Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭6elieve

who?
    Playing what level for Marys? Has he played for Leinster?

Eoin Byrne , he plays for the marys first team, absolute animal. 6”8 and 110kg at least. He’s born in 2000 so I presume they are saving him for next year .... never seen a man so talented at securing lineout ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

6elieve wrote: »
    Eoin Byrne , he plays for the marys first team, absolute animal. 6”8 and 110kg at least. He’s born in 2000 so I presume they are saving him for next year .... never seen a man so talented at securing lineout ball.

Well that's just a load of bollix.

For context this lad actually subs for Marys u20s team is actually pretty tall but nowhere near 110kg. Presume this poster is either him or a mate.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Well that's just a load of bollix.

For context this lad actually subs for Marys u20s team is actually pretty tall but nowhere near 110kg. Presume this poster is either him or a mate.

Why are you always so passive and rude, no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cowboy848

My thoughts on the 20’s this weekend: Firstly I thought it was a big selection risk leaving Milne and French out of the team but it proved to be the right call in the end. McNamara will be counting his chickens after those calls and the result going his way after last years campaign and results. Can I say that I remember Wyhcherly being bigger at school than he looked out on the 20’s pitch – maybe that’s just comparison to the opposition he faced both on Friday night and against other schools but he looked slightly small in my eyes compared to Milne/Clarkson and the English props. He had a solid enough game so I don’t think he’ll be too worried about his place although Milne looks like he can make the grade at Professional and International level despite his collapsing of the scrum when he came on.

Which brings me to another point – why are we changing props positions so often in our pro set ups? I can think of Porter and Milne both changing sides of the scrum they played on at schools level. I don’t know if this is with a view to requirements in each position or if it is because coaches think they are more suited to propping on the opposite side but the 2 props in question have had scrummaging issues since they have made the change. On the tighthead side I thought Clarkson looked the part and had a good game along with Tierney-Martin who got 2 tries. Charlie Ryan looked very good all around the pitch and seems to have the height to make it as a second row forward in the pro/international game. I thought in the backrow Hodnett carried well all day despite being slightly undersized and Penny racked up a big tackle count. I think he needs to be better at jackalling to be a top class 7 but his workrate is quite good.

Scrumhalf was a tough little lad and had a good game – Casey I think his name was. Foley obviously came on and scored but I’m yet to be convinced with Foley after what I saw of him at schools. Harry Byrne had a good game and his highlight reel was well documented by the RTE panel on Friday night no need to re-hash it here other than to say he’s promising if he can show he has an extra bit of pace than his brother and can tackle effectively he’ll make it through to a senior contract. Centres were my highlight of the night. I thought Hawkshaw did really well in several situations he was involved in and Turner made some nice outside half breaks. Both looked hungry for work and not afraid of contact. I thought the all Munster back 3 were very good despite Phillips reminding me a bit of Adam Byrne – by stuffing up a few gilt edged opportunities. All in all very promising but I think French will get selected next week after Hawkshaws injury and perhaps we might see Baird come back in before the end of the championship which will be exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Still cant find the game on the RTE player is it because I'm in the UK ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Still cant find the game on the RTE player is it because I'm in the UK ?

What happens when you use this link:

https://beta.rte.ie/player/series/u20-s-six-nations-live-s201-e1/SI0000004872?epguid=IH000378945

I get a page saying . " Uh oh. Looks like you're lost...
    Seems like the page you were looking for doesn't exist."

I've tried changing my IP address to Ireland but RTE player is the inly website which still blocks it even with a changed ip

Why are RTE so strict??

Is there anyone else in the UK that has a trick for getting passed it?

I get a page saying . " Uh oh. Looks like you're lost...
    Seems like the page you were looking for doesn't exist."

I've tried changing my IP address to Ireland but RTE player is the inly website which still blocks it even with a changed ip

Try this one:

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/u20-s-six-nations-live/SI0000004872?epguid=IH000378945

Still get the same link error, It seems to be an issue with RTE I can do it with any other country with no issues,

I appreciate your help

• Advertisement

Bought a second VPN blocker and this time it works, thanks a million

Great stuff.

Ah looked like it had worked but its still saying rights restriction, nevermind

Ah looked like it had worked but its still saying rights restriction, nevermind

Was it not on Sky over there?

Id have a better chance of watching Putin in his home via livestream then getting passed RTE's strange geo blocking

troyzer wrote: »
    Was it not on Sky over there?

Nope I was hoping for that too , think they only televise the home games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Please feel free to post the match on you tube. I won't mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Why are you always so passive and rude, no need for it.

Passive? Sorry if I hurt your feelings Eoin.
    Cowboy848 wrote: »
    Which brings me to another point – why are we changing props positions so often in our pro set ups? I can think of Porter and Milne both changing sides of the scrum they played on at schools level. I don’t know if this is with a view to requirements in each position or if it is because coaches think they are more suited to propping on the opposite side but the 2 props in question have had scrummaging issues since they have made the change.

Because until U20 level side of the scrum doesn't really matter so players go on either side to just get the best players on the pitch. Once the pro coaches get a look at them they try sort out their side of the scrum then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sunderland00

who?
    Playing what level for Marys? Has he played for Leinster?

So he should be called up to the Ireland u20s team beacuase he’s tall, heavy and benches for a premier 2 Mary’s team...

So he should be called up to the Ireland u20s team beacuase he’s tall, heavy and benches for a premier 2 Mary’s team...

Have you ever seen him play ? Didn’t think so. Thank you, next

• Advertisement

Passive? Sorry if I hurt your feelings Eoin. {quote}

I clearly am not Eoin.
    Byrne has stopped using his phone to fully focus on becoming a pro player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Passive? Sorry if I hurt your feelings Eoin. {quote}

I clearly am not Eoin.
    Byrne has stopped using his phone to fully focus on becoming a pro player.

This is bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My thoughts on the 20’s this weekend: Firstly I thought it was a big selection risk leaving Milne and French out of the team but it proved to be the right call in the end. McNamara will be counting his chickens after those calls and the result going his way after last years campaign and results. Can I say that I remember Wyhcherly being bigger at school than he looked out on the 20’s pitch – maybe that’s just comparison to the opposition he faced both on Friday night and against other schools but he looked slightly small in my eyes compared to Milne/Clarkson and the English props. He had a solid enough game so I don’t think he’ll be too worried about his place although Milne looks like he can make the grade at Professional and International level despite his collapsing of the scrum when he came on.

Which brings me to another point – why are we changing props positions so often in our pro set ups? I can think of Porter and Milne both changing sides of the scrum they played on at schools level. I don’t know if this is with a view to requirements in each position or if it is because coaches think they are more suited to propping on the opposite side but the 2 props in question have had scrummaging issues since they have made the change. On the tighthead side I thought Clarkson looked the part and had a good game along with Tierney-Martin who got 2 tries. Charlie Ryan looked very good all around the pitch and seems to have the height to make it as a second row forward in the pro/international game. I thought in the backrow Hodnett carried well all day despite being slightly undersized and Penny racked up a big tackle count. I think he needs to be better at jackalling to be a top class 7 but his workrate is quite good.

Scrumhalf was a tough little lad and had a good game – Casey I think his name was. Foley obviously came on and scored but I’m yet to be convinced with Foley after what I saw of him at schools. Harry Byrne had a good game and his highlight reel was well documented by the RTE panel on Friday night no need to re-hash it here other than to say he’s promising if he can show he has an extra bit of pace than his brother and can tackle effectively he’ll make it through to a senior contract. Centres were my highlight of the night. I thought Hawkshaw did really well in several situations he was involved in and Turner made some nice outside half breaks. Both looked hungry for work and not afraid of contact. I thought the all Munster back 3 were very good despite Phillips reminding me a bit of Adam Byrne – by stuffing up a few gilt edged opportunities. All in all very promising but I think French will get selected next week after Hawkshaws injury and perhaps we might see Baird come back in before the end of the championship which will be exciting.

Porter switched due to no chance of him really breaking into the setup at LH, behind Healy/McGrath/Byrne. He was also huge and slotted into TH size wise without a bother. I'd say it's a combination of both positional needs and seeing potential in players to shift across to the other side. Happens quite frequently with underage props who academy sides don't think have the potential size wise to play prop and shift to hooker (Tracy/Delahunt as two recent examples).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭scrummieman

You my friend are an absolute hero, thank you so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I can't be certain..... but I imagine your fictional issues about Porter stem from 1) international tighthead is a step up in literally everything than schools loosehead

2) Porter hasn't had scrummaging issues. He's given away a few penalties against some top class looseheads.... like every other tighthead in the world.

I can't be certain..... but I imagine your fictional issues about Porter stem from 1) international tighthead is a step up in literally everything than schools loosehead

2) Porter hasn't had scrummaging issues. He's given away a few penalties against some top class looseheads.... like every other tighthead in the world.

I think the move to Tighthead was the right call ,

However I think when people criticise the move they are wishing they could see Porter as the slimmed down Ball carrying loosehead he was at under age level,

They probably feel being tighthead and carrying the extra weight and having to focus more on scrummaging has hindered his ball carrying abilities.....which may or may not be the case..

rightly or wrongly he has the potential to be one of the best tight heads in the world in the coming years if he keeps improving and i think it was the correct call

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

However I think when people criticise the move they are wishing they could see Porter as the slimmed down Ball carrying loosehead he was at under age level,

They probably feel being tighthead and carrying the extra weight and having to focus more on scrummaging has hindered his ball carrying abilities.....which may or may not be the case..

rightly or wrongly he has the potential to be one of the best tight heads in the world in the coming years if he keeps improving and i think it was the correct call

Also he is lighter now than he was at under20s loosehead

it's a lot easier to be a big ball carrier at under-20 level than at top european/international level.

• Advertisement

Milne played TH in school, he tried to played TH this season for UCD under-20 and was got roasted in the scrum. He is a LH Prop going forward and in potentially an excellent one in time.

Advertisement