Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The left this, the right that..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

open your eyes.

Yeah, open your eyes, sheeple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

its not negative. its just the sad reality we have allowed to happen

I was agreeing with you turn on your sarcasm detector.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

meeeeh wrote: »
    You and OP can fight this one out. It will be a perfect example of what is wrong about modern politics.

i have no interest in getting into a debate on politics. i hate politics. all hot air and BS buzz words and nothing to back it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I just wish someone would show me the attraction to the right...
    You're depicting the right as just extremists. There are views right of the middle that i agree with and views left of the middle ditto.

open your eyes. there are huge problems growing everywhere.

we have younger generations that cannot work cook, look after themselves
    modern femanism poluting the minds with their anti male nonscense.
    generations growing up showing no respect for anyone or anything including the law
    scumbags breading like rabbits
    honest hardworking people cannot afford to live and would be better off scounging from the state

I'd say modern grammar is being ruined first ;)

(Sorry, cheap dig!)

Point by point:
    1: Cooking, looking after themselves: do you know any young people? They're by far the fittest generation we've had due to gyms and working out not being niche things anymore. They know what nutrition is. They cannot work because you now need 3 years experience to be a waiter.
    2: Modern feminism is something I've already slightly gone in to. How about dudes just stop being dicks to women? It would solve a lot of problems.
    3: The government would do well by showing some respect to the law. Pay them properly and hire some more gardai.
    4: Breeding like rabbits? It was generations past that were churning out 9, 12, 16 kids regularly.
    5: Hardly the left's fault, they're the ones that want to build social housing and not pass on the current crisis to private landlords.

(Sorry, cheap dig!)

Point by point:
    1: cooking, looking after themselves: do you know any young people? They're by far the fittest generation we've had due to gyms and working out not being niche things anymore. Tjey know what nutrition is. They cannot work because you now need 3 years experience to be a waiter. i know lots of young people that cant boil an egg, cook a basic dinner , change a tyre, put fuel in the car, light a fire, use a screwdriver.
    2: modern feminism is something I've already slightly gone in to. How about dudes just stop being dicks to women? It would solve a lot of problems.how about modern femanism stops blaming men for all the problems and realises that men and women can be just as good and bad as each other
    3: The government would do well by showing some respect to the law. Pay them properly and hire some more gardai.
    4: Breeding like rabbits? It was generations past that were churning out 9, 12, 16 kids regularly.i agree there , but years ago every one of them went out and earned a living and supported themselves
    5: Hardly the lefts fault, they're the ones that want to build social housing and not pass on the current crisis to private landlords.
    s

(Sorry, cheap dig!)

qo6f6d.jpg

:D

But there are people who question hardline feminism yet do not want to keep women down.

"Hardline feminism" is a classic example of the reality distortion effect of the echo chambers that are tiny, minuscule nether regions of the www like After Hours threads. After a while, people believe all that rubbish about it being a major issue, when in reality it's a bullshít recently invented non-issue which will never impact upon the daily life of the vast, vast majority of men.

Still, always better for the plebs to be fighting about cost-free liberal "rights" than seeking more taxes- indeed, any taxes - on the rich to fund social services.

qo6f6d.jpg

:D

I knew that was gonna happen :D hate when I end typing long messages on a phone :D

Actually, it was only a misspelling of "Tjey", and an apostrophe missing from "left's" the others are grammatically sound :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

But it's not about society becoming more inclusive, it's two sides hurling insults at each other without even wanting to hear other sides argument. When insults like feminazi are thrown around, when anyone in anyway critical of liberal all accepting viewpoint tries to be silenced you know the world is going to hell. And those on left are just as responsible as those on the right.

In a perfect world,,,I'd ban the following expressions

Feminazi
    Snowflake
    SJW
    white privilege
    mansplaining

I know not everyone who uses the above terms are bad people, but vast majority of time they are used to shut down and taunt those with opposing views rather than engage in meaningful discussion.

I knew that was gonna happen :D hate when I end typing long messages on a phone :D

Nothing personal it was just too good to pass on.:D

Mind you doing a screen capture and going to tinypic to host the image was a lot of effort.:o

"Hardline feminism" is a classic example of the reality distortion effect of the echo chambers that are tiny, minuscule nether regions of the www like After Hours threads. After a while, people believe all that rubbish about it being a major issue, when in reality it's a bullshít recently invented non-issue which will never impact upon the daily life of the vast, vast majority of men.

Still, always better for the plebs to be fighting about cost-free liberal "rights" than seeking more taxes- indeed, any taxes - on the rich to fund social services.

i dont agree. the reality is that that sort of stuff like me too and feminism has made its way into the heads of lots of people and you see stories regularly that show that mens rights are being eroded .
    look at that case of a father and daughter in a hotel where the cops were called
    that airline that wont let a child sit beside a man

look at the gender pay gap nonscense . you hear that mentioned regularly by everyday people but it isnt based on any kind of facts and is mostly the ideas of screwed up femanists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

I would consider myself slightly right of centre... All of this bull**** about genders and trans... these are sick people who need medical help... the left are trying to normalise this rubbish. These people need help

Mod-Banned

• Site Banned Posts: 18 Afro Turner

Leftists are now offended by clapping. I'll go with the right.

And they are correct getting the clap is not very nice.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Left:
    Equality among sexes
    Recognising different genders exist
    Social healthcare
    Separating religion from government
    Treating people equally
    Environmental concerns

Right:
    Business, markets, capitalism are most important
    Money, if you don't have it, tough.
    Conserving the status quo eg, no expansion for different genders, against gay marriage
    Insularism (putting borders up, "looking after our own first")
    Private healthcare, if you can afford it, you can have healthcare, its business.
    No environmental concerns (it's all baloney - there's money to be made, now)
    Keeping religion central to education, health, the system.

Boards has become frighteningly right wing these days. I dunno when that happened, but most of the time I can't be bothered to reply on a thread as I'll be drowned out.

I know for a fact that boards is not reflective of society as a whole (thank God!) but its a good time as any, to say, why are you freaked out by the left?

From my perspective, the left (while not perfect by any means) want society to become more inclusive, and try and focus on the individual being able to be an individual, while the right tends to generally care about money and possessions first, not wanting other people to recognise their own individuality, whether that be not recognising gender spectrum, or gay marriage for instance. They want to keep women down (the lambasting the #metoo movement is especially bizarre, as we all know women who've been harassed at one time or another)

So, what's the attraction to the right? What do you get out of it? What am I missing?

Boards is right wing???
    First I heard of it.

Also, your description of the left and right are extremely messed up and the wording is very biased. One or two mistakes, fine, but when it's that screwed up and biased, I can only assume there is no point discussing it with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The left: the rich have too much money
    The right: the poor have too much money

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Rechuchote wrote: »
    The left: the rich have too much money
    The right: the poor have too much money

Either way, if you're earning an average wage you're screwed :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

But there are people who question hardline feminism yet do not want to keep women down.

There are feminists who hate trans people.

There are people with right-wing views who are atheists.

You are just presenting two polarised boxes whereas the reality is of a huge amount of cross fertilisation.

In general I am more to the right economically (but that doesn't mean I disagree with state supports - I completely agree with them) and more to the left socially - but I don't accept there are more than two genders, and while I loathe misogyny and adore feminists of old, I detest today's feminism.

I'm not anti immigration but it has to be limited.

I think there is too much abdication of personal responsibility and people need to look mostly to themselves for help (mostly; nothing wrong with asking for a helping hand).

I think this sums it up perfectly really .
    But back to OP

Left:
    Equality among sexes
    Agreed but not this 3rd wave man hating feminism ...
    Recognising different genders exist 2 genders exist, sometimes we have people that feel they are the other sex, but still 2 TWO !!!
    Social healthcare
    Agreed
    100% Agreed!!
    Treating people equally
    Agreed - but modern left wants special privilege to "oppressed" people, god knows what the definition of oppressed is , it changes daily...
    Environmental concerns
    Agree!!!
    Right:
    Don't agree
    Don't agree
    Conserving the status quo eg, no expansion for different genders
    Agree ... no problem with sex change between the binary genders, but this 69 genderqueer bollix.... nah it's a fashionable neurosis ..
    against gay marriage
    definetely do not agree here !! 100% behind gay marriage
    Agree, its a tough world and 7 Billion people is enough in the world, look after your own -
    but im for immigration for TRUE refugees and when needed (has proper skillset etc...)
    Private healthcare, if you can afford it, you can have healthcare, its business.
    Don't agree...
    100% disagree!!!
    100% disagree
    Boards has become frighteningly right wing these days. I dunno when that happened, but most of the time I can't be bothered to reply on a thread as I'll be drowned out.
    Not really in fairness, the mods do a good job...
    I know for a fact that boards is not reflective of society as a whole (thank God!) but its a good time as any, to say, why are you freaked out by the left?
    (Just using US politics as an example here...)The left has failed, this is why Trump won, I was delighted when Trump won as a REACTION to all this nonsense - I say this as someone who was very disappointed when Bush won 2000+2004 and delighted when Obama won his 2 terms ...... the democrats need to up their game rather then whine and whine about russian bots and the rise of far right fascism ... yeah sure ... fascism ... :rolleyes:
    From my perspective, the left (while not perfect by any means) want society to become more inclusive, and try and focus on the individual being able to be an individual,
    The classical left do yes, not these bunch of dangerous anti free speech whiners ....
    while the right tends to generally care about money and possessions first, not wanting other people to recognise their own individuality,
    whether that be not recognising gender spectrum,
    Gender SPECTRUM ??? there is XX and XY chromosomes ! what "Spectrum" are you talking about ?? so in computer science can we introduce the spectrum of boolean values between true and false ??? or 0 and 1 ...
    or gay marriage for instance. They want to keep women down (the lambasting the #metoo movement is especially bizarre, as we all know women who've been harassed at one time or another)
    The meToo movement is a joke, they are privileged whiners and don't give a **** about actual real sexual assault, show me any metoo people that gave a **** about the Rotherham rape gangs ? no ... they didn't wrong type of perp....hypocrites ..

So, what's the attraction to the right? What do you get out of it? What am I missing?

I don't think there is an attraction to the right, it's just people are looking for sense in this crazy PC world - look at my views above, it's a mix of both, but I'm just branded as a far right bigot because I don't like this 3rd wave feminism and don't accept a gender spectrum.
    I am also not a fan of Islam , it's a dangerous ideology.
    So yeah, I guess I must be a nazi ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

Left:
    Equality among sexes
    Recognising different genders exist
    Social healthcare
    Treating people equally
    Environmental concerns

Right:
    Conserving the status quo eg, no expansion for different genders, against gay marriage

From my perspective, the left (while not perfect by any means) want society to become more inclusive, and try and focus on the individual being able to be an individual, while the right tends to generally care about money and possessions first, not wanting other people to recognise their own individuality, whether that be not recognising gender spectrum, or gay marriage for instance. They want to keep women down (the lambasting the #metoo movement is especially bizarre, as we all know women who've been harassed at one time or another)

What is is it about the individual that is so sacred? Or more precisely, what is it about BEING an individual that is so important, where is it supposed to lead us.
    Our greatest achievements have been through working together, where would we be as a society if everyone insisted on being different to everyone else, "look at me, I'm not like you, I do my own thing.with increasing degrees of segmentation. There would be no society.
    By all means be an individual amongst your family and friends, but don't let that be the defining aspect of your life, or use your individualism to benefit the greater good of the community.
    And men and women are not equal,but one is not better than the other, both have particular strengths and weaknesses, both deserve equal opportunities, if a woman can out perform a man in a field that is normally seen as male dominated than by all means fill your boots, which kinda ties in with what I said about being an individual that benefits the greater community.

I detest religion, I think too much wealth is in the hands of too few people.
    I would consider myself a nationalist.
    I believe everyone able bodied should work.
    I believe those less fortunate and not so able bodied should be lifted up or carried by the strenght of the collective group.
    Where does all this put me on your right, left spectrum?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I've often wondered how much infiltration exists within these ideologies.

I mean honestly, I'd say one of the best or most effective ways to push people towards right wing mindset or make them go further with their right wing leanings is to make the left seem so fúcking intolerable that people want nothing to do with it and want to distance themselves completely.

So you could say, go hire some clever folk, who pose as left wing and go out of there way to capture the utmost irritating aspects of leftwing thought in order to sway those who are more centred.

Anybody know of this sort of thing existing?

I've often wondered how much infiltration exists within these ideologies.

I mean honestly, I'd say one of the best or most effective ways to push people towards right wing mindset or make them go further with their right wing leanings is to make the left seem so fúcking intolerable that people want nothing to do with it and want to distance themselves completely.

So you could say, go hire some clever folk, who pose as left wing and go out of there way to capture the utmost irritating aspects of leftwing thought in order to sway those who are more centred.

Anybody know of this sort of thing existing?

Not really but I am aware of this nonsense.
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Right:

LOL, this is a typical misrepresentation of what it means to be a right-winger. You might as well just call all right-wingers 'a basket of deplorables' ala Clinton if will make you feel better.

In your world, left = good, right =bad.

Examples, please?

Your perspective is wrong and misguided. 'Keeping women down', for **** sake! You are the reason why 'the right' is more popular now.

If you think being of 'the right' is just being a mean racist or something-something ism, then there is no point trying to debate anything with you to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mine is hanging just to the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Right Wing we have money and we don't want to share.

The left we have nothing and we want to share.

cartoon-freedom-of-choice.jpg?w=590

imageedit_7_8427896670.gif

But it's not about society becoming more inclusive, it's two sides hurling insults at each other without even wanting to hear other sides argument. When insults like feminazi are thrown around, when anyone in anyway critical of liberal all accepting viewpoint tries to be silenced you know the world is going to hell. And those on left are just as responsible as those on the right.

Everyone's a Nazi/alt-right if they don't agree with a hardline leftie apparently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Why should anybody accept something they believe to be nonsense. It wouldn’t affect me to accept that 2+2=5 but I know it’s not so I don’t.

It would be a deeply sinister society that expected people to believe that 2+2=5 or face social or professional ostracisation but here we are.

It’s libertarian or liberal to allow people to declare gender, it’s totalitarian to expect everybody to accept it.

I actually agree with you here. I don’t care what anyone believes as long as they don’t use it to discriminate.

I’ll never understand why there are more threads on boards about transgender issues started by people who don’t believe you can change gender, than by transgender people.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Everyone's a Nazi/alt-right if they don't agree with a hardline leftie apparently.

That’s a straw man that’s constantly parroted about people on the left. It has no basis in reality though.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The modern Left are too like the Catholic Church of old in manner.

Deeply intolerant of others, righteous and demanding conformity.

I'd say I am left of most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

These definitions in the OP do not cover everyone.
    I am right wing.
    Yet I am pro marriage equality, pro-choice (voted yes for SSM and for repeal), and I am atheist. Staunchly so.

You need to make a distinction between right wing and right wing extremists, the same way as you make a distinction between left wing, and loony lefts like AAAPBP, SF, etc.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    That’s a straw man that’s constantly parroted about people on the left. It has no basis in reality though.

Strawman?

Have you ever tried having any discussions with such people? You'd swear they were trolls, but they're just delusional.

Everything is either black or white to them, with a "with us or against us" mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's true in the same way that saying right wing people want to reintroduce slavery in. Sure there's a handful of mental impotent people that go after stuff like that but they're not representative of anyone but themselves and their looper friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think we should all be asking questions all the time. no topic off limits and no orthodoxy left unchallenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭zmgakt7uw2dvfs

No there isn't equality here.

We don't have equal amount of
    Female/male electricians
    Female/male nurses
    Female/male teachers
    Female/male members of boards
    Female/male carers
    Female/male stay at home parents
    Female/male TD's

Do you think it's desirable to have a 50-50 male:female split across everything?

Do you think it's a problem that the split isn't 50-50 across everything?

I think you're seeing problems where there aren't really problems to be honest. Good luck in getting the girls to line up to become electricians and JCB drivers and bin collectors though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You know what, your post illustrates perfectly the point I was trying to make. And I think a lot of us are sick of this type of nonsense on both sides. I think your and the other side deserve each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How do you achieve 50/50 male/female electricians though?

By its nature, it will be very hard to do, unless you force a certain number of girls to study to become electricians.

But can you force people to do something to achieve equality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Leftists to the right of me
    Rightists to the left of me
    Here I am stuck in the centre with no one.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Site Banned Posts: 18 Afro Turner

Danzy wrote: »
    The modern Left are too like the Catholic Church of old in manner.

Deeply intolerant of others, righteous and demanding conformity.

I'd say I am left of most people.

The also have this weird obsession with punishing those who stray from the righteous path of 'tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

ELM327 wrote: »
    These definitions in the OP do not cover everyone.
    I am right wing.
    Yet I am pro marriage equality, pro-choice (voted yes for SSM and for repeal), and I am atheist. Staunchly so.

You need to make a distinction between right wing and right wing extremists, the same way as you make a distinction between left wing, and loony lefts like AAAPBP, SF, etc.

You're socially left wing, economically right wing, then.

Your belief in a god or otherwise has absolutely nothing to do with politics but is your private business.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

By its nature, it will be very hard to do, unless you force a certain number of girls to study to become electricians.

Remove free will seems to be the answer from a growing clique of the left.

That is not flippant remark.

The also have this weird obsession with punishing those who stray from the righteous path of 'tolerance.

"It seems to me that what we're doing...is producing a tyrannous new morality that is every bit as oppressive as the old.” Professor David Starkey

NIMAN wrote: »

Thou shalt achieve equality
    Thou shalt forsake the evidence of thy'n senses
    Let Diversity be thy'n graven image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

More dribble from an OP leftie arguing the rise of the facist right, oh the anarchy. How has all this murican bolloxogy made its way to country. :mad:

Boards/Afterhours is a walk in the park compared to loads of other places I find.

Yeah, I think most of the right-wing stuff that gets posted on here is borne out of personal frustration, rather than the sort of ideological nastiness that you might see elsewhere. More often that not, I suspect they lack the intelligence to realise that they should maybe consider directing that frustration upwards, rather than constantly seeking groups of people whom they believe they are 'better than', in the hope of giving themselves a temporary boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Boards has become frighteningly right wing these days.

It really hasn’t.

From my perspective...

Ahh, I think I see the actual problem there. The problem is with your perspective, not with Boards.

You’re missing the fact that from your perspective, anyone who agrees with you are lovely. Anyone who disagrees with your opinion are malevolent fcukwits unfit for the kind of society you wish existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

No there isn't equality here.

We don't have equal amount of
    Female/male electricians
    Female/male nurses
    Female/male teachers
    Female/male members of boards
    Female/male carers
    Female/male stay at home parents
    Female/male TD's

So what you're saying is, women and men choose different careers? Hold the press :rolleyes:

More often that not, I suspect they lack the intelligence to realise that they should maybe consider directing that frustration upwards, rather than constantly seeking groups of people whom they believe they are 'better than', in the hope of giving themselves a temporary boost.

The mantra of so many on the Left today the people are thick. It used be disguised as a discussion on false consciousness.

That was bad enough because it closed down an examination of what drives people.

Your presuming a lot about people.

Danzy wrote: »
    The mantra of so many on the Left today the people are thick. It used be disguised as a discussion on false consciousness.

That was bad enough because it closed down an examination of what drives people.

Your presuming a lot about people.

Sorry, I probably should have worded it better. I didn't mean to imply that right-wing people are all thick. Some people are thick though, whatever their political inclination, and I think people who don't appear to be in a great position themselves, but feel the constant need to punch downwards - are being especially thick, as they are focusing on people even less powerful than themselves.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Strawman?

Have you ever tried having any discussions with such people? You'd swear they were trolls, but they're just delusional.

Everything is either black or white to them, with a "with us or against us" mentality.

How could I have discussions with people I claim don’t exist?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
Advertisement