Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

When the last instance of the virus disappears from this island, the moment we open the air/sea border, we will get the virus back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

voluntary wrote: »
    When the last instance of the virus disappears from this island, the moment we open the air/sea border, we will get the virus back.

Not if enough of us have gotten the virus and recovered so we have immunity. Also our borders are not closed. You can probably still fly somewhere if you really needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UK suggesting the restrictions will be in place for 6 months
    They have made just a bit of a mess of it all and not sure how useful it is to declare that. Personally prefer the "next seven days or "only 14 days" approach to public information we have as they are psychologically easier to process and they give a sense that we are managing it in a far more measured way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

MadYaker wrote: »
    Amsterdam for a festival called Dekmantel.

Hmmm. I wouldn't be buying my sunscreen just yet.

Id be 95% sure any such festivals will not go ahead. And i'd be 100% sure that if they did, anyone who then chooses to travel to them is a selfish tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The way the Netherlands is looking, no you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

July? These restrictions will be relaxed in May and antibody testing will start in April. People will have to go back to work much sooner than July or all the businesses that are closed now will be closed forever. That’s the last I heard from our government anyway. I’m going on holidays in July.

Italy are aiming for April 3rd as a start date for relaxing there restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is no need for businesses to close if they can show that they can operate withing social distancing. Lots of companies can do this. Every week of this shutdown reduces the money we have to spend on essential services in the future.

If the UK stays on lockdown for another 6 months their economy will be completely destroyed. It’ll take decades to recover. Will the Tory gov do that to save a few thousand pensioners? I seriously doubt it. 6 weeks from now all of Boris Johnson’s rich London mates will be putting big pressure on him to lift the shutters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

There'll be waves of the virus for a couple of years

A Lockdown ends and the hospital's fill again

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Are they? I thought it was the end of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

prevention only...its usually made on dead or inactive virus that kicks your immune system to 'learn' the virus profile...so when you do get it -- it can react

OK, so it would be wise to get this vaccine when it's available next year ...

Id be 95% sure any such festivals will not go ahead. And i'd be 100% sure that if they did, anyone who then chooses to travel to them is a selfish tool

Can you tell me next weeks lotto numbers so please?

It’s 3 months away. At the rate this virus is spreading almost all the people who are going to die in Europe will be dead by then.

is_that_so wrote: »

Yes it's been extended to at least late April, no way they are gonna relax things soon, it's only starting to slow down over there now ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.euromomo.eu/outputs/number.html

Still a long way to go for European death rate to be anything unusual for this winter

Not if they adapt the South Korea approach to testing ....

test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

July? These restrictions will be relaxed in May and antibody testing will start in April. People will have to go back to work much sooner than July or all the businesses that are closed now will be closed forever. That’s the last I heard from our government anyway. I’m going on holidays in July.

I would be highly doubtful that travel restrictions will be lifted by July depending on where you are going

Jayzee. wrote: »

You must not have heard of vaccines. You should google it.

I think you're assuming that nothing will be done in the meantime. There are a whole lot of teams working on possible mitigating treatments and vacccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This time next year there will be a vaccine. Stop scaremongering.

• Advertisement

That is a weeks time and will likely be reviewed. They are relaxing restrictions as they can’t leave their houses apart from food or medicine. Even at that people are starting to struggle

If the UK stays on lockdown for another 6 months their economy will be completely destroyed. It’ll take decades to recover. Will the Tory gov do that to save a few thousand pensioners? I seriously doubt it. 6 weeks from now all of Boris Johnson’s rich London mates will be putting big pressure on him to lift the shutters.

They never said they’ll be on lockdown, they said to return to ‘normal’ as we once knew it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Not if enough of us have gotten the virus and recovered so we have immunity.

It's likely not enough people in the country will get the virus so we won't have herd immunity.

Say 50,000 people get it, out of 5m people that's actually not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Nobody knows that for a fact. It could be 6 months, it could 18 months.

Stop spreading falsehoods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

UK suggesting the restrictions will be in place for 6 months

I would pay zero attention to anything the UK have done or said, they've made a complete balls out of this like the US.

I'd listen to South Korea.

Ireland are doing quite well in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Still a long way to go for European death rate to be anything unusual for this winter

But surely those other deaths are also occurring ?

Can you tell me next weeks lotto numbers so please?

It’s 3 months away. At the rate this virus is spreading almost all the people who are going to die in Europe will be dead by then.

Restrictions may be relaxed by then, however it would be madness to run events pulling large numbers of people from all over Europe to the one place any time in the next 6 months. Euro2020 is cancelled, Olympics are cancelled, but Music festivals ok?

I think people have begun to accept the mortality of this and it won't be large in comparison with flu' deaths. It's addressing the huge pressure it can put on health systems, which in turn could lead to more deaths, that is exercising people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Our air/sea border isn't closed.

• Advertisement

Yes it's been extended to at least late April, no way they are gonna relax things soon, it's only starting to slow down over there now ...
    They are hoping for peak this week I think. Didn't Simon say something similar for Spain?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

UK spokesperson on the news there at 10 expects the heavy lockdown to continue for 2-3 weeks.

Six months of the current situation is simply untenable.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Can you tell me an example of a working vaccine for a strain of Coronavirus? You seem to know a lot about this.
    We have to develop it, prove its safe, prove its effective and then think of a way to roll it out to 60% plus of the population. Easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

This is an unprecedented situation and everyone has a part to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I hate that word ‘cocooning’. Let’s call it what it is, it’s effectively the imprisonment of the most vulnerable and fragile people in society and for those who live alone, it’s solitary confinement. We may argue all we like that it’s for the greater good but we cannot ignore the damage that’s being done to the mental health of those who have to suffer it. Isn’t it ironic that in the penal systems of most countries, solitary confinement is not used any more because it is deemed to be too mentally destructive.
    One of the, (possibly unintended), consequences of the present policy is if it successful we will end up with a cohort of people who will not be allowed to see the light of day until the disease is completely eradicated, (or a vaccine developed), because they will have no immunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I’m going on holidays in July.

Yeah I highly doubt that.

I suggest you start looking for a refund.

Chances are high no one will be going on holiday this summer.

• Advertisement

The main lockdown is till the 3rd of April ,
    Lockdown may be extended with some restrictions lifted , looking like end of April for most of restrictions to be lifted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's likely not enough people in the country will get the virus so we won't have herd immunity.
    I heard one strategy being proposed where we let certain groups return to "normal" sooner than others. E.g. 20 year olds first, 30 year olds afterwards. While people in younger age groups can get bad outcomes, in general they do much better than older age groups. The effect would be to gradually build up immunity in groups which can better tolerate it.

Might be a rubbish strategy when you get into the details, but I can see where they are coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

They are told to self-isolate for 14 days. Why do you imagine people would choose to ignore that?

Human nature being what it is. 90% will self isolate. But you will get 10% who don't believe any of this coronavirus nonsense and aren't going to be told by anyone what to do.

As for the 90% they could infect family members who could then go on to infect someone else.

At this stage its probably best if we reduce flights from hotspot areas to the bare minimum and isolate people on those flights in hotels or other centres for 14 days. Its not ideal but at least it prevents them spreading something to the community.

It only takes a handful to spread this to a lot more. Coronavirus is just not something we can afford to take chances with, especially in the next few weeks.

Fernando Simon - looks like he has corona virus ... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

plodder wrote: »
    Did I just hear it right on RTE that we spent €200 million on PPE? That seems like an incredibly huge sum :confused:

They bought lots and lots and lots and lots of it. It wasn't €200 million for the plane that landed yesterday - there are two more planes on the way home right now (over Russia as I type) and a relay service will shuttle out to china for a few weeks more.

They wouldn't be buying it if it wasn't necessary - if we end up with a surplus (who knows when and how), there is a worldwide demand for it to be sold on if necessary.

It's the Scout's motto - Be prepared.

• Advertisement

Ger Roe wrote: »
    They bought lots and lots and lots and lots of it. It wasn't €200 million for the plane that landed yesterday - there are two more planes on the way home right now (over Russia as I type) and a relay service will shuttle out to china for a few weeks more.

They wouldn't be buying it if it wasn't necessary - if we end up with a surplus (who knows when and how), there is a worldwide demand for it to be sold on if necessary.

15 years worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I hate that word ‘cocooning’. Let’s call it what it is, it’s effectively the imprisonment of the most vulnerable and fragile people in society and for those who live alone, it’s solitary confinement. We may argue all we like that it’s for the greater good but we cannot ignore the damage that’s being done to the mental health of those who have to suffer it. Isn’t it ironic that in the penal systems of most countries, solitary confinement is not used any more because it is deemed to be too mentally destructive.
    One of the, (possibly unintended), consequences of the present policy is if it successful we will end up with a cohort of people who will not be allowed to see the light of day until the disease is completely eradicated, (or a vaccine developed), because they will have no immunity.

What's your alternative? It isn't being done for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Beanybabog wrote: »
    When do people expect the current restrictions to be eased? I know we’ve being eased in but if the government are expecting the peak 10-14th April it’s most likely going to be a further two weeks of this type of lock down, unless people don’t take it seriously in which it will be stricter. I assume a big part of the way the restrictions have been implemented is not only to control the virus but to manage the public freaking out / not complying.

On a purely selfish level I’m wondering how long before we can see my folks again- 4 weeks? 6 weeks?? More?!. (They’re not over 70 or vulnerable, I assume that segment of society will be restricted longer).

The honest answer is nobody really knows for sure. Italy look like they're adding another 2 weeks onto their lockdown which was due to end in the coming days.

Personally I think ours will be extended out to the end of april in it's current format, to be reviewed the week before its due to end. Then depending on case numbers etc you could see it extended or perhaps a slight relaxation back to what our measures were up to Friday maybe.

In terms of a full reopening, I'd be surprised if pubs, restaurants etc were open before the end of May. I'd say your looking at June possibly.

International travel is basically done for a good few months.

But really nobody can be sure what way it'll pan out timescale wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

hmmm wrote: »
    I heard one strategy being proposed where we let certain groups return to "normal" sooner than others. E.g. 20 year olds first, 30 year olds afterwards. While people in younger age groups can get bad outcomes, in general they do much better than older age groups. The effect would be to gradually build up immunity in groups which can better tolerate it.

Might be a rubbish strategy when you get into the details, but I can see where they are coming from.
    The risk seems to be in the difficulty in keeping it out of hospitals and nursing homes particularly. I just don't see how we could avoid that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Ger Roe wrote: »

Yes, apparently they bought 15 years worth. There will be 10 flights to bring it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Jin luk wrote: »
    Would you watch football?

Valencia played atalanta(italy) in the champions league in february, that stadium would have been a petri dish for infection mind you in that cup they play home and away so defintely didnt help the cause for them.

Yes, Atalanta vs Valencia was on the 19 February.
    As the first recorded death by Covid was in Valencia on the 13 February, one could assume that some Valencia fans had it when they flew to Bergamo for the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

15 years worth
    That's what I thought I heard too, but why would we buy that much? 15 months sounds like a much more reasonable time-frame. Presumably, the stuff has expiry dates apart from anything else. Unless 15 normal years equates to some far shorter period in the present situation.

joe_99 wrote: »
    Yes, apparently they bought 15 years worth. There will be 10 flights to bring it home.
    60 in total actually, between now and the end of May.

shocksy wrote: »
    Yeah I highly doubt that.

I suggest you start looking for a refund.

Chances are high no one will be going on holiday this summer.

Can I ask what information you have to be comfortable making a prediction like that. Nothing I’ve heard from any government says restrictions will last that long. In another 6 weeks when antibody testing becomes available and we can test who is immune people who know they can’t catch this virus aren’t going to accept being to told to stay at home any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The main lockdown is till the 3rd of April ,
    Lockdown may be extended with some restrictions lifted , looking like end of April for most of restrictions to be lifted

Looks like they're strict lockdown will be extended by another 2 weeks. Restrictions wont be lifted straight away either. It'll be gradual. Lift them and let normal life resume in 1 big go would be reckless

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement