Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 GUI Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

golfguy1 wrote: »
    I am sure supporters have been to most games any way. Not like u will get hundreds turning up

Yes that has been the case but regional finals are held at neutral venues, so clubs in question can enforce the rules, which is the case this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cahir won with birdie on the playoff hole today

• Registered Users Posts: 21,154 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

callaway92 wrote: »

Nip out at lunch for it did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Yep. Fair play to them. Went out and won it. Nothing wrong with losing to a birdie

Mushy wrote: »
    Nip out at lunch for it did they?

Haha it's so ridiculous. Went up at 18:30 today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

Will be interesting to see how the leinster branch deal with Dublin going level 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Dotzie wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how the leinster branch deal with Dublin going level 3.

Matches can still go ahead in the all Ireland events but not Barton cup or underage events. Matches in Dublin behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Jumping a head a bit, but figured this was relevant here as we played Donegal Golf Club in an open comp last week, hadn't played it in awhile but was looking very lush. Its a long course but wide fairways and some really great holes, length is definitely a benefit, I struggled.

Only complaint was the pins, they have big thick pins, much ticker than any link course I've played, there no taper at the hole at all, plus they have these silly ball retrievers that hang away from the pin so if a ball was going to drop in the back door, it won't with this thing. In our 4 ball, we had 3 putts that didn't drop but would have dropped on another course with different pins, I know it might seem minor but guarantee it will cause a controversy at the Cups and shields with some match being decided by a badly designed pin.

Opinions on still having All Ireland’s etc in Donegal for the Pierce Purcell? (And I think Bruen too?)

Next round of Purcell for our team is in Fermoy - Two potential matches and it’s the same for Bruen on the same day.

Should this stuff even be going ahead in all honesty?

Opinions on still having All Ireland’s etc in Donegal for the Pierce Purcell? (And I think Bruen too?)

Next round of Purcell for our team is in Fermoy - Two potential matches and it’s the same for Bruen on the same day.

Should this stuff even be going ahead in all honesty?

Why not?? Make it behind closed doors if necessary. Independent travel for each team member. Practically no risk. Only issue that could be a problem is potentially two fourball matches on the same day. Naturally foursomes is quicker than fourball so could be a test of a clubs panel rather than their top 5 pairings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Interesting to see what the GUI do with the national finals in Donegal, with the county on virtual lockdown till 16th October...

Interesting to see what the GUI do with the national finals in Donegal, with the county on virtual lockdown till 16th October...

First thing I thought of myself. Can't see it going ahead there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Just moved the weekends. Starting 17 October now.

Remind me wrote: »
    Just moved the weekends. Starting 17 October now.

??? As in its starting the 17th now instead of 15th?

Apologies saw their latest communication. Makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Douglas V Limerick in Senior Cup tomorrow morning in Killarney in what should be a cracker of a match

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Dbu wrote: »
    Douglas V Limerick in Senior Cup tomorrow morning in Killarney in what should be a cracker of a match

Would fancy Douglas to win Munster. Other semi final should be good aswell. Tralee will quietly fancy themselves with the local knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Connaught finals winners
    Junior cup Ballinasloe.
    Pierce purcell Gort.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

In Munster Castletroy beat Dungarvan in the Junior Cup final

In the Pierce Purcell Spanish Point vs Kenmare is 2-2. The final game is all square after 22 holes and they have to return tomorrow afternoon to finish the match

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

This was how dark it was on the 21st in that match.
    I believe they skipped the par 5 4th hole and went to the par 3 5th to try to finish the match but no luck

https://twitter.com/CorkGolfNews/status/1309929912782946311

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

paulos53 wrote: »
    In Munster Castletroy beat Dungarvan in the Junior Cup final

In the Pierce Purcell Spanish Point vs Kenmare is 2-2. The final game is all square after 22 holes and they have to return tomorrow afternoon to finish the match

The SP team that won the two matches by a big margin are a joke. Junior cup players more like it. They were 2 under for 14 holes in one of the games in the earlier rounds.

• Advertisement

Would fancy Douglas to win Munster. Other semi final should be good aswell. Tralee will quietly fancy themselves with the local knowledge

Anybody know the lineups for each of these teams?

Played Killeen in Wednesday and it was in brilliant condition. Tough but very fair course.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

Belvoir Park won the Ulster Senior Cup today, beat Slieve Russell 4-1 in Final which was played at Murvagh, where the All Ireland finals will also be played, they will have a decent chance, think all team members play off plus 2 or better

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

Deflating experience yesterday playing JB quarters.. Up against 2 young lads playing golf all summer... a 3.5 and a 4 handicapper... Me and my partner off 10 and 5... It was like being in a junior cup better ball and I wasn't invited.. The young guys hitting it 70 yards past me and 50 yards past my partner.. We done well to take them to 16...wasn't enjoyable and I think I will not play Bruen again in 4 ball format... funny thing is we would have had a chance if it had been 4somes.. They were a bit wild at times but never on the same holes... 2 lovely young lads and the best of luck to them....

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

NedBagg wrote: »
    Deflating experience yesterday playing JB quarters.. Up against 2 young lads playing golf all summer... a 3.5 and a 4 handicapper... Me and my partner off 10 and 5... It was like being in a junior cup better ball and I wasn't invited.. The young guys hitting it 70 yards past me and 50 yards past my partner.. We done well to take them to 16...wasn't enjoyable and I think I will not play Bruen again in 4 ball format... funny thing is we would have had a chance if it had been 4somes.. They were a bit wild at times but never on the same holes... 2 lovely young lads and the best of luck to them....

4ball definitely ruined it. A 7/8 handicapper had no chance of playing

Class final between Douglas and Faithlegg for senior cup. Old lads against young lads.

Be a nice final to watch if we could.

Don’t give up just because of one match. That can always happen. Young lads who are constantly golfing and on a very high upward progression.

I got enough hammerings in my younger days but it didn’t put me off. A 5 handicapper playing against scratch players in senior cup was a tough initiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Deflating experience yesterday playing JB quarters.. Up against 2 young lads playing golf all summer... a 3.5 and a 4 handicapper... Me and my partner off 10 and 5... It was like being in a junior cup better ball and I wasn't invited.. The young guys hitting it 70 yards past me and 50 yards past my partner.. We done well to take them to 16...wasn't enjoyable and I think I will not play Bruen again in 4 ball format... ..

Format Didn't bother you when your club were winning matches to get to the quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Galway beat Sligo to win Connaught senior cup in athlone.
    2nd extra hole needed in final pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

Format Didn't bother you when your club were winning matches to get to the quarters

Actually it did bother me..I was only giving my personal experience..not whinging... it only took 2 matches to get there.. playing with a 5 HC it was always how well he played that determined whether we won or not.. I would only come in every now and then.. unlike 4somes where u take every 2nd shot...I didn't feel a full part of it.. the further you go in the comp the lower the HCs will be...but hey ho .. thats the rules and it is the same for all teams left in it.. and I hope the lads who beat us win it...

• Advertisement

Actually it did bother me..I was only giving my personal experience..not whinging... it only took 2 matches to get there.. playing with a 5 HC it was always how well he played that determined whether we won or not.. I would only come in every now and then.. unlike 4somes where u take every 2nd shot...I didn't feel a full part of it.. the further you go in the comp the lower the HCs will be...but hey ho .. thats the rules and it is the same for all teams left in it.. and I hope the lads who beat us win it...

It's a rarity and not the norm. I played as high handicaper last 3 years and enjoying this format much better. Less pressure. Came up against one pair that had two low handicappers. The older heads have been harder to beat, more experienced, wiser etc.

Advertisement