Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Deirdre - Saturday 15 December 2018

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

goat2 wrote: »
    This storm seems to be more robust and distructive than storm Deirdre,
    I did not bother taking out the torch the night of storm Deirdre,
    but tonight I have got in pocket to be ready for black out

As mentioned on the other (current) thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108910010#post108910010

For anyone directly near the E coasts, going to be fairly nasty, and although short-lived will affect the main urban areas & the M1 around early rush hour 0600-0800, expect an overturned truck or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Nothing untoward all evening in North Kildare. Quite windy but nothing compared to Deirdre. Having said that, the current trajectory of the wind means that I am being sheltered by a hill to my immediate south.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

It's incredible how many outlets blew this storm out of all proportion, no one as bad as a the Tramore Surf Shop and Surf School on Facebook.

Talk about scaring the bejaysus out of people with this garbage (bear in mind all he was using was VentuSky):

"Some truly incredible weather on the way tomorrow. Expect thunderstorms, months worth of rain to fall in one day, gusts potentially reaching Status Red storm levels at 144km/h-155km/h depending on IF the direction of this beast of a storm decides to change and travel north (dark purple a few miles south of us in the photo). Squalls (feeling like tornadoes), floods, lightening, big seas, winds strong enough to uproot trees in the evening (if it hits), but either way storm force winds and I'm calling for squalls to feel like you are in the middle of a tornado, that is unless there actually is a tornado. As there is the very slight and rare possibility if the storm cell decides to move north and hit us dead on with Status Red gusts between 140km/h-155km/h. (The dark purple area in the pic below is the storm with winds up to 155km/h just off of the southern Irish coast. If that decides to go north tomorrow evening along with the already major thunderstorms then prepare for an extra hairy situation.)

I will update you tomorrow just after 12pm if the Status Red storm will hit us. Charge up all your batteries and expect major power outs due to the intense thunderstorm that will stay with us for most of the day."

In later posts he claimed the storm shifted Dramatically at the very last minute and therefore none of the above happened. Absolute joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Massive gusting for a while here. 85kph max.

Whoops wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Perhaps an opening for an enterprising person to market "I survived Storm Deirdre" T-shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

If you disagree with them you get the ban hammer like myself. Should stick to prioritizing their business over their attempts at meteorology. Cant help having a look on their page now as its more of a comedy. :pac:

Putting nonsense like that on their page IS prioritising their business as it brings in the clicks. The guy who writes it is some character alright with one hell of a vivid imagination and ability to exaggerate, going by some of the other stuff he's put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maximum 10-minute mean wind speeds (km/h) for selected Irish stations during Storm Deirdre have been added to my table now.

MgSFNmH.png

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

really shows how different Darwin was!

Advertisement