Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool runnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Saturday 19th

Easy 5 mile run. Felt good on this. Looking forward to tomorrow.

5 @8.19

HR 124

Sunday 20th

MSB 5k. The latest club target race, and my first Paddy's Day (sort of) outing since 2013, when I ran 19.13, and incidentally during a period of months when I set my existing 5k and 5m PBs. My travel arrangements involved catching an early bus, but I missed it, and was looking at an unscheduled warm-up run across the park to intercept the 77A, but thankfully the wife stepped in and gave me a lift into town. Met up with the club gang, organised race numbers, got a basic warmup in, and then at 12 noon were off. There was apparently a bit of congestion at the start, and even though we had moved into the centre of the road, some of us still got baulked quite badly in the opening stages. No such misfortune for me, however, as the way seemed to open up in front of me, and I was up to full tilt very quickly, quite unlike, for instance, the Raheny 5, when there was a distinct initial delay.

I was right on the tail of Billy, a clubmate who I knew was up to 30 secs quicker than I over the distance. Felt relatively comfortable, though, and as the first km marker passed, I ignored the watch and waited for the first mile as we streamed down Fitzwilliam St. A right turn onto Baggot St. and my wrist buzzed. A 5:57! Dearie me, I didn't know what to think. Worried that I was going too fast, and also quite pleased (more in retrospect, to be fair) that I was even able to run a sub-6min mile without collapsing in a heap. I've had Christmas morning GOAL miles of that pace where I was in a right jock after, although circumstances were obviously quite different.

On I went, inwardly registering that I had seconds credit in the bank, as to continue at this pace would have me in PB country, and I wasn't at all expecting that kind of result. As we swept around the Pepper Canister church and up onto the canal, my pace did begin to flag, possibly a little more than I would have wanted, and as the long canal stretch gave onto Adelaide Rd. the 2nd mile came around at 6:21. A little slow, that felt, to me, and mentally I girded myself for a big effort over the final mile. A sub-19 finish was now a definite possibility in my mind, and just around then the bould TAFKAM appeared on my shoulder. He had never been very far behind me, in fairness, but his presence did give me pause. To give him his due, he grunted a "come on" at me as he passed. In retrospect, this was a real boon. I don't know if I would have spurred myself on as much if it had been just me. Meno had taken a 5 metre lead, and I tried to cut into this to stop him from getting away from me altogether. As we ran up Earlsfort terrace past the NCH, I managed to get back out in front of him, and he dropped back behind me again. I hadn't studied the race route that thoroughly beforehand, but I realised that it couldn't be a straight route to the finish line from here, so was prepared for the right turn up Leeson St. I worked really hard 'up' this stretch (it's a really flat course, but bits of it feel 'up') towards the left-hander onto Fitzwilliam St. again. Now it was down to the last corner; a last left onto Merrion Row and then it was a straight run into the finish on St. Stephen's Green. Beforehand I had viewed the big "100 metres to go" sign as a little bit unnecessary, but now I fixed on it as the spot where I would kick for the line with anything and everything I had left. And then I saw the race clock reading 18:40-something, and a switch flipped over in me and I went for it bald-headed. I had to get under that gantry before a big 19 came on that clock. Past the finish line, click the watch, and it read 18:57. Had I managed it? Surely I had. Afterwards in the round room of the Mansion House, I scoured the official results, and found myself awarded an official time of 18:59. An awful lot of people had had a couple of rogue seconds added to their times, it seemed. Some had them taken off again (Myles- for a PB- being one), some not. But it doesn't really matter. Really delighted with this result. The last time I ran this race, I ran 19:12, and by June I was running a sub-6 minute mile 5k. If I can repeat that, it will be a great season. Roll on Clontarf!

5k @6.05 (18.56)

wu and cd.

HR 160/172

PS: Actual time on Garmin: 18.55.6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great run. Gave you a shout at the final turn (recognised you from beer mile and Masters XC). You looked a lot more comfortable than TAFKAM. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats Dave. Great run to get in sub 19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

davedanon wrote: »
    I went for it bald-headed.

I do everything like that :D

Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done yesterday Dave, nice to see you reaping some rewards from the solid training your putting in. Always nice to beat the Northy lad to!!

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done yesterday Dave, nice to see you reaping some rewards from the solid training your putting in. Always nice to beat the Northy lad to!!

Heh. Yeah, sticking it to TAFKAM is practically a national sport around these parts. In the nicest possible way of course.

Monday 21st

Rest

Tuesday 22nd

The plan was an easy run, with a few 200s on the track after. Purely a loosening-out job after a race weekend, but I was hankering after company, the gang were doing a tempo, and of course I got suckered in. Initially I planned to part company after the warm-up, then thought 'ah maybe a mile or two of tempo', and of course did the full 4m in the end. I have to say, it felt comfortable enough. I could feel the fatigue from the weekend there in the background alright, but I felt good and fresh until about the last mile, as I was being chased at that stage. Had to run 6.13 just to stay slightly ahead. Leinster 10 on Monday. Will behave myself from now on.

1.5 wu

4m tempo

Max HR 164

AV 6.41

2m cd

Wednesday 23rd

Easy run. No idea what distance I wanted to run, or indeed what route to take. In the end just went on autopilot, and ended up doing 8 miles in Tymon park.

8 @8.48

HR 113/129

Thursday 24th

3 miles track with strides. 2m+ warm up and 12 laps of the track, with 100m @ 1m pace at the end of each lap.

5.16 @8.20

Friday 25th

Easy run.

6 @8.34

Saturday 26th

Rest

Sunday 27th

Easy run.

5.59 @8.30

Week's mileage 32

Leinster 10 mile championship report

Conditions for this race, although it was cold, were nigh-on perfect. A good 2 mile warmup got us, well, warmed up, and by the time the singlets were revealed we were all ready to go. Until that is, we had to be herded backwards, like sheep, or schoolchildren, until the starters were happy. And then we were off! Eh, except, where did one start one's watch? At the start, under the gantry, what? Anyway, hit the button and forget about it. We had that long avenue to negot......no wait, we were swinging around for a short little loop first......and then another one! Well, this was interesting. Were we going to do this all morning? Ah, now we're heading up the avenue, finally. I tucked in behind clubmate Billy from the off. Not by design, as he is much quicker than me, viz. his 18:20 compared to my 18:57 in the MSB. The pace just felt comfortable for me, and mile 1 was around 6:30. By mile 2 I realised that the Garmin was significantly off, as I had time to work out that the 12:55 elapsed worked out at just under 6:30 pace, before the watch announced a 6:42 second mile. Nonsense, and more at mile 3, where some more mental arithmetic told me that 19:31 elapsed time meant we were still bang on 6:30, whereas the Garmin reckoned 6:55. Thereafter I ignored the watch, although in its defence this is an enduring problem in St. Anne's park. All GPS devices underestimate distance there, due to the extensive tree cover. By this stage we were down at the lowest point of the course, along by the coast road, and here was the next surprise from this, well, surprising, course. A short stretch of xc, by God! Then, what had gone down, must come up, and we had a bit of climbing to do around by the amazing tree sculpture at the coast road/All Saint's rd. junction. I had slackened off a bit, pacewise, meanwhile. Billy had receded into the distance, and another clubmate (and another Dave) had also gone by, although his MSB performance had been even better than Billy's, so no harm. The first cracks were beginning to appear though, it has to be said. By the 5 mile point at the top of the avenue for the second time I was feeling the pressure. My strategy had been to go out at a decent pace, and try to hang in when it got tough near the end, but now I was feeling the lack of specific training, as all my efforts had been going into 5k training since the start of the year, if not before. At least I had the long slight downhill of the avenue to come, then the next unexpected diversion, into the Rose garden, to consolidate and try to hold my pace. By mile 7, I was at the bottom of the course again, with the uphill section to come, and I was dreading the last 3 miles. I could feel my legs getting more and more sluggish as I forced myself up along All Saint's road, then turned left towards the tennis courts. Around this point I realised that I was being threatened from behind by a clubmate, a clubmate fresh off a PB in the Liverpool Half moreover, so better prepared than I for this distance. I knew he tended to finish strong too, so as I swung around one of the many, many sharp bends on this twistiest of courses (not a PB course for older joints, methinks) and saw just how close he was (maybe 7/8 seconds) I thought I was done: goose status - cooked. There's no way I'll hold him off, I thought, with 2.5 miles still to go, but I dug in and concentrated on holding some sort of rhythm. There was a bit of course familiarity building up now, and I knew this section from a recent parkrun anyway. Once past the dodgy path along by the tennis courts, there was a right followed by a left to take us to the avenue, and then it was once more up to the top, then back down towards the finish. During the warmup I had noted the 9 mile marker, and didn't think it was a straight mile to the finish from there, so was mentally prepared for the second Rose garden excursion: many were not, it turned out. Getting to the hairpin turn was a psychological boost, but it also gave the chance to gauge the distance to my chaser without having to turn and look (a big no-no, as everyone knows). There was very little in it, and in a straight sprint, I wouldn't fancy my chances. Around here though, I found an extra gear, well, half a gear. I think that it was actually the 5k training kicking in, much as the lack of longer stuff told on me in the middle stages, now that the end was in sight. I could actually feel my leg turnover improving, though, and I prayed it would be enough. We swung around to the right again into the Rose garden, and I steeled myself for the coming challenge. It was a little longer through here than I wanted, with yet more twists and turns, but at least as I hit the avenue I could sneak a peek back. Barry was well back! Much more than I would have dared hope. Now it was a straight run to the finish, and I fixed on a kick point down the road. 150 metres out I gave it the gun, and Barry wasn't going to catch me now. Over the line, and while I knew a PB was long gone, 68.02 (by my watch) felt like a decent run. I spent a long time on my knees with my arse in the air at the finish. That was tough. 4th place in the 0-50's in the end. Official time 68:10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I spent a long time on my knees with my arse in the air at the finish.

Your lucky TbL wasn't around!! Great going as you said yourself it's been all 5k specific stuff up till now for you. Not a conducive course for quick times either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Very funny report... :pac: And well done on the race too!

PaulieC wrote: »

Pfft. I'm an artist. Haven't you read finneganswake???

Pfft. I'm an artist. Haven't you read finneganswake???

You mean #finneganswake ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

PaulieC wrote: »

I thought he was doing that to make a point about the course :D

Monday 28th

10 mile race, wu + cd. Report above.

2.18 @9.03

10 @6.49
    HR 156/171

0.76 @10.20

Tuesday 29th

Short recovery run. I'd forgotten how taxing a 10 miler can be. 3 was plenty.

3 @8.22

Wednesday 30th

Rest

Thursday 31st

4x6min tempo, 2min rec. Still feeling the effects of Monday as I set out. As usual, when tired but not completely knackered, overcompensated a little. Still, finished it out alright. Using lap button for the intervals, so whatever way it's set up, it wasn't showing elapsed time. I needed to take note of my starting time, then add 6 mins, and so on. Had to guess the first one, was 20 seconds out, so added them back on the third one. First one was from parkrun finish back down the course, second was a bit uphill heading back towards all-weather pitches. Looped around the the pond and back the way I'd come for the third, and took a long recovery for the fourth so I could get across the M50 at Greenhills and start in the lane.

2 @8.41

5.38min @6.38 pace
    6.00 @6.52
    6.23 @6.32
    6.04 @6.46

HR 132/162

1.58 @9min-plus

Friday 1st

Easy run.

6.06 @8.35

Saturday 2nd

Long run. Brisk enough, with a nippy finish.

10.58 @8.05

Sunday 3rd

Easy run.

6.63 @8.38

Week's mileage 47

Monday 4th

Easy run. Ran from house and met clubmates en route.

7.23 @8.42

Tuesday 5th

12x400 @3k pace, 70secs rec. Had to do these on my own, but thankfully a slightly mad clubmate jumped in for the first four, after he had finished an 800s session. Was aiming for about 85 seconds for these. Went pretty well, but with half an eye on the GIR on Sunday, sacked off the last two reps. Was starting to feel the tiredness in the limbs, and reckoned there wasn't much to be gained from bashing out two more. Felt even more relieved when I learned that the time trial for the road relays - a raced mile on the track - was to be this Thursday!

2.23 @8.32

10x400 - Av 85.5

HR 138/165 (the 165 a bit of a spike in the first rep. thereafter it didn't go over 160)

Wednesday 6th

Recovery run. Fairly easy, and needed to be.
    6.11 @8.59

Thursday 7th

1 mile time trial on track. So that teams could be picked for the upcoming road relays in Raheny. Was hoping to shave a few seconds off the 5.40 mark, at which I seem to be stuck for the last couple of years. About a dozen of us set off, and as we came around to complete the first lap, official timer TRR was calling out 82 seconds as I passed, which seemed promising. After that, I had no idea where I was at, other than that it hurt. As we took the bell, and rounded the bend, a figure hurtled passed me, and quickly established a 10 metre lead. Although he was in the 035 group, I had still been hopeful of beating him. That wasn't happening. My next concern was staving off the challenge of an 050 teammate, who was just behind me. Up ahead I now saw the third member of the team, seemingly flagging. As we hit the last bend with 200m to go, it looked as though I was going to catch him. I was out on my feet, though, and could do no more than hang on around the bend. 100 to go, and I looked for an extra gear that would take me past him, but it wasn't really there, and anyway he had upped his pace enough to hold me at arm's length. Across the line, and, after I had spent some time with my hands on my knees, I checked the watch - 5:41. Later I was officially given a time of 5:39, which cheered me up a bit. But in truth I had been hoping for something better. Anyway, the good news is I wasn't in any danger of consideration for the 2 mile leg, and anyway the guy I nearly caught had already done a few fast miles that evening, and wasn't a good performer on the track in any case.

2.25 @8.49

1.00 @5.41
    HR 154/167

2.25 @9.40

Friday 8th

Rest

Saturday 9th

Easy 7am run with a clubmate. Bloody cold it was too.

7.01 @8.21

Sunday 10th

Great Ireland run. Report to follow.

2.02 @8.39

6.23 @6.35 (41.03)

1.28 @9.29

Week's mileage 41

Great Ireland run

Everyone says the Great Ireland is a tough race. A course of the proverbial two halves, with the 5k point exactly marking the lowest part of the course, and also the spot where the climbs that are the dominant feature of the second half begin. On Sunday, to make things even more difficult, we had wind. Lots of wind. Admittedly, it was an unusual, easterly wind. That meant it was actually going to be in the runners' faces for most of the first half, and at their back thereafter. All this added up to one thing: getting a pb here was to be no easy thing. The funny thing was, my own pb and only sub-40 10k, had been achieved in this very race, on the exact same course, back in 2012. So how was this going to unfold? I'd say nobody had much of a clue.

I kept telling everyone we were going to be blown down to the first corner, but it didn't happen that way. It was a sluggish enough start, and I noted how many - admittedly faster - clubmates quickly opened up a massive gap. I was running with two or three of similar ability to me, meanwhile, and they were happy for me to set the pace. As we turned onto the North road the wind immediately became apparent. It was important not to get isolated along here, but I seemed always to be at the head of my own group, and at the tail end of another. As we headed towards Chesterfield I felt myself relax a bit, and was able to pick up the pace a little, without putting in any extra perceived effort. I pulled away from my teammates a little bit. It was time to start thinking about the halfway point, and the climbing to come.

Miles 1-3 6:31, 6:27, 6:21

Sometimes climbing steadily can feel slightly easier than trying to run faster on the flat. Ascending Military road, I tried to keep the breathing even, and thankfully I was passed by few on the way up. That out of the way, it was S-bend time. When you look at them dispassionately, they're really not that bad. And yet, those undulating bends do something to tired legs. A teammate had appeared on my shoulder, meanwhile, and for a while we worked together. Then, as we passed underneath St. Mary's, I started to flag a little, and gradually he pulled away. Another long climb to negotiate, and then there was 'just' the Furry glen to contend with. I knew these things were coming, however. What I didn't expect was a pig of a headwind for the entire finishing straight. After all we'd been through, it seemed unnecessarily cruel. I slogged my way along, not sure whether the finish was around the corner on chesterfield, or not. I didn't think I had any kick in me in any case. That was a long, long finish. Eventually I calculated that I was close enough, and emptied what was already a very empty tank. I crossed the line in 41:03.

Miles 4-6 6:33, 6:46, 6.55, 0.23 @6.28

• Advertisement

Monday 11th

Rest. Working, actually. Was chucking it down all day anyway.

Tuesday 12th

4x4mins @MP, 2min rec. To the park in the afternoon for this. Hard to gauge MP after so much speed stuff, unsurprisingly. First one was a bit downhill, and a climb on the third.

2.01 @8.38

4min @6.53
    2min @9.21
    4min @7.02
    2min @9.57
    4min @7.23
    2min @9.13
    4min @7.11

HR 135/153

1.61 @9.00

Wednesday

Recovery run. Easy peasy. Up to the waterworks for a change.

7.14 @8.44

Thursday 14th

8x400m at mile race pace. A slight change to the plan, with an eye on Sunday's road relays. Now, 400s are one thing, but when coach suggests running them "at your race pace from last week", looks were exchanged. 82 second laps? We were allowed to stop when the lead runner hit the line, to get the full minute recovery, but I ended up finishing them all, and getting 48-50 secs of a recovery. Just about survived.

1.7 @8.45

8x400m

81 + 52 rec
    81 + 51
    83 + 50
    82 + 50
    83 + 50
    83 + 48
    85 + 48

HR 147/169

1.7 @8.51

Friday 15th

Rest

Saturday 16th

Easy short run.

4.4 @8.14

Sunday 17th

National road relays. We were out in force for this, even if we didn't figure in the medal tally. There is always a fantastic standard at this event, and a brilliant atmosphere. It's a privilege to be able to compete in the same arena as the likes of Clohissey, Travers, Traynor et al, and to see some athletics greats out to watch the action. Is it me or is Kiernan looking more and more like a Time Lord these days? I had the first leg in the Masters, so the gap to the pointy end was all of my own making, but I had a little battle with a 035 teammate (conceded), and he did drag me past a Raheny runner. I think we started and finished in 4th place, which was our best result all day, even if it was out of a field of 6. Always a great day, and possibly the best on the calendar, bar DCM.

1 @9.01

1 @5.41
    HR 151/165

1.97 @8.56

Week's mileage 28

Monday 18th

Easy recovery run.
    3.01 @8.46

Tuesday 19th

Rest

Wednesday 20th

10x200m @3k pace 1min rec. Did these solo on the track.

2.24 @8.19

10x200 (40, 40, 44, 41, 41, 43, 41, 40, 41, 41)

HR 129/152

1.13 @8.25

Thursday 21st

Rest

Friday 22nd

5x1k. Did these in the concert field in Marlay, as was unable to make track on Thursday. Also miscounted, so ended up doing 5 instead of 6. No matter.

1k @8.14 (wu)

5x1k (3.51, 3.52, 3.49, 3.48, 3.51)

HR 138/162

1k @8.43 (cd)

Saturday 23rd

Rest

Sunday 24th

Long run.

11.02 @8.37

A fragmented week, due to heavy workload. I did get both sessions done, and a long run, but missing those easy runs affects the overall volume and isn't ideal.

Week's mileage 25

Monday 25th

Easy run.

5.11 @8.24

Tuesday 26th

Rest. Couldn't make track session due to work.

Wednesday 27th

Track session. 1500, 1000, 800, 600, 400 @5k pace. 4/3/2/1.5 min rec. A brute of a session. Took every second of recovery, and needed it, especially after the shock to the system of the initial 3.75 laps. I thought it would get easier as the distances shortened, but the fiendish genius of the session is that each rep has you begging for the finish line. Dividends to be reaped on Sunday, though, hopefully.

2.01 @8.02

1500 @6.04 (5.39)
    1000 @6.02 (3.44)
    800 @5.57 (2.57)
    600 @5.49 (2.10)
    400 @5.42 (1.25)

HR 133/165
    1.73 @8.31

Thursday 28th

Rest

Friday 29th

8 mile run. Problem with HRM, no HR data.

8.02 @8.29

Saturday 30th

Easy run.

5.02 @8.11

Sunday 1st May

Tallaght 5k race. Report to follow.

2.69 @8.19

3.1 @6.09 (19.07)

1.89 @9.02

Week's mileage 33

Race report: Tallaght 5k incorporating Dublin Novice Championship.

A big target race for me, and also my own club event, so I was really hoping for a strong run here. The day was a little windy, and the prevailing SW wind had re-asserted itself, meaning that what breeze there was would be in our faces coming up the Greenhills road, which is where this course shows its teeth. We set off exactly on time (a fact noted by some around me), and despite a bit of pre-off polite barging-through-the-crowd I still found myself held up as we got underway. It may not have represented actual time lost in the end, as I was utterly spent crossing the finish line, but it was hard not to feel that the start cost me a sub-19 run. Once I got going though, I felt ok, and the first mile was a 5:57. I would need to maintain this pace to have any pb joy, and though I felt I kept the pace up quite well, mile 2 was a slightly disappointing 6:10. I was running with a nice little group of about 5 lads, but no clubmates. My usual rivals were somewhere behind me, but in fairness I had been training exclusively for 5k since January. I would have been concerned had any of the usual suspects been giving me a race.

(New para, especially for Paulie) One by one, our group had been shedding members. One guy about my age had been right in front of me the whole time, and for some reason he seemed to move over every time I shifted sideways, so that he was back in front of me. All unintentional, I'm sure, and in any case I wasn't trying to overtake, just wanting clear space in front of me. As it was, I brushed his heel a couple of times. Anyway eventually he shifted to the side, and this time I was going through. As I did, though, I'm sure I heard him mutter "sorry". Odd. So then there was just me and this big chap from Bros Pearse, who had been doing most of the frontrunning. We were on Greenhills road now, and in addition to the drag, there was that persistent breeze, and also I was beginning to hurt quite badly. I was really conscious of the overwhelming temptation to just coast in, but I had trained long and hard for this race. Did I have just a bit more? I forced the legs through a bit quicker, and then the BP guy was falling away behind me all of a sudden. This was it. I didn't have much, in fairness. The last mile was 6.30, but very few, if any had passed me, so I concentrated on staving off any late attacks, and crossed the line just outside 19 minutes, and in a rare old jock. I spent a couple of minutes face down full-length on the track, and it wasn't amateur dramatics.

Monday 2nd

Rest

Tuesday 3rd

8 mile run.

8.03 @8.17

Wednesday 4th

8 mile run.

8.13 @8.26

Thursday 5th

6x400m. Race upcoming at the weekend. Paces a bit slow, reckon I wasn't recovered from Tallaght 5k.

1.74 @8.40

6x400m (90, 88, 89, 88, 89, 89)

1.45 @8.25

Friday 6th

Short easy run.

4.3 @8.41

Saturday 7th

Le Cheile 5k race. A fast course which yielded my first-ever sub 19min run a few years back. Went into this with high hopes, but was just getting over a cold, and felt a bit 'chesty' on the day, which was enough to knock me out of the race after barely a mile. I was sort of surprised to find myself suddenly stopped at the side of the road. A first for me in a 5k, and I was pretty downcast, trudging back the way I had come against the flow of runners (I stayed on the grass verge out of the way). Afterwards I rationalised it, and a 5k is just too much of a lungbuster to go into less than 100% ready. There was no way I would have gotten around that course at the pace I wanted to run, and I wasn't interested in a so-so run. After a few cakes (great spread, by the way) and tea I headed off home, and straight away I ditched the plan to run Terenure in favour of the Bob Heffernan. Back on the horse.

2.77 @8.09

1.58 @6.20

Sunday 8th

Long run. 14 miles to everyone else's 12, which required a jaunt around the 'duck loop' out the back of the Bohernabreena waterworks. Found myself running with a clubmate intent on a brisk pace, and decided to just go with it. Maybe a touch of self-flagellation involved, after yesterday's disaster. Very warm later on, had the top off and tongue was hanging out by the time I got back.

14.01 @8.00

HR 135/158

Week's mileage 44

Monday 9th

Short easy run.

5.04 @8.32

Tuesday 10th

4x1mile @10k pace, 3 min rec. Swapped Tuesday's and Thursday's sessions this week on coach's advice, with a 5k race upcoming on Tuesday next. In the park in the afternoon for this. Very warm, was glad I drove to it so I could pick up a sports drink en route.
    The session was 4-6, but very quickly I trimmed it to 4, after I needed almost 5 mins recovery from the first rep. It got easier as the body got used to the rhythm. Haven't done mile reps or a tempo in quite a while, and it showed.

2 @8.34

4x1m (6.33, 6.16, 6.26, 6.29)

HR 131/164

1 @10.05

Wednesday 11th

Recovery run. From club with a couple of buddies. Very clammy again. Feeling quite drained still. Will push Thursday session out to Friday, I think.

7.59 @8.21

HR 126/143

Thursday 12th

Short easy run. Warm again, and again feeling quite drained.

5.14 @8.28

Friday 13th

6x600m @3k pace, 2 min rec. Did this solo on the track at around lunchtime. Very warm, but with a perceptible cooling breeze. If there's one thing that can be said about track, it's this. It's an awful lot better with company. Sessions like these feel noticeably easier when you have a group to share the burden with. But C'est la vie. After the first rep confirmed that I was running into that breeze twice on the straights, I started all the rest bar the penultimate at the 200m mark, so that I would have the following wind more often. Tough but rewarding workout.

2.46 @8.35

6x600 (2.09, 2.10, 2.07, 2.06, 2.07, 2.03)*

HR 134/170

1.12 @9.17

* An average of 2.07, or 5.41 per mile average. Looks like I did them at mile pace, rather than 3k. Oops.

• Advertisement

Saturday 14th

Not quite a long run. Wasn't fixed on anything when I went out, then realised that with a race on Tuesday night it suited me better not to run at all on Sunday, so that I could do something on Monday, as is my day-before-the-race wont. Was just pondering how best to mentally adjust from about 6 to about 10, when I ran into a clubmate, which solved the problem. She was running on grass, so ran a few fields with her before heading up home.

9.01 @8.27

HR 123/141

Sunday 15th

Rest.

Week's mileage 41

Advertisement