Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

All Ireland final is on Naas RFC

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Fair play to Blackrock. Much improved in the cup it seems. I heard Terenure turned ball over on their own line in last play.

Wasn't quite that close to the line but Blackrock were putting the pressure on for sure.

Terenure better on the day, but Blackrock threw everything into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

https://munsterrugby.ie/domestic_news/ireland-u19-team-named-for-france/
    IRELAND UNDER-19 Team & Replacements (v France Under-20 Development Team, 2019 Under-19 International Series, Stade Municipal, Lumio, Corsica, Tuesday, April 16, kick-off 6pm local time/5pm Irish time):

15. Oran McNulty (Galwegians/Connacht)
    14. Ethan McIlroy (Methodist College Belfast/Ulster)
    13. Luis Faria (Dublin University/Leinster)
    12. Mick O’Gara (Prensentation College Bray/Leinster)
    11. Aaron Sexton (Bangor Grammar School/Ulster)
    10. Jack Crowley (Bandon Grammar School/Munster)
    9. Lewis Finlay (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    1. Harry Noonan (Old Wesley/Leinster)
    2. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster) (capt)
    3. Liam Winnett (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    4. Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster)
    5. Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster)
    6. Ciaran Booth (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)
    7. Mark Hernan (St. Michael’s College/Leinster)
    8. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)

Replacements:

16. Scott Buckley (CBC Cork/Munster)
    17. Fionn Finlay (St. Michael’s College/Leinster)
    18. Ryan McMahon (Clongowes Wood College/Leinster)
    19. Eoin O’Connor (Waterpark/Munster)
    20. Anthony Ryan (Dublin University/Leinster)
    21. Charlie O’Doherty (Newcastle West/Munster)
    22. Ben Power (Queen’s University/Ulster)
    23. Andrew Smith (St. Michael’s College/Leinster)
    24. Paddy Kelly (Young Munster/Munster)
    25. Sean O’Brien (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    26. Joe Henry (London Irish/IQ Rugby)

Ireland won 21-17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭typhoony

Ireland won 21-17

any video highlights?

typhoony wrote: »
    any video highlights?
    Hopefully but wont be any thing up online yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Would Ireland 19s be expected to beat the 20s development? what is the standard like?

Would Ireland 19s be expected to beat the 20s development? what is the standard like?
    20s Development would be u19s i imagine. Hard guess if expected to win. Look at results from sides playing at 18s? How many who played 20s involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

20s Development would be u19s i imagine. Hard guess if expected to win. Look at results from sides playing at 18s? How many who played 20s involved.

Saw on twitter that there would be quite a few on both sides who've progressed from the France and Ireland 18s from last year, which France won comfortably enough

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jackdidley

U19 France 15 - Ireland 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Stainalert

McCorry Semi

Terenure 18 Blackrock 13

Deserved win for Terenure.

Lansdowne beat Barnhall last night 25-10 in other Semi

Lansdowne be favourites to win that I would think. But Terenure will have Adam La Grue coming back into side.

McCorry Cup final

Terneure 19 Lansdowne 15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

McCorry Cup final

Terneure 19 Lansdowne 15

No Adam La Grue in the end for Terenure, no AIL regulars for Lansdowne either. By all accounts a cracking match, both teams well up for it. Some controversy around it too apparently with the game being arranged for midweek while a lot of players had exams that day or the next day, kick off also delayed because Lansdowne claimed they thought it was a 8:15 kickoff and not 8 as it was scheduled.

Only the third time Terenure have won the McCorry Cup which is slightly surprising.

Australia comfortably beating NZ in the Oceanina u20s tournament, Pool games against England and AUS gonna be really tough on a 5 day turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I wonder how long it will be before the IRFU make an approach to Michael McDonald (if they haven't been in touch already). Starting scrum half for the Australian U20 side and also kicks at goal. Left Ireland when he was 13.

I would say the Australian set up will be very eager to get him tied down simply to ensure Ireland can't successfully approach him if he delivers on his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Buer wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will be before the IRFU make an approach to Michael McDonald (if they haven't been in touch already). Starting scrum half for the Australian U20 side and also kicks at goal. Left Ireland when he was 13.

I would say the Australian set up will be very eager to get him tied down simply to ensure Ireland can't successfully approach him if he delivers on his potential.

Do the u20 appearances tie him to Australia? I know the rule is all over the place or was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

salmocab wrote:
    Do the u20 appearances tie him to Australia? I know the rule is all over the place or was anyway.

No, think they did away with teams using U20 teams as an option for locking a player down. Purely senior, A team and 7s now, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

You'd think Ulster or Munster would take your hand off for a talented IQ deputy. Leinster and Connacht both have 2 very good options a piece but even they would probably happily take another, especially an IQ one.

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    No Adam La Grue in the end for Terenure, no AIL regulars for Lansdowne either. By all accounts a cracking match, both teams well up for it. Some controversy around it too apparently with the game being arranged for midweek while a lot of players had exams that day or the next day, kick off also delayed because Lansdowne claimed they thought it was a 8:15 kickoff and not 8 as it was scheduled.

Only the third time Terenure have won the McCorry Cup which is slightly surprising.
    Good in some regard no AIL regulars. Leave it to guys who were playing 20s all year.
    Played mid week happens a lot this time of year and is it really that surprising about Terenure only winning for third time. UCD, Trinity, Lansdowne

Good in some regard no AIL regulars. Leave it to guys who were playing 20s all year.
    Played mid week happens a lot this time of year and is it really that surprising about Terenure only winning for third time. UCD, Trinity, Lansdowne

Not the fact it was midweek that was the problem, apparently why it was midweek was controversial, and in a u20s competition when you know most players will have exams going on having the game midweek isn't really the right thing to do.

That's why I said slightly surprising.

Wasa great result for Terenure. Really took their chance and forced errors from Lansdowne who looked a bit tired, the semi final the week before v Barnhall and Terenure having an extra week off made the difference.

Mark Fabian really pulled the strings at 10 for Terenure and goal kicking was outstanding

Both sides only really had one player in their respective AIL squads missing Adam La Grue and James Kenny.

Adam was injured. I don't know about James Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Wasa great result for Terenure. Really took their chance and forced errors from Lansdowne who looked a bit tired, the semi final the week before v Barnhall and Terenure having an extra week off made the difference.

Mark Fabian really pulled the strings at 10 for Terenure and goal kicking was outstanding

Both sides only really had one player in their respective AIL squads missing Adam La Grue and James Kenny.

Adam was injured. I don't know about James Kenny.

James Kenny was concussed from the AIL Semi-final

Adam was injured.

Not injured from what I've heard

20s had a run out in Donnybrook against a Leinster XV this morning i believe. Anyone know more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sudolife

Hearing both Harry Byrne and Scott Penny will miss out on JWC due to injury

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Sudolife wrote: »
    Hearing both Harry Byrne and Scott Penny will miss out on JWC due to injury

Injury or needed for senior Leinster preseason ??

Ah ffs every single bloody year we send an injury crippled squad what is happening to these guys it's nearly predictable at this stage , it's not even fringe players it's always the best players in the squad get injured

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Wegians89 wrote: »

Harry Byrne hasnt been seen since 1st game of 6 Nations so think but not sure he is being wrapped up for Leinster but if his brother doesn't get the nod for World Cup then doubtful he will be needed with Frawley there as well so will cover A games in August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wegians89 wrote: »

Penny was on the bench vs Ulster and came on for ~15 minutes and wasn't mentioned in any injury updates, so unless it's something he picked up in training and they've omitted it from any following injury updates, I'd say he's being held back.

• Advertisement

Ah ffs every single bloody year we send an injury crippled squad what is happening to these guys it's nearly predictable at this stage , it's not even fringe players it's always the best players in the squad get injured
    Always bound to be few guys who're injured. Same with lot of sides and for how many is it a first season playing adult rugby? Never have here guys playing A rugby/club rugby at 16/17 which has been case quite a bit with other nations

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Squad announced tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Penny was on the bench vs Ulster and came on for ~15 minutes and wasn't mentioned in any injury updates, so unless it's something he picked up in training and they've omitted it from any following injury updates, I'd say he's being held back.

Some may disagree but to me the U20s should be about prepping players for the Pro game. Someone like Scott Penny is already playing Pro 14 rugby therefore does he need to go to the JWC? It was the same with Paddy Jackson a few years ago. He played in a HEC S/F and Final (didn't go too well mind), so why bring him to a JWC when someone else can get the exposure. I think Luke Fitzgerald was another way back in the day who pretty much skipped U20s.

bilston wrote: »
    Some may disagree but to me the U20s should be about prepping players for the Pro game. Someone like Scott Penny is already playing Pro 14 rugby therefore does he need to go to the JWC? It was the same with Paddy Jackson a few years ago. He played in a HEC S/F and Final (didn't go too well mind), so why bring him to a JWC when someone else can get the exposure. I think Luke Fitzgerald was another way back in the day who pretty much skipped U20s.

Luke Fitzgerald played in the 20s 6N but was injured.

I don't know, does taking a month or so out really effect their preparation for the pro game and it gives them a chance to represent their country on world stage. It might never happen again for them like.

If I had my way, anyone eligible for 20s should play it. Play a game is better than 4 weeks in the gym.

bilston wrote: »
    Penny has played Pro14 and has 6(??) appearances. Not exactly the same as Jackson and Fitzgerald who had considerable more experience at the higher grade
    Think he should be playing 20s especially as he's a forward and the boost that would be for a 20s side.
    NZ for few years didnt include their guys with super rugby experience but have changed how they procede with players playing higher grade and dont think we should have guys missing out unless they really have to

Forwards
    Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster) * Fintans Sutton and Clontarf
    Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster) * Dungarvan and Waterpark. Under 19
    Azur Allison (Ballymena/Ulster) * Ballymena Academy
    Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster) Michaels
    Tom Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster) Blackrock
    Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster) Wexford Wanderers
    John Hodnett (UCC) Clonakilty
    David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster) RBAI
    John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster) Campbell Belfast
    Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster) Birr RFC/Cistercian Roscrea
    Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster) Athy
    Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht) Buccaneers
    Callum Reid (Banbridge/Ulster) RBAI
    Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) Captain Blackrock
    Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
    Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster) * Tullow
    Ronan Watters (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
    Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster) Bantry Bay RFC and Cistercian Roscrea

Backs
    Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster) Vice-Captain Ard Scoil Ris
    Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster) Kilfeacle RFC and Rockwell
    Cormac Foley (St.Mary’s College/Leinster) Gerards Bray
    Sean French (Cork Constitution/Munster) PBC Cork
    Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster) Nenagh Ormond and Glenstal
    Bruce Houston (Ballymena/Ulster) Ballymena Academy
    Iwan Hughes (Ballynahinch/Ulster) Filton College Bristol(also represented Wales u16/England u18s)
    Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster) Ballymena Academy
    Adam LaGrue (Terenure College/Leinster) * Terenure
    Stewart Moore (Malone/Ulster) * Dalraida and Ballymena Academy
    Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht) Garbally and Buccs
    Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster) Michaels
    Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster) Blackrock
    Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster) PBC Cork

Theres just no way Penny should be held back by Leinster, all he's missing is preseason gym sessions, really disappointing if true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Theres just no way Penny should be held back by Leinster, all he's missing is preseason gym sessions, really disappointing if true

Steady on with pitchforks

He's injured. As is Harry Byrne

Steady on with pitchforks

He's injured. As is Harry Byrne

Theres no pitch fork, commenting on someone else mentioning that he may be held back by Leinster - which would be ridiculous if true - now that its confirmed that hes injured the comment is void

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any Munster players who would have been likely named but for injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Azur Allison in. he was being talked up before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Any Munster players who would have been likely named but for injury?

Conor Phillips one of 4 players named on the unavailable/ injured list along with Penny, Byrne and Hawkshaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Byrne and Penney were two of our best players in the U20's Grand Slam win. Big blow for the team that they're missing the championship.

Hopefully they aren't out for long. Penney will get a lot of game time for Leinster next season if he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Squad to be cut by another 4 as only 28 can travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Great to see Charlie ward is still progressing, hadn't heard about him for a while

20s played Munster yesterday
    Munster team is below but anyone know irish team?
    Munster A/Development: Jamie Heuston; Rob Hedderman, Shane Daly, Alex McHenry, Colm Hogan; Alan Tynan, Jack Stafford (C); Pat Casey, Billy Scannell, Luke Masters; Paddy Kelly, Sean O’Connor; Dave Hyland, Jack O’Sullivan, Luke Clohessy.

Replacements: Páidí McCarthy, James French, Callum Reid, Keynan Knox, Gavin Coombes, Evan Murphy, Evan Maher, Conor Kelly.

Great to see O'sullivan back

Squad confirmed
    Ireland U20 Squad (World Rugby U20 Championship 2019)
    Forwards
    Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster) *
    Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster) *
    Azur Allison (Ballymena/Ulster) *
    Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)
    Ciaran Booth (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby) *
    Tom Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
    John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)
    David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
    John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
    Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) Captain
    Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
    Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster) *
    Ronan Watters (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
    Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)

Backs
    Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster) Vice-Captain
    Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
    Cormac Foley (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
    Sean French (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
    Iwan Hughes (Ballynahinch/Ulster) *
    Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)
    Stewart Moore (Malone/Ulster) *
    Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)
    Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
    Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    *Denotes uncapped at this level

Unavailable due to injury
    Harry Byrne, Brian Deeny, David Hawkshaw, Martin Moloney, Scott Penny, Conor Phillips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

With Moloney out would they move Murray to 6 and bring Baird into the second row?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

No Callum Reid listed. Was looking forward to seeing him in action.

Advertisement