Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

kerplun k wrote: »
    I watched it on Sky last night. I thought it was an enjoyable yarn.
    It felt very reminiscent of T2, and comes in 3rd behind, T2, T1, then Dark Fate.

I liked it too, but it could have been allot better, if they had just tightened up some of the loose plot threads. I really liked allot of it. Linda Hamilton back in this role was as awesome as she was in T2. Mackenzie Davis was great as a part terminator and really pulled off the action scenes well. Gabriel Luna was genuinely unnerving as a sociopathic terminator.

Unfortunately, there was just too much not to like.
    CG John Conner getting assassinated, a comedic T800, an alternate skynet, Natalia Reyes as a future war leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I liked it too, but it could have been allot better, if they had just tightened up some of the loose plot threads. I really liked allot of it. Linda Hamilton back in this role was as awesome as she was in T2. Mackenzie Davis was great as a part terminator and really pulled off the action scenes well. Gabriel Luna was genuinely unnerving as a sociopathic terminator.

Unfortunately, there was just too much not to like.
    CG John Conner getting assassinated, a comedic T800, an alternate skynet, Natalia Reyes as a future war leader.

The start was one of my favorite bits. I was completely surprised by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Saw it in Cinema and recently re-watched it to be sure. Its pretty bad. Hopefully the nail in the coffin for the franchise.

Without Arnie there is no Terminator imo, so i can't see another reboot working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Not sure how much stock you can put in the IMDB ratings for this one, it was brigaded after featuring in some alt right podcasts and I don't think enough actual people saw it to drown them out.
    I'll buy that it affected its score, and it doesn't deserve to be rated lowest of any of the post-T2 movies, but the third act is so bad as to leave it more or less amongst them anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

After T2 you can quibble the merits or deficiencies of those sequels but it's fairly clear none of them come close to the standard of the two classics. The simple point being that the franchise should be allowed to die, having outstayed its premise and welcome by about 30 years.

But no doubt someone else will pick up the IP, and another studio will try another reboot. Though not even China could save the film from audience apathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

mikhail wrote: »
    I'll buy that it affected its score, and it doesn't deserve to be rated lowest of any of the post-T2 movies, but the third act is so bad as to leave it more or less amongst them anyway.

The plane and humvee stuff, sure. I thoroughly enjoyed the stuff at the dam though. Overall, it's not nearly as dreary as Salvation or as goofy slapstick as T3 or as... well, Assorted ****e as Genisys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Without Arnie there is no Terminator imo

I think that attitude has killed the franchise as much as anything to be honest.

T1 and T2 were a cut above the average "Arnie movie" and I think an interesting story could be told in that world without that one actor, or that one model of Terminator for that matter.

Even way back in T3 (17 years ago!) it was an unnecessary stretch of the imagination to put him back in the role, finding yet another leather jacket, shades, and motor cycle, while we're all supposed to pretend that the killer robot doesn't look like the 55 year old man that he was.

Now's he 70+ and still doing it? I don't care how "legendary" the guy is, there's no version of a 70 year old killer robot that's going to make a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

There’s been nowhere (interesting) to bring the story since T2. T2 while it’s a great movie, just plays essentially the same story, with Arnie doing the Kyle Reese protector part against a terminator who looks a bit like Reese (similar build anyway).

After that, it’s mainly dross repeating itself. That said, Swarzenegger has somehow remained watchable in the later awful movies. Reminds me a bit of Roddy McDowell in the Planet of the Apes sequels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Disagree about him remaining watchable, when he told the story of falling in love with his wife and child but not performing sexual functions on her I was shaking my head in amazement at how low things had gone. Really don't know why that scene doesn't get more attention/ridicule.

Dumping Skynet for the cheap, generic "Legion" from every boring AI gone mad story ever aswell, showed that the producers had no respect for the franchise or a clue what to do with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Said elsewhere but the best Terminator since T2 was Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Outside of 1 or 2 scenes I barely remember Dark Fate. Even had to Google to see what the plot was

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Disagree about him remaining watchable, when he told the story of falling in love with his wife and child but not performing sexual functions on her I was shaking my head in amazement at how low things had gone. Really don't know why that scene doesn't get more attention/ridicule.

He explicitly says he does not love them.

All he says is "It's not physical", "perform sexual functions on her" is a weird way to present that. I'm not really sure why people need to believe Terminators f*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Just watched this tonight.

For me Salvation is the best of the post JD films. This isnt great but its better that T3 and Genesis. The movienisnt bad but the time travel logic and story of Arnies character is just pure nonsense.

It starts strong and the bew characters and Linda Hamilton all play their part but the film collapses when the mystery of the plot is revealed.

Its still a decent action flick but you have to ignore logic to enjoy it. Nothing on T2 and T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Dumping Skynet for the cheap, generic "Legion" from every boring AI gone mad story ever aswell, showed that the producers had no respect for the franchise or a clue what to do with it...

As far as I'm concerned, the film doesn't exist; like Geniysis or however you spell it, it's glorified fan fiction pandering to a Chinese market and a product of its time.

There really was no need to make films after T2 but for me, T3 did a decent job in continuing the story despite its many flaws.

Salvation, which interestingly has been reappraised in a more favorable light as a result of the recent awful films mentioned above, was at least something new and gave fans what they ultimately wanted and still want to see - a future war, however the execution was off.

No doubt the franchise will be re booted again in time, quite how that pans out will be anybody's guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is still the best post T1/T2 instalment for me.

Stark wrote: »
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is still the best post T1/T2 instalment for me.

But how good is that? Personally never watched it, looked a bit hammy.

The bar is very high to be as good as the first 2 movies, the bar however is very low for being the best movie since them.

It's a slow burner. I enjoyed the second season quite a lot. Much better than "Dollhouse" which it was cancelled in favour of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The end of T3 I think is the best thing about the franchise post T2.....it's just a pity about the previous 2 hours or so.

I loved it at the time and it had a lot of cool ideas to explore, but increasingly I think it hasn't aged well. Not just effects wise, but because it had a weird schizophrenic tone and pacing, and some stuff, like a talking Endo and the secret urinal t1000, is too goofy to look past.

I wouldn’t be averse to a rebooted version of it with a lot less network interference and filler episodes though, I think it could be legitimately worthwhile. Those writers etc are all still around and working, Friedman even worked on DF.

I loved it at the time and it had a lot of cool ideas to explore, but increasingly I think it hasn't aged well. Not just effects wise, but because it had a weird schizophrenic tone and pacing, and some stuff, like a talking Endo and the secret urinal t1000, is too goofy to look past.

I thought the urinal scene was brilliant :)

• Advertisement

The end of T3 I think is the best thing about the franchise post T2.....it's just a pity about the previous 2 hours or so.

Remind me, what happened then?

I thought the urinal scene was brilliant :)

:D It's just a bit too T3 jokes-above-logic for me. Like, it's funny to use a Terminator's abilities like that but it makes no sense that it would. It's goofy.

A big chunk of what I loved about DF was that it took itself seriously in the way TSCC usually did - I blame T3 for the decline of the whole franchise post T2 because once you make elements of the franchise's toybox running in-jokes rather than just the stuff that happens in it, I don't think you can go back and make people take it seriously again easily. You can't make the T800 as scary or cool as he was in T1 or T2 after T3.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Remind me, what happened then?

They were never going to destroy Skynet, Arnie just spoofed John that there was a possibility just so he could get him into the bunker in the mountain and survive.

They were never going to destroy Skynet, Arnie just spoofed John that there was a possibility just so he could get him into the bunker in the mountain and survive.

Oh yeah, that was a decent plotline to end the film. Pity about everything else.

I wonder of they did nothing after T2 would Cameron be tempted back to make his own T3.

Always liked Salvation myself. It wasnt bad but it had so much potential to be so much more.

Genysis or however you spell it was my least fav. Just bollox with very little to enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To that I would add the first chase set piece of Dark Fate. I was fully onboard the film before it totally shat the bed halfway through and later with its finale. But in terms of a start, it was pretty punchy.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that was a decent plotline to end the film. Pity about everything else.

I wonder of they did nothing after T2 would Cameron be tempted back to make his own T3.

Always liked Salvation myself. It wasnt bad but it had so much potential to be so much more.

Genysis or however you spell it was my least fav. Just bollox with very little to enjoy.

I prefer Salvation to Genysis and Dark Fate but at this point it's more famous for what it was supposed to be as opposed to what we ended up getting.

It's interesting that Bale intervening and insisting John didn't die kind of ruined the film, only for John to be killed off in Cameron's return to the franchise.

I mean it's crazy when you think about it; McG had a better idea for John dying than Cameron did.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t be averse to a rebooted version of it with a lot less network interference and filler episodes though, I think it could be legitimately worthwhile. Those writers etc are all still around and working, Friedman even worked on DF.
    Whats the talking Endo? I remember the urinal alright! :D

Whats the talking Endo? I remember the urinal alright! :D

There's a bit where the baddy Terminator has lost all its skin so it strongarms a human to help it make more to disguise itself.

My memory's hazy but we're either shown or have it implied that it's still able to speak without a tongue or lips. I get that a Terminator's voice is probably electronic, it just struck me as a fair silly idea that they could be walking around like Skeletor chatting away goodo. The movies were imho pretty careful to have silent endos for that reason.

There's a bit where the baddy Terminator has lost all its skin so it strongarms a human to help it make more to disguise itself.

My memory's hazy but we're either shown or have it implied that it's still able to speak without a tongue or lips. I get that a Terminator's voice is probably electronic, it just struck me as a fair silly idea that they could be walking around like Skeletor chatting away goodo. The movies were imho pretty careful to have silent endos for that reason.
    I actually didnt mind that bit with the skin it was an okay scene, it was like a throwback to when Scotty and McCoy gave the formula for transparent aluminium to the glass company guy in Star Trek. Plus we know the terminators have voice synthesizers not tongues and vocal cords, Arnie and the T1000 pretending to be John and his foster mother etc.

Advertisement