Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool runnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Nice to meet you Dave & well done for toughing it out.
    I don't know who you came across at mile 8 and had what sounds like a right ding dong battle with but it wasn't me!
    I was wondering why you looked at me a bit funny when I asked you how you got on when I met you and TRR afterwards.

you mean that wasn't you that finished just ahead of me? Bloody hell, what am I like.

Haha. Imagine what that guy thought when I came up and shook his hand, calling him Joe. Come to think of it I'm not sure he didn't back away slowly, smiling politely so as not to alarm the psychopath who wanted to be his friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

davedanon wrote: »
    you mean that wasn't you that finished just ahead of me? Bloody hell, what am I like.

Frayed knot

A quick stalk on FB of photos reveals.....completely different colour vests and only a vague resemblance. Jesus, I must have weirded that guy out. He runs for West Limerick. Kevin Kelly, if you're out there, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

I have tried and failed so many times to get near, and beyond, my 1:30:30 of 2011, but it's only recently that I have come to realise that the reason I ran that time, and other pb's at different distances, is that I was inadvertently training for shorter distances than the marathon, without realising. Now that I am doing my marathon training correctly, my shorter distance times naturally suffer. I know others can bang out pb's along the way to a 26.2 effort (TRR being one), but not me. That's just the way it is, I think.

Hi Dave,

First time poster on your log, though I have been lurking around a few to feed off the excitement of the Charleville gang - seemed a lot more buzz about it that the Dublin half.

If it's any consolation to you I have experienced the same thing with race times over the last year or so. I feel fitter than ever, and every race finishes with me feeling I could run several miles further with no problems. I'm taking it as a sign that marathon training is working - DCM will reveal all.

Well done on a great race performance and report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great report and well done. So how do you really feel about pacers ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

A quick stalk on FB of photos reveals.....completely different colour vests and only a vague resemblance. Jesus, I must have weirded that guy out. He runs for West Limerick. Kevin Kelly, if you're out there, my apologies.

Haha! To be fair to you, Kev's bloody nipples almost made the singlet red.

Well done!

Monday 21st

Rest

Tuesday 22nd

Working all day, a bit annoyed at missing a second day, especially since I'm away at the weekend.

Wednesday 23rd

Decided I would do last night's prescribed run. So, a 12 miler it was. Headed down the road and into the park as usual, then turned left instead of right and crossed the two new Dodder bridges. I was running into a reasonably stiff breeze as I headed up towards Aherne's, but I felt quite fresh after two days off. My plan was to run to the back gate of the Bohernabreena waterworks and back, and nice and easy at that, but, truth to tell, even into the wind I was feeling good. The legs felt strong and springy. So good did I feel, that I decided not to stop at the back gate but continue on up around the 'duck loop'. I was running easy the whole time, never putting any stress on the legs or lungs. After I reached the highest point of the run, at the apex of the duck loop, it was all basically downhill back home, and I ran quicker without expending any extra effort. I was quite taken with this development, and the only explanation I could come up with that it was an adaptation to the stress of the Charleville Half 'session'. After two days? I'm happy with that.

12.05 @8.04

Thursday 24th

Although I plan to run while away this weekend, a long run was realistically a non-runner, so that meant it had to happen today. Now I was regretting yesterday's flightiness: that and a snap decision to cut my toenails (I must have been reading the novices' thread). The other Fitzy plan lads were vacillating between a 22-24 run, or a 20 with 8-10 at MP. I decided to plump for for a straight 22. At first I felt fine. Indeed I was grand until, after going around the houses for 6-7 miles before hitting Tymon, I suddenly decided I would attempt some MP miles. I didn't even hit the lap button for exactitude, but I reckon I managed about 4 miles before expiring in a heap. When I got going again I had still done only 13 miles, and now I was seriously tired. Somehow I dragged myself around another circuit of Tymon, and even threw in a few fields, as I knew I was short on miles. 20 was now the revised target, and, when I crossed the M50 bridge with less than a couple to go (and work to be done later) I was looking for me mammy, as Viv O'H would say. Two of the slowest, most pitiful miles ensued, but the 20 got done in the end.

20 @8.35

Friday 25th

En route to Kilkenny. Day off

Saturday 25th

Short easy run.

5.03 @8.54

Sunday 27th

Day off.

A bad week, this. Circumstances made it difficult to get the runs done. Big, big week next week though. I don't want to miss anything.

Weekly total: 37

Monday 28th

5 mile easy run. Nothing to recover from, really, but this week will be tough, so take the easy miles when they're offered.

5.02 @8.39

Tuesday 29th

12 mile run. Company for this, which was nice. Felt quite similar to last week's 12 miler. Little effort needed, breathing minimal. Except that it turned out to be not quite as fast as it felt. But no matter. 6 secs/mile quicker than yesterday and more than twice as long, yet it felt vastly easier.

12.09 @8.33

Wednesday 30th

6 mile recovery. Nothing of note. A ronseal run.

6.01 @9.06

NB: Monthly mileage: 215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I decided not to stop at the back gate but continue on up around the 'duck loop'. I was running easy the whole time, never putting any stress on the legs or lungs. After I reached the highest point of the run, at the apex of the duck loop, it was all basically downhill back home, and I ran quicker without expending any extra effort.

What's the duck loop? I often run to the yellow gate past the second reservoir but stop there. I'd love to know of another route around there.
    Thanks

chickey2 wrote: »
    What's the duck loop? I often run to the yellow gate past the second reservoir but stop there. I'd love to know of another route around there.
    Thanks

Ok, if you go out the back (yellow) gate and turn left, you climb a hill, then there's a fork in the road at the top. You can go either way, but we take the right turn, and it goes past a farmyard (hence the name) goes up another short, steepish hill, then turns around and starts to descend. On the way down you'll come to a bridge on the right. Keep left here, and it brings you back to the fork I mentioned before. If you go right, over the bridge, that's the Castlekelly route. It's very hilly, and if you just follow your nose, it climbs up the valley to the far side of the reservoir, and eventually brings you out onto Bohernabreena hill. Left brings you down (it's very steep. Not great on the quads) all the way past church/graveyard/St. Annes GAA to the R114.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Thanks dave will have to give it a try.

Thursday 1st

2x3m with 3 min recovery. Big session tonight. A gang of us left the club and headed into the park for 2 miles before getting down to business. I was on my own, with a group ahead on 6.30 pace, and a group behind on 7.15. Yours truly was piggy in the middle trying to run 7min miles. I don't mind at all running on my own, but knowing that a group of one's peers are only just behind can be offputting. I was a little up and down on the first set of 3 miles. The second mile taking in the hill from the playground up to the bridge over the M50 came in at 7.26, but by the end I was gasping, probably due to the 6.33 mile I ran trying to correct matters. I walked/jogged back the way I had come (as we had agreed) only to find the group behind had evidently changed their mind and decided to keep going in the same direction. I imagine the reason was the fact that I found myself beginning my second set of three with the same hill. I steamed up it as best I could, and was genuinely surprised after to find that the mile was a 6.57. Continued on to the bitter end and was quite happy with a 6.56 average for the 6 miles.

2 @9.10

6 @6.56 (6.53,7.26,6.33, 6.57, 6.48, 7.00)

2 @9.15

Friday 2nd

Day off

Saturday 3rd

20 mile run with 10 @MP. Well, that was the plan anyway. Work prevented me from doing this early doors with the gang - irony of ironies, I had to photograph the Simon Community 5 miler in the park. Well done Eoin Callaghan, 26.12 is pretty tasty - although I did drive past them in Tallaght village shortly after 8am, and was able to snap them en masse from the car window: a fearsome sight. Didn't manage to get out the door after work until about 4pm. Domestic stuff partly to blame, but also I had a route problem. As in, I didn't have one. Then, a brainwave. What about a marathon dress-rehearsal? I worked out that it was about 8 miles to the park, and 10 miles along the course from there would leave me not too far from home. It's amazing how a plan can impart a sense of purpose, and I was positively looking forward to this adventure. I know the training has been on the money, because every time I have a day or more off lately, I can feel the spring in my legs as the body adapts more and more quickly to the stresses. After the usual couple of slowish warmup miles, I was skipping along at 8.10/15 pace, and not even noticing. I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed the first 8 miles which brought me from Firhouse down through Tallaght village, along Greenhills to the roundabout, then down Walkinstown ave towards Ballyfermot, before turning sharply right downhill into Chapelizod and along Conyngham Rd to the gate into the park. I hit 8 miles here, and with a hilly section to come I decided to walk up to Chesterfield. All along it was my intention to run 12 miles (rather than 10) at marathon pace, as I had run 14 MP miles at this point in the training cycle before London, so I was feeling the guilts. Although thankfully they have changed last year's hellish course a bit, there is still an awful long, straight, boring drag up Chesterfield to negotiate, it has to be said. And that's before you exit the Castleknock gate, from where it's more of the same until you reach Myo's. After that there's a bit more climbing, before the mostly downhill section to Knockmaroon, when you re-enter the park. From there it's flat or downhill to the Chapelizod gate, and everyone is of course familiar with the lay-out from there. I go into it at all only to stress this point. It's by far the hardest section of the whole race, and it lasts from Chesterfield to the Walkinstown roundabout, which is a good 10 miles. I really think that most people should be happy to sacrifice a little time along here, because it is the rock upon which many a marathoner's hopes have been dashed. I was absolutely delighted to be able to run the 12 miles at a 7.20 average, only 5 secs a mile down on the target. I'd take 10 secs on the day if it kept me fresh for a go at a negative split. I've been up the Crumlin rd section so many times, sometimes half-dead, other times skipping along like Bambi, but tonight the objective verdict remains: this is a long and mostly uphill drag, with prevailing headwinds. It's just crucial to get to the Walkinstown roundy in one piece. So sacrifice some time: you'll get it back later. Really, really glad to have gotten this done. It's a massive confidence booster. It also marks the beginning of three weeks of gradual taper. Oh joy...

22 @7.56

12m @ MP. Av 7.20 (7.21, 7.19, 7.31, 7.13, 7.08, 7.25, 7.21, 7.21, 7.32, 7.31, 7.14, 7.09)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Excellent stuff. And solid advice too about the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Interesting assessment of the route. I agree, although I think from Myo's to Dolphin's Barn is not too bad, even with the hill into Kilmainham. Also from the Liffey to the park is also a drag, so really more like 12 miles!

Sunday 4th

Day off.

Weekly total 55

Monday 5th

Taper Day 1: Rest on the plan, but I took yesterday off, so: Short, easy run.

4 @8.52

Tuesday 6th

Taper Day 2: 12 mile run. Lovely evening out with the club gang. Stretched our legs a little in the latter stages.

12 @8.30

Wednesday 7th

Taper Day 3: Easy run slated, but I'm swapping Friday's rest day with this because I'm working.

Thursday 8th

Taper Day 4: Easy run. Felt very comfortable at a slightly quicker pace than normal. Careful to keep effort easy though. I think the body just expects to be worked hard on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

7 @8.09

Friday 9th

Short easy run.

4 @9.05

Saturday 10th

Tymon parkrun. 5k blow-out race, 2 weeks out from DCM. A few of us from Tallaght AC in attendance for this. Quite happy with 19.34 considering I haven't been training for the shorter distances.

2.36 @9.43
    3.10 @6.19
    1.28 @9.31

• Advertisement

Sunday 11th

2 hour long run. As mandated by the plan. Big group assembled at the club this morning, although by the time I arrived they were shuffling out the gate and the clubhouse was locked up. Changed in the car park, and together with Brendan, a habitual late arriver, we hot-footed off in pursuit. Two miles averaging 7.45 and a short-cut later, we caught them up, and settled into a more relaxed pace. A lap of Tymon, and halfway up the waterworks and back gave us our 2 hours.

14.44 @8.19

Weekly total 48

Monday 12th

Day off. Head a bit sore today. Can't think why.

Tuesday 13th

6 mile MP run, with 1 mile each warm-up/cool-down. While the body wasn't 100%, the effort felt easy enough aerobically speaking. The running economy seems to be coming right. Wasn't a hard effort physically either as such, more a feeling that a certain rhythm was lacking. Should be fine on the day. Hard to stop a certain thought running one's head though: "Bloody hell. Twenty more of these!"

1 @9.09

6 @7.15 (7.01, 7.07, 7.25, 7.13, 7.24, 7.22)

1.32 @9.09

Wednesday 14th

Very easy run.

5.05 @9.56

Thursday 15th

2x2m @HMP. warm-up and cool-down. Legs and particularly calves tender from a pre-marathon rubdown the previous evening, which accounted for this being slightly harder than expected, I think.

1.72 @8.31

4 @6.58 (the garmin isn't accurate enough on the track, so the splits aren't relevant)

.98 @9.34

Friday 16th

Day off

Saturday 17th

Long run. 12 miles with the lads, and lass. Felt nice and fresh, so ran it a teensy bit quick, but kept the effort nice and easy.

12.25 @8.12

Sunday 18th

Day off.
    Opted for a lie-in early doors, and of course there was no chance later on. Although I was tempted to get changed and head out running after about 30 mins of the rugby. I'll run on Monday, which is a day off on the plan.

Monday 19th

Short easy run. Final week of the taper. Cue the worst runs of the entire training cycle. This wasn't so bad, really, but I just felt so creaky. The knees have been aching of late, and of course it all prompted the 'how am I going to run a marathon on monday?' agonising.

4.48 @8.40

Tuesday 20th

3 mile HMP run. Another confidence drainer. After 1 mile of warm-up, we kicked on and I was needing to run 7min miles. What hard work it was though, and the paces were up and down as well. Had a bit of serious whinging to the lads right after. How am I going to run a marathon on monday?

1 @8.34

3 @7.03 (7.06, 6.43, 7.21)

1.11 @8.38

Wednesday 21st

Short easy run. I think I've run the crappy stuff out of my legs. Took this nice and easy, breathing easy all the way, and averaged 8:16. I'm running a marathon on Monday, no bother.

4.34 @8.16 (8.22, 8.24, 8.20, 7.45)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Monday 19th

Short easy run. Final week of the taper. Cue the worst runs of the entire training cycle. This wasn't so bad, really, but I just felt so creaky. The knees have been aching of late, and of course it all prompted the 'how am I going to run a marathon on monday?' agonising.

If you didn't have that feeling you would be worried!

Thursday 22nd

3 mile MP run. Work meant I couldn't run with the club gang, so headed off in the afternoon for this. After a mile or so of warmup, I hit the button just the other side of the M50 bridge on the Firhouse road, and ran down around the Bros Pearse Arena and up towards the Spawell. I hope it's not a harbinger for Monday, but it was a tad windy out there. A little warm too. Anyway, got it done just under the required time. A check on the heart rate after showed it at a max of 152, or 88%, which is just about on the money for marathon running.

1.17 @8.31

3 @7.14 (7.07, 7.03, 7.31)

1.8 @8.45

HR: Av 135 Max 152

Friday 23rd October

Day off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hope it goes well, best of everything and as said on MNT, see/meet you at the main event :)

Saturday 24th

3 mile run with 1m @MP. We decided to jump into the Tymon parkrun for this. Left the MP for the last mile.

3.11 @7.43 (8.21, 7.56, 7.01)

Sunday 25th

20 minute run. Nice and easy, no last-minute accidents wanted.

2.48 @8.38

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck Dave - you've a solid training block done. Enjoy.

Advertisement