Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Deirdre - Saturday 15 December 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Malin head rising slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Seems ok now. Rain has passed and wind died down. Celbridge.

Was in Ashford, Wicklow this morning and was wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Howling wind and rain in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Peak wild here now here, absolutely crazy . A night to be inside for sure.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

River Slaney has burst its bank in Enniscorthy town. N11 southbound closed. Shops/businesses sand bagged but high tide still to come closer to midnight.

Rain stopped but winds really picking up again.

https://twitter.com/liamruth/status/1074014330172137475?s=21

https://twitter.com/liamruth/status/1074015329217585152?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm on the side of a mountain in North Kerry and it was a bit of a damp squib.

I've seen more wind from my hairdryer.( Slight exaggeration but I'm sure you get the point:))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Interesting to compare the 18Z analysis today with yesterday's 24-hr forecast for the same time. The low ended up 2 hPa shallower and slightly further southeast than forecast, with a slightly less severe gradient.

ACTUAL
    ukmo_nat_fax_2018121518_000.png

FORECAST
    ukmo_nat_fax_2018121418_024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

65% of all electricity currently being provided by renewables.

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#all
    http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#all/wind

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Drove from Carrick on Shannon home to Carlow via Naas.

From Carrick to Kinnegad was just deluges of rain. Visibility was almost nil at times.

From Naas to Carlow was dry but the wind was crazy. Shaking the van and throwing it from one lane to another.

Get back home and it's calm. It's been one strange few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Winds have dropped significantly here in Clondalkin. Rain has eased also. People out and about heading to the pubs and restaurants in the village. My experience is that it was what we would expect this time of year. You can understand why many will be left wondering what was the hype about.

sdanseo wrote: »
    65% of all electricity currently being provided by renewables.

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#all
    http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#all/wind

Interesting. I thought windmills were feathered/stopped in very windy conditions?

sparrowcar wrote: »
    1st go around of this wind in DUB
    FR117

A Boeing 737 had some bad windshear at 1931Z.

EIDW WS WRNG 01 151940 VALID 151945/152145 WS IN APCH RWY28 REP AT 1931 B737 GAIN OF 40KTS AT 400FT=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Not so calm in Meath now. Fun steering two kids from the shops to the car, in wind and rain an hour ago. Glad to be indoors now. 4yo didn’t like “the wind noise” at bedtime. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Very rough in Letterkenny, a lot stronger than I have heard in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Watching the satellite and radar loops it appeared that the centre tracked just slightly inland and it's possible that the strongest winds on land might have been near Wexford as per the report of scattered lumber in one post from there. Johnstown Castle seems a bit sheltered from strong winds each time we have a strong wind event but also it's a bit north of where I would think the strongest winds might have hit. I checked mick's Waterford station and his peak gust only 68 km/hr there. This didn't quite phase together to its maximum potential for wind, I think the rainfall in general terms met expectations although obviously with large regional variations. If the same system had moved along a track about 30 miles further north it might have had more severe impacts, so a good thing it didn't as the impacts reported in some places seem bad enough with trees down and other scattered damage reports.

Interesting. I thought windmills were feathered/stopped in very windy conditions?
    They are in exceptional winds and there is insufficient load, so I would imagine this is noting but haymaking for them.

Watching the satellite and radar loops it appeared that the centre tracked just slightly inland and it's possible that the strongest winds on land might have been near Wexford as per the report of scattered lumber in one post from there. Johnstown Castle seems a bit sheltered from strong winds each time we have a strong wind event but also it's a bit north of where I would think the strongest winds might have hit. I checked mick's Waterford station and his peak gust only 68 km/hr there. This didn't quite phase together to its maximum potential for wind, I think the rainfall in general terms met expectations although obviously with large regional variations. If the same system had moved along a track about 30 miles further north it might have had more severe impacts, so a good thing it didn't as the impacts reported in some places seem bad enough with trees down and other scattered damage reports.

Waterford airport gusted to 46 knots (85 kph) at 17:30. Oak Park max 83 kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Peak at Arklow was just shy of 102kmh around 640pm
    That's about 60 miles north of Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Storm 10 wrote: »

And this is why I don’t mind people reporting that it was a damp squib in there location.
    Hopefully she is okay and pulls through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

Standing outside in chapelizod. Nothing to report.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Waterford airport gusted to 46 knots (85 kph) at 17:30. Oak Park max 83 kph.

Definitely not as severe as expected. The Max at my station of 69km/h was recorded during that spell when Waterford Airport recorded 85km/h. Being near the coast the Airport will always record higher gusts than my Waterford City station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Does anyone know the rainfall amount in Galway over the past 12 hours? My guess is less than 5mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Does anyone know the rainfall amount in Galway over the past 12 hours? My guess is less than 5mm.

Synop report for Mace Head gives 21.0mm in the past 24 hours up to 2100 UTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Synop report for Mace Head gives 21.0mm in the past 24 hours up to 2100 UTC.

Thanks Syranbruen...shure those muckers out west get that every day I'd say!
    Is there a station near Galway city?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Thanks Syranbruen...shure those muckers out west get that every day I'd say!
    Is there a station near Galway city?

Galway City Weather's station has recorded 0.4mm of rain since midnight today.

http://www.galwaycityweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

It may not of been as bad as expected but thanks to Meteorite ,Syranbruen,G.L, and M.T for all the charts etc throughout the past 24 hours.Its been a very interesting system to watch causing headaches for forecasters. Never saw the TAF's change as much in the past 24 hours.Could of very easily got nasty. Anyway, onto the next one....

Clear skies tonight in Kerry. Lots of stars to be seen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Clear skies tonight in Kerry. Lots of stars to be seen

Any meteor s

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    Any meteor s

Didn't see any

Advertisement