Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corballis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

gypsy79 wrote: »
    To continue I personally feel they need to embrace the golf clubs they host!

Conditioning obviously excellent at both courses but they dont allow the golf club to prosper at either location

I bet they would disagree and making a nice profit....

I think it’s very clear the product you get at both these clubs for what’s very reasonable price compared to other clubs.

I personally would have no interest in joining either because how they are run, but I can also see the need for the income for the business. Can’t have it both ways and if members agreed to pay more maybe that’s the way forward and decrease the need for guest green fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I bet they would disagree and making a nice profit....

I think it’s very clear the product you get at both these clubs for what’s very reasonable price compared to other clubs.

I personally would have no interest in joining either because how they are run, but I can also see the need for the income for the business. Can’t have it both ways and if members agreed to pay more maybe that’s the way forward and decrease the need for guest green fees.

Well they arent the only stakeholders. The golf clubs and Fingal county council also have a say. It is a 3 way discussion when it comes to renewals. I am sure Synergy would be interested

Our golf club have agreements with Fingal county council that are been compromised

Elmgreen is more expensive than Corballis (and rising quickly) and I feel they will struggle to get as many visitors with new pricing structures in Elmgreen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't think I'd like to see them go. Course condition is fantastic. I can't imagine the council would have it nearly as good and I'm not sure what the other alternative is. I imagine they're simply trying to balance the books. They've lost a heap of green fees revenue in the first 4 months of the year. They're freeing up space on the timesheet by blocking the members from it for 5 hours on a Saturday.

I imagine a big part of the problem here is that membership is so cheap. Too cheap really. But if you raised it the members would lose their ****. So the increase in membership revenue isn't nearly big enough to bridge the gap. And unfortunately with a management company whose contract is up soon, it would be foolish to take a hit financially when you might not have a chance to recoup the money over the next few years.

With all that said though, I'm still surprised they seem to be blocking the members for 5 prime time hours on a Saturday. Saturday and Sunday morning are the only times that suit me really. So this will make it harder to get on the timesheet at those times and literally impossible for some of it.

blue note wrote: »
    We must arrange a boards.ie fourball for all the Corballis members when this lockdown ends. I reckon we have about 4 on here. I'd be curious to see how we all play the course, or even just put faces to the names. Or names to the monikers.

God I'd love a game of golf now. I wouldn't even give out about the bad lies I get when I hit it where I shouldn't. Well I would, but that's part of what I miss.

Not quite a fourball, but I'm down with the brother in law and have two free spots beside me on bank holiday Monday at 7:30am. If any boardsies care to join me send me a PM. First come first serve. It's a member only time as per the website, so it might have to be a member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Have had this in the back of my mind once the interclubs finished for the year. Any interest in getting in some saturday in Sept or October. 18th Sept or any sat in October works for me at the moment

Absolutely. That date in September doesn't work for me, but I think October should be grand. Could do the first weekend? Early would be my preference, could aim for 8am if that works for you?

Any other takers?

Works for me. It's in the calendar

Is there going to be a solution to the problem on the 8th?? Someone in Balcarrick was telling me about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

whats the problem?? long tike since ive played corballis

I believe there was an incident on the 8th where a member of the public was hit with a ball in the caravans (or has made claims at least)

There is now a stand off between Carr, golf club and the council. All heard second hand

• Advertisement

Don't think there is conflict between those 3 parties but I'd say their points of view are different. Golf club just wants to be able to use the 8th green again. Temp green is rubbish.

I'm guessing the council couldn't care less about the 8th green being temp or not.

Carr on the other hand want the green fixed because it's damaging their product but I'm guessing they don't want to pay for it.

That's before you get into the residents in the caravan park. They want the hole moved completely and have been asking for that for years. It's a wonder more people haven't been hit over the years. The vans in there are like the pillars outside the GPO

Corballis is great for what it is, and has 2 brilliant links holes, and a handful of nice holes. No other club in the country seems to generate such debate and ball ache though amongst its members. It's a good value product, and that product needs to be augmented with loads of green fees and opens.

It's hard to know what the solution will be. I was talking to a committee member. It wasn't just a ball going into the park, I believe it was several a day. And they've done serious damage over the years including hitting someone recently.

But looking at the possible solutions, I'm not sure if there's a good one. Could nets actually solve the problem? I'd have thought a lot of the problem is people hitting irons into the wind and then losing them to the left into the park. Or lads hitting out of the rough and catching it much better than expected. Or lads slicing their drive and not being sure what angle they're coming back in at. Nets would only really help with wedges being bladed through the green and the like.

I imagine leaving the green where it is is a possible solution, but not one I'd be fond of. I don't think we need another driveable par 4 (that doesn't even require a driver). I heard one suggestion was to use some land from 11 for the green, but that would mean shortening 11. I don't think you could shorten that hole and keep it a par 4.

Anyone know who was there first? It seems a totally unsuitable place for a caravan park. I certainly would never stay there. But if they were there first maybe it's a totally unsuitable place for a green.

I'd also be concerned about the houses on the sides of the 15th and 16th fairways. And the gardens to the right of 18, their houses should be safe. And they're just my concerns off the course. On top of that you have the walkers going to the beach. They haven't a clue where to look or when to walk. I wonder how many accidents there are every year. And then you have the actual dangerous spots for golfers. I've been waiting around the corner of the 3rd to hit my second and had a ball land beside me. I've hit down on people on 7 and then had the next group hit down on me. Had a ball land on 11th green while I was still putting. The 14th and 18th fairways can be lethal with so many just aiming for the middle. And same for 15 an 16 (at least you can see the other golfers on those holes).

When you think of all of the dangerous spots on the course, it's incredible that this is the only issue.

looks like there could be a significant redesign on the cards for holes 8-11. The caravan park to the left of 11 getting a lot of balls from people taking driver and going left of the barber pole.

from what I understand the propsoal is to move back the 8th tee box and move the 8th green so the approach will take the caravan park out of play (I can still see people hook a ball in there)

9th green to be made smaller to accomodate a new tee box for 10. A new green for 10 to be built into the dune at the back of the existing hole.

11 tee box to be moved way forward to make it a par 3, remove the confusing blind tee shot.

well thats my understanding of the proposal anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Reducing the course to a par 65. The 11th is a bit of a daft hole in fairness.

Was there a communication on all of that willabur? In fairness, they can't continue with a situation where balls are flying into the caravan park. So they have to do something.

I never thought balls would be going in off 11, but I suppose if you didn't know the course you might just lash away a driver there.

I don't mind the idea of 11 changing. It's the only hole on the course I just don't like. There's no proper way to play it. The lies are too bad laying up.

I think a map of the change would be nice to see.

No comms, played with a committee member there recently. There are other options on the table but it seemed by the way he was talking that a rerouting was the only long term solution. I'd imagine it would be a significant disruption to the club

Similar problem with those new houses on the right of 15, left of 16. Crazy place to build a house

• Advertisement

Ah. The natural dune surrounding the 10th green is massive and is one of the most incredible parts of the course. The par three that plays into it is somehow underwhelming though. Curious to see what the plans would be if that was to become a par 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is probably hard to accept any changes to course as almost a relic at this stage.

But you never know, perhaps an opertunity there somewhere.

It is disappointing the green complex they have lost ,as I did love the approach to that . It is semi blind , but you know exactly the shot you need to clear front trouble. You know when you have got it and there is a pleasant surprise as you walk up the hill...

yes, 10 is an underwhelming hole. Index 18 yet it is a hell of a par if you get one. The bunker at the back is a waste, would be far better if that was at the front of the green.

The island has a par 5 in the back nine (15th hole?) the green is surrounded by a similar dune amphitheatre (it's probably only a few hundred metres away and shaped by the same processes that shaped the one in corballis!). Trying to go near that par5 in two your hitting a long club into the amphitheatre. It may be the best hole on that course!

I reckon the max distance you could make a hole there in corballis would be 330 yards. It would be a nother where you would take an iron off the tee and then have a wedge into an Amphitheatre green

The last boards outing I was on I played with @Golfgraffix He had the idea that Corballis would be a great 12 hole course (is that executive) and that it would serve a potential different golf product for time poor people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

As a test I did a 12 hole routing on the same plot of land. It fit quite nicely with some great holes.

You would have an option of playing 12 hole or 18, the 1st holes can be played twice with quite different tee boxes. All 3 loops take you back into the clubhouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

sure time poor people can walk off at 12 as it is and you don't have the pain of people double playing 6 holes

its a bit of a trek for most people to be getting out there, part of the reason its so empty, so if time poor, there are surely better options

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

A few years ago there was talk of moving the green back into the dune itself which would have meant quite an elevated green.

I don't know if that is part of the current plans.

I had thought that perhaps the ninth green could be played from the eight tee box as a par three and then the current eight could be reversed, teeing off where the green is now and having the green down towards the current tee box.

It would probably be a bit too tight. Besides, any hook shot playing the (current) ninth green from the (current) eight tee box would end up in The Island so that probably wouldn't work either

That’s not my point.

what I mean is it could be a great 12 hole golf course rather than a very average 18 hole course with 3 great holes and still give the option of 18 holes or 12.

i'd say not many course have more than 3 great holes on them to be fair

and the price more than matches the quality of the course

I’d argue that there would be some that do.

I was being nice, maybe I should have said 1 great hole, 2 very good holes and the rest pretty poor.

What I am getting at is the plot of land is really good but will always be too small to make a good 18 hole course. I’ve seen some great 12 hole set ups and thought that the Corballis plot would be an ideal candidate.

• Advertisement

which holes?

I find it enjoyable for the price especially in comparison to its coastal neightbours

(IMO)

Exceptional holes

Good holes

Average but still like them

Poor

^ I like 1, 2, 13.

Each of these require a controlled accurate (for both distance and range) wedge or short iron. Are nice looking and have a good amount of danger. 2nd hole is very unique. Distance control, spin and managing the wind are the tasks here.

The love for the 3rd hole I always find interesting. It's extremely difficult as a par 4. But I always wonder if it was labelled a par 5 what people would make of it. I suspect not a lot, even though it would be the same hole. I do think it's an excellent hole by the way, regardless of the par.

4 and 6 are possibly my favourites on the course. 4 in particular - I like that it's easy, but the penalties for not getting it right are severe. Long, left or right can be fatal for the hole. 6 is more forgiving, you can aim for the bottom section of the green and have room to play fairly safe. But with the wind the bunkers and even the beach can come into play!

13 and 17 are funny holes. If the greens were less ridiculous I think they'd be better. There are days on 17 where you can be on the top tier and can't keep the ball on the green putting to the lower tier unless you go nowhere near the flag.

16 is an interesting hole. Well the approach is at least, the drive is fairly straightforward. But it's a tough target to hit and an interesting shot onto it from misses right or left.

18 I'm not mad on the green and surrounding area. It's a funny target to hit when you can't see it. And if you hit the sides of the green your ball can go a long way away.

10 is the only really boring hole. And 11 is the only stupid one. 8 is only fine too, so maybe these redevelopment won't be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I don't disagree with any of this ☝️

I think the 3rd is the best hole. 4th and 6th are stunning par 3's. I've already mentioned my love for 1 and 2. The run from 1-7 in particular is one of the most enjoyable stretches of golf in the country. The good holes are definitely top loaded. The better holes on the back nine (14, 18) though good, I don't like to be on them for long due to their shared fairways and the sheer amount of close calls I've had or seen there.

Bang on the money here.

I love 3. It's a completely different beast from the member tees than off the forward tees. I've birdied it last two times ive played it from front tees.

From back tees I've never gotten close to a bird. The tee shot is so difficult and into the wind it's effectively a par 5.

I don't get the hate for the first two holes. Par 3 is a good opening hole, tough enough to get on the putting surface. 3 is a great score

Second is brilliant intro to corballis. A real matchplay hole where going for it can give you great reward or instant death. Also underrated way to play the hole is to play for the big Hallow.

I much prefer taking on the mound on the left hand side, safely over that and on an even lie you open up the whole green

I always thought that there was a great 1st hole waiting to be routed in the existing terrain, going straight right from the existing 1st hole and borrowing from the par 5. The site for the green is already there. Imagine how it could look if the scrub areas were brought back to exposed sand base ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Holes 2-9 are are great imo. 1&10 are fairly boring, the terrain is there to do something great with 10 but as it is it's fairly meh. 11 & 12 are ok. 11 can just be annoying with having to either wait an age or send someone up onto the dune as a spotter. 13 is fine. 14,15&16 I'm not a huge fan of.

17 is a great Par 3 imo, especially when the flag is right at the front left on the little table top. Then for a finished hole 18 is a bit like limping home.

• Advertisement

2 can be an interesting hole into the wind. At the extreme, with a 4i ice barely made it onto the plateau and I've been on the back of the green. With a fairly average breeze the tee shot is grand, just take extra club. The challenge is if the breeze is with you and the ground hard you've to make sure to take enough to get to but not enough to go over the other side.

The approach into an average breeze can be tricky though. Since it's short, once the ball gets into the air it can move a lot. It's a relatively easy hole, but you can find yourself in trouble very easily.

The first has some interest too. It's a massive green, so you should be hitting it. But it's not completely straightforward. The green is angled, so what is middle of the green (depth wise) on the left side is in the bunker / run off of the right side. And if you hit enough club to go middle of the green on the right side, if you pull it left you're into the thick grass bank over the back. It's still a relatively easy target to hit, but the penalties for failing to do so are fair. They're tough bunkers or it's a big hill to try and get up and down from.

I wouldn't argue either are great holes, but I wouldn't call them weak.

I think the first has weakened over the years for me as they play it way too often from lower tees...being below a par 3 , particularly, a short one with a raised green is just a poor hole...(imo)

what would you change with it? On a calm day not that hard if you hit a good shot, similar to most par 3s. Harsh if you go safe and a bit long, hard if you go short and an easy 4

the pain is waiting for the par 5 or the beach goers, thats surely the whole places main issue and what people complain about most, slows play etc

10th is the most complained about hole in general, but fun to go for the green and then lose that ball

The problem with pace of play on the course is people's expectations due to it's length vs the amount of balls that have to be looked for on the course. It turns it into a normal length round, but some of that length is catching up with people because they were looking for balls.

Renewal time for me is in October and I'm leaning towards staying, but a little tempted to look at something that I might find easier.

On the plus side with corballis, it's always dry, the holes are very interesting and it should develop you as a player. The weakest shots in my game tend to be the half wedges, and playing on corballis is unavoidable practice on them. And in reality, I've really improved at them. I used to blade and practically duff a huge amount of them. I do that less now. But you'll also be forced into playing a few running low shots, punched low into the wind, some very different lies. There's variety on that course that few others offer.

But on the downside, my two biggest problems with the course are that I miss hitting the longer clubs. There's a good argument that I should only hit the driver once in corballis per round. You'll never be able to hit the club properly hitting it that often and on other courses it could be the most important club in the bag. Range practice is fine to keep you up to speed in driving, but you need course practice. And the second problem is that my scores are terrible there. On a bad day in corballis, I'll be around 25 points. On a really good day I'll be challenging 36 points. The result of this was my handicap going up as high as 18.4. It's now 13.1 with all new counting rounds being on away courses. I made a conscious effort to play away courses because I feared my handicap was going to go over 20. And lots of those new counting rounds I would say i played fine at best, whereas there are days i played really well in corballis that aren't included. And the handicap going so high did bother me, I can't deny it!

I don't want to spend a fortune on golf when I'm going to play at most 20 times in a year, so Hollywood lakes or balcarrick would probably be the most likely alternatives. I fear they'd be driver and wedge courses, but maybe not. Especially if they play comps from the blues.

Any thoughts on this? I am leaning towards staying and just playing half my golf elsewhere to keep the handicap somewhat down and the driver somewhat ready for action. Ultimately, I love the course. It's annoying that I enjoy playing in comps, but really struggle to break 30 points. I wouldn't mind qualifying to play in the captains some year for example. But ignoring my card I love playing there.

blue note - it sounds like your course management around there is very poor. If your a good driver of the ball and want to drive the ball - Corballis isn't for you. I personally would join another club - but still play Corballis the odd time to get the links / love of the place flowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Hi Blue Note. I'm not a member here but a nearby resident and usually play it 2-4 times a year and have been doing so for years and years. It's a great spot. It has its faults like anywhere else but I think the positives far out weigh.

I play in Sutton. It's a short, tight links too. There are days I would use the driver much there either. And it's by far not the most important club in the bag.

Ive played with a few low guys over the years from your course. They are still members there and still low handicap. And some don't live anywhere near it.

If I wasn't a member where I I've always been, and was looking to move to a course nearby here in Donabate, Corballis would be No. 1 on the list for me

I remember playing with you well, it was a stripe show, you can give the ball a proper belt. The trajectory does not fit the course though. I remember I bunted a 9 iron on the second hole and you hit this sky high, beaut of a 9 iron which was as impressive as it was unnecessary :)

The second thing that stood out for me was how much 12 was in your head, before you got to the tee box the ball was already a mile right in the long stuff. Genuinely reckon you are a mid single digit handicapper (around corballis) with some course management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Erik Anders Lang (Golf YouTuber) was at Corballis today, will be keeping my eye out for that vlog

• Advertisement

No way - he is class - and I was going to go there today.

Advertisement