Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Anyone at the vb thing tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

yep.
    Only TD's to turn up were healy and mcGrath.
    All other non TD canidates turned up.
    Guess AK47 must have run from the firing line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Tippjohn wrote: »
    The great thing about N Tipp and S Tipp being one big Tipp:-) Is that they both have been spending their money as fast as possible to stop the other end using it. Every cockamamy road scheme under the sun. Gutters in cahir, an Island in Ballyclerihan ( a village that is spelt differently on each road sign of the three ways in) An Island and cycle track for the Clonmel by pass which is used mainly for sulky racing etc etc etc. All where the traffic is slow, yet where there is a clear fast road the surface is poor.
    The cycle track in Clobmel is used and enjoyed by walkers runners and cyclists. Have never ever seen sulky racing on the track itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

It may be my poor English " clonmel by pass which is used mainly for sulky racing" There is no increase in walking or cycling, I would consider that the cycle track actually makes it dangerous for walkers. My point was that money is squandered on gimmicks when the roads in general are poor. Look at the road from Cahir to Clonmel. All white lines and bends. A main artery that is a tractors dream :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

It may be my poor English " clonmel by pass which is used mainly for sulky racing" There is no increase in walking or cycling, I would consider that the cycle track actually makes it dangerous for walkers. My point was that money is squandered on gimmicks when the roads in general are poor. Look at the road from Cahir to Clonmel. All white lines and bends. A main artery that is a tractors dream :-)

Walkers shouldn't be walking on the cycle track precisely because it is dangerous. They are supposed to stay on the walking path beside it.

As to the cost issue well the investment along there would not have paid for more than a couple of meters of Cahir-Clonmel road to be upgraded and it probably came from a different budget anyway.

• Advertisement

jem wrote: »
    yep.

Only Healy & McGrath. That's shocking but don't expect anything better from Kelly, Hayes from Coonan. Answering questions from the public isn't exactly their favourite thing to do. And didn't they know they should have put the invitation to Lowry in a brown envelope and slipped it under his back door.

We will have to differ, the time it took reflects a huge cost. It changed nothing in reality. I would rather it had gone to STGH but there we are, a budget that had to be spent.

Are you serious or just taken the mickey here? The cost if installing the cycle/walking track would be miniscule compared to upgrading the road. By the way 75% of the road to Cahir I above average National Primary non motorway standard. Even allowing for this I passed along the inner relief road about 30 minutes ago in miserable heavy rain. I saw half a dozen walkers and a similar amount of joggers using the walkway. Furthermore the cycle track I for cyclists not walkers so not sure what point your making here. The problem as I see it particularly in South Tipp and Clonmel is that we have elected 2 hardworking ci councillors to our parliament neither of whom have any clout nationally and operate on a very negative agenda. I know both TDs quite well and both are very personable affable fellows but.....

Who is talking about upgrading the road. I am talking about repairs. It is the main East West road and is quite frankly not suitable for purpose. Just did Clonmel to Cahir at 35 mph with dozens of others due to a slow vehicle. The whole route is designed to infuriate and bring out the worst in drivers.

Who is talking about upgrading the road. I am talking about repairs. It is the main East West road and is quite frankly not suitable for purpose. Just did Clonmel to Cahir at 35 mph with dozens of others due to a slow vehicle. The whole route is designed to infuriate and bring out the worst in drivers.

Drive this road daily. Busy road bad bits but loads of good stretches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

yep.

Reassuring to know that most of the TD’s in Tipperary are intelligent and have enough self esteem not to appear at the VB meeting only to be gratuitously insulted by Vincent Browne. I am sure that they felt a lot more satisfied staying at home watching and enjoying a great win by the Irish Football Team.

As regards AK 47 this was never designed for the firing line. Alan Kelly is proving to be a great street fighter, his nick name is a good one for someone who tells it as it is and shoots from the hip.

I wonder if he will be allowed to use his nick name on the ballot paper, as name recognition is very important in politics.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

touts wrote: »
    Only Healy & McGrath. That's shocking but don't expect anything better from Kelly, Hayes from Coonan. Answering questions from the public isn't exactly their favourite thing to do. And didn't they know they should have put the invitation to Lowry in a brown envelope and slipped it under his back door.

Why should a TD be obliged to turn up and have Browne ask a series of simplistic questions? Browne insults and ridicules his guests and then feigns surprise when most sitting TD's won't appear on his show. BTW Michael Lowry has done more than most for Tipp down through the years but do you think VB would recognise that? no way, there would'nt be any viewer ratings in that, better the cheap shot, it's been his modus operandi down through the years.

Why should a TD be obliged to turn up and have Browne ask a series of simplistic questions? Browne insults and ridicules his guests and then feigns surprise when most sitting TD's won't appear on his show. BTW Michael Lowry has done more than most for Tipp down through the years but do you think VB would recognise that? no way, there would'nt be any viewer ratings in that, better the cheap shot, it's been his modus operandi down through the years.

Well I think the main reason Lowry won't be interviewed has more to do with his "modus operandi" while a minister.

Well I think the main reason Lowry won't be interviewed has more to do with his "modus operandi" while a minister.

You don't top the poll as Lowry has done without doing something right. Anyway going in and being all submissive to Browne would'nt be Lowry's style, he would have decked him before he got to his first of many ad breaks.

You don't top the poll as Lowry has done without doing something right. Anyway going in and being all submissive to Browne would'nt be Lowry's style, he would have decked him before he got to his first of many ad breaks.

Lowry tops the poll because he is a very active glorified County Councillor. As a national politician he is, to quote the findings of the Moriarity Tribunal, “profoundly corrupt to a degree that was nothing short of breath-taking”. In another country he would be finishing his lengthy prison sentence about now. But in Ireland he's looking forward to coasting into another 5 years of pension building.

Lowry tops the poll because he is a very active glorified County Councillor. As a national politician he is, to quote the findings of the Moriarity Tribunal, “profoundly corrupt to a degree that was nothing short of breath-taking”. In another country he would be finishing his lengthy prison sentence about now. But in Ireland he's looking forward to coasting into another 5 years of pension building.

So who are you supporting in the election?

Xenophile wrote: »
    Reassuring to know that most of the TD’s in Tipperary are intelligent and have enough self esteem not to appear at the VB meeting only to be gratuitously insulted by Vincent Browne. I am sure that they felt a lot more satisfied staying at home watching and enjoying a great win by the Irish Football Team.

What about the approx 600 ordinary Tipperary voters who turned up to ask questions/ listen to a debate with them. Showed total disregard for the people.
    Also VB stated at least 4 times that they had moved it to facilitate AK and he said he would be there only sending a message the night before(Sunday) that he wasn't attending.
    I personally think it showed real fear by those that didn't turn up
    As regards AK 47 this was never designed for the firing line. Alan Kelly is proving to be a great street fighter, his nick name is a good one for someone who tells it as it is and shoots from the hip.

One of the things about a AK47 is "Every time it is disassembled beyond the field stripping stage, it will take some time for some parts to regain their fit, some parts may tend to shake loose and fall out when firing the weapon. "

In AKellys case The ordinary people and the homeless are the bits that shake loose and fall out.
    I wonder if he will be allowed to use his nick name on the ballot paper, as name recognition is very important in politics.
    Remember a real nick name is not one that you give yourself. Kelly did as he thinks its cool.

Ha Ha, AK47 the easiest auto rifle to strip, although it never needs stripping. I digress.
    Yes we do have a problem in Tipp, so has every other county. To get to be a TD takes time and they are either dinosaurs in the 20th century or glorified children in the 21st.
    It is the one position that needs no qualification. It seems that those from a Public sector background use it for their own agenda and that those from the private sector do the same.
    MM & SH do their best but cannot form a government, unless there is some sort of wonderful party proposed that they would all agree with.
    Even they fall out at times.
    Direct Democracy has a good manifesto that is beyond most votors.
    T Hayes has used his position to more than assist his livelyhood as a farmer, at the expense of others increased taxes.
    Lowry's lack of ability needs no explanation. Kelly, well got his rag through the door, hillarious if it was not a serious matter.
    Let us be honest, we are a rural backwater and will remain such, subject to a few crumbs thrown from the capitol, part paid for by our contributions to a system of Government that is based on unpunished corruption.
    If anyone can suggest a viable leader down this way I am open to suggestions.
    Oh Yes, Vincent Browne is a media chancer, nothing on his programme is ever represented properly. It is entertainment for the masses.
    A bit like fast food, seems a good idea at the time but its only brief lasting moment is discomfort.

So who are you supporting in the election?

Haven't decided. Will look at the manifestos and see. Definitely not giving a preference to Lowry or Sinn Fein as they are gangsters. Beyond that I'm not impressed with the quality of any candidate so will have to think about who I give my 1, 2, 3, etc to.

However as I've maintained throughout this thread I believe Lowry will top the poll. I can't bring myself to vote for him but he will coast in probably on the first count.

Ha Ha, AK47 the easiest auto rifle to strip, although it never needs stripping. I digress.
    Yes we do have a problem in Tipp, so has every other county. To get to be a TD takes time and they are either dinosaurs in the 20th century or glorified children in the 21st.
    It is the one position that needs no qualification. It seems that those from a Public sector background use it for their own agenda and that those from the private sector do the same.
    MM & SH do their best but cannot form a government, unless there is some sort of wonderful party proposed that they would all agree with.
    Even they fall out at times.
    Direct Democracy has a good manifesto that is beyond most votors.
    T Hayes has used his position to more than assist his livelyhood as a farmer, at the expense of others increased taxes.
    Lowry's lack of ability needs no explanation. Kelly, well got his rag through the door, hillarious if it was not a serious matter.
    Let us be honest, we are a rural backwater and will remain such, subject to a few crumbs thrown from the capitol, part paid for by our contributions to a system of Government that is based on unpunished corruption.
    If anyone can suggest a viable leader down this way I am open to suggestions.
    Oh Yes, Vincent Browne is a media chancer, nothing on his programme is ever represented properly. It is entertainment for the masses.
    A bit like fast food, seems a good idea at the time but its only brief lasting moment is discomfort.

Are Direct Democracy running a candidate in Tipperary?

• Advertisement

DD Candidate, I don't know, will try and find out. I listened to their manifesto which was very sensible. The had candidates in the local elections that got nowhere. I guess people are still fighting the civil war.

It would seem 6 so far. I would hope there would be one in every county. Their website is simple enough, as are their principles. All a bit too sensible so will not appeal to die hard FF FG SF followers.

It would seem 6 so far. I would hope there would be one in every county. Their website is simple enough, as are their principles. All a bit too sensible so will not appeal to die hard FF FG SF followers.

They are all about reviews and investigations and consultations. That's all well and good but they aren't actually saying anything about running the country. No policy on health, education, welfare, justice etc. The only thing they do propose that isn't a review is to introduce Direct Democracy where everyone votes on government policy and that is like something from a primary school civics class. The idea of everyone having a say and vote on every issue sounds great to a 12 year old but once you think about how that would work in practice it's impossible. That's why DDI's website says nothing about how it would work just that they would introduce it. I suppose if you have 3 million people voting in the Dail every night you don't need to tell them what you stand for as what they stand for is what gets done.

I think they are probably well meaning (although some of their links to conservative right are worrying) but childlike is the word that sprung to mind reading their website.

Do not forget they are attempting this with little financial support. The old parties are awash with money.

What about the approx 600 ordinary Tipperary voters who turned up to ask questions/ listen to a debate ..........

Remember a real nick name is not one that you give yourself. Kelly did as he thinks its cool.

The "ordinary" people, if they have been watching Vincent Browne over the last few years should know what to expect.

Secondly give me the proof that he assigned this nick name to himself, it is my understanding that this nick name was given to him by the media!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

The "ordinary" people, if they have been watching Vincent Browne over the last few years should know what to expect.

Secondly give me the proof that he assigned this nick name to himself, it is my understanding that this nick name was given to him by the media!
    Who would you mean by ordinary people?

Shocking that a minister in this constituency whose seat is in serious jeopardy would not would take the opportunity to answer his constituent's, Labour(was it Labour supporters he feared?) and otherwise and other political opponents.

I remember a time when TDs would face up to people no matter what their politics were but I could excuse ML in this instance because I would not fancy being on a programme where it could be said that he was "corrupt beyond belief" without fear of a libel.

tipptom wrote: »
    Shocking that a minister in this constituency whose seat is in serious jeopardy would not would take the opportunity to answer his constituent's, Labour(was it Labour supporters he feared?) and otherwise and other political opponents.

It is to his credit that he avoided the carnival that is Brownes "Peoples Debates" They are for entertainment, and not for debate.

It is to his credit that he avoided the carnival that is Brownes "Peoples Debates" They are for entertainment, and not for debate.

No it isn't it showed lack of ##### that he wouldn't go in front of the voters in attendance. He knew he would get a hard time and ran away.
    It had been moved a number of times ( according to VB) to a date that would suit him. He said he would be there and chickened out the night before.
    He disrespected all the people who drove to Clonmel.

tipptom wrote: »
    Who would you mean by ordinary people?

Same context as your friend Jem as used in his post number #228. Notice you did not take him to task. Also you misquoted me by not using inverted commas around the word "ordinary" as I did.

• Advertisement

AK= Arrogant Kelly...I hope the 47 is the number of votes he gets!

Advertisement