Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - TV, 250MB broadband, phone + Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for €55 a mont

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

greasepalm wrote: »
    What happens when you keep ringing them up with a faulty tv box,not as described?

They'll send you out a new one. Which won't work... and they'll send you another one. Which won't work.

We're on our 3rd box and it's fcuked. Sky coming next week to put it a proper tv service.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

I've had the box since January and have had no issues at all with it. It isnt a first rate user experience by any stretch with slow responses and laggy menus but more than good enough for me and once you are on the channel you want, it's fine.

Great deal with the sports included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Baxtardo wrote: »
    Am on to Virgin chat and they are only offering SD Sky Sports - a bit confusing if other people are confirming they are receiving HD SS with the deal?

I had this issue - this may help

They resolved it promptly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Out of contract on bb so got my wife to cancel yesterday, signed back up today myself. I await to see does that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Does anybody use online armour?, just found out I’ve been paying €4per month for it for the last 12 months and have never used it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

rob316 wrote: »
    Out of contract on bb so got my wife to cancel yesterday, signed back up today myself. I await to see does that work.

Did it work? Have cancelled today myself, so will get my wife to sign up tomorrow if it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

mfceiling wrote: »
    Do not touch the horizon box with a barge pole. I'm getting sky tomorrow as I'm sick to the teeth with that horizon junk. We are on our 3rd box now each with the same faults. Came home from hols at the weekend and turned it back on....Now there is no program information, the pause rewind etc doesn't work and it won't record. It seriously is useless.

You're dead right. The box is shocking. We only got it there a while back. It keeps freezing and then it can take up to ten minutes to start again when you reboot it.

Did it work? Have cancelled today myself, so will get my wife to sign up tomorrow if it has.

The order is gone through and something is been delivered tomorrow by Nightline, don't know what happens then. Installer come to the house or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭bren2001

The order is gone through and something is been delivered tomorrow by Nightline, don't know what happens then. Installer come to the house or what?

Unless you requested an installer, nobody will come. You plug it in yourself and it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dmcguq10

I am a standalone BB customer think my contract ends in November.

Think I'd be eligible for this offer as I'm upgrading?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

dmcguq10 wrote: »
    I am a standalone BB customer think my contract ends in November.

Think I'd be eligible for this offer as I'm upgrading?

New customer only

bren2001 wrote: »
    Unless you requested an installer, nobody will come. You plug it in yourself and it should work.

But I'm supposed to be a new customer, I find that strange. What if you never had any cabling?

Just got the box there anyway.

But I'm supposed to be a new customer, I find that strange. What if you never had any cabling?

Self install is pretty standard nowadays. If you didn't have cabling, then you'd call them up and they will put cabling in. If you signed up over the phone/in person they should have asked all these questions.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Self install is pretty standard nowadays. If you didn't have cabling, then you'd call them up and they will put cabling in. If you signed up over the phone/in person they should have asked all these questions.

Wife cancelled our bb out of contract and just signed up online the next day under my name. I got away with so ya?

Wife cancelled our bb out of contract and just signed up online the next day under my name. I got away with so ya?

Looks like it all right. No reason why you wouldn't unless you used the same bank details or something (even then, I doubt they check that stuff in too much detail).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I'm out of contract and canceled my BB account with them a few days ago, I believe it ends on the 16 Sept.

If I sign up under my wifes name now how does that work? Will they end my account early once hers is ready to go? or I do I need to wait till the 16th to sign up again? I need to get an engineer out as we need to run cable to the living room for the STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

unklerosco wrote: »
    I'm out of contract and canceled my BB account with them a few days ago, I believe it ends on the 16 Sept.

If I sign up under my wifes name now how does that work? Will they end my account early once hers is ready to go? or I do I need to wait till the 16th to sign up again? I need to get an engineer out as we need to run cable to the living room for the STB.

U can sign up anytime. Your original account still has to be paid until the 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

So just installed the broadband and tv into the home.

Broadband is amazing as usual. TV box weighs a ton and it complete garbage

Any tips on how to save and favorite certain channels? It takes so long to get to some of those channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

flexcon wrote: »
    So just installed the broadband and tv into the home.

Broadband is amazing as usual. TV box weighs a ton and it complete garbage

Any tips on how to save and favorite certain channels? It takes so long to get to some of those channels.

I'm tired of saying it but that horizon box is junk. Completely hopeless. It will break your heart and all you will get from the reps here is...Factory reset or pm your details. Neither will fix it. It is a truly useless piece of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm tired of saying it but that horizon box is junk. Completely hopeless. It will break your heart and all you will get from the reps here is...Factory reset or pm your details. Neither will fix it. It is a truly useless piece of rubbish.

There is no doubt about this. The (bad) workaround is to know the numbers of the channels you watch and use a TV guide.

The EPG is laughably bad.

All that said, I availed of the deal. I know where Sky Sports and my favourite channels are and I use an app on my phone to see what's on now.

It is still a bargain despite how atrocious the Horizon box is.

• Advertisement

ballyargus wrote: »
    There is no doubt about this. The (bad) workaround is to know the numbers of the channels you watch and use a TV guide.

All that said, I availed of the deal. I know where Sky Sports and my favourite channels are and I use an app on my phone to see what's on now.

Ya same, all I'll be using it for is watching sky sports, I don't watch anything else. I have an IPTV service so this should still be an upgrade on it. Plus I was paying €59 for broadband so if I never even turn it on I'm still paying marginally less than I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

ballyargus wrote: »

Sticking with Sky for tv and virgin for broadband. Paying a premium but cant stand the mere sight of that Horizon lump of cr@p.

Why Virgin are taking so long in Ireland to roll out the V6 box (available in UK and meant to be a great improvement) I dont know.

They could make a killing if they offered the v6 in a bundle- masses would move from Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭ted1

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Sticking with Sky for tv and virgin for broadband. Paying a premium but cant stand the mere sight of that Horizon lump of cr@p.

Why Virgin are taking so long in Ireland to roll out the V6 box (available in UK and meant to be a great improvement) I dont know.

They could make a killing if they offered the v6 in a bundle- masses would move from Sky.

The UK is a different company. The V6 box in Ireland will be different than the UK. It’s TiVo box there it will be a different make here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Inviere

ted1 wrote: »
    it will be a different make here

Different model number etc too. I'm expecting more cut-price hardware, which struggles to do what the software asks of it (hence the kettle-boiling time/delay/lag between various functions of the current box). VM in Ireland, right the way back to the NTL days, has consistently cheaped out of hardware, and combined it with god-awful un-optimised software, leading to the correct conclusion that Sky is just far, far superior for tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s nothing wrong with the Horizon box hardware as such. It’s the software and network that are the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Inviere

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There’s nothing wrong with the Horizon box hardware as such. It’s the software and network that are the issue.

Is it not more a combination of underpowered hardware being asked to compensate for ****ty unoptimised software, leading to a horrendous UX?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Inviere wrote: »
    Is it not more a combination of underpowered hardware being asked to compensate for ****ty unoptimised software, leading to a horrendous UX?

Well honestly the Linux OS and hardware should be fine. That isn't exactly a piece of the crap chip inside. it should be more than enough for the EPG

Apps - maybe not.

My flatmate is a software developer and says the sure sign its software is no matter where you go on the box, or what you open - EPG or Apps, etc - it still lags behind equally. It isn't as if the Apps take ages to load, it all does equally.

I agree though that for €55 with Sky sports it's a good deal and I am happy to pay. Out comes the pen and paper and write down the channel numbers!

the box is made by Samsung I can't imagine the hardware isn't good enough, its the software that is a POS. It's not like Eircom sourcing modems from unknown suppliers in the far east.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Did your next Horizon box work? Mine doesn't seem to be able to get past the installation phase. I am still receiving the signal on the old horizon box. WIFI up and running.

• Advertisement

Did your next Horizon box work? Mine doesn't seem to be able to get past the installation phase. I am still receiving the signal on the old horizon box. WIFI up and running.

Still in the box mate I'll have a go off it at the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement