder if that'd be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,290 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

unklerosco wrote: »
    Anyone know if I cancel my account with VM (I'm out of contract) and I get the wife to sign up can I do both at the same time? As in so they overlap or will I need to wait for my account to be canceled and deactivated before I can have the missus sign up? I work from home so can't be without broadband for too long. I have a 4g router as a backup but the speed is pants so would drive me mad if it was more than a few days.

Also, I have the Cisco 3925 router that I'd like to keep as it's rock solid. Ideally I'd like to keep this instead of whatever their new router is. Wonder if that'd be possible.

Do it separately with different names. Handy excuse is you're moving out, and the new person is moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,290 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dave oc wrote: »
    Seems like it is the HD version of Sky Sports included in this deal, confirmed in TalktoVM thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/110912551

I rang to double check, confirmed as same on phone (the sports or movies is in HD when you sign up)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

beauf wrote: »
    I couldn't get a deal on everything. I could only get a deal on internet only so I dropped the TV. I had considering going to the 30 day contract. I wish I had, as I expect they will have new offers at the end of the year but for new customers only. If I had gone 30 days I could have dropped it for a few months then come pack as a new customer. Locked myself into 12mths with internet only.

I would have switched to someone else only the best option was a 18mth contract and I have zero interest in being locked in for that long.

What deal did you get on internet only do you mind me asking ? Price / contract length / speed - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

unklerosco wrote: »

This is what i did the other day. No hassle. Also advised me to recycle any equipment i had so don't think they'll be bothered about the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

bluefinger wrote: »
    This is what i did the other day. No hassle. Also advised me to recycle any equipment i had so don't think they'll be bothered about the router.

Interesting, they said to recycle the router then sent us details about returning it via parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

bluefinger wrote: »
    Fyi I did this yesterday so this is not true anymore. They even have a procedure in place to streamline these types of transactions.

Out of interest did you have to return all existing equipment when you did this or were you able to keep existing. Don't want to repair all IoT devices etc. with new wifi, but will if I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

If I ended my contract and signed up in my wifes name would i be able to get this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭bren2001

Out of interest did you have to return all existing equipment when you did this or were you able to keep existing. Don't want to repair all IoT devices etc. with new wifi, but will if I have to.

Can you not just change the SSID of the network and password to match that of the previous router? Devices will just automatically connect then?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

If I ended my contract and signed up in my wifes name would i be able to get this ?

I'm thinking the same. Pay the cancellation fee of €150 but still save a few hundred over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Yes that’s possible. Just tell them that you’re cancelling the contract but you have someone to take on a new contract. The contract was never in her name so she will be 100% new customer.

They send the new equipment within a day and you’ll have time to set up and return old equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

This sounds like a great deal. Im with sky for years and Im paying €56 for sky plus HD alone! time to make a call!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Yes that’s possible. Just tell them that you’re cancelling the contract but you have someone to take on a new contract. The contract was never in her name so she will be 100% new customer.

They send the new equipment within a day and you’ll have time to set up and return old equipment.

Sorry guys should have said I'm out of contract :-)
    So was going to cancel in my name and sign up in hers - would I need to wait 3 months ?

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

snowgal wrote: »
    This sounds like a great deal. Im with sky for years and Im paying €56 for sky plus HD alone! time to make a call!

You pay more for Sky, but Virgin's TV offering is absolute junk. I am a former Virgin TV customer, never again will I sign up for their TV service, it's just a second rate product. If they offered the full package to me for a fiver a month I'd still refuse.

Recordings don't work, TV guide doesn't work, you've to reset the box on a regular basis, changing channels takes an age. It's just problem after problem, with hardware that's not fit for purpose.

Moved to Sky for TV instead, it's light years ahead. Night and day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Sorry guys should have said I'm out of contract :-)
    So was going to cancel in my name and sign up in hers - would I need to wait 3 months ?

No, need to wait. Just tell them you’re cancelling as you’re moving to Sky or moving home but your wife is interesting to join. They will then want to speak with her and go through the offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I was told my old equipment wouldn't work, (can't see why as i recycled a router from them before to extend range), so i just swapped out new hub for old one. I've only a few smart plugs myself so not to much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

bren2001 wrote: »
    Can you not just change the SSID of the network and password to match that of the previous router? Devices will just automatically connect then?
    Yes, you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Sono

awec wrote: »
    You pay more for Sky, but Virgin's TV offering is absolute junk. I am a former Virgin TV customer, never again will I sign up for their TV service, it's just a second rate product. If they offered the full package to me for a fiver a month I'd still refuse.

Recordings don't work, TV guide doesn't work, you've to reset the box on a regular basis, changing channels takes an age. It's just problem after problem, with hardware that's not fit for purpose.

Absolutely agree with this, I could never go back to Virgin for their tv, it’s actually laughable that they offer such a poor box and remote but people get sucked in cos of the bundle of their phone and broadband.

I use them for BB only and sky for my tv, best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Best of both worlds but you'll pay extra fort it. I don't really watch much live TV apart from sport so good broadband is more important to me and virgin have better broadband then sky.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

awec wrote: »

Havent been with them since the UPC days but these boxes sound truly awful compared to Sky. Programs not recording would be absolutely infuriating for me.

Either way reckon Im gonna dump Sky at contract end and go FTA with a box that can record and series link. I dont watch enough tv to justify the bill. No doubt Sky will try to tempt me to stay (and its worked before) but this time Im cutting loose for sure. A years basic Sky is €384 so its a no brainer for me to just get a FTA set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Plenty of enigma2 receivers that could have sat and cable tuners or triple tuners 2 x sat and 1 cable/terrestrial and can have nice big hdd and if no room for internal hdd a powered externally desktop or cheaper option a 2 tb in a caddy enclosure also powered externally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Sono

Best of both worlds but you'll pay extra fort it. I don't really watch much live TV apart from sport so good broadband is more important to me and virgin have better broadband then sky.

You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Or grab an old PC, add sat and terrestrial cards, about €100.
    Use free NEXTPVR, Webgrab+ software and you have full DVR with up to 14 days EPG.

Easy access via internet to IPTV, Netflix, Prime, Torrents etc.

Bit of work to setup but you end with total control of your own system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

greasepalm wrote: »
    Plenty of enigma2 receivers that could have sat and cable tuners or triple tuners 2 x sat and 1 cable/terrestrial and can have nice big hdd and if no room for internal hdd a powered externally desktop or cheaper option a 2 tb in a caddy enclosure also powered externally.

yeah gonna go down that route. Should be able to get a good box and aeriel installation for about 250 which is about the same paying for 8 months of Sky basic package. Im watching mainly Netflix with just the Irish channels for news & sport so its not worth my while paying Sky anymore. But if I could get this current VM deal with BB and Sky Sports Id be seriously tempted to grab it, 55 is a great price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement