Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Watch

Comments

FourFourFM wrote: »
    If you think you would benefit from the always on display and having the ECG, consider a refurbished one when they’re in stock again - https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/refurbished/watch

Otherwise, no.

Eglobal has them new for 390 for 44mm (SE is 315 for 44mm). I just don’t know much about the watches but the SE phone is such a poor show that the name alone is making me dubious. What is it mainly missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Eglobal has them new for 390 for 44mm (SE is 315 for 44mm). I just don’t know much about the watches but the SE phone is such a poor show that the name alone is making me dubious. What is it mainly missing?

Take a look here and select “compare all models” - https://www.apple.com/ie/watch/compare/

I have a series 5 and I do like being able to glance at the display to see the time without needing to do the raise wrist thing. But that might be important for you. Taking an ECG isn’t really important for me either but I like having it.

They both have the same processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

As the se has the same screen as the 6 and the same processor as the 5, are they just using software to limit the always on screen capability of the se?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

What about the cellular version of the watch. Is there any provider in Ireland offering a plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

To Alcohol wrote: »
    What about the cellular version of the watch. Is there any provider in Ireland offering a plan?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

My series 6 is due on 12th Oct but I notice that apple has now taken payment, does that indicate that it could be early? Its still saying pending on the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Was thinking of upgrading to the 6.. for the blood oxygen but I've got a Series 5. Doesn't seem to be much interest on the usual marketplaces to sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Vudgie wrote: »
    My series 6 is due on 12th Oct but I notice that apple has now taken payment, does that indicate that it could be early? Its still saying pending on the order.
    usually its about to ship when they charge you for it

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Did a battery test on my S6 over the last few days. Got 38 hours out of a full charge, including two nights and two workouts. Charged it to full at 8pm on Friday night, and then didn't have to charge it again until Sunday mid-morning. Not bad at all.

I'd say if you turned off the always-on screen and turned it off at night instead of sleep tracking, you'd get a really decent three days out of a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

My series 4 has gone mad since that last update, it’s not tracking my heart on workouts, it’s missing stand hours (blacked out like the watch is off), when responding to messages from my wrist to other iMessage users I get failed to send errors.. I haven’t changed anything in terms of how I wear it or anything else.. just all these new bugs since wOS7. Annoying. It’s like Apple are poking me to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It’s the same on series 6.

Issues I’ve found on workouts

It won’t record gps at all only starting point.
    It will randomly stop recording heart rate for a few minutes
    The stand hours are blank like you said

Issues with health
    Health app is consistently 30% of my battery stats despite screen time reporting single digit screen on time.
    Health is reportedly taking 1.61TB on storage (which is blatantly untrue).

I went to the 14.2 public beta and release version of watchOS 7.0.1 but the bugs still remain. Hopefully a 14.2.1 this week will fix it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Issues with health
    Health app is consistently 30% of my battery stats despite screen time reporting single digit screen on time.

I went to the 14.2 public beta and release version of watchOS 7.0.1 but the bugs still remain. Hopefully a 14.2.1 this week will fix it

That's great to hear (well, not.. but you know what I mean :) ) Creamy! As you said, hopefully, they'll be fixed soon. I have dropped off the beta software myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

2 days with SE - 2 full days of battery life - many, many notifications later. The integrations with my usual apps is very handy and quite customizable.

The handwashing or breathing exercises are quite nice. Need to figure out the exercising tracking as Amazfit GTS had VO2 tracking and a couple of cool metrics etc whereas (I think) you need a separate app for that and I dont want to be buying any apps really on top of what I currently have.

So far so good and actually quite impressed - would be cool if whatsapp could display pictures rather than blurred thumbnails but thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭bigron2109

My series 4 has gone mad since that last update, it’s not tracking my heart on workouts, it’s missing stand hours (blacked out like the watch is off), when responding to messages from my wrist to other iMessage users I get failed to send errors.. I haven’t changed anything in terms of how I wear it or anything else.. just all these new bugs since wOS7. Annoying. It’s like Apple are poking me to replace it.

Good to hear it’s not just mine so. Since I’ve updated yesterday my work outs are not tracking correctly. The battery which I used to get a day and a half maybe even longer, is draining within a few hours .

I’ve done nothing different bar update it. Very frustrating. Hopefully they release a new update soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Apologies if this has already been posted here. I was going to upgrade my Apple 3 watch to the latest but it looks like I will have to buy a charger? Is that the case? I want to sell my existing watch so will have to sell the charger. Apple are asking a premium for the charger so would make selling my Apple 3 watch difficult to sell if I can’t provide a charger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Cerocco wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been posted here. I was going to upgrade my Apple 3 watch to the latest but it looks like I will have to buy a charger? Is that the case? I want to sell my existing watch so will have to sell the charger. Apple are asking a premium for the charger so would make selling my Apple 3 watch difficult to sell if I can’t provide a charger!

It comes with the cable but not the USB power plug...

Cerocco wrote: »

it doesn't come with the plug part only it comes with a cable still, but buying any USB plug will do and you probably - if you're like me - have dozens of them lying around the house anyways.

Issues with health

https://support.apple.com/en-hk/HT211865

so this has half fixed it for me an was a complete pain in the hoop to do.

Watch will now record GPS for all workouts going forward (done this with a quick walk around the estate)
    It will randomly stop recording heart rate for a few minutes (yet to test this fully as walking around the estate isn't long enough to show dropped heart rate recordings).
    The stand hours seemed to be back to normal again

Health app is no longer draining 30% battery.
    Health app is no longer taking up 1.61TB of space, back down to a respectable 1.08GB (which is what it roughly was because updating to iOS 14).

However and this is the big one, past workouts don't have their GPS data attached to them, I've worn an Apple Watch since Day 1 and had a Series 3 (GPS enabled one) since Day 1 of its release in 2017 so I'm missing the guts of 3 years of data which to say I was pissed about would be an understatement. I hope it's all still there but I'm not holding my breath no matter how many Breathe notifications I get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I saw something earlier, probably on Twitter, that said Apple is telling users to reset devices to get location data back. Something along those lines, I think they were referring to a factory reset of the device and to set it up as new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭iniall

Has anybody updated to watchOS 7.0.2? Is it safe??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

iniall wrote: »

Yeah, I updated my Series 5 the other night and it’s been perfect since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Safe? Why would Apple release an unsafe software?

Either definitely upgrade to this as it fixes a battery drain issue that a lot of users had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

murpho999 wrote: »

Either definitely upgrade to this as it fixes a battery drain issue that a lot of users had.
    You just answered your own question.

Apple Watch is the flakiest of apples software. Plus a lot of issues mean you brick your watch and have to send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭iniall

murpho999 wrote: »

Safe as in watchOS 7.0 destroyed my battery and stopped GPS tracking for exercise. 7.0.1 restored that (although heart rate is still very flaky), so is 7.0.2 a good update or a bad update? Thought it was safe to ask the question :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Noddy45

Don’t update if you’re using Apple Watch 3. I did and now it keeps saying I don’t have enough space. I actually got a newer version because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Ordered new verison 6 on 30 September, due date November 09

It arrived today, well impressed

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That was still a hell of a wait.

Did your tracking tell you it was coming or did it just arrive?

I ordered a few days ago and I'm being told Nov 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Dades wrote: »
    That was still a hell of a wait.

Did your tracking tell you it was coming or did it just arrive?

I ordered a few days ago and I'm being told Nov 6th.

tracking told me...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

So I'm buying the 12 Pro Max next week and will hopefully add a watch for Xmas. Are they really worth it? How well do they work with music (spotify or apple music?) and airpods whilst exercising?

Looking at a 6 series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’ve had an Apple Watch for three years now, series 3 then series 5. Am I just particularly hard on watch faces or does any else suffer from scratches? I never scratched my other watches before this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I’ve had an Apple Watch for three years now, series 3 then series 5. Am I just particularly hard on watch faces or does any else suffer from scratches? I never scratched my other watches before this

Yeah, I have had an S3 & S5 and have suffered from scratches. I did buy screen protectors when I got Series 5 but after a month just took it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I find everything after the series 3 to be very prone to scratches....I had a stainless steel series 3 and it was very good at preventing scratches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭breeno

I'd agree. I have a new series 3 since early July and it looks like I took it to war. Disappointing if I'm being honest. I haven't been playing contact sport due to the pandemic and I'm working from home and exercise is running and cycling here yet it still looks poor. Cex told me they'd only give me a C grade for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Glad it’s not just me. Its very disappointing. They don’t interfere with visuals currently but yeah, I expected better

Can I load songs on to. An Apple watch for offline play when I'm out for a run? If so, what's the experience like? Do you have to have apple music?

I've researched but no real clear answer. Some says you need cellular data on the watch.

• Advertisement

Can I load songs on to. An Apple watch for offline play when I'm out for a run? If so, what's the experience like? Do you have to have apple music?

I've researched but no real clear answer. Some says you need cellular data on the watch.

I have hundreds of CDs albums loaded onto iTunes on my laptop, I have a handful of those albums added to my iPhone and then have some of those transferred to my Apple Watch to listen to when I'm out running and my phone is at home

Apple Music definitely works this way, just select whatever music you want and once both devices are charging at the same time the music will be added to the watch.

I did see something about Spotify support but I’m not sure if it was still a beta test or whether it was released. Don’t know if that was for cellular models only or for storing music offline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I am selling my series 3 with all original packaging. Would i be allowed to link the advert in here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

7.1 is out

I'm getting a series 6 for Christmas but I'm unsure which size to get? Is there any real difference apart from screen real estate?

Anything else I should consider before ordering? Thinking of getting a solo loop too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I'm getting a series 6 for Christmas but I'm unsure which size to get? Is there any real difference apart from screen real estate?

Anything else I should consider before ordering? Thinking of getting a solo loop too.

Would need to know wrist size?

If you have small wrists and want to look cool and nice and neat on your wrist get he smaller one.

If like me you don’t care about that and want it for function, bigger screen and battery. Get the bigger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

I ordered the Nike version on October 29th and i got a delivery date for December 8th. You might need to jump on it soon for a Christmas Delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I updated my watch on Sunday to the latest OS, since then, I'm lucky if I get a day out of the battery, I was getting 2 days out of it up until that. Im using an iphone 12 with the latest software. I unpaired and re-paired the watch, but still nothing changed. It's really disappointing .

Anyone else had similar issues, my watch is the series 4.

I updated my watch on Sunday to the latest OS, since then, I'm lucky if I get a day out of the battery, I was getting 2 days out of it up until that. Im using an iphone 12 with the latest software. I unpaired and re-paired the watch, but still nothing changed. It's really disappointing .

Anyone else had similar issues, my watch is the series 4.

I’m on series 4 and the latest OS and battery life has been the same as always for me. Must be something specific that’s draining your battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

DubDJ wrote: »
    I’m on series 4 and the latest OS and battery life has been the same as always for me. Must be something specific that’s draining your battery.

Thanks, Ive tried seeing what is draining the energy, when I go into usage, it doesn't show which app is using which percentage. It's annoying, it's sporadic on top of it, Ive charged it aT 7PM, IT'S AT 98% now, so no issue-I'm flummoxed :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't have a big wrist, and am not a fan of enormous watches anyway, so I ordered the 40mm version.

It's doesn't shout WEARABLE like the 44mm, but the screen is quite small. Not sure this matters though as except for running I'm never tapping the screen anyway.

So I think I’ve decided on the 44mm SE rather than the series 6. I really don’t care about ECG or blood oxygen tracking and I’m failing to see too much of a difference between the two watches.

Anyone have the SE and feel happy with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

So I think I’ve decided on the 44mm SE rather than the series 6. I really don’t care about ECG or blood oxygen tracking and I’m failing to see too much of a difference between the two watches.

Anyone have the SE and feel happy with it?

For me the biggest difference would be the always on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

For me the biggest difference would be the always on screen.

It was the first thing I turned off on my series 5.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    It was the first thing I turned off on my series 5.

Same for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement