Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool runnings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Monday 9th

Short, easy.

4.51 @9.26

HR 115

Tuesday 10th

Rest

Wednesday 11th

16 mile run. With a race at the weekend, was advised to do a midweek long run, so decided to ditch both planned Tuesday & Thursday sessions. Felt quite sluggish at times here.

16.19 @8.41

HR 117/140

Thursday 12th

Easy run.

8.06 @8.51

HR 119

Friday 13th

Easy run.

7.04 @8.59

HR 109/126

Saturday 14th

Donadea 10k. Went down to this hoping for a morale-boosting performance, but it didn't really come to pass. The course -
    mostly undulating, squishy forest trails - didn't, I realised afterward, lend itself to fast running, but in truth I didn't perform very well. It was only a sharpener for DCM in any case.

10k in 42.21

HR 157/173

Sunday 15th

Rest

Week's mileage 44

Monday 16th

Rest

Tuesday 17th

Nippy 4 miler. Two days off, so this is what happens.

4.16 @7.46

HR 135/151

Wednesday 18th

8 miles on marathon course. OH and dog accompanied me, and she walked him while I ran from the Garda HQ down to Chesterfield, up to Myo's, then down to Knockmaroon and back into the park, where I turned left at the junction rather than right.

8.04 @8.11

HR 128

Thursday 19th

I had missed out on Tuesday's session due to work, but I wasn't sorry about it, being keener on Thursday's 6 MP miles. Unfortunately, however, I was working all day, so I threw the gear in the car, and as luck would have it, got sent out to St. Anne's Park in Raheny for a quick snap or two. I wasn't due back in town for a few hours, so I got changed in the carpark of the Red Stables and headed out for a warm-up. I was down near the causeway gate when a familiar figure swept languidly past. "Who is this fecker?", I wondered, but my brain was already trying to supply the answer. "It's Clohessy, you idiot".

For a second I considered starting the MP miles then and there and overtaking him, just to see what he'd do. Then the rational part of my brain took over, and I left Mick alone, although I did run into him a couple more times, and said hello eventually.

It was a lovely cool and crisp evening, and I was moving well even on the warmup. When I kicked it up to MP pace I was pleased with the way I felt - controlled, even breathing, no difficulty holding the pace, and I deliberately followed the Leinster 10 mile course because it had a little bit of undulation in it. The final piece of the marathon jigsaw is always running economy, in my book, and the taper is crucial to it.

6m @MP (7.08 av)

HR 142/156

Friday 20th

Easy short recovery.

4.31 @8.58

HR 110/131

Saturday 21st

Rest

Sunday 22nd

90 minute long run. Felt very sluggish: put it down to taper, and the few bits of quality during the week. Forgot towel, one sock, and watch. So no HR stats.

11.2 @8.24

Week's mileage 36

Final week of taper

Monday 24th

Rest on the plan, but there's a fine line to be treaded between the sluggishness (and paranoia) that too much downtime can cause, and the alertness and confidence brought about by a regular training regime. There was a Rest option on the plan, but went with a few really easy miles. Mini-session tomorrow.

4.25 @9.06

HR 118/137

Tuesday 25th

3m@HMP. Only one other running at my pace for this, aiming for 6.50-ish. Felt really good, and hopefully the 3@MP on Thursday will be a breeze by comparison.

3@HMP (6.47, 6.45, 6.46)

HR 134/161

Wednesday 26th

Short dead-slow run.

4.05 @9.41

HR 106/118

Thursday 27th

3 miles @MP. Felt reassuringly good on this. Positively the last run of any significance before...

3m @7.18 (7.14, 7.17, 7.24)

HR 132/147

Friday 28th

Rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

davedanon wrote: »
    Friday 28th

Rest

Still loads of time left in the day to get in a solid MP session :pac:

All the best Dave, hope it goes well on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Good luck on Sunday. Hopefully we'll be matching strides for a good a bit of the way.

Good luck on Sunday. Hopefully we'll be matching strides for a good a bit of the way.

All the way! Best of luck to you too.

Saturday 28th

Got my dates right wrong again, innit. 25 minute pre-marathon jog, dead slow. Blowy today, hopefully things calm down by tomorrow, as is predicted. The weather looks likely to be ideal, so there's no excuses. Training has gone well, there are no injury issues. So I'm quietly confident.

2.68 @9.51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Just in case coach hasn't passed on his pep talk - "DFIU" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck tomorrow, have a fab run.

Saturday 28th

20-odd minute jog.

2.68 @9.52

HR 131

Sunday 29th

Dublin City Marathon. Went into this with high hopes of a first decent outing since 2012 (!) , when I broke 3:20 for the first time. That was a memorable day, and I still remember the feeling of exultation crossing that line, with 3:19:xx showing on the big race clock. You would endure many a bad day for that feeling every once in a while. 5 years is pushing it though.

Sad to say, unfortunately, it was not to be, yet again. At 14.5 miles I stepped off the course in Walkinstown village. That's where the OH is from, and I knew the local roads well enough. I could plot a route back to town without coming too close to the race. I didn't want to see or speak to anyone connected with this damn event. I just wanted to go home, climb into bed and pull the covers over my head for a long time. A combination of a chill wind (conditions were bloody perfect for running, dammit, let's face it) and the knowledge that every minute that passed brought an increased likelihood of encountering clubmates fresh off marathon pb's had me jogging back to town after only a short while. Got back just before 12 noon, and promptly ran into Krusty, followed by two clubmates. They had both pb'd with 2:49 - 'A' target achieved.

At this stage, my mood had mellowed enough that I was willing to countenance a few brain-numbing pints in McGrattan's. Unlikely to meet any TAC heads in there anyway. After a while I found myself being advised to A) run another marathon very soon because I "hadn't flogged myself" by Krusty's OH ("she's not very tactful", sighed he) and then B) being recruited for Krusty's Big 2018 Rotterdam Adventure ("we're all training for 2:27!!!"). All of which just goes to illustrate yet again the triumph of hope over experience. But first, I needed to understand what had just happened. If such was possible.

For the first 10 miles, despite being unable to bridge the gap to the 3.10 pacing balloons up ahead, I was bang-on pace at an average of 7.15 per mile. From what I can tell, furthermore, there was only 2 balloons - either the third balloon or its owner had disappeared - and for a while I laboured under the misapprehension that the third one might be behind me, and I was therefore still in the pacing 'box'. As the gap lengthened, though, I realised my error.

The 10 mile point is just after Chapelizod bridge, where the road starts to climb, and signals the beginning of the drags that last until the Walkinstown roundabout. Very quickly my pace slowed, even though my half-time was 1:36:xx, until mile 13 took me 8 minutes 52 seconds to negotiate. I struggled up Crumlin road, unable to comprehend what was happening to me. I had prepared so well. 12 miles @MP - no problem. Here it was, Race Day, and I was in big, big trouble. Unwelcome thoughts invaded my consciousness all of a sudden, and like an earworm, they are very hard to dislodge. There was 12 MILES left to go. Could I contemplate the suffering that was going to involve. The A, B AND C goals were all out the window, quite evidently. I reckon I would have ended up running about 3:30, had I kept going.

Then, just ahead of me, a guy stopped running, and it seemed to enable me. I stopped running too. I did say that everything had been going well, and that all the signs - weather. etc - were propitious. But there was one odd thing. My hamstrings and glutes had been really giving me gyp all race, and this was unusual. It wasn't painful or crippling enough to prevent me running, but it didn't help. Anyway, it gave me an 'excuse' to stop and try and do something about it, so after a bit of desultory stretching I got going again.

It didn't last long. As previously mentioned, the demons were in my head, and busily plotting how to get me back to town as quickly as possible. I started looking for suitable places to decamp. Barriers all the way past the Children's hospital. Feck that. The village. No way was I going up that drag to the roundabout. The race streamed up Walkinstown Road. I took the first left up Balfe Rd. instead.

My race was over.

PS: One other thing. The day before the race I realised that I was coming down with a cold. It's not an excuse. I believe it had no effect on my performance, but the sniffles persisted for a day or two after, before going away again. Odd. By sheer coincidence, though, I was due in the doctor's yesterday for check-up and bloods, so, possibly, they may reveal something that might account for what happened on Sunday. We shall see.

Week's mileage 36

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Do you have HRM data? Last year when I made a vey similar b0ll0x of DCM, afterwards I discovered that my heart-rate was through the roof for the race (way higher than a much faster HM a month prior) which in retrospect was probably down to a very inconveniently timed cold.

Best of luck with Rotterdam :)

Singer wrote: »
    Do you have HRM data? Last year when I made a vey similar b0ll0x of DCM, afterwards I discovered that my heart-rate was through the roof for the race (way higher than a much faster HM a month prior) which in retrospect was probably down to a very inconveniently timed cold.

Best of luck with Rotterdam :)

Nah, seems to be disappointingly normal.

30th-31st

No running. Sunk in gloom.

Wednesday 1st November

Short back on the horse run.

3.03 @8.23

HR 123/135

Thursday 2nd

Systems check.

7 @8.28

HR 140 (spiking, unlikely Max)

Friday 3rd

Same as yesterday. 4x35 sec hill sprints to finish.

7.42 @8.27

HR 122/150

Saturday 4th

Slightly hungover Howth trail/road/pier run. Bloody cold too.

5.46 @9.12

HR 119/141

Sunday 5th

Rest

Week's mileage 23

Monday 6th

7 miles @8.32

HR 117/149

Tuesday 7th

6x300m, wu and cd. Done at mile pace from a couple of years back, for some reason. Just a bit of snappy stuff with an eye on a parkrun this weekend.

1.16 @5.30

HR 136/166. Peaked on the third rep, then seemed to settle in around a max of about 150 thereafter.

Wednesday 8th

Rest

Thursday 9th

6.3 @8.17

HR 134

Friday 10th

Easy run, with half a dozen short strides to finish.

6.13 @8.34

HR 126

Saturday 11th

Tymon parkrun. Perfect running weather, cool, damp, virtually windless. A tight group of about 6 formed after the first turn and we tackled the drag. The pace got a bit hot for me, and I dropped back a little, becoming involved in a little three-way battle instead, while a trio of faster chaps strung themselves out over a hundred metres or so. One big chap wouldn't countenance anyone passing him, and surged whenever I did so. I figured that myself and the third chap, who wore a DCM finisher's top (and was, inevitably, from BP) and looked comfortable enough, would probably burn him off. On we went, and sure enough the big chap found that another surge was beyond him, and it was just two - or so I thought. On the 2nd lap the big lad came back again, and this time it was him and the other guy who dropped me, and seemed to work together thereafter. I was blowing at this stage, and mentally I was just hanging on, hoping that all this effort was worth a sub-20 run at the very least.

At some point I accepted that I had no chance of catching either of them, and also began worrying that someone might catch me, which was enough motivation to pick up the pace to some degree after the last left turn at the stone bridge. Hitting the finish line, I was handed a token with the number 8 on it, and made my way to the nearest solid object (a wall) for the now traditional post-parkrun dry-retching. If there's no other reason to skip breakfast, this will do well enough. 19:46 on the clock and I'm happy enough. I plan to be back next week to improve on it. D....., my BP friend who finished 7th (the big lad knew what he was doing after all) tells me his DCM yielded a 3:50 finish off a 3:45 target. And he can run a 19:40 5k? Some serious sandbagging there. I tell him he'll knock chunks off next time out.

3.09 @6.24 (19:46)

HR 162/174

Sunday 12th

Rest

Week's mileage 32

• Advertisement

Monday 13th

Easy run on local loops.

6 @8.49

HR 125/140

Tuesday 14th

8x300m @5k pace. Done in the park, mostly on level or slightly downhill sections. A little slower than I had expected, probably because I couldn't figure out how to change distance unit on the watch, so ended up with 0.2m intervals - 322 metres.

6.12, 6.05, 6.12, 6.04, 6.19, 6.14, 5.58, 6.20 (av 6.10)

HR 130/162

Wednesday 15th

Trail run around Howth. Four miles or so, very easy. No watch with me.

Thursday 16th

Rest

Friday 17th

Slightly longer run. Feeling fresh after day off.

8.57 @8.21

HR 125. (If there's only one figure, it's the average, because there has been an unlikely spike giving an incorrect Max figure)

Saturday 18th

Tymon parkrun. A little better prepared this week, and I ran from the house which gave me a longer (2.5 mile) warm up. It looked chilly, but in the end the hat and gloves weren't needed for the actual racing. I felt reasonably good, until some, er, stomach problems presented themselves at 9:20pm. Erk alors! A quick trip to the bushes later and I was at the startline, but most definitely not shaking anyone's hand.

A certain regular first-finisher was in attendance, and although he assured me he was 'only going easy', I knew him well enough to take that with a large pinch of salt. His idea of easy and mine are two entirely different concepts. Someone else seemed to be taken in, however - none other than my BP friend from last week, who went shooting up along the grass verge onto K.E's shoulder, and I could hear them chatting as we headed up the long drag for the first time.

I was being a bit more conservative this week, as my splits had been quite uneven last time out, and I was aiming for 3 miles at 6.20 pace or thereabouts. I found myself trailing along behind a clubmate who ran 20 and change last week, some big chap who looked like his size would tell against him, and DF, a doughty competitor who despite his age bracket (60+) was I knew good for a decent sub-20 run. My clubmate dropped back, as I knew he would have to, the big guy couldn't stay with the pace, and it was just me and the oul' fella.

Into the second half, and I had opened up a little gap. He wasn't going away though, but I felt that I could even afford to let him catch me, as I was fairly confident I could take him on the run-in. I was familiar with his running through encounters in the park, and had noted that he always seemed to go hard. I never saw him running easy. Impressive as it was (and it is. A sub-20 for him rates 82% age-graded - I've never cracked 80%) I had the feeling that he was one-paced. It's asking a lot to expect a kick from a man of his vintage, I suppose.

Sure enough, he slowly but gamely made up the few metres between us, then took a short lead. We were into the last mile now, and it's fast. At the stone bridge you veer left, and though it was too far from the line to go all-out, I upped the pace and overtook my game friend. No noticeable response. It was now that I noticed my BP friend up ahead. Not all that far ahead, in fact. With about 150m to go I knew it was now or never, and gave it everything I had. If he had anything left at all it might be enough to hold me off, but his first (6 minute) mile was telling on him now, and I swept past him with only 20m or so to go.

Hit the tape, try to keep stomach contents (1 espresso!) down, recover. Get everything scanned, and I've finished 5th, later upgraded to 4th. My friend comes over and we chat. To be fair, he's knocked a second off his time from last week, but my time has improved by 9 whole seconds. Once again happy with performance. Next week it's the Berlin of parkruns, St. Anne's in Raheny, final preparation for the sub-19 attempt at the Jingle Bells.

3.1 @6.19 (19.37)

Splits 6:24, 6:34, 6:13

HR 160/169

Sunday 19th

Easy run.

6.1 @8.31

HR 126/145

Week's mileage 40

Monday 20th

Easy run.

7.12 @8.30

HR 131

Tuesday 21st

3x1m@5k pace. Run on local loops. Nasty headwind in one direction.

6.25, 6.16, 6.11

HR 136/165

Wed/Thu/Fri

No running. Work and ******mas season onset to blame.

Saturday 25th

The planned parkrun wasn't to be (see above for excuse reason). 10 mile run a poor substitute.

10.01 @8.08

HR 129/144

Sunday 26th

Easy run. Baltic early doors. Full cold-weather w****r here - tights, hat, gloves.

6@8.48

HR 125

Week's mileage 29

Monday 27th

Easy run.

8.19 @8.39

HR 125

Tuesday 28th

3 m tempo, wu/cd.

6.46, 6.51, 6.47

HR 140

Wednesday 29th

Easy run.

6.01 @8.48

HR 126

Thursday 30th

Rest

Friday 1st December

Rest

Saturday 2nd

Jingle Bells 5k. A last tilt at a sub-19 5k before the year petered out. Perfect running conditions in the park on Saturday morning, so, no excuses. I wasn't completely convinced that I was in the required shape, however, and so it proved, as although in the initial stages a glance at the watch revealed a current, too fast, pace of 5.45, the needed slowdown went too far in the opposite direction and resulted in a 6.13 first mile. Mile 2 was a little slower at 6.20, but the gains in JB are all in the last downhill third. At about this stage I was overtaken by a teammate who was showing his suspected class in a big way. It was both a case of strength on his part and weakness on mine, as instead of pulling back time on the downhill stretch, I was blowing quite a bit, and basically just hanging on. I have run sub-19 3 or 4 times in this race, usually achieved by dint of a sub-6 last mile, but this day I wasn't up to it, and finished with a 6.06 for a 19.07 result. Happy enough? Meh.

5k @ 6.09 (19.07)

HR 163/173

Sunday 3rd

3.24 miles. Jog down to Intermediate xc in Tymon and back again.

Week's mileage 30

Monday 4th

Rest

Tuesday 5th

Rest/inertia

Wednesday 6th

Easy run.

8.13 @9.25

HR 121

Thursday 7th

3m tempo run. Run around the local flat loop.

6.49, 6.54, 6.41

HR 129/159

Friday 8th

Short and easy.

4.5 @8.31

HR 124/137

Saturday 9th

Rest

Sunday 10th

'Long' run. Quite brisk.

10 @7.45

HR 142/161

Week's mileage 29

Monday 11th

Easy run.

9.01@8.57

HR 124

Tuesday 12th

4x1m@10k pace. 2 min rec. A solo effort. Set the watch up for an interval session, so had no real idea of pace. I could have started pressing buttons to find out, but I was too busy gasping for breath.

6.40, 6.28, 6.24, 6.27

HR 139/166

Wednesday 13th

Recovery run. A miserable evening. Cold, dank and wet. Nice run though.

8.47 @9.14

HR 126

• Advertisement

Thursday 14th

6x1m@MP was the suggested session, but I had a mind to do a parkrun, so was happy enough to cap it at 4. Run on the flat loop at the back of the house.

4x1m@MP (7.13, 7.24, 7.15, 7.15)

HR 131/150

Friday 15th

Easy run.

7.09 @9.06

HR 128

Saturday 16th

Tymon parkrun, incorporating easy run with clubmates. In hindsight, 7 miles was possibly a little too much warmup for me, given my subsequent performance. It was a cold morning, and patches of frost around the start area prompted the RD to move the startline forward. The result was that the Finish line was now closer to the old startline, with a loooong, punishing-looking run-in. Speaking to Rob afterwards, and he let on that he had erred on the generous side with his measuring, by at least 50 metres. This was to prove significant for a clubmate, who despite a heavy schedule (17 miles the day before) ended up duelling it out with the ageless Dessie, while I toiled behind, unable to find any zip in my legs. I finished in 20.20, good enough for 7th place. I did manage to pip my other clubmate, though, who was struggling a bit with an achilles problem. The other chap finished in 20.04 - which almost certainly would have given him a legitimate sub-20 but for the inadvertent course extension.

The irony is that a timing error a couple of weeks back had given him an official sub-20, despite him clocking 20.07 on his garmin. We had actually been discussing the topic on our warmup run (the chap in question wasn't with us), and the situation had been clarified for me by someone saying "no, he didn't break 20, because he came in behind yer man from BP, the pacer". "Ah", I said, "that's Ray. Yeah, I know him".

Whereupon the man himself appeared. And again, a little while later. And once more, before we arrived at the parkrun staging area. With cooldown it was a 12 mile session, so the long run box also got ticked.

5k @6.33 (20.20)

Sunday 17th

Easy run. A big jump in mileage this week, and target reached.

6.17 @8.43

HR 120/133

Week's mileage 60

Monday 18th

Rest

Tuesday 19th

5x1k@10k pace.

3.52, 3.56, 3.54, 4.07, 3.58

HR 132/157

Wednesday 20th

Easy run.

10.05 @8.57

HR 118/134

Thursday 21st

Rest

Friday 22nd

4x1 miles @HMP.

6.39, 6.56, 6.44, 6.51

HR 140/161

23rd/24th

Rest

Week's mileage 25

Monday 25th

GOAL Mile.

6 minutes, maybe a bit less.

Tuesday 26th

TAC Kris Kringle race.

2.66 @6.41

HR 154/173

Wednesday 27th

Rest

Thursday 28th

Easy run on the Curragh. Beautiful morning too.

8.18 @8.54

HR 121/141

Friday 29th

Easy run.

5.17 @8.44

HR 122

Saturday 30th

Floundering a bit lately, in terms of of goals, so went out today thinking vaguely of some kind of session. A 4 mile tempo seemed satisfactory, but when the first mile came in at 7.01, I just stopped, and thereafter it became an interval session. After mile 2 I wanted to quit altogether, but kept going somehow and the splits got better.

4x1mile.

7.02, 7.00, 6.40, 6.31

HR 127/162

Sunday 31st

TAC New Year's Eve waterworks run.

10.7 miles

Week's mileage 37

Monday 1st January 2018

Happy New Year. No running.

Tuesday 2nd

5 mile tempo @HMP. Horrendous weather, if I recall.

6.48, 6.57, 7.11, 7.17, 7.00

HR 141/163

Wednesday 3rd

Rest

Thursday 4th

3x1k/8x assorted hill-sprints/1k @5k pace.

Roughly 6.10 pace.

HR 129/163

Friday 5th

5 miles @8.40

HR 118/133

Saturday 6th

Rest

Sunday 7th

Dublin Masters xc. A crisp, sunny day in Raheny, but the wind blew relentlessly. Ran ok, but wilted a little from the 3rd lap on, and finished 4th scorer on the oul' fella team. We were 6th overall, which is respectable.

6k 27.01

HR 159/172

Week's mileage 25

Monday 8th

Easy run. Up to the waterworks in the dark.

10.03 @8.56

HR 122

Tuesday 9th

6x800. Done with the legend JT and a couple of noobs. They both wilted after one rep. Average 3.10 for the 6.

HR 148/168

Wednesday 10th

Easy hour.

7.24 @8.45

HR NA

Thursday 11th

Easy run. Didn't feel up to a session after xc and track during the week.

5.06 @8.59

HR 113/131

Friday 12th

Easy run.

5.64 @8.43

HR 120/136

Saturday 13th

BHAA XC Tymon Park. Not much evidence of the hoped-for improvement from the previous week.

3.92 @7.13 (28.16)

HR NA

Sunday 14th

Long run. 12 miler up to Waterworks gate.

12.6 @8.32

HR 126/140

Week's mileage 55

Monday 15th

Rest

Tuesday 16th

Trail run from Marlay park up into hills.

9.16m

HR 125/150

Wednesday 17th

Rest

Thursday 18th

Brisk, longish run.

10.01 @8.00

HR 137/151

Friday 19th

Rest

Saturday 20th

Cherryfield XC. Another so-so performance, on a very mucky course.

5m 37.04

HR 155/162

Sunday 21st

10m long run. On club lockup so cut it slightly short. Horrendous weather, absolutely teeming down the whole time.

10.01 @8.40

HR 127/143

Week's mileage 38

Monday 22nd

Easy recovery run through Tymon.

7.08 @9.18

HR 116/135

Tuesday 23rd

Easy run, no session.

7.63 @8.28

HR 124/137

Wednesday 24th

8.34 @8.38

wu/cd and 10x90secs/90 secs recovery. 6:50-7:00 pace. Did these in the park, which made it a little more difficult to hit the proper pace. The reps ranged between 6:27 to 7:05, with the average about 6:42

HR 127/154

Thursday 25th

Rest

Friday 26th

Easy run in the park.

8.01@8.42

HR 122/147*

Saturday 27th

Early start with the long run boys. Waterworks route, turned at gate and came back by Kiltipper route.

7.08 @8.46

HR 124/139

Sunday 28th

Raheny 5. It's always in and around it, but this year my birthday and the '5' did actually finally coincide. Just as well I didn't run well enough for silverware in my new age category so, as my change in status wasn't acknowledged in the results. It was a good day for running: mild, but a little blowy. However, the new route (of which I approve) meant that we avoided most of the dreaded Howth road drag/headwind combo. Please to retain this new configuration, RS peeps.

Despite jumping in right at the front, I somehow managed to find myself well back in the crowd at the gun, and paid for it with a very slow start which cost me at least 15 seconds over the first mile (6.40). It's a moot point whether I could have hung on to all of those seconds, however. Meanwhile, I think I'm Tallaght's backmarker as we stream down All Saints towards Watermill, but as we negotiate the new route section I establish my normal place in the running order. Miles 2 and 3 are solid 6:30s and along the way I pass my one real target today - a clubmate who's had the better of me over the xc muck the last couple of weeks. That'll do as a birthday present to myself.

At the end of mile 3 we're about to enter the park near the Red Stables, and I'm happy enough with my progress. I feel I've something left in the tank and not totally gassed as I often am on this stretch. I've no-one in sight in front of me, however, and nothing coming from the rear, so there's no incentive to really push. Not that there's necessarily any extra capacity there.

Heading up the main avenue towards the hairpin and mile 4 (6.50), and I can feel the pace dropping a little. Then we hit the turn, and some guys in front of me slow to a virtual standstill. It's a struggle picking up the pace again, but there's less than a mile to go now, and it's a case of hanging on as best one can. Through the park and back out onto All-Saints. Counting down the corners now, and after the penultimate, I pick up my pace, then drive on with all my might down the finishing stretch. I pick off a couple, but one or two guys do just enough to stay in front, and I cross the line with the race announcer and the clock both telling me it's 33-something....that doesn't seem right (or fair!) and after a few minutes I realise that my starting position has added a lot to my gun time. I make it 32.45, and sure enough that is eventually confirmed in the official results.

Beforehand I had estimated that a sub-33 time would represent a decent effort, so I am reasonably happy, and I had revenge for xc defeats on 2 clubmates, as it turned out.

5 @6.33 (32:45)

HR 156/170

Week's mileage 48

Monday 29th

Short, very easy.

5 @9.10

HR 118/130

Tuesday 30th

Easy run.

6.02 @8.40

HR 122/132

Wednesday 31st

6x3 min @ 6.40 pace (75 rec) , 4 min break, 4x30 sec hard (1 min rec) wu/cd

Roughly approximate to 800s, but the time-based interval has a slightly different dynamic. Average probably 6.35 pace. The 30sec intervals aren't timed, but I aimed at a moderately-stro7g 200m effort.

HR 127/154

Thursday 1st February

Easy run.

7.72 @8.37

HR 126/139

Friday 2nd

Long run. Done out and back on the Waterford Greenway. Finished strongly with a 7.23, partly because the OH was (I imagined) waiting impatiently for me back at the start. Hence the HR.

12.06 @8.16

HR 125/155

Saturday 3rd

Rest

Sunday 4th

Rest

Week's mileage 38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck in Donadea, DFIU as himself says.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck in Donadea, DFIU as himself says.

Cheers, but it didn't happen in the end. Was only a training spin anyway.

Monday 5th

Easy recovery, with a couple of sneaky 400s on the track at the end.

6.35 @9.10

HR 121/150

Tuesday 6th

5x800@3.10/90 rec. Meant to be 6x, but was feeling a little fatigued.

In my mind these were more or less on the money, but the stats say an average pace of 6.07, which would be a little quick.

HR 145/162

Wednesday 7th

Easy recovery.

7.10 @9.12

HR 120/139

Thursday 8th

Easy run.

7 @8.31

HR 128/149

Friday 9th

12x40sec hill sprints/90 rec. Done on the hill opposite the Speaker Conolly, on the long side, which has a fairly consistent incline and is perfect for the required interval. Pace not really relevant, 5k-ish but more about controlled effort and maintaining form and cadence (in my humble opinion)

HR 123/155

Saturday 10th

Long run up to Waterworks. Nearly always the most satisfying run of the week.

12.06 @8.45

HR 128/148

Sunday 11th

A desultory few miles to round out a 7 day week and hit 50 to boot.

4.29 @8.46

HR 123/132

Week's mileage 50

• Advertisement

Monday/Tuesday 12/13th

Rest. After me getting coach to change the plan because I was likely to run 7 days most weeks, and then I miss two days running due to birthday and work stuff.

Wednesday 14th

3x800@3.10/4x600@2.20/3x400@1.35 - 90 rec throughout. An interesting session. Wishing to time the recoveries properly, I decided to set up three separate interval sessions on the Garmin, as it doesn't allow you to vary the distances on its interval feature. Then I managed to make a dog's dinner of it, as I couldn't be bothered changing the units from imperial to metric, and buggered up the distances.

3x800 3:11, 3:11, 3:13

4x600 broadly in line I think, can't figure out stats

3x400 1:35, 1:34, 1:32

HR 140/161

Thursday 15th

Easy run.

8.01 @8.32

HR 125/146

Friday 16th

12x40secs hill sprints/90 rec. As last week, opposite Speaker for these. Limited time available, so a truncated warmup and cooldown. Nasty headwind too. Again, all about the effort here.

HR 126/151

Saturday 17th

Long(ish) run. At an event in Croke Park the previous night, so I ended up running in to collect the car. Went the length of the Dodder as far as Ringsend, then over the East Link and up East Wall and Clonliffe roads.

10.56@8.34

HR 122/136

Sunday 18th

Rest. Completely forgot about family event. Running aborted.

Week's mileage 32

Monday 19th

Easy recovery.

6.61 @9.18

HR 118/129

Tuesday 20th

3x400, 4x300, 4x200. 75 rec. Targets 1.28/1.06/44 secs. Cunningly ran in one continuous chunk on the Garmin, which made it look like 2 miles at 5.35 pace. Even so, it was too fast. The 400s were fine, but I was definitely too hot on the 3's and 2's. A product of anxiety, rather than Wow These Are No Problem To Me.

HR 128/158

Wednesday 21st

Easy recovery.

7.07 @8.55

HR 120/144

Thursday 22nd

Easy run. Doing a parkrun on Saturday, so no 2nd session this week.

7.62 @8.47

HR 120/140

Friday 23rd

Short easy run. Think I ran with the new husky. Contrary to popular belief, a big strong dog that loves to run seems to still slow one down overall. When it came to a hill and I wanted him to drag me up it he wouldn't play ball, but he did pull me downhill unnecessarily.

4.68 @9.09

HR 127

Saturday 24th

Tymon parkrun, incorporated into 12 mile long run. Not having raced (on road) since the Raheny 5, I prevailed upon coach to let me run a parkrun tester/fact-finding mission. Just to establish a baseline for comparison purposes. I promised not to look at the watch, and I only did once, just to check pace. Also, it turned out that BP didn't have a 20 minute pacer in attendance, plus none of the usual sub-20 suspects (Dessie, Jack) were around, so that all helped in terms of me not knowing what pace I was running at. After a 3 mile warm-up, and a few strides, we set off and a group of 4 broke away fairly quickly, followed by two chaps and myself. The intention was to ease my way into the distance with a comfortable 1st mile. Ideally, in my mind, a 6.30/6.20/6.10 progression would give me a nice sub-20 run. The 6.30 duly ensued, but evidently I slowed a fair bit on mile 2, with a 6.50. I had put the 2 fellas behind me fairly quickly, but one was still chasing me hard - or so I thought. Footsteps approached, then receded, then came again, harder this time. I knew I couldn't hold him off, but lo, it turned out to be a woman. I tried to hang on to her coattails, but she eventually built up a 30 metre lead. We were on the last mile now with the drag negotiated for the last time, and now one of the pursuing chaps did make an appearance and overhauled me with 1000 metres to go. Well now, I said to myself. We're a long way out, pal. I hope you've got something left: because I've got something left. Over the stone bridge and a left turn, and that's where you show your hand. I pushed on, and he wasn't expecting the challenge. It was too much of a challenge running the first woman down, and anyway I was blowing a fair bit. The last mile was 6.17 and I crossed the line in 7th for an official time of 20.25

Afterwards I jogged around for another 6 miles to get 12 in. Big club 40th to go to later.

3.1 @6.34 (20.25)

HR 150/165

Sunday 25th

Easy recovery. Wasn't sure what I was up for. Had 2 dogs with me for one thing, one of whom stayed tethered to me the whole time. In the end managed to stay out for 7+ miles to get me 50 for the week.

7.24 @9.41

HR 112/127

Week's mileage 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What’s a too-fast 300 and 200 for you, as a matter of interest?

Murph_D wrote: »
    What’s a too-fast 300 and 200 for you, as a matter of interest?

Sorry, Murph. Missed this. Erm, I think the targets were 1.06 and 44 seconds, and I was 2-3 seconds fast on both.

Monday 26th

Easy 6.

6.02 @9.13

HR 120

Tuesday 27th

Track session. 3x (4,3,2,1 mins) @6.40 - 90 secs recovery, 3 mins between sets. Moved up from Thursday as a trip to Kerry for some mountain-climbing had been planned, but, the Beast was on its way to mess up everyone's plans.

Set 1 6.43, 6.38, 6.41, 6.17
    Set 2 6.35, 6.40, 6.39, 6.31
    Set 3 6.47, 6.48, 6.34, 6.20

HR 136/156

Wednesday 28th

Easy run, probably in the first of the snow.

5.22 @9.43

HR 115

Thursday 1st March

Snowed in

Friday 2nd

Awful, slushy run on any roads that were runnable, including Tallaght bypass!

4.25 @9.28

HR 135

Saturday 3rd

Conditions a bit better. Still on the roads though. A few nippy miles in there.

6.07 @8.17

HR 127/152

Sunday 4th

No running

Week's mileage 31

Monday 5th

Easy run.

5.16 @9.30

HR 122

Tuesday 6th

6.12 @8.29

HR 120/137

Wednesday 7th

Road session. 3x (5,4,3 mins) @6.40 - 90 secs recovery, 4 mins between sets. Tough session this.

Set 1 6.36, 6.46, 6.27
    Set 2 6.43, 6.38, 6.30
    Set 3 6.39, 6.33, 6.28

HR 127/155

Thursday 8th

Rest

Friday 9th

7.06 @8.45

HR 124/137

Saturday 10th

Track session. 5x1200 @1.35 per lap (4.45). 2 mins recovery. At least, that's what I felt I was capable of, at most, despite coach's more optimistic target of "4.30-ish".

4.49, 4.46, 4.46, 4.44, 4.40

HR 141/168

Sunday 11th

Long run. A pretty weary one too, after the previous day's session

12.48 @8.54

HR 123/140

Week's mileage 49

Monday 12th

Recovery run.

5.05 @9.14

HR 115

Tuesday 13th

Easy run.

7.02 @8.31

HR 122/136

Wednesday 14th

Track session. 10x400 @1.35 - 45 secs recovery. Done in hideous conditions; wind and freezing, driving rain. Character-building stuff.

1.37, 1.35, 1.35, 1.33, 1.35, 1.35, 1.34, 1.36, 1.34, 1.32

HR 125/162

Thursday 15th

6.01 @8.51

HR 118/129

Friday 16th

20 minute run with 4x20sec strides.

3.08 @ 8.27

HR 121

Saturday 17th

Portlaoise 5k. A reasonable run in chilly, blustery conditions.

19.50 chip time

HR 151/163

Week's mileage 34

Sunday 18th

Left out of previous post. No running.

Monday 19th

Easy run. Accompanied by a dog, IIRC. I think this explains why the pace was a bit hot. I was going very easy, but he wasn't.

7.05 @8.27

HR 125/143

Tuesday 20th

Easy run.

8.81 @8.33

HR 119/133

Wednesday 21st

Pyramid session. 1,2,3,4,3,2,1 @6.40 w 90 rec. 2min between 3&4.

Paces 5.54/6.35/6.41/6.35/6.38/6.31/6.21

HR 130/156

Thursday 22nd

No running.

Friday 23rd

No running.

Saturday 24th

Tymon parkrun (officially sanctioned)

Wanted to run Tymon again to get an accurate measure of the improvement since my last go there. That turned out to be about 4 seconds per mile, after a month of training and a 'proper' 5k race. Not bad, but I probably got a little carried away on the first mile. A small sub-20 might have been possible had I raced more sensibly. Probably not fully recovered after last week's race at my vintage, either. Afterwards carried on for another 6 miles with club buddy to get long run in as well. This wasn't officially sanctioned.

7th in 20.12 (6.28 pace according to watch)

HR 157/166

Sunday 25th

Easy run.

8.09 @8.49

HR 122

Week's mileage 44

Monday 26th

Short very easy run.

5 @8.50

HR 119/134

Tuesday 27th

Easy run.

7.23 @8.57

HR 120/138

Wednesday 28th

Original session 400s, but having twanged an already stiff hamstring after almost tripping on a run, coach switched me to a progression run - 10mins @7.15/7.10/7.00

10@7.14
    10@7.18
    11@6.56

HR 137/162

Thursday 29th

No running

Friday 30th

10k Steady (7.45) Found it hard to hit the required pace. Felt like I wasn't moving very well, and was overly aggressive as a result.

6.2 miles @7.34

HR 140

Saturday 31st

No running

Sunday 1st April

3 mile shakeout, 800m @ race pace

3.18 @8.00

inc. 800m @6.53

HR 130/157

Week's mileage 30

• Advertisement

Monday 2nd

Leinster 10 mile Championship. Very different performance, same result. By this stage last year, I had already broken 90 minutes in a half-marathon and hadn't missed a day's running since Christmas day, by the time this race came around. I ran 1:06:30, only a few seconds off my pb, and we took home the 0-50 team Gold. This year I was in nothing like the same kind of shape. On the other hand, we had a substantially stronger team. Two members were the same, but the replacement for the third could be relied on to run a 62 minute 10 miler.

As G said to me beforehand, "all we have to do is break 70, let's face it". So the 62 minute performance duly arrived, and G himself ran 64-something. As for me, well, the time was nothing special, and in previous years I would have fretted and scolded myself for running barely the right side of 69 minutes. I have learned to be humble, however, or at least realistic, and I knew that while it wasn't a great time, it was an honest effort, and just about as much as I could manage on the day.

The weather was pretty horrible in Raheny, cold, and windy to boot. Not a good day for racing by any means. If I made any tactical mistakes, it was in the first couple of miles, when a tight group of 5 TAC athletes formed and ran 6.36 and 6.38 - bang on G's pre-race assertion that he was going out at 6.40 pace, but as I had said at the time, probably a bit quick for me. That didn't stop me sticking with the group, though, to my eventual cost.

The first little climb back up from the first crossing of the river did for me, with the lads streaming up unconcerned, me huffing and puffing and dropping ever so slightly off. When the nasty wind hit us full-on along the exposed xc section at the seafront, the gap widened. I settled down and tried to maintain a steady pace, but when you run a 7.11 after a 6.38, your pacing has to be called into question. Thereafter it was a case of hanging on, and trying to run smoothly.

By the closing stages I was pretty well done, and praying for the finish line. There was the even bloody longer than before finishing straight to negotiate, though, and as usual I attempted to finish strongly, overtaking one competitor at least, well, two, but he rallied and took me on the line. That was a hell of a long run-in. I was on my knees at the finish, dry-heaving. At least I didn't suffer the indignities that befell the coach, who let's say attracted the attention of his teammates while similarly suffering.

Oh, and I nearly forgot. We retained our crown. As did our senior team. A double double.

10m @6.53 (1.08.55)

HR 151/165

Tuesday 3rd

Easy run.

5.28 @8.39

HR 130

Wednesday 4th

Bog-standard run.

7.01 @8.21

HR 125

Thursday 5th

Same. Plus a few strides.

7 @8.27

HR 123/142

Friday 6th

Short very easy.

5.07 @9.15

HR 115/131

Saturday 7th

Session. 3x(4,3,2,1 mins) @6.30 pace. 90 secs recovery. Three minutes between sets. Done with a clubmate who's outstripped me of late, which means it was me getting the most benefit from the company. Good hard session, done unusually early on a Saturday morning, so all out of the comfort zone. Again a good thing imo. 10+ mile session.

Set 1 6.30, 6.24, 6.25, 6.13
    Set 2 6.25, 6.27, 6.24, 6.16
    Set 3 6.24, 6.29, 6.19, 6.07

Average pace 6.23

HR 130/163

Sunday 7th

13m long run. Up to waterworks back gate. Beautiful morning for running.

13.42 @8.25

HR 129/149

Week's mileage 60

Monday 8th

Easy recovery. Ish.

6.1 @8.29

HR 128

Tuesday 9th

A second easy run.

7.34 @8.42

HR 123/137

Wednesday 10th

Session. Solo in the park opposite Aherne's. 3x3/4x2/5x1mins @6.15-6.30 75 secs rec. Times a bit varied, probably due to running with/against the wind.

3x3 6.39, 6.20, 6.35 (av 6.31)

4x2 6.12, 6.29, 6.18, 6.38 (6.24)

5x1 6.07, 6.26, 6.06, 6.35, 5.58 (av 6.14)

HR 129/157

Thursday 11th

Easy run and a few strides.

7.05 @8.46

HR 125/149

Friday 13th

Date corrected. D'oh. Easy run.

6.08 @9.02

HR 114/128

Saturday 14th

Tymon parkrun. Had missed the deadline for the GIR, so hence my presence in Tymon park on a lovely Saturday morning. Perhaps a little on the breezy side, but a balmy day after what seemed like about a fortnight of grey, drizzly conditions. I hoped to improve enough on last time out a few weeks back to sneak under 20 minutes, but in the end had to settle for my usual low top-10 finish and a small improvement, to 20:09.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Tymon has been running a bit long for the last while. Since Christmas, all my (4) runs have been logged at 3.12 by the Garmin, whereas it always used to come in at 3:06/3:08.

5k 20.09 (6.28)

HR 154/170

Sunday 15th

Very soggy long run, along the Dodder to Clonskeagh and back. Hamstrings really tight.

13.54 @8.39

HR 123/158(?)

Week's mileage 56

Monday 16th

Very easy short recovery.

5 @8.59

HR 119/135

Tuesday 17th

10x800 @3.25/3.25 alternately. Quite windy on the track.

3.26, 3.34, 3.27, 3.32, 3.26, 3.33, 3.24, 3.35, 3.25, 3.30.

HR 138/158

Wednesday 18th

No running. Circumstances rather than choice, but glad of the break all the same.

Thursday 19th

AM. Easy recovery.
    5.36 @9.09
    HR 130

obviously some residual guilt from yesterday, as this happened:

PM. Another run, with lads from club.
    6.28 @8.28
    HR 122/138

Friday 20th

Pyramid session. 3x90s,3x2m,3x3m,3x2m,3x90s @6.30 - 90s rec throughout.

3x90 6.04, 6.16, 6.46
    3x2 6.16, 6.24, 6.44
    3x3 6.32, 6.38, 6.26
    3x2 6.23, 6.39, 6.18
    3x90 6.11, 6.17, 6.26

HR 134/162

Saturday 21st

Easy recovery.

7.24 @8.58

HR 117/136

Sunday 22nd

Long run. With Berlin just over the horizon, did the Dodder run again. A relatively flat profile, compared to the likes of the Waterworks. Felt a little fatigued, although a lot of that is down to the continuing tightness in the hamstrings. Sorting them out is a priority. Stopped to stretch right calf at Milltown. Had an odd soreness, as though it was about to cramp, after only 5-6 miles. Was nothing in the end though.

13.38 @8.35

HR 125/145

Week's mileage 56

Monday 23rd

Easy recovery.

6.01 @8.49

HR 119/131

Tuesday 24th

Track session. 8x600 @2.20 w 90secs recovery.

2.22, 2.21, 2.20, 2.20, 2.19, 2.19, 2.20, 2.20

HR 131/160

Wednesday 25th

Short very easy recovery.

4.06@9.16

HR 114

Thursday 26th

No running

Friday 27th

6x1k @3.55 - recoveries 2.30/2.00/1.30/1.15/1min

A fiendishly tough session. Increasing tiredness, decreasing recoveries. Loving the variety of challenge in them though.

3.55, 3.46, 3.59, 3.58, 3.52, 4.00

HR 141/166

Saturday 28th

Easy run.

7.02 @8.46

HR 120/148

Sunday 29th

Long run. Up to the waterworks back gate and back. Hammers tightening up again late on.

13.09 @8.22

HR 127

Week's mileage 46

• Advertisement

Monday 30th

Easy recovery run.

6 @8.45

HR 120/140

Tuesday 1st

Session. 800, 3x300, 600, 3x300, 800 @6.15 - 2/1 mins recovery.

800 6.09
    3x300 5.54, 5.51, 6.17
    600 6.11
    3x300 6.00, 6.20, 6.10
    800 6.06

HR 128/153

Wednesday 2nd

Easy run, incorporating track-test of Saucony Endorphins: some strides, and then a road mile on the race course.

7 @9.06

HR 113/136

Thursday 3rd

Easy run. In and around Bushy park, on the way home from work. The hills probably account for the HR. The park was full of runners, including one group of deludeds with what looked like a paid-for trainer, some sort of boot camp job. You can always tell, because the guy had a gym-bunny physique, not a runner's. They're always a walking advertisement for their own superior training technique. He had them running, then doing what they used to call calisthenics, and he was making with the counting down and the exhortation. I ran past for free.

5.33 @8.49

HR 123/145

Friday 4th

No running.

Saturday 5th

Short shakeout with a few strides thrown in.

3.81 @8.44

HR 119/146

Sunday 6th

Tallaght 5k.

One of my early-season targets, along with the Bob Heffernan, before Berlin training kicks in. Knew from early in the week that it would be hot, and so it proved, with the mercury tipping 20℃ by the 12 noon start. I usually run the course for a warmup, but that didn't seem like a good idea in the heat, so took a shortcut back to the club after less than two miles. A few strides beforehand, and then we were counted down by the starter.

It's a classic, three-cornered road route, all left-handers, with the sections roughly categorised in turn as: 1st downhill, 2nd flat and 3rd uphill. But first there is the short section past the club entrance and into Tallaght village for the first left turn, and it's here that some bright spark of a Garda decided to park his car last year, jutting right out into the road at an angle and forcing everyone to take evasive action. Thankfully it was free of such holdups this time though, and my main concern here was keeping the pace up, but not overdoing it. It was very warm, and there seemed to be little breeze to cool anyone off. The first mile, and the second left turn, onto Castletymon road, conveniently coincide, and at 6.09 it's pretty much on the money. I'm feeling ok, and not minding the heat too much. I had hemmed and hawed, but finally decided to keep the baseball cap on, and it helps a little. On the way down main street, I found myself running with two clubmates, and together they constituted a conundrum which made me ask myself if I was running A) too fast, or B) too slow. One guy was setting a pace that his current form didn't justify, as far as I knew anyway, and I reminded myself that it was his habit to go out fast, then fade somewhat. The other chap had come from behind me, I thought, and that was his habit too, but the difference was that he was a low 18 minute man, and this gave me pause, until I remembered that he had been injured, and more than likely hadn't raced a lot.

So we ran along together for a bit, until I started getting a feeling that our speed was, ever so slightly, dropping a little. I concentrated on maintaining the pace, rather than staying in step with the other two, and sure enough, I began to draw ahead a little. I wasn't to know it, because I never looked back once (noticed in hindsight, and probably a good sign) but the injuree (is that even a word?) stayed right there with me, and finished only seconds behind. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The second mile is on the flat on Castletymon road, and it's here that concentration can waver, legs start to give out, and spirits flag as people overtake and draw away. I had little to focus on, no clubmates in the immediate vicinity and no red rags (such as a Bros Pearse singlet!) to get the dander up. I concentrated on keeping my pace up, and although a chap who had been alongside me pulled away a bit, we were both catching other runners, so I was reasonably happy. Mile 2 was a 6.24 but at the time I was completely unaware of that. Along here I overtook a clubmate and fellow age-bracketer. The gutsiest of runners, he came into the race on the back of no form and little training. He didn't look that well, in fact, but here he was ploughing along but fighting a losing battle with his own body. I drew ahead but there was no mental box-ticking or scalp-counting.

But here, what was this? Is it Andy, stopped up ahead??? Yes, the very same. I had thought for sure that these days were over, after his pyrotechnics in Manchester (1.26 Half PB and 3.02 PB IN THE SAME RACE!) and elsewhere. Only last week his RLF (Run Like F*ck - no joke, that's what he does) technique of doing ALL his runs at sub-7.20 pace had yielded an 18.18 3 mile run in training. But, when you then go out and run a 5.40 mile in 20+ degree heat, these things can and will happen. One of our stewards was dousing his head with water, and he looked in bits. I was going to say something encouraging, then thought: "Nah, f*ck him" and carried on. In truth, it was so unexpected that I didn't really process it. I had expected him to run under 18.30, and I wouldn't have been surprised if he now came sprinting past me again. So I didn't let it bother me one way or the other.

Mile 2 becomes mile 3 just before the next turn (did I say it was a classic course? More of you lot need to sign up next time. Not that many club singlets visible bar our own highly-supportive neighbours Bros Pearse and Rathfarnham) and this is a part of the course that can drag on body and spirits - but a lifeline presented itself. Young Sean from Tallaght appeared from behind me and started chivvying me along "C'mon Dave, 19.30 pace. Follow me" and so on. Often these sort of words fall on deaf ears during races, but on this occasion it was just what I needed. I asked the question, and the body responded. Strava shows my pace briefly hitting sub-6 minute pace along here, where I had been bumping along at 6.40-plus. Without his intervention I would not have lifted my pace, and that's a fact.

Mile 3 is a drag. Literally. It's a long gradual climb that saps the strength just when you need it. Frequently it is accompanied by a mean headwind that comes straight off the 'mountains'. Today, little wind, although in this heat that probably counts as a negative as well. Sean is still dragging me along, but all of a sudden he's waving me through. Looks like his goose is cooked. I've got something left though, and with about three quarters of a mile to go I can hack it from here I reckon. The course mercifully flattens out a bit after the Kilnamanagh turn and when you see the big Topaz sign you know it's nearly done.

The track finish is both exhilarating and physically daunting. 350 metres that can seem like 3,500. From a hundred metres out I punch it, and then punch it again with 30 to go (or so I imagine, until I see my son's video - dear God, I look like I'M a hundred) I haven't looked at the watch, nor checked the race clock. I don't know why. In the end it came down to that last surge to get me under, and certainly without Sean's cameo I wouldn't have got near 19.30, but the watch shows 19:28.8, and after myself and Ultraman pose for some flattering face-down-on-the-track post-race photos I recover, and find I am quite pleased with that performance. My quote beforehand had been "sub 19.30 will be a good run today". Next up, Terenure. Oh, and I nearly forgot the shoes. Quite literally. If the test of good tech gear is that you forget all about it during the experience, then these babies are outstanding. I can not think of a single thing to say about them, and that is the highest compliment I can come up with, if that makes any sense at all. I did not think about them once. They were unobtrusive to the point of invisibility. They will be employed again next weekend.

3.1 miles @6.17

6.09, 6.24, 6.22, (5.19)

HR 158/169

Week's mileage 35

Monday 7th

Short easy run.

5.08 @8.54

HR 121/135

Tuesday 8th

2x(1k, 800,600, 400) @6.25 w 90 secs recovery. On the Tallaght track.

1k 6.22, 6.16
    800 6.16, 6.11
    600 6.10, 6.23
    400 5.59, 5.59

HR 132/156

Wednesday 9th

No running

Thursday 10th

This was supposed to be an easy run, but having missed a day, obviously feeling fresher here, and went with the flow.
    8.39 @8.06

HR 133/144

Friday 11th

Shorter easy run.

5.22 @8.35

HR 126/138

Saturday 12th

Tymon parkrun. Run very easy, race on the morrow. Bit of a blast at the very end.

3.14 @8.22

HR 123/160

Sunday 13th

Terenure 5m race.

5@6.28 (32.21)

HR 157/170

Week's mileage 37

Monday 14th

Easy run with clubmates.

6.07 @8.35

HR 126/138

Tuesday 15th

14x300 in 70 sec, 50 sec jog recovery (100m). Done on the track. All within one second, bar the last at 1.08

HR 130/153

Wednesday 16th

No running.

Thursday 17th

Easy short run.

5.03 @9.01

HR 117/129

Friday 18th

6x3 min @ 6.30 (75 sec rec), 4 min jog, 5x30 sec hard (90 sec rec). Another complicated session where one needs to keep one's wits about one.

6.27, 6.36, 6.20, 6.26, 6.27, 6.20 (Av 6.26)
    5.40, 5.44, 5.47, 5.30, 5.27 (Av 5.40)

HR 129/164

Saturday 19th

Long-ish run. On instructions, racing on Tuesday.

10.01 @8.42

HR 121/135

Sunday 20th

No running.

Week's mileage 37

Monday 21st

No running.

Tuesday 22nd

Bob Heffernan 5k. A sweltering evening in Johnstown. Was reasonably pleased with this, had an idea that sub-19 was a little bit of a reach. Gave it everything, and didn't drop too many seconds in the mid-part of the race.

3.1 @6.10 (19.10)

HR 158/169

Wednesday 23rd

Short easy run.

5.03 @8.47

HR 122/138

Thursday 24th

Easy run.

6.13 @8.49

HR 123/144

Friday 25th

2x(1200, 1k, 800, 600, 400) @6.30 - 90 secs recovery, 5 mins between sets.

Was down in Kerry for some climbing, so this was done in Killarney national park, which was conveniently on our hotel doorstep. Oppressively hot and humid, but there was a breeze, which helped but also probably accounted for the slower pace in one direction. A few drinks were had the night before, so possibly not in tip-top condition, but a good honest effort all the same.

1200 - 6.38, 6.29
    1k - 6.37, 6.32
    800 - 6.52, 6.34
    600 - 6.40, 6.44
    400 - 6.33, 6.17

HR 137/167

Saturday 26th

Ascent of Carrauntoohil. A bit rich to log this as a run, but since it was effectively standing in for the long run...

8 and a bit miles in a shade under 5 hours, with 3357ft feet of climbing.

HR 98/156

Sunday 27th

No running.

Week's mileage 34

Monday 28th

Short very easy.

5.04 @8.58

HR 121/138

Tuesday 29th

Easy run.

7.1 @8.42

HR 122/141

Wednesday 30th

8x2mins @6.30, 1 min jog recovery. Planned to do this with a couple of others, but work intervened, so didn't get out onto the planned route at Aherne's until much later in the evening. It had cooled a lot, but was still quite muggy. All this good weather is good acclimatisation for Berlin - although it will probably be miserable come July/August. The flies are a problem. Swarms of the little bastards, and although I haven't swallowed many, I've had them in my eye a couple of times, and it's very offputting. Evidently I found hitting the right pace difficult at times.

6.30, 6.25, 6.04, 6.38, 6.11, 6.35, 6.30, 6.13. (Av 6.23)

HR 143/167

Thursday 31st

Easy run. Not as easy as it should have been, because Crazy Andy.

7.07 @8.23

HR 134/149

Friday 1st June

Easy run. First week, sorta, of marathon training. The official line is that we are segueing gradually into marathon mode, but, you know. I have 16 WEEKS TO GO marked in my calendar and stuff.

8.01 @8.33

HR 125/141

Saturday 2nd

6x5 mins @6.50 with 90 secs jog recovery. A little comprehension fail here, as I misread '90 sec jog' as '90 sec walk', and moreover awarded myself points because I only walked 30 secs and then jogged for a minute. Anyhoo.

6.54, 6.44, 6.46, 6.45, 6.53, 6.43 (Av 6.47)

HR 132/160

Sunday 3rd

14m long run. Majorly hungover which is why I didn't get out to do this until the late afternoon. In my defence I had been on the dry all week. Got extremely hot in the second half of this, run along the Dodder as far as Clonskeagh and back. Very happy with the pace, considering the tough session the day before.

14 @8.14

HR 134/155

Week's mileage 56

• Advertisement
Advertisement