Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Just a heads up - Harvey Norman have 10% off Apple Watches today.

Picked up a 44mm Space Grey Aluminium for €440, almost €50 off.

They also have Series 4 for €380 I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They done the same last year.
    It’s one of the very few occasions where it’s genuinely a sale item in Harvey Norman 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Got one today too - impulse buy

Is a screen protector or case needed?

Any recommendations for 3rd party straps? Like the Milanese?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

ablelocks wrote: »
    Got one today too - impulse buy

Is a screen protector or case needed?

Any recommendations for 3rd party straps? Like the Milanese?

Debating the screen protector / case thing myself. Some of the cases look very bulky so might just go with a screen protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Seriously? go with neither. You don’t see people wondering around with screen protectors or cases on an Omega or Rolex which cost ten times as much. A watch is made to be worn and scratches and dings are part of that. If you’re worried about resale the battery life goes to pot after 4-5 years anyways and are not really worth replacing.

The watch is still quite bulky compared to most traditional watches don’t add more bulk.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,481 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Screen protector or cover is just daft on the Watches. The screen doesn't scratch that easily.

Like how many times do you ever bang your wrist against anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't bother with screen protectors or screens.

I have series 4 almost a year now and barely a mark on it and I wear it all the time in all situations.

It's a very durable screen.

A case on it would look ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

awec wrote: »
    Screen protector or cover is just daft on the Watches. The screen doesn't scratch that easily.

Like how many times do you ever bang your wrist against anything?

Constantly for me. Whether it’s putting coal in the fire or walking through the doors I’m constantly hopping my watch off things.
    It has a few scratches but it’s no big deal. You can’t see them unless the screen is off.
    I also have apple care for it so can always replace but honestly it’s not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/apple-watch-bike-series-5-with-nike-sport-band-40mm-silver-aluminium-case-32795-3304356

Edit: £353 for the 44mm space grey one on the UK site or €399 on the Irish site.

Here you go lads in case anyone missed it. Big discount direct from Nike if that's the one ye were thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Raging I missed this. Is it likely to be repeated by HN or has anyone else done something similar in the past?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

iniall wrote: »
    Raging I missed this. Is it likely to be repeated by HN or has anyone else done something similar in the past?

I think I remember them doing similar on Black Friday before

I think I remember them doing similar on Black Friday before

Deffo wasn’t matched for Black Friday last year or the year before. I know that as I was chasing a series 4 last year.

Anyone have any recommendations for a portable charger for apple watch series 5? A good few of the ones I saw on amazon are not suitable for series 5 for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

Anyone have any recommendations for a portable charger for apple watch series 5? A good few of the ones I saw on amazon are not suitable for series 5 for some reason....

A power bank with your charging cable? Mophie / Anker good brands but anything should do :o

You should get 2 days out of the watch even using it for training both days.
    Unless your thinking is that you go away for the weekend and don’t want to drag the charger and plug etc

This is where the AirPower would have been superb. One cable. One may. Charge phone, watch and AirPods in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

kceire wrote: »
    You should get 2 days out of the watch even using it for training both days.
    Unless your thinking is that you go away for the weekend and don’t want to drag the charger and plug etc

This is where the AirPower would have been superb. One cable. One may. Charge phone, watch and AirPods in one.

Stick in low power mode overnight and you’ll get the weekend out of it easily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Do people wear theirs overnight? Tend to leave mine to charge once heading to sleep.

• Administrators Posts: 53,481 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do people wear theirs overnight? Tend to leave mine to charge once heading to sleep.

Always take mine off at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

awec wrote: »
    Always take mine off at night.

I take mine off at night too. Every second night, I would need to charge it (it used to be every third night)

I take mine off.
    My wife wears hers, she tracks her sleep and then she just charges while dressing, showering etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Take mine off in the evening and put on going to bed to track sleep heart rate etc.

I would have assumed the night tracking would be a fairly common use, but I must be wrong judging the responses :o

I travel every week, didn't think I'd get 2 days out of the battery to be honest. I've a stand beside bed with the charging cable in that so it'd be a pita to unplug it every week.

I don't get the night tracking to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

I travel every week, didn't think I'd get 2 days out of the battery to be honest. I've a stand beside bed with the charging cable in that so it'd be a pita to unplug it every week.

Similar to yourself I travel a lot and so bought this from Harvey Normann

https://www.harveynorman.ie/mobile-phones/phone-accessories/power-banks/alogic-6700mah-power-bank-space-grey.html

Expensive for what it is but works well. I tried to order similar from Amazon but they don’t ship any to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I sleep with mine. Capture as much data as possible. I only take it off and charge when I need to. As in showering/ washing dishes etc. Might leave it on charge for a bit longer but that does me. I try to keep it between 20 and 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Leave on at night ... handy as a night-time torch! :D

Take mine off in the evening and put on going to bed to track sleep heart rate etc.

I would have assumed the night tracking would be a fairly common use, but I must be wrong judging the responses :o

Mine is mainly day time training tracking.
    There’s a use for us all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭digiman

How long does it take Apple Watch 5 to charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Just get a second charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Thinking of upgrading to a Series 4, I see Apple have them certified refurbished. Anyone purchased refurbished products from them before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

After switching to iPhone XR planning to move to apple watch now from Fitbit...any tips or things to consider?

Advertisement