Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corballis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,709 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

If the members are not happy
    The price has gone up
    The public have restricted access

What is the point of the deal with Carr. Bring it back into public operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

mk7775 wrote: »
    Any idea if this will help with member tee times? I live in Donabate and I am considering joining post lockdown.

https://dublinpeople.com/news/northsideeast/articles/2021/03/05/corballis-members-dispute-operator-reach-agreement-dispute-29043/

That article is a bit all over the place. The quote from Carr at the end pretty much says we've done nothing wrong and the members are being unreasonable.

The problem is that Sunday comps were being booked up within a min of becoming available. Alot of Saturday and Sunday time sheets are set aside for golf societies (mostly) and public bookings. Meant it was super hard to get a slot. Have heard they have agreed to.give more time for members golf but nothing has been officially communicated

If you are in donabate then I would say it's worthwhile for summer months as it's quiet enough in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

willabur wrote: »
    so you mean comp fees?
    I don't know how that money gets handled, would be interested in finding out. I'm sure Carr themselves will say they plough money back in to maintain the course and keep the clubhouse going, paying staff to facilitate tee times schedule etc. But I am sure that every club in the land has members like that who are happy to pay their subs for the year and not play one competition. The issue for me is that with this club they are taking on extra members but reducing the time slots where they can actually go out and play, thats the unique situation for Corballis.

Might be a similar situation in the likes of Portmarnock links where the course is part of the hotel so tee times would be reserved for hotel guests etc

Would be interested to hear the Portmarnock Links model. All competition fees go into the club. The club has close to zero expenses. They also have a relatively large bank balance. There are some plans afoot to use some of the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Owwa bounds

I've been a member of corballis for a few years now in December 2020 we were told if we continued our membership subscription for 2021 we would pay same fee as last year €725 instead of new renewal fee of €745 & also get a 13th month free as compensation on missing 3 and a half months due to lockdowns..
    My subscription was due in January I decided to cancel as I am not working .
    Also they advertise you get 12 months subscription from when you join I was thinking I might come back in May or June and would expect to pay the €745 renewal.
    But I've been told if I wanted to rejoin then because I was a member in 2020 my renewal would be backdated to January 1st id be getting charged for this lockdown aswell or else a 6 month ban from joining.
    Just want to make any other members or potential members aware of how they operate.
    I think its very unfair.
    Owwa bounds

I've been a member of corballis for a few years now in December 2020 we were told if we continued our membership subscription for 2021 we would pay same fee as last year €725 instead of new renewal fee of €745 & also get a 13th month free as compensation on missing 3 and a half months due to lockdowns..
    My subscription was due in January I decided to cancel as I am not working .
    Also they advertise you get 12 months subscription from when you join I was thinking I might come back in May or June and would expect to pay the €745 renewal.
    But I've been told if I wanted to rejoin then because I was a member in 2020 my renewal would be backdated to January 1st id be getting charged for this lockdown aswell or else a 6 month ban from joining.
    Just want to make any other members or potential members aware of how they operate.
    I think its very unfair.
    Owwa bounds
    It was discussed earlier in the thread. It is the fairest for all members. Why should members who happened to have their subscriptions during this lockdown essentially get 3 free months and we would then have to subsidise you guys at the next renewal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

I was looking to book a round in with a few friends in a couple of weeks so said I'd check when visitors are allowed on a Saturday. I looked at Saturday 29th May on Chronogolf and it has 9:30 to 2:30 down as visitor only. As in I can't play because I'm a member. Can that be right? I checked my mails and they did mention in it that they'd be making 35% of weekly times visitor only. 45% member only and the remaining 20% whatever makeup you like. So also if I want to book in with visitors my only weekend option is from 4pm on a Saturday.

They've committed to making Sundays member only, but they were member only until 12/1 anyway because of the weekly comp. So basically they're making most of Saturday unavailable to members and replacing it with Sunday afternoon.

Am I reading this right? This seems bonkers to me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

blue note wrote: »
    I was looking to book a round in with a few friends in a couple of weeks so said I'd check when visitors are allowed on a Saturday. I looked at Saturday 29th May on Chronogolf and it has 9:30 to 2:30 down as visitor only. As in I can't play because I'm a member. Can that be right? I checked my mails and they did mention in it that they'd be making 35% of weekly times visitor only. 45% member only and the remaining 20% whatever makeup you like. So also if I want to book in with visitors my only weekend option is from 4pm on a Saturday.

They've committed to making Sundays member only, but they were member only until 12/1 anyway because of the weekly comp. So basically they're making most of Saturday unavailable to members and replacing it with Sunday afternoon.

Am I reading this right? This seems bonkers to me!!!!

I played Saturday just gone at 1:10 with 3 guests and booked it online so it is possible. Maybe just give the club a ring and they'll take care of it for you.

Contract is up for renewal at the end of this year. To me it is quite clear that Carr have no interest in running the golf club. Interclub and junior sections constantly blocked in sister club and I know you guys have it worse

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Contract is up for renewal at the end of this year. To me it is quite clear that Carr have no interest in running the golf club. Interclub and junior sections constantly blocked in sister club and I know you guys have it worse

Contract is up at the end of the year, the feeling is that they have invested alot into the club/course and won't be walking away this time.

If they did walk away you would wonder what would take over? Most obvious scenario would be that it reverts to the council, I cannot imagine that that would be a good scenario.

Other scenarios? I'd imagine that as it is public land it makes it complicated

willabur wrote: »
    Contract is up at the end of the year, the feeling is that they have invested alot into the club/course and won't be walking away this time.

If they did walk away you would wonder what would take over? Most obvious scenario would be that it reverts to the council, I cannot imagine that that would be a good scenario.

Other scenarios? I'd imagine that as it is public land it makes it complicated

To continue I personally feel they need to embrace the golf clubs they host!

Conditioning obviously excellent at both courses but they dont allow the golf club to prosper at either location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

gypsy79 wrote: »
    To continue I personally feel they need to embrace the golf clubs they host!

Conditioning obviously excellent at both courses but they dont allow the golf club to prosper at either location

I bet they would disagree and making a nice profit....

I think it’s very clear the product you get at both these clubs for what’s very reasonable price compared to other clubs.

I personally would have no interest in joining either because how they are run, but I can also see the need for the income for the business. Can’t have it both ways and if members agreed to pay more maybe that’s the way forward and decrease the need for guest green fees.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I bet they would disagree and making a nice profit....

I think it’s very clear the product you get at both these clubs for what’s very reasonable price compared to other clubs.

I personally would have no interest in joining either because how they are run, but I can also see the need for the income for the business. Can’t have it both ways and if members agreed to pay more maybe that’s the way forward and decrease the need for guest green fees.

Well they arent the only stakeholders. The golf clubs and Fingal county council also have a say. It is a 3 way discussion when it comes to renewals. I am sure Synergy would be interested

Our golf club have agreements with Fingal county council that are been compromised

Elmgreen is more expensive than Corballis (and rising quickly) and I feel they will struggle to get as many visitors with new pricing structures in Elmgreen

I don't think I'd like to see them go. Course condition is fantastic. I can't imagine the council would have it nearly as good and I'm not sure what the other alternative is. I imagine they're simply trying to balance the books. They've lost a heap of green fees revenue in the first 4 months of the year. They're freeing up space on the timesheet by blocking the members from it for 5 hours on a Saturday.

I imagine a big part of the problem here is that membership is so cheap. Too cheap really. But if you raised it the members would lose their ****. So the increase in membership revenue isn't nearly big enough to bridge the gap. And unfortunately with a management company whose contract is up soon, it would be foolish to take a hit financially when you might not have a chance to recoup the money over the next few years.

With all that said though, I'm still surprised they seem to be blocking the members for 5 prime time hours on a Saturday. Saturday and Sunday morning are the only times that suit me really. So this will make it harder to get on the timesheet at those times and literally impossible for some of it.

blue note wrote: »
    We must arrange a boards.ie fourball for all the Corballis members when this lockdown ends. I reckon we have about 4 on here. I'd be curious to see how we all play the course, or even just put faces to the names. Or names to the monikers.

God I'd love a game of golf now. I wouldn't even give out about the bad lies I get when I hit it where I shouldn't. Well I would, but that's part of what I miss.

Not quite a fourball, but I'm down with the brother in law and have two free spots beside me on bank holiday Monday at 7:30am. If any boardsies care to join me send me a PM. First come first serve. It's a member only time as per the website, so it might have to be a member.

Have had this in the back of my mind once the interclubs finished for the year. Any interest in getting in some saturday in Sept or October. 18th Sept or any sat in October works for me at the moment

Absolutely. That date in September doesn't work for me, but I think October should be grand. Could do the first weekend? Early would be my preference, could aim for 8am if that works for you?

Any other takers?

Works for me. It's in the calendar

Is there going to be a solution to the problem on the 8th?? Someone in Balcarrick was telling me about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

whats the problem?? long tike since ive played corballis

I believe there was an incident on the 8th where a member of the public was hit with a ball in the caravans (or has made claims at least)

There is now a stand off between Carr, golf club and the council. All heard second hand

• Advertisement

Don't think there is conflict between those 3 parties but I'd say their points of view are different. Golf club just wants to be able to use the 8th green again. Temp green is rubbish.

I'm guessing the council couldn't care less about the 8th green being temp or not.

Carr on the other hand want the green fixed because it's damaging their product but I'm guessing they don't want to pay for it.

That's before you get into the residents in the caravan park. They want the hole moved completely and have been asking for that for years. It's a wonder more people haven't been hit over the years. The vans in there are like the pillars outside the GPO

Corballis is great for what it is, and has 2 brilliant links holes, and a handful of nice holes. No other club in the country seems to generate such debate and ball ache though amongst its members. It's a good value product, and that product needs to be augmented with loads of green fees and opens.

It's hard to know what the solution will be. I was talking to a committee member. It wasn't just a ball going into the park, I believe it was several a day. And they've done serious damage over the years including hitting someone recently.

But looking at the possible solutions, I'm not sure if there's a good one. Could nets actually solve the problem? I'd have thought a lot of the problem is people hitting irons into the wind and then losing them to the left into the park. Or lads hitting out of the rough and catching it much better than expected. Or lads slicing their drive and not being sure what angle they're coming back in at. Nets would only really help with wedges being bladed through the green and the like.

I imagine leaving the green where it is is a possible solution, but not one I'd be fond of. I don't think we need another driveable par 4 (that doesn't even require a driver). I heard one suggestion was to use some land from 11 for the green, but that would mean shortening 11. I don't think you could shorten that hole and keep it a par 4.

Anyone know who was there first? It seems a totally unsuitable place for a caravan park. I certainly would never stay there. But if they were there first maybe it's a totally unsuitable place for a green.

I'd also be concerned about the houses on the sides of the 15th and 16th fairways. And the gardens to the right of 18, their houses should be safe. And they're just my concerns off the course. On top of that you have the walkers going to the beach. They haven't a clue where to look or when to walk. I wonder how many accidents there are every year. And then you have the actual dangerous spots for golfers. I've been waiting around the corner of the 3rd to hit my second and had a ball land beside me. I've hit down on people on 7 and then had the next group hit down on me. Had a ball land on 11th green while I was still putting. The 14th and 18th fairways can be lethal with so many just aiming for the middle. And same for 15 an 16 (at least you can see the other golfers on those holes).

When you think of all of the dangerous spots on the course, it's incredible that this is the only issue.

looks like there could be a significant redesign on the cards for holes 8-11. The caravan park to the left of 11 getting a lot of balls from people taking driver and going left of the barber pole.

from what I understand the propsoal is to move back the 8th tee box and move the 8th green so the approach will take the caravan park out of play (I can still see people hook a ball in there)

9th green to be made smaller to accomodate a new tee box for 10. A new green for 10 to be built into the dune at the back of the existing hole.

11 tee box to be moved way forward to make it a par 3, remove the confusing blind tee shot.

well thats my understanding of the proposal anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Reducing the course to a par 65. The 11th is a bit of a daft hole in fairness.

Was there a communication on all of that willabur? In fairness, they can't continue with a situation where balls are flying into the caravan park. So they have to do something.

I never thought balls would be going in off 11, but I suppose if you didn't know the course you might just lash away a driver there.

I don't mind the idea of 11 changing. It's the only hole on the course I just don't like. There's no proper way to play it. The lies are too bad laying up.

I think a map of the change would be nice to see.

No comms, played with a committee member there recently. There are other options on the table but it seemed by the way he was talking that a rerouting was the only long term solution. I'd imagine it would be a significant disruption to the club

Similar problem with those new houses on the right of 15, left of 16. Crazy place to build a house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Ah. The natural dune surrounding the 10th green is massive and is one of the most incredible parts of the course. The par three that plays into it is somehow underwhelming though. Curious to see what the plans would be if that was to become a par 4.

Advertisement