Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭perry123

tipptom wrote: »
    The people did not vote to retain the Senate,they just voted against what Kenny wanted to do and the powers he wanted,and what has that got to do with cronyism and Labour nominating a gombeen like Martin.
    Gombeen is right and he is not, as xenophile says on tipp fm 25 years. when he was he was rude and cut off many who disagreed with him. the pothole journnalist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

perry123 wrote: »
    Gombeen is right and he is not, as xenophile says on tipp fm 25 years. when he was he was rude ..........
    Xenophile wrote: »
    Seamus who had been working with Tipp FM up to this year, for almost twenty five years on arguably the stations most popular programme covering North and South Tipperary.

Please quote accurately, note above the word "ALMOST"..............

Did you ever complain about his rudeness to the station, or to the Broadcasting Authority, believe me rude journalists do not last long on air.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

clearly you've never heard of Stephan Nolan

Is this the Stephen Nolan you are referring to. If so hardly a valid comparison!

Stephen Nolan is a changed man. Since turning 40 last year, he's undergone something of a transformation and not just in terms of his physical appearance.

His weight loss over the past 12 months has been dramatic, admittedly. He shed a massive eight stone through a strict diet and exercise regime, though a return to bad eating habits has seen him pile on a few pounds of late.

But there have been more subtle changes since he hit the milestone birthday in August 2013. Stephen has calmed down. His priorities have shifted. While he still lives and breathes broadcasting, work is no longer the be-all and end-all that it once was. He still loves his job passionately, enough to work seven day shifts between Belfast and Manchester, combining Radio Ulster and Radio Five Live shifts, but he's also come to realise that there is more to life, such as travel and football.

Finding a place that's been "good for the soul" has been a factor in shaping this less frenetic side to Stephen. The 41-year-old has figured out a healthy work/life balance, which sees him take regular breaks to sunny Santa Monica in California. He's already lined up five trips to the States in 2015 - a total of 15 weeks out of 52. That's over a quarter of a year he plans to spend in California, recharging his batteries. In his 20s and 30s, such luxuries as holidays would have been inconceivable.

"I do still work seven days a week but I'm changing quite radically and fundamentally in terms of how I live now," he explains, as we catch up for a chat to mark his 10th year as a broadcaster for BBC Northern Ireland.

"Up until a few years ago, I would've worked a seven day week and not taken any holidays at all. In fact, about three years ago, the BBC insisted I go on holidays because I wouldn't take time off.

"I hit 40 last year and I know it sounds like a cliche, but I did change. Yes, I'm still working seven days a week but I'm also taking two week breaks quite often during 2015, that will see me go back and forth to Santa Monica. That's how I want to live my life now

"I want to spend quite a lot of time over there. I've been bitten by the travel bug. I don't know if that is something that comes with getting older, but I do really enjoy seeing a bit of the world now, learning more about it. Even as I say that out loud, I'm aware that it sounds cheesy and that my 20-year-old self would say 'wise up' but that's how I feel now."

He doesn't have to try too hard to sell me the charms of Santa Monica, a place he describes as "not particularly classy, but beautiful" and, of course, warm.

He stays in the same hotel each time he visits and the locals have got to know him.

"It's just so calm and still and for me, is one place where I've clicked," he says. "Going there recharges my batteries big time. Every time I come back, I'm bouncing. My soul calms right down.

"There's a street called Third Street, where all these buskers hang out and perform every night. They are so talented, they could easily win The X Factor. I just sit on the pavement for an hour, in the sunshine, listening to them play. Every time I go there, I feel my heart beating slower. It's hard to explain but that's just how I feel."

Given the amount of time he's already spending in California, does he think he'll ever be tempted to move there permanently?

"Not while my mum is still alive," he tells me. "Audrey is very important to me and I know how important I am to her.

"As time goes on I can see myself spending more and more time out there but it's not as if I run a business and could ask someone to step in and look after it while I'm away. I need to be here for my job but I'm stretching it a lot more. But no, I'll absolutely not go while mum is still here."

Just a few weeks ago Stephen brought Audrey and her best friend Wee Betty to the States for a once-in-a-life-time holiday. The trio visited Las Vegas before heading to Santa Monica and the award-winning presenter spent much of the time trailing around after the pair as they sniffed out some bargains. He pretends to be exasperated as he recounts this but anyone who tunes into Stephen's Radio Ulster show knows he is a dutiful son, devoted to Audrey. It's just been the two of them since his father Raymond passed away around 11 years ago, though Wee Betty will be joining them for Christmas dinner this year.

His work ethos comes from his love for the job but also, surprisingly, a deep-seated insecurity and need to prove himself. This uncertainty, he concedes, is at odds with the public's perception of him as a larger-than-life, self-assured personality, grilling government officials and politicians.

"I work the way I do because firstly, I've always wanted to do it and now that I am, I want to do it even more," he says. "And secondly, if I'm honest, there is an insecurity there. I don't actually think I'm this great broadcaster who'll be around forever.

"I feel that I'm still needing to prove myself and I think that's true of many high-profile broadcasters. I feel lucky to be there. I know that's not what the public expects me to say but it's true.

"When the listeners hear me giving politicians a hard time, they possibly perceive me to be this tough guy who is very self-assured. Yes, I'm very self-assured when I'm interviewing politicians because I have to be, that's the job I do.

"But am I self-assured that I'm going to be in broadcasting for the rest of my life? Well, you have to work at that, at keeping the show up there. It's the most listened-to radio show in Northern Ireland, it's the biggest show in the country for the past 11 years. We're number one but I don't want to be the Manchester United of Northern Ireland, I don't want to see us going down the table."

Ah, the old football analogy. Of course, these days Stephen's right at home talking football, though he admits he still can't quite get to grips with the names of the entire Manchester United football team. He holds a season ticket for Old Trafford for the next few years and points out that his passion for the game is another sign that he's embracing a life outside of broadcasting.

"You see, there are other things that I'm adding into my life, so it's not all about work," he points out. "I love going to Old Trafford. I couldn't name you more than a handful of the players but I love the buzz, the atmosphere."

Does he think turning 40 has seen a softening in his interviewing technique as well?

"I think, if we're honest, we all change as we grow up," he says. "I talk differently in real life now that I'm 41 and not in my 20s and I'd like to think that's reflected in how I come across on the show. So yeah, I think I'm slightly calmer on air."

Stephen hesitates before continuing.

"Here's the thing," he says. "For the first few years that the radio show was trying to establish itself, it was 10 years ago and there were already established massive programmes on Radio Ulster like Good Morning Ulster and Talkback.

"For me to come in and have any impact, I had to hold my own with programmes that were established for years. I couldn't come in quietly. I was coming in, surrounded by these colossal programmes. Now that I'm the biggest show in the country, I'm not under as much pressure to shout from the rooftops. But with that influence comes responsibility and the knowledge that I have to get it right."

Over the 10 years he's been playing a starring role within BBC NI, he has won numerous awards, including the Nick Clarke award 2014 for his interview this year with Pastor James McConnell following his controversial comments on Muslims and their faith. His Radio Ulster morning show and his television programme, Nolan Live, are hugely popular and he's successfully crossed over to Radio Five Live, presenting a hard-hitting network show. He has also presented documentaries for television and the recent Story of a Lifetime series, meeting people who have undergone remarkable journeys. And he'll be back on our screens next Tuesday, December 23, hosting a new festive game show, Five Gold Rings, on BBC One.

But ask him what he's most proud of during those years and there's no hesitation.

"It's when that one, lone voice contacts us and is up against the huge brick wall that is bureaucracy or a government department and we are able to empower that one voice," he says.

A case in point was that of Jean Faulkner, a 92-year-old woman who was being forced out of her residential care home. A relative contacted the Nolan Show and outlined the situation. Stephen travelled to the home and interviewed Jean, making her story public and shaming the relevant authorities into reversing their decision. Jean got to stay.

"How could I not be proud of that?" asks Stephen. "We gave her a voice. But there are the little stories too, the ones that don't make the headlines, like Kathleen, who'd been listening to the show for years and called up one day to tell us she hadn't been able to visit her husband's grave.

"It turned out the council had taken off the bus route without any consultation and she hadn't been able to go and see the grave for a few years. She rang the show and we got involved. We had listeners ringing up, offering to give her a lift. And what happened? The council reinstated the bus route. Those are the wee things that give me a reality check, knowing that people rely on that programme.

"I've no doubt that the expectation is there that our show will deliver and we often hear that people have been advised to come to us rather than go through the courts. We have to make sure we look at things properly, and then get results.

"I'm not the First Minister or an elected representative, it's not up to me to decide how the country is run. What the Nolan Show is about is giving that individual a voice so they can shout through me at the government or the politicians."

Stephen says he gets genuinely frustrated when he hears people dismiss politics as boring or criticise the politicians for not doing their jobs properly. Despite his on-air banter and rigorous questioning technique, he says he has the utmost respect for the majority of Northern Irish political representatives, whom he describes as "decent, honourable people".

"A lot of them are very intelligent, experienced people and it annoys me when we get callers calling them useless," he says. "That's just not true. They're not useless and some of them have a very detailed grasp of the issues that are of interest to people here."

He is reluctant to describe himself as a "workaholic", saying it's a term that should be used for hard-working people like taxi drivers, who do 10 to 12 hour shifts, every day of the week. His shifts may be shorter but he still works a seven day week too, commuting between his native city and Manchester, from where he presents his Radio Five Live slots.

His heart belongs to both places, he says, and he'd be hard-pushed to choose one job over another.

"I absolutely love Five Live," he says. "They've thrown a lot of great opportunities at me, foreign gigs like going to Ground Zero in New York, reporting from Greece during the economic crisis and next year, I'll be playing a role for them in the General Election.

"Then I love the local politics of Northern Ireland, there is an edge and aggression to it, which I adore too. If I had to give one up, it would be a 50/50 call. I don't think I could right now, but as I get older, that will have to change too."

This new slimmed-down, mellower version of Stephen Nolan no longer strives for the "big adrenaline strikes" he would have chased in his 20s. He says that now he's 41 he doesn't want drama or ups and downs. He much prefers to live "on a constant".

So with 10 years behind him and a new year around the corner, what are his hopes and dreams now?

"I want to continue to grow as a person," he says. "I'm still finding my place in terms of who I want to be and what I want to do for the rest of my life.

"When I hit 40, I suddenly became aware that there is not a whole life-time ahead of me now. So what do I want to do with it? I want to travel a lot and get better at my job. And I want to continue to look after my mum.

"That's the kind of simple life I want right now, nothing more complicated than that."

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Please quote accurately, note above the word "ALMOST"..............

Did you ever complain about his rudeness to the station, or to the Broadcasting Authority, believe me rude journalists do not last long on air.
    25 years is 1990. he was not even "ALMOST" there then. he was complained to the ba not by me and when asked by a paper had no comment in his arrogant way. he who would condemn anyone who would not comment to him was above it.

• Advertisement

Trouble for ‘Tipp Today’

A complaint against Tipp FM’s ‘Tipp Today’ radio show was the other complaint upheld in the most recent round of complaints; a show from August 16 was found to have acted insensitively in dealing with a complaint from a listener with a disability.
    The show had been running a text message competition to win tickets to the county’s All-Ireland hurling semi-final with Kilkenny, and had received a text from a blind listener who complained that an SMS-format competition excluded blind listeners who could not send a text.
    The presenter had remarked, “But if she’s visually impaired, how would she be able to see the match? You know, I mean would it be worth her while entering the competition?”
    The same show also broadcast a text message where it was claimed that an African immigrant had had their hair braided in a cultural style for €300, a fee paid for by a HSE welfare officer.
    Though the station claimed it had broadcast responses from a welfare officer and a staff member from an African newspaper, who said the story was untrue, it was found not to met the fairness, objectivity and impartiality requirements of the Broadcasting Act.
    It was also found to have failed to ensure that content did not prejudice respect for human dignity, as the complaints committee took the view that the item could encourage prejudice towards some members of Tipperary’s African community.

perry123 wrote: »
    Trouble for ‘Tipp Today’

A complaint against Tipp FM’s ‘Tipp Today’ radio show was the other complaint upheld in the most recent round of complaints; a show from August 16 was found to have acted insensitively in dealing with a complaint from a listener with a disability.
    The show had been running a text message competition to win tickets to the county’s All-Ireland hurling semi-final with Kilkenny, and had received a text from a blind listener who complained that an SMS-format competition excluded blind listeners who could not send a text.
    The presenter had remarked, “But if she’s visually impaired, how would she be able to see the match? You know, I mean would it be worth her while entering the competition?”
    The same show also broadcast a text message where it was claimed that an African immigrant had had their hair braided in a cultural style for €300, a fee paid for by a HSE welfare officer.

A thing of nothing or a ball of smoke when taken in the context of

"The person who never made a mistake never made anything"

Tipperary Local Radio has had as of now 65,553 views on boards.ie, yet I cannot see one complaint about Seamus Martin on the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Tipperary Local Radio has had as of now 65,553 views on boards.ie, yet I cannot see one complaint about Seamus Martin on the thread!
    So he could be lined up for a Senate seat for that and for being AKs election agent,will the approval of the crony merry go round ever stop.

Come back FF and bring Donie Cassidy with you,the Oireachtas golf outings are just not the same without them.

On the plus side,i know more about Stephan Nolan than I would have ever known heretofore biggrin.png

Come back FF and bring Donie Cassidy with you,the Oireachtas golf outings are just not the same without them.

Shur, we might even get a Labour Tent at the Clonmel Races!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

So he could be lined up for a Senate seat for that and for being AKs election agent biggrin.png

Is this a serious thread? Bar one poster here who doesn't know his Arse from his elbow about everything speculating about it......

'Election agents' don't get Seanad seats. If that was the case there'd Need to be 2 seanads.

Labour will be decimated at the next election. If I was Alan Kelly's election agent I'd be more interested in my wages than the prospect of a Seanad seat which will never materialise for numerous reasons.

Regarding mistakes seamus Martin made, there's plenty broadcasters much better and bigger than him who've committed bigger blunders. Look at pat kenny on the frontline programme. The 'fake tweet' destroyed Sean Gallagher who was leading the polls at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Based on the Times front-page article today I'd say no one with any link to Kelly Is getting a Senate nomination from Labour. The way he is going Kelly might not even be in the Labour parliamentary come the election.

and you read all 65,553?

the BAI the people you said i should complainn to did no think so. and there is complaints re martin on this forum so you are wrong again,as you are wrong to say he is almost 25 years there. i am finished arguing with you, I have no time and you seem to be trolling. you should go back and count all the times you have make statements here that are simply not true. you are very loose with facts. you would suit kelly well

I am sure all the Alan Kelly watchers will want to know the details!

ALAN KELLY HAS said it’s not a bad thing that he got emotional during last night’s meeting of the Labour parliamentary party.

The Environment Minister was speaking after it emerged last night that he became emotional and even tearful as he insisted to Labour colleagues that he did not leak internal polling suggesting the party could lose up to 20 Dáil seats.

Kelly would not be drawn on exactly what happened at the meeting last night, saying it was a private meeting of the Labour parliamentary party.

But he told reporters in Dublin today:

I don’t think necessarily, if somebody got emotional during a meeting, that that’s particularly a bad thing. I think that actually shows a certain level of spirit and interest in the topic.

Addressing his parliamentary colleagues for around two minutes at the weekly meeting in Leinster House, Kelly said he was upset that some of them believed he was behind the leak.

“He paused, he was silent for a long period, he took a glass of water, he showed emotion, he’s human,” said one source.

Another source at the meeting said that the minister was visibly upset and shed some tears during the pause in his brief address.

Speaking today, Kelly said he expected Labour to “rise substantially” in the polls in the lead-up to the next election. The party has risen two points to 9% in the latest Red C poll for Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

What an actress. A wimp who has been caught out.

Paddy Power Red C Poll.......Dec 3rd.2015.

Labour Party up 2% in Poll.

FINE GAEL HAS suffered a double setback in a new opinion poll published today, with rising support for Labour and Fianna Fáil.

Enda Kenny’s party is down three points to 28%, while its coalition partner is up two points to 9%, according to the Red C/Paddy Power survey.

I am sure all the Alan Kelly watchers will want to know the details!

ALAN KELLY HAS said it’s not a bad thing that he got emotional during last night’s meeting of the Labour parliamentary party.

The Environment Minister was speaking after it emerged last night that he became emotional and even tearful as he insisted to Labour colleagues that he did not leak internal polling suggesting the party could lose up to 20 Dáil seats.

Kelly would not be drawn on exactly what happened at the meeting last night, saying it was a private meeting of the Labour parliamentary party.

But he told reporters in Dublin today:

I don’t think necessarily, if somebody got emotional during a meeting, that that’s particularly a bad thing. I think that actually shows a certain level of spirit and interest in the topic.

Addressing his parliamentary colleagues for around two minutes at the weekly meeting in Leinster House, Kelly said he was upset that some of them believed he was behind the leak.

“He paused, he was silent for a long period, he took a glass of water, he showed emotion, he’s human,” said one source.

Another source at the meeting said that the minister was visibly upset and shed some tears during the pause in his brief address.

Speaking today, Kelly said he expected Labour to “rise substantially” in the polls in the lead-up to the next election. The party has risen two points to 9% in the latest Red C poll for Paddy Power.

Aw,did poor AK47 shed bullets instead of tears?

Aw,did poor AK47 shed bullets instead of tears?

As far as I know nobody was hurt ! He will keep his bullets for the Election Campaign. He has plenty of big targets in this constituency!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

This thread has really gone to the dogs...

Are politicians aware that proposals exist for a Motorway to be built to take traffic from Limerick to Waterford via Mallow. Just have a look at the map courtesy of Wikipedia and see how nonsensical it is to bring traffic down through Mallow when the obvious route is around Tipperary town, Cahir, Clonmel and Carrick on Suir, this route is used at present by 100% of commuters between Limerick and Waterford.

This new proposed route was first mooted by a Fianna Fail led Government in 2005 in a Document called Transport 21. Just another one of the silly mistakes of a Government too long in power.

Politicians of Tipperary please wake up to the realisation that the N24 which runs all the way through South Tipperary i.e. from the far side of Limerick Junction to the far side of Carrick on Suir is in a dreadful state and should be prioritised for an upgrade to at least dual carriage way status.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Corridor

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Great news , Michael Dillon from Portroe is running :D .

• Advertisement

Great news , Michael Dillon from Portroe is running :D .

Is he running as an Independent or a Party member ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Is he running as an Independent or a Party member ?

Wasn't he in the Labour Party at one point and then ran as an independent in the local elections. Either way he wont be in with any chance of a seat but this is bad news for Kelly who didn't need the already small labour vote split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

got 296 fp in last locals. so would say no one too worried about him.

jem wrote: »
    got 296 fp in last locals. so would say no one too worried about him.

Yes, I just checked The Irish Times website, he ran as an Independent in the last Local Election and got 296 votes. He must have money to burn, he is sure to loose his deposit.

Better news for Kelly, Joe Hannigan who got 2028 votes in the last Locals is moving over the border to run in Offaly.

touts wrote: »
    Wasn't he in the Labour Party at one point and then ran as an independent in the local elections. Either way he wont be in with any chance of a seat but this is bad news for Kelly who didn't need the already small labour vote split.

And he`s from Port same as Kelly . He was canvassing for Sinn Fein up to about 4 weeks ago with another Head the ball :rolleyes: ! The lad is not the sharpest . True story , he ran in the Nenagh area in the Locals , he was in Clonmel one day canvassing , someone told him it`s not part of his Electoral Constituency :D . A lot of Youngsters will vote for him for the craic .

Better news for Kelly, Joe Hannigan who got 2028 votes in the last Locals is moving over the border to run in Offaly.

He`s not moving over the Border , Large part of North Tipp has merged with Biffo Land for General Elections much to the disgust ( rightly so ) of most of the people living there . Many people in the Tipp side considering not voting in protest , they will probaly vote for Hannigan now though ! Wonder how the people of Carrig/Rverstown feel , 90% plus of the parish in Tipp but play GAA in Offaly !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

FF are out early, had Michael Smith Jnr & Mícheál Martin at the door a while ago

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

At least the counties here still exist. Whole counties dissapeared in England a few decades back. The Normans and Germans could not manage it but the Government did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

FF are out early, had Michael Smith Jnr & Mícheál Martin at the door a while ago

I was out with them

Advertisement