Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - TV, 250MB broadband, phone + Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for €55 a mont

Options
  • 05-08-2019 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Get superfast 250 Mb broadband, home phone and TV including Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for an incredible €55 a month for 12 months.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/bundles/broadband-tv-phone/

The inclusion of Sky Sports (usually €40 a month) makes this an absolute cracking deal from Virgin. You will also get Virgin Media Sports, meaning you will get all the Champions League.

If you are not into sports, you can choose Sky Cinema instead of Sky Sports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Only the SD version of Sky Sports or Cinema is available in this deal. You have to pay full price for the HD version of Sky Sports or Cinema. For me, that would not be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Having to pay extra for HD in 2019 is a bit ridiculous alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

If you're going to sign up, use virginmedia.ie/boardsoffer for €50 one4all voucher. There is no option for the €1 sky sports but they say you can add it once everything is set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

New customers only..... Very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

Does this include BT sports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

can this be cancelled after 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Baxtardo wrote: »
    Does this include BT sports?

Doubt it, no
    ballyargus wrote: »
    can this be cancelled after 12 months?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

If you're going to sign up, use virginmedia.ie/boardsoffer for €50 one4all voucher. There is no option for the €1 sky sports but they say you can add it once everything is set up.

Where do you see that and how is it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Villan11 wrote: »
    New customers only..... Very disappointing

Ring them up, tell them you're an existing customer but thinking of moving to Sky. They'll give you the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Balls, negotiated a deal with them as my contract was up last month. Gutted to miss this!!! Its a good deal for Virgin Media but bear in mind their television interface is absolutely shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Hogzy wrote: »
    Balls, negotiated a deal with them as my contract was up last month. Gutted to miss this!!! Its a good deal for Virgin Media but bear in mind their television interface is absolutely shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 day cooling off period on all contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.

You will be given virgin's all singing, all dancing Horizon box.

This thing is a piece of junk. Read the feedback on boards, twitter and fakebook. It is a horrendous yoke. Missed recordings, random switching on and off, poor wifi coverage, glitchy menus, lags when pressing the up or down channels.
    We are on our 3rd replacement box and can't get out of the contract quick enough. I will happily pay 20 or 30 quid extra a month for a reliable tv service.
    Horizon box is rubbish....AVOID.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

I'd go with it just for the craic of using the Horizon box, it's incredibly how bad the user experience is.

Example. I tried to watch Wimbledon, broadcast across BBC 1 and 2 and one that I used to just flick the channel up and down on my old setup(s) of Sky and other sources, ahem.

Virgin Media
    BBC One HD - Channel 107
    BBC Two SD - Channel 108
    BBC Two HD - Channel 135
    BBC One SD - Channel who the F knows, in fact I don't think there is one. But we do have the option of BBC Two SD, for those of us who prefer that. It's easily accessible right beside BBC One HD.

Then the TV guide. F'ck me, the TV guide. I can speak better Mandarin than I can find what's on the telly. In fact I can get to Asia quicker than I can get the TV guide to go to the next page.

We've only had the package for 6 months now so we haven't quite grasped the 'how to' of recording etc, so can't comment on how bad that is.

I must admit it's a fantastic package if you have kids. Our daughter loves it. She knows that whenever the Horizon box is turned on, it's gonna be on the kids channels. Because we haven't got the foggiest how to get out of them, and if we do how the F do we get back.

But the remote has a keyboard on the back, so when you really want to experience input lag you can type a word into search, go get yourself a cup of tea, and by the time the children's allowance comes in on the first Tuesday of the month your search will appear on screen and you can simply tap enter and watch your content. In SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Agree that the horizon box is a heap of junk.
    If VM get the new box I'd go back with them but until then I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Horizon box = the horror box

When I had one I set all the HD channels to Favorites.
    (hit any number by accident and it exits the favorites, which one of a long list of really annoying features)

This isn't a list of problems, but some key features which might be an issue.

Nice touch that is has parental controls (ages restrictions) but only on some channels.
    But none on the apps like YouTube. Which you can't block or disable.
    So if I kick the kids off the wifi, or something is blocked they hop on the horizon box to bypass my parental settings on the router.
    So it doesn't really have parental controls.

Its a nice touch how they made the netflix app about 100 times slower on cable via the horizon box.
    Than on Wifi going through the same Horizon box. That shouldn't even be technically possible.
    Basically something like a NowTV box for €20 is far superior for Netflix.

Don't damage or lose the horizon remote. They charge for them. you get them cheaper from adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

mfceiling wrote: »

This thing is a piece of junk. Read the feedback on boards, twitter and fakebook. It is a horrendous yoke. Missed recordings, random switching on and off, poor wifi coverage, glitchy menus, lags when pressing the up or down channels.
    We are on our 3rd replacement box and can't get out of the contract quick enough. I will happily pay 20 or 30 quid extra a month for a reliable tv service.

Sky Q - TV (cannot be touched in terms of speed and slick UI - and light years ahead of VM horizon)
    VM media hub - BB (best by far)

The ideal setup, money aside.

Have the horizon box from the outset as part of the pilot evaluation. They listened to FA feedback that was supplied by hundreds of users. Sluggish as hell. Terrible UI. Undependable recordings. Terrible for a flagship device of such a large entity in the entertainments sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I ****ing hate the fact that im a loyal always pay on time customer for donkeys years and im paying more than this new customer offer.loyal customers are always being screwed.and they jack up the price every year to screw you even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

mfceiling wrote: »

Exactly what he said, the Virgin Horizon box is old, clunky and takes forever to boot. It's not fit for purpose and we were told for 2 years now a replacement was on the way, and still no ETA on a more modern piece of equipment. AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Haven't had TV service in years, this offer was tempting me back even with the absolute bucket of sh that is the horizon box- but they won't give it to me as an existing customer. Oh well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

jamesozzie wrote: »
    Exactly what he said, the Virgin Horizon box is old, clunky and takes forever to boot. It's not fit for purpose and we were told for 2 years now a replacement was on the way, and still no ETA on a more modern piece of equipment. AVOID

It's always been an issue with Virgin Media, way back into the NTL days. The hardware used for boxes here in the RoI is substandard, underspecced, and built to a very minimal budget. The result is an awful awful user experience, beyond slow/unresponsive software, scheduled recordings failed, dreadful Wifi, and so on.

There's a 2019 promise of the much better box they have in the UK coming here, but guess what....
    It will do everything that the UK box currently does although it will be a different model.

A different model box, is in context, corporate speak for the same software being used in the UK, but different, more likely lower powered (and therefore cheaper) hardware. Prepare for more of the same laggy, slow, awful POS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dodzy wrote: »
    Sky Q - TV (cannot be touched in terms of speed and slick UI - and light years ahead of VM horizon)
    r.

Sky Q could improve its UI.
    To easy to series link = every kids program they watch us series linked.
    If you series link it’ll record every showing so you may have two or more recordings of the same show. And you must scroll down to watch the newer one. So if you are an episode 20 you may have to push down 39 times.
    The back to last channel button doesn’t work properly. The delete all recordings of one show is a hassle to get to.
    The guide starts at 101. And not the channel you are on. So if you are channel surfing and stop at channel 200 you go back to channel 101.

I could go on. Bottom line is for 55 including sky cinema I’ll switch back. And save about 600 euro a year

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

ted1 wrote:
    I could go on. Bottom line is for 55 including sky cinema I’ll switch back. And save about 600 euro a year

It's the SD version of Sky Cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

ted1 wrote: »
    If you series link it’ll record every showing so you may have two or more recordings of the same show. And you must scroll down to watch the newer one. So if you are an episode 20 you may have to push down 39 times.
    The back to last channel button doesn’t work properly. The delete all recordings of one show is a hassle to get to.
    The guide starts at 101. And not the channel you are on. So if you are channel surfing and stop at channel 200 you go back to channel 101.

Jesus Ted, if you’ve issues with Sky Q, god help you when you switch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭SteM

The wifi signal from that horizon box was shocking, had to dump their TV service a few years ago. Using an enigma FTA box with saorview and iptv. That along with Netflix does me fine, couldn't handle that horizon box again.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

It's the SD version of Sky Cinema.

I'm fairly sure Sky don't broadcast Sky Cinema in SD anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭ted1

SteM wrote: »
    The wifi signal from that horizon box was shocking, had to dump their TV service a few years ago. Using an enigma FTA box with saorview and iptv. That along with Netflix does me fine, couldn't handle that horizon box again.

When I was with them
    They sent me out a separate hub as the horizon WiFi is crap.

I rang sky today and they offered me a 16 euro discount to keep them.

Think I’ll just go with Virgin ( not much difference between broadband v broadband/TV/PHONE . Sure all we really watch is Netflix and was thinking of cancelling tv services anyway. Most channels are FTA anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Can anyone comment on how good/bad the SD sports channels look? Are they watchable or very blurry? For the price I might be able to live with a little less quality (maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

ted1 wrote: »

If you rely on programmes recording then avoid the Horizon box. I missed an episode of Peaky Blinders that was on series record. I've missed numerous other shows that are on series link. Serious pain in the arse when you go to sit down to something and find out it hasn't been recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

beauf wrote: »
    Horizon box = the horror box

When I had one I set all the HD channels to Favorites.
    (hit any number by accident and it exits the favorites, which one of a long list of really annoying features)

This isn't a list of problems, but some key features which might be an issue.

Nice touch that is has parental controls (ages restrictions) but only on some channels.
    But none on the apps like YouTube. Which you can't block or disable.
    So if I kick the kids off the wifi, or something is blocked they hop on the horizon box to bypass my parental settings on the router.
    So it doesn't really have parental controls.

Its a nice touch how they made the netflix app about 100 times slower on cable via the horizon box.
    Than on Wifi going through the same Horizon box. That shouldn't even be technically possible.
    Basically something like a NowTV box for €20 is far superior for Netflix.

Don't damage or lose the horizon remote. They charge for them. you get them cheaper from adverts.

If you think the Horizon box is bad then just wait and see what they give you if you go with multi-room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

Virgin are coming to the end of the testing phase to launch the V6 box here. They are hoping for a Q4 launch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement