Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool runnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Monday 21st

Rest

Tuesday 22nd

Hill sprints. 8x1min @5k pace, with wu/cd. For this I chose the hill in Tymon park that leads from the playground up to the bridge over the M50. It took me a minute or so at 6.55 pace for the first one, so I used that as the distance marker. All the others were near enough to that. The legs felt quite fresh and springy at the start of each rep, which was encouraging.

2.01 @8.33

HR Av 112
    HR Max 128

4.38 @8.56 (including warmdown)

HR Av 129 (including warmdown)
    HR Max 160

Wednesday 23rd

Rest

Thursday 24th

Rest

Friday 25th

GOAL Mile. Miserable conditions. That's the weather, not me, although I was hardly tip-top. No regular timed groups setting off, because of the weather, so I did this solo. Not pleasant. Happy Christmas.

1 @5.58

Saturday 26th

St. Stephen's Day club race. Met up with TRR, Myles and other club mate for a few miles in advance of this. Was out of my depth, as the rest chatted while we racked up 7.41, 7.41 & 7.28 miles after the initial 8.30 loosener. A strategic slash got rid of my troublesomely fast running mates, although evidently the pace was in the legs, as I didn't slow down that much after. This was followed by a no-quarter-asked-or-given race, a lap of Tymon that very nearly had me bringing up breakfast at its conclusion. I think the main preventative factor was that I hadn't actually had any.

5.98 @ 7.53 (8.29, 7.41, 7.41, 7.28, 8.01, 7.48)

HR Av 133
    HR Max 149

2.69 @6.48

HR Av 148
    HR Max 187 (??? can't be right. Massive spike at the very end)

1.24 @8.39

HR Av 135
    HR Max 146

Sunday 27th

Short easy run.

3.05 @8.23

Weekly mileage 21

I have made three attempts to log this week's mileage. Yesterday I just had too much to drink and gave up. Today I have just had 20 mins work deleted by this damn laptop. I sweated onto the trackpad after a run there a day or two ago, and it's gone haywire. Trying VERY hard to stay calm. This week I completed both sessions and a 10 miler on Sunday. 41 miles. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

davedanon wrote: »
    I have made three attempts to log this week's mileage. Yesterday I just had too much to drink and gave up. Today I have just had 20 mins work deleted by this damn laptop. I sweated onto the trackpad after a run there a day or two ago, and it's gone haywire. Trying VERY hard to stay calm. This week I completed both sessions and a 10 miler on Sunday. 41 miles. That is all.

Get this man a strava account, quick. :D

Get this man a strava account, quick. :D

It's all on Garmin Connect. I have a Strava account, acksherly. Just don't know what to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

It's all on Garmin Connect. I have a Strava account, acksherly. Just don't know what to do with it.

Download garmin connect to your phone, link strava to garmin and boom each session loaded as soon as you get in the door via bluetooth and an auto-generated weekly summary of stats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I can feel the knot in the pit of your stomach as you write that.... Aargh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Strava > Training > Training Log > Screen Grab

Monday 4th

30 minute easy run. Uneventful.

3.43 @8.25

HR AV 126
    HR MAX 148

Tuesday 5th

Track session. 3x(4x300) @1 mile effort with 1 min recovery (100m). 3min recovery (400m) between sets. Myself and The Poster Formerly Known as Meno on the tartan for this. Found the session tougher than expected, and was glad of the extra recovery after every set of 4. Aimed at 65-67 secs for this, exceeded it in most cases. Good session.

2.3 @9.04

3 x(4x300). 64, 67, 64, 63/64, 63, 64, 64/65, 65, 65, 60.

2 @9.00

HR AV 130 (includes warm-down)
    HR MAX 161

Wednesday 6th

7 mile recovery run.

7.06 @8.54

Couple of nonsensical spikes in the HR.

Thursday 7th

Session. 4x5mins tempo with 3mins recovery. With meno again for this, and we went to Tymon park. With Sunday's xc on the horizon and bearing in mind how I had struggled with my running form on my last outing, I threw the spikes on for a short warm-up over the sodden turf in Tymon. It was a taxing enough beginning, but it didn't seem to help as we started the session. I had the watch set up for intervals, and meno was running by heartrate, so between us the didn't have a clue about pace we might be running at. One interval involved us covering the closing section of the parkrun route, and I remember thinking that it actually felt as though we were running a 5k race. meno wasn't running xc, so he was running 6 reps instead of 4 (the original session called for 4x8min intervals). Despite this he was starting to pull ahead by the last couple. Struggled to the end anyway, and sure enough, when we checked the stats...

1.95 @8.48

4x5 mins @6.34 (6.21, 6.51, 6.23, 6.40)

1.47 @8.57

HR AV 140
    HR MAX 163

7.68 @8.06 in total

Friday 8th

Rest

Saturday 9th

Easy 5 mile run. Helped out at Tymon parkrun, and lapped the park after. Beautiful morning.

5.18 @8.41

HR AV 126.
    HR MAX N/A big unlikely spike in the middle of the run after a halt.

Sunday 10th

Dublin Masters xc in Raheny. Don't have proper stats for this. In the pell-mell start a runner hit the lap button on my watch, and I didn't re-start it properly. Another beautiful day, absolutely perfect for running. Apart from the underfoot conditions, that is. Quite the worst, or best, according to your standpoint, xc conditions I've encountered in many years. Raheny can be a quagmire in places, as I well know. I'm from Raheny, and the closing section borders two sides of the legendary pitch 15, where I played many a game for Raheny Boys. Always the kindest and softest of surfaces, and lovely to play on, and that was a consequence of the poor drainage. I was expecting Somme-like conditions here, but not, and I suspect I wasn't alone, not the Passchendaele that awaited us just the other side of the path down to the finish area. This was a course change: I don't know why. Anyway, after passing the finish area, there was about 600 metres of glutinous mud to negotiate. This was leg-sapping, energy-draining stuff, and the race quickly became a slog for me and many others. I was struggling to begin with after the first lap, and had tried and failed to stay with a club mate who appeared on my shoulder in his very first xc outing. I was finding it difficult to breathe, and although I am (slightly) asthmatic, I wouldn't actually put it down to that. I practically never struggle with it, once I've medicated properly. It was something else, don't know what. On the second lap, my shoe came off in the muck, and I saw no other way of continuing except by stopping to put it back on. This meant struggling to undo the triple-knot I had used in the hope of preventing this eventuality. This sent me tumbling further down the standings, obviously, but on the upside it did allow me to pass a few people when I eventually got going again. Finished strongly enough, helped by the sight of the red-rag-to-a-bull that is the Bros Pearse singlet ahead at the finish. Got him too.

warm-up, and 6k in an official time of 30.34

postscript: felt a tell-tale burning sensation on the heel as soon as I got the shoe back on, and sure enough by the end I had a purple blister adorning my heel. Got through a recovery today (Monday) ok, with a compeed and two pairs of socks on. Hopefully I can get through tomorrow's 8x1k session alright. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The course change was due to the new tarmac path that was constructed along the original section alongside All Saints Road. Thought I recognised you struggling with the shoe alright. Bad luck!

Monday 11th

30 minute recovery. The pub loop, taking in the Old Mill and around the little park to Morton's, then back up through the park along the river.

3.44 @8.56

HR AV 121
    HR MAX 142

Tuesday 12th

6-8x1k @10k pace, w 400m/2-3min recovery. Did these with with meno in Marlay, and the first thing we agreed on was that 6 of these babies was quite enough. A lap of the concert field is exactly 1k, conveniently enough, and we also agreed that 4 minutes was a perfectly fine target. So meno leads out the first one, and we finish in the low 3.50's, and this naturally becomes the template for the session. And a tough one it was too.

1.35 @9.18

6x1k (3.53, 3.52, 3.54, 3.50, 3.57, 3.51)

1 or so cooldown.

HR MAX 165

Wednesday 13th

Recovery run.

6.95 @8.48

HR AV 119

Thursday 14th

30 min HMP run. Sounded handy enough, until I thought about it a bit. Virtually a tempo run, given how my short/long paces have diverged. HMP is 7min/mile for me, but I had been running all my tempos for London at 7 minute pace. Tried to run it by feel, and I obviously didn't feel 100%, as I didn't quite manage to hold the pace.

2.01 @8.59

30 mins - 4.22 @7.06

2.05 @9.10

HR MAX 162

Friday 15th

Rest

Saturday 16th

Rest again. Working all day, didn't feel like running after.

Sunday 17th

13-16 miles long run. 10 has been the limit since Christmas, so wasn't sure how this would play out. The waterworks was the general consensus, so that meant lots of climbing for the first half, then mostly downhill after. I had company up until the waterworks gate, which was nice. A peculiar run, meanwhile. Though I was borderline struggling early doors, not feeling quite right at all, the pace was smart enough nevertheless. Fairly happy by the finish.

13.01 @8.15

HR AV 133
    HR MAX 152

Weekly total 39 miles

• Advertisement

Monday 18th

30 min recovery. The usual local loop. Uneventful.

4.01 @8.22

HR 120/141

Tuesday 19th

On a whim, decided to meet some internet randoms for an unscheduled trail run. 7 miles from Kilmashogue car park up to the fairy castle and back down again. Some very nice banana bread on offer after, too. Nice and easy, but my road-fairy legs aren't used to this sort of climb. There would be consequences later in the week, starting with the planned track session in the evening, which got postponed until...

Wednesday 20th

today. 3-4 (4x400) @3kpace w 1min rec. 400m rec between sets. Quads and glutes still distinctly tender after Tuesday, but dug in and tried to bang these out at the required pace (83-86secs). Decided straight away that 12 reps would be plenty. Was managing ok, and just about to finish the 2nd set of 4, when I felt a little twinge on the inside of my left thigh. Could feel it getting worse with every stride, so pulled up straight away. Discretion was the better part, I thought, and just went straight in and got showered and dressed.

2.22 @8.20

HR 123/139

8x400 (1.30, 1.24, 1.23, 1.23, 1.25, 1.24, 1.25, 1.19 (short))

HR 156 (av)

Thursday 21st

Easy short run. Slightly nervous after last night, but there seemed to be no issues with the thigh.

5.1 @8.22

HR 120/133

Friday 22nd

Rest

Saturday 23rd

Another departure from the schedule, this time coach-sanctioned. Myself and the poster formerly known as meno headed to Tymon for the parkrun, both hoping to dip under 20 mins, a week in advance of Raheny. Unfortunately I had made a cardinal error on the previous evening by taking part in a strength and conditioning session down at the club. After a few reps of dead lifts and squats, followed by weighted lunges (which really did the damage, imo), my hamstrings and, especially, glutes were whimpering. A bit on the windy side as we lined up, with a record attendance at Tymon, and off we went. Soon enough meno pulled away, and despite a strong kick at the end that took me past a guy I had been swapping places with, I finished in 20.28, while meno ran well to just dip under the 20min mark.

2.01 @8.54

3.1 @6.35 (20.28)

HR 147/170 (includes cooldown)
    1.62 @9.00

Sunday 24th

Long run. Was planning something around the 12-14 mile mark, but I was swayed by the general consensus (10) and my mashed glutes, which were still protesting.

10.02 @8.38

HR 130/148

Total mileage 38

Monday 25th

30 minute recovery. the usual.

3.43 @8.27

Tuesday 26th

3k @HMP/2k @10k/1k @5k - 400m jog recovery between sets. Very windy in the concert field in Marlay park for this, and after nearly being brought to a standstill at one point, we took a route through the forest to stay out of the wind. It meant our laps were a bit long, but hey ho. Found these quite tough, mainly because meno's preferred pace was faster than mine. As a result my 3k was run faster than the 2k. Good tough workout though.

1.33 @9min or so

3k @ 6.40/2k @6.43/1k @6.02

HR 129/162

1.17 @9.22

Wednesday 27th

Trail run. Wildly enjoyable yomp through the woods and trails around Powerscourt, including a kilometre-long climb to the top of the waterfall. Got to do some proper running at the end, too, as we finished with a fast downhill blast back to Long Hill car park.

6.39 miles.

Thursday 28th

No running today for the birthday boy.

Friday 29th

5 min tempo 3 min recovery, 3x600m @5k w 3 min recovery. Down to the usual place in Tymon for this on my todd. Got mixed up and did 6 mins instead of 5. Nice little hard mini-session though, with Raheny 2 days away.

2 @8.26

6mins @6.44 pace

3x600m (6.02, 6.07, 5.43)

HR 128/160

Saturday 30th

Rest

Sunday 31st

Raheny 5 mile. First club (and personal) goal road race of the year. I predicted 32.15 for this in a little handicap competition. Didn't achieve it, but was very happy with the effort, and the couple of club scalps taken. Full report later.

1.14 @9.05

4.98 @6.30 (32.23)

HR Av 160/167

Weekly mileage 29

Monday 25th

30 minute recovery. the usual.

3.43 @8.27

Tuesday 26th

3k @HMP/2k @10k/1k @5k - 400m jog recovery between sets. Very windy in the concert field in Marlay park for this, and after nearly being brought to a standstill at one point, we took a route through the forest to stay out of the wind. It meant our laps were a bit long, but hey ho. Found these quite tough, mainly because meno's preferred pace was faster than mine. As a result my 3k was run faster than the 2k. Good tough workout though.

1.33 @9min or so

3k @ 6.40/2k @6.43/1k @6.02

HR 129/162

1.17 @9.22

Wednesday 27th

Trail run. Wildly enjoyable yomp through the woods and trails around Powerscourt, including a kilometre-long climb to the top of the waterfall. Got to do some proper running at the end, too, as we finished with a fast downhill blast back to Long Hill car park.

6.39 miles.

Thursday 28th

No running today for the birthday boy.

Friday 29th

5 min tempo 3 min recovery, 3x600m @5k w 3 min recovery. Down to the usual place in Tymon for this on my todd. Got mixed up and did 6 mins instead of 5. Nice little hard mini-session though, with Raheny 2 days away.

2 @8.26

6mins @6.44 pace

3x600m (6.02, 6.07, 5.43)

HR 128/160

Saturday 30th

Rest

Sunday 31st

Raheny 5 mile. First club (and personal) goal road race of the year. I predicted 32.15 for this in a little handicap competition. Didn't achieve it, but was very happy with the effort, and the couple of club scalps taken. Full report later.

1.14 @9.05

4.98 @6.30 (32.23)

HR Av 160/167

Weekly mileage 29

One of the best races of the year, this. Stiff competition, big club entries, a trip back to my birthplace, and the fabled Raheny goodie bag. Also a trip to the pub beckoned after, so I begged a lift from a clubmate, and on the way over the pressing topic soon became apparent: would we make it in (reasonable) time? Traffic was dismal approaching Raheny from all directions, even coming off the M50 towards Donaghmede, as we were. We eventually got there, tried to park in the church grounds, but it was rammed, so we parked on the road that runs parallel to the Howth rd. Once we had got our numbers in the school hall (my old school hall) and squeezed in a mile or so of warmup, I was happy enough. We had similar problems to others here facing us at the start, with a couple of thousand people between us and the start line. Luckily we managed to barrel our way up to where the barriers gave way to tape, and were able to scoot around to the front then ease back a bit from the pointy end of the race. You don't want to find yourself eyeballing the likes of the Claw just before the gun. Away we went, and the congestion wasn't too bad. I was disappointed to see the mass corner-cutting at the 2nd turn though. It really isn't on. Just stay on the damn road, why can't you.

Up towards the Howth road, and I had settled in behind meno. I expected him to run better than me, pace our training, so I was happy to stick with him as long as possible. Mile 1 ticked by at 6.20 on the Garmin. On the Howth rd. stretch I was concerned about staying sheltered from the wind, and tucked myself into a crowd of runners. Thankfully there weren't any idiots weaving and lane-hopping, although one pint-sized guy from a certain noisy neighbour south-west Dublin club seemed overly keen to get through the crowd so early in the race. Along here I felt slightly guilty about using meno as a windshield, so I got out in front to do my shift into the wind. He tucked right in behind as we approached my next checkpoint: the left turn onto Sybil Hill rd. I thought that if I got there feeling relatively comfortable, I might have a good day. It's slightly downhill here too, and mile 2 clocked in at 6:30. Then we turned left onto Mt. Prospect ave, and for the first time, the wind was at our back. I often find this stretch wearing, and I wonder if those concrete roads have anything to do with it. It is a very hard surface for running on. Into the park at the red stables then for the new section of the course, and mile 3 came in at 6:26. Not too bad. (Afterwards the Garmin would tell me I had set a NEW 5k RECORD of 19:57) Although I was looking forward to the new course route, I was wary of the long up and back on the main avenue. It can be disheartening watch people stream by in the opposite direction, particularly if they include people you fancied you could beat. Sure enough, I spotted a Tallaght top flashing by, and concluded it was a guy who had been beating me in every outing (having been unable previously). A mental shrug of the shoulders then, and carry on. I was starting to flag, though, and then meno appeared on my shoulder. Afterwards he confirmed that I just slowed up, and his existing pace just carried him past me. I had seen the next mile marker on the way up, and now I was actively looking for it in front of me, confirmation that we were into the last mile. Here it was, and thankfully I had no thought of checking pace, because it was a weary 6.52 at mile 4. Then, suddenly, I heard a familiar voice, and Billy L appeared beside me. He should have been well ahead, but I was too tired to wonder why, and he began bridging the 10 yard gap between me and meno. I had been hanging onto him, hoping that I could stay there long enough to take him on at the finish. All at once I decided to use Billy, to let him tow me along. I didn't know I had the strength, But when I looked for it, it was there. We passed meno, and then Billy was behind me as well. I noted my effort, and the fact that my breathing had gotten more urgent. I deliberated as to whether I could sustain this effort. It wasn't all-out, but it wasn't far off. Any attack now, and I was vulnerable, I knew. I thought I could keep going until the end, with just a bit left in reserve. We approached the finish loop, and the section up to the 2nd last corner seemed endless. There was no sign of meno or Billy, and I was looking around wondering how many I could take at the finish. Around the last corner, and at Raheny the finish is blessedly close from here. It was time to throw everything at it, and there were plenty of runners within striking distance. I overtook 2, maybe 3, in an eyeballs-out sprint for the line. Finishing time: 32.28

At first, my reaction was almost disappointment. It had seemed faster than that. After a few minutes though, I was a bit more sanguine. I had taken a scalp or two. The guy I thought I had seen in front of me turned out to be behind me. Times in general seemed slower than usual, so maybe my time wasn't so bad after all.

Then, today (monday) I check my garmin records, and discover to my surprise that 32:23 is a PB for Raheny for me. Not a bad day, at all, at all. To be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice use of the aul Latin there, Dave. Great run too, kudos. Everyone seems to have mentioned leaving poor TAFKAM in the dust.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice use of the aul Latin there, Dave. Great run too, kudos. Everyone seems to have mentioned leaving poor TAFKAM in the dust.

Ah, so that's who TAFKAM is.

Monday 1st Feb

Rest

Tuesday 2nd

8 mile progression run. Start easy, -15 sec/mile every 2 miles. At club for this. As it happens, club gang had a new 8 mile route going, up around Rovers stadium, Kiltipper and the Firhouse road, which suited my purposes perfectly. It was a bit disorganised, as one guy was doing fartlek, while another (new) guy ran first with me, then latched onto him when he eventually overtook me. The paces should have been 2x8.30/2x8.15/2x8.00/2x7.45, but weren't for various reasons. The first mile was sluggish, as usual, then the overall pace was corrected by dint of getting caught at the lights at a busy junction on the Belgard rd., and running an 8 min mile to catch up. After that, the combined effects of downhill, following wind and fartleking partners threw the 3rd section out, while the last two were run into the wind and uphill, and the effort duly reflected that.

8 @8.00

9.04, 8.01/8.18, 8.03/7.33, 7.55/7.43, 7.22

HR 120/156

Wednesday 3rd

Trail run. Up around Lough Dan. 8 miles of running, walking, falling, getting scratched by thorn bushes, and oh yes some climbing, then getting slightly lost. Marvellous.

Thursday 4th

Working all day, no running.

Friday 5th

Thursday's planned session. 15min, 10min tempos. 2 mins recovery. 2-3x800 @5k pace, 2 mins recovery. I think. Strava just logs the miles, seemingly (Yay, I changed it from stupid kms!), regardless of my use of the lap button, so it's a little difficult to be precise (Garmin Connect is down tonight). Anyway, the gist is, found this really tough. I put it down to a Raheny 5 hangover, nothing to see here, move along. Got the 15mins done, took much longer than 2mins, managed 8 mins almost of the next one. Pace was definitely off on these too. Took another long recovery, took a deep breath and launched into my first 800. Felt crap, was blowing out my a**e after 300m, and really felt as though I was slowing down rapidly. When I finished I was quite surprised I had held 6.20 pace for a 3.07 800. Packed it in there and then. No point when you feel like that.

8.6 miles.

HR 132/162.

Saturday 6th

8 mile recovery run. Back in the pink today, it seemed. Decided on the old straight line, 4 out/4 back strategy for this. Following the Dodder, in other words, down to Bushy park on one side of the river, then back up the other (where possible). Lovely.

8.1 @8.20

HR 131/149

Sunday 7th

14 mile long run. Nice, easy run through the PP with some other reprobates, who shall remain nameless to protect guilty and innocent alike. Quite slow for most of it, although someone rang a bell for the last stretch down Chesterfield towards the cars. Closing 2.5 miles of 7.32, 7.06 and 7.16 pace respectively.

14.5 @8.55

HR 126/155

Weekly mileage 47

Monday 8th

Rest

Tuesday 9th

3 mile run. Wet and chilly run around the wood trail at Rathwood in Tullow.

3.1 @8.32

Wednesday 10th

Rest

Thursday 11th

Trail run, taking in the Cushbawn hill/mountain route and the Sean Linehan walk in and around Macreddin village/Aughrim.

7.5m

Friday 12th

Easy run.

5.54 @8.57

HR 110/132

Saturday 13th

Tymon parkrun, with wu/cd.

2.02 @9.16

3.06 @6.39 (20.21)

HR 154/170

1.35 @8.29

Sunday 14th

Long run. 13 miles along the Dodder to Clonskeagh and back.

13.01 @8.08

HR 134/162

Away Tuesday/Friday for the wife's significant birthday celebrations, so I knew it would be difficult getting sessions done this week, and so it proved. Got in a couple of runs while away, then did the parkrun so as to have at least one session done. A whole week of full Irish breakfasts, plus sumptuous dinners and copious amounts of alcohol certainly left its mark, and I was quite pleased, first of all to finish fourth (and be leading, just, after the first lap), and second to finish in 20.21, just a bit faster than I had managed pre-Raheny 5. Then my long run ended up at almost Steady pace, so all in all happy enough with the week's effort.

Weekly mileage 36

Monday 15th

Easy run. Met a couple of clubmates for this, so not the usual 30 minute recovery.

7.23 @8.46

HR 117/148

Tuesday 16th

Track session. 4x500@5k/4x400@3k/4x300@1m pace. 75 sec/rec, 400m between sets. Three of us only on the track, but only me doing this workout. Weather was dreadful, cold, wet and windy, which made a tough session even tougher going. Didn't quite hit my targets here, until the last set. Aimed for just under 2mins initially, then 83-86 for the 400s, and 63-65 for the last set. Shortest, most desultory cooldown ever afterward.

1.76 @9.09

4x500 (2.03, 2.00, 2.01, 2.02)
    4x400 (1.31, 1.29, 1.27, 1.32)
    4x300 (1.03, 1.04, 1.05, 1.04)

HR 135/161

0.47 @8.58

Wednesday 17th

Recovery run. Beautiful running conditions last night. Calm, dry and crisp.

6.05 @8.43

HR 114/148

Thursday 18th

3 x12min tempo. Couldn't make club for this, so down to Tymon park in the afternoon. Aiming for about 6.50 pace on these, got the first two done ok, but was starting to struggle during the third. The way these broke down, I was only getting a reliable pace indicator for the first mile of each segment; after that I was slightly in the dark, because 12 minutes running amounts to roughly 1.75 miles. Anyway, the first one was a little hot, the second one (including a climb) very slightly slow, and on the third, I was over-compensating for my tiredness by running too hard. And then, without warning, I just stopped. It was such a snap decision, it wasn't even formed in my mind. I just suddenly stopped. Kept walking for a bit, then guilt prompted me to race back up towards my finishing point. Got about 8.5 minutes done in the third segment.

2 @8.45

11.56min @6.42
    12.01min @6.54
    5.43min @6.27
    2.53min @6.41

1.72 @9.06

Friday 19th

Rest

Saturday20th

Long run. 11 miles steady. A big birthday for a clubmate in the evening, so long run moved forward. Cranked it up early doors from the club, despite the wind and rain, with the aim a 7.50 or so average pace. Pushed it a bit too hard early on, trying to compensate for the usual slow mass start. Miles 2 and 3 were 7.36 and 7.44, but after that I found some sort of rhythm, but most of the first 8 miles were against the wind and uphill, so I was tired by the time I turned into the kiltipper path near the waterworks entrance. Three downhill, and downwind, miles were ahead of me though, so I was able to push the pace without too much effort.

11.3 @7.53

Sunday 21st

Recovery run. Once the hangover receded enough, I joined a clubmate for 6 easy miles, although once again it was wild and wooly.

6 @8.46

A solid week, overall. 6 days running.

Weekly mileage 46

• Advertisement

Monday 22nd

Recovery run. Went out without any clear plan regarding either distance or route, and ended up taking a spontaneous, follow-my-nose approach. Sometimes, knowing where your route is going to take you can blunt the enthusiasm on a junk mile run. After cresting the little hill opposite the Speaker, and criss-crossing it a few times, I ended up going down the road a bit, through the turnstile, and up one of the myriad little paths that link up the various estates around Firhouse. Decided to spend as much of the run as I could on these, taking as many different paths as I could. It's surprising just how many of these there are in this area. After I crossed the Ballycullen road and the nearby bridge over the M50, I ran down past Super....Valu knocklyon (and Twink's house), discovered that a school had sprung up since the last time I had been there, and that it wasn't a dead end either. A few more linking pathways and lanes between different estates later, I popped out behind Ballyboden GAA club, and then followed the Firhouse road back up home.

6.02 @9.10

Tuesday 23rd

12x400m @5k pace, 75sec recovery. This used not to be so daunting, back when we would do 400s once a week, every week, starting out at 6 and working our way gradually up, but the present approach is much more varied. So when 12 of these buggers are thrown at you in a one-off situation, you know a tough evening awaits. A solo effort, too, alas, although on the plus side the weather was absolutely perfect, cold but windless. The first couple were slow, but gradually I worked my way into them, and was averaging 87/88 until the last two, where I was strong enough to shave a bit off the overall average. No stomach for any kind of decent warm-down after though.

2.24 @8.53

12x400m (92, 92, 89, 87, 89, 88, 87, 87, 89, 87, 83, 82)
    Av 87 secs

HR 136/164

0.59 @9.03

Wednesday 24th

A lingering foot pain flared up after last night's session, so I was icing it and trying to remember my foot-exercise regimen. I also decided on a visit to Dr. Myles, and on his advice ran today, but only for about 40 minutes. Did this with a teammate. Wasn't even bothered about not quite completing 5 miles, which would horrify some who profess to be "OCD", in the running sense. No problems, and now much more confident about tomorrow's pyramid session.

4.79 @8.38

Thursday 25th

400/800/1200/1200/800/400 pyramid @5k pace, with 45/90/120/120/90 recovery. Company for this! An embarrassment of riches on the track tonight, in fact, with our group of 3, plus El Capitan himself leading (by a distance) another group, Mr. Gillick training with our young sprinters, and finally Myles himself, resplendent in lurid orange cycling shorts, pounding his away around the oval. Apart from my initial 400 lead which was a couple of seconds out, we held roughly 6.15 mile pace thereafter, which was quite acceptable. I was so happy I even let meno win the last 400.

2.16 @9.14

400 in 1.35 (6.22 p/m)
    800 in 3.07 (6.16 p/m)
    1200 in 4.39 (6.14 p/m)
    1200 in 4.38 (6.13 p/m)
    800 in 3.06 (6.14 p/m)
    400 in 1.27 (5.50 p/m)

HR 130/161

1 @9.24

Friday 26th

Rest

Saturday 27th

Rest. Working at election count in the RDS from early, and then to the pub for the rugby, so no room for running.

Sunday 28th

14 mile long run. Feeling quite fresh on Sunday afternoon, despite the hangover, so ended up running this a bit too fast. Chose the old Dodder out-and-back route, and it was a lovely afternoon for it.

14 @8.07

HR 136/154

Weekly mileage 38

Monday 29th

Recovery run. Easy 5 miler.

5 @8.46

Hr 122/135

Tuesday 1st March

Rest. Working unexpectedly, session put off until tomorrow.

Wednesday 2nd

10x200m with wu/cd. At the usual place in Tymon. Bit of wind around, half thought that I was hammering these a bit too hard at first, thought I pulled back a bit, and then it turned out I wasn't hammering at all, and I hadn't really pulled back either. no harm done.

1.9 @8.35

10x200m (43, 47, 43, 48, 45, 46, 46, 48, 43, 45)

2.5 @8.45

HR 127/149

Thursday 3rd

Planning on doing St. Anne's parkrun on Saturday, so was advised to ditch tonight's session. Longish easy run.

9.1 @8.42

HR 121/133

Friday 4th

Easy run.

6.23 @8.34

HR 123/142

Saturday 5th

St. Anne's parkrun. Meno had to cry off with car trouble, so on my sweeney for this. Nearly didn't make it myself, the traffic on the quays was so bad. Finally arrived at 10.20, but barely got half a mile of warm-up in before the off. Fairly happy with the time. The course isn't quite as flat as can be, but still quick enough. Getting under 20 minutes is always welcome. The Garmin called it short, but it always does this in the Anne's due to the extensive tree cover, so I have adjusted the timings, as I know the course has been accurately measured at least twice. This is one of the advantages of not being a corner-cutter. You know you've run the full distance.

0.42 @8.51

3.1 @6.19 (19.38)

HR 158/169

2.01 @9.18

Sunday 6th

Long(ish) run. Was flexible about this, just wanted to get some nice easy miles in. Not many around though, with a crew heading down to Ballycotton, and a group having run yesterday morning. Three of us set off in the end.

10.09 @8.40

HR 119/138

Week's mileage 43

Monday 7th

Short easy run. Pushed for time, had to make do with an almost-30 minute run, and it wasn't easy pace either. This is becoming a feature lately: running fewer miles overall, but most of them at a brisker pace. Is my natural relaxed pace getting quicker, or am I unknowingly overdoing it? I'm not flogging myself, so I don't think it's the latter, but I'll keep a weather eye on the situation.

3.46 @8.07

HR 128/135

Tuesday 8th

4x(3x300) with wu/cd. 1min rec, 400m between sets. Garmin went haywire on the warmup, had me running sub-8 first mile which was absurd, and measured it at 2.43 when I know it's 2.25 - amusingly the garmin connect map had me starting somewhere in Glenview (instead of the club) and cutting a path directly through the Astro pitches, among other impossibilities. I had company, of sorts, for my track session, for a change. Padraig is likely to be our next sub-2.50 marathoner, and was (at least) 5 seconds quicker on our reps, but even so the company was welcome, and even having a distant target to chase helped. I'm still finding genuine mile pace very fast, but while I never felt comfortable, I was 3-4 seconds quicker than the last session of 300's, back at the start of the year.

2.25 @8.45 (estimated)

4x(3x300)

1.00, 0.58, 1.01
    1.00, 1.00, 1.00
    1.02, 0.59, 1.00
    1.01, 0.59, 0.55

HR 135/183 ??? 11 beats above max? I don't think so, unless a VO2MAX test tells me otherwise.

Wednesday 9th

Rest, mostly work-enforced.

Thursday 10th

Doing Tymon parkrun this weekend, so ditched the session and just went for a club run. Had company for a good bit of the way before the Liverpool Half crew (this weekend) bailed. Enjoyable run.

8.32 @8.11

HR 127/144

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

St. Anne's parkrun......Finally arrived at 10.20, but barely got half a mile of warm-up in before the off.

Is this what happens when FBOT01 hands over the reins for a week? An hour delay? :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Is this what happens when FBOT01 hands over the reins for a week? An hour delay? :D

Ha! I didn't even notice that.

Friday 11th

Easy 5 mile run. Concocted an impromptu route that kept me fairly close to home.

5.09 @8.19

HR 125/137

Saturday 12th

Tymon parkrun. Last week's outing to St. Anne's was great, but beyond the confidence boost of running sub-20, it didn't tell me a lot. A follow-up run in Tymon seemed obvious. Last time out exactly a month ago I ran 20:22. I knew I would better it, but by how much? I jogged down from the house, and the weather was perfect for running. Didn't feel especially perky, but I think that's common enough when a race is imminent. I wanted to really give this a crack, so had stuck on the racers, and a singlet. Away we went, and I settled in in about 5th place. I wasn't pushing very hard, but was keen to see what the first mile split would be. 6:17 was nice and quick, and I concentrated on not letting the pace drop. I had overhauled a few early on, but one guy had overtaken me after a mile or so, and I could see he was just settling into his stride: no point in chasing him. Mile 2 was 6:21, not too bad at all, and we were now approaching Hanlon's corner, and the challenging nearly-a-mile drag to the finish. There had been footsteps behind me for a while, and they had malice aforethought. By the time we turned for home, they were nearly on top of me, and although I was just trying to grimly hold my pace for dear life, I found an extra gear as we pounded up the drag. The footsteps receded, but didn't go away, and I was forced to push again as we cleared the trees for the last few hundred metres toward the finish. At this stage, much of the kick was dissipated, but with 100m to go I glanced at the watch, saw 19.20-something and launched myself at the finish line. I don't know why but I have matched or almost matched my Tymon pb several times now, and here it was happening again, as I clocked 19:33, just three seconds off the mark. Very happy with it, though, 5 seconds faster than on the much quicker St. Anne's course, and boding well for MSB next weekend.

2.58 @8.26

3.1 @6.18 (19.33)

HR 155/171

1.75 @9.23

Sunday 13th

10 mile easy. With 6N the day before, the chances of an 8am start rapidly receded, so I eventually ventured out mid-afternoon. Beautiful day, and I just ran 5 miles downriver, then back.

10 @8.21

Week's mileage 42

A strange week, so far. Failed to registered a run on Monday or Wednesday, mostly due to work. In between had a super session of 800s on Tuesday. Feeling unwell on Thursday with flu-like symptoms: aches and pains, general lassitude. Much better today (Friday), and hopefully this unplanned mini-taper will reap a reward at the MSB 5k on Sunday.

Monday 14th

Rest

Tuesday 15th

8x800@10k pace, 2 min recovery. Did these in the concert field in Marlay with meno. Tried to hit 6.20 pace for these, and we succeeded. Something refreshing about an 800 with a clearly visible finishing point, rather than two circuits of the tartan. Felt fantastic during this: fast, yet controlled. The 5k training is finally starting to have the desired effect.

1.5 @9.30

8x800

.49 in 3.05 (6.20 pace)
    .49 in 3.01 (6.10)
    .49 in 3.04 (6.15)
    .49 in 3.07 (6.23)
    .49 in 3.04 (6.18)
    .49 in 3.03 (6.13)
    .49 in 3.04 (6.18)
    .49 in 3.00 (6.07)

HR 125/159

.76 @10.18

Wednesday 16th

Rest

Thursday 17th

Dragged myself out feeling wretched, managed fewer than 4 miles, would have sworn I was running 10 min miles. Turned out they were more like 8.20

3.62 @8.20

Friday 18th

Rest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the MSB.

Advertisement