Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hmmm But this is a physical reaction not a mental health issue. It really is physical . I turned a corner once I realised that.

maybe it is both, i have seen people radically change due to the seasons, and particularly mentally, some suffering fairly serious depression during the winter months, a friend even moved to a warmer country, partly due to this

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Yep! I was on wrongly prescribed meds for 30 years on a major misdiagnosis and the withdrawals when I ditched them... OH MY!

I have many days when I can barely function and just go with it. I basically live in bed now. Do the bare minimum. And I mean BARE! But I am headed for 80 and coping with a major illness also. I would not take psych meds ever. We are each different and make our own choices. But I will never forget the influx of light and colours when I got off benzos etc. The meds dull everything. And I have so little time left now. So little. I seek to experience everything, whatever it is .
    Graces, I think you are a trooper. Keep on truckin!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Day 4 of going up to 20mg citalopram. Yesterday was up today is down. Very hard to tell if its the meds or just not being at work, not getting out etc. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Meeoow wrote: »
    Graces, I think you are a trooper. Keep on truckin!

lol... I am actually running away from the tendency to file old folk away in homes! Or " sheltered accommodation" aka jail! ( I Know!that is just MY view!)

Now This small island is PERFECT

And seriously my extended family on Canada know my wishes etc

Been here over 4 years now and am part of the scenery and love it. Just LOVE it.

But this new painful body … arrived the same time covid did. And seriously, the whole mood changes at night if I wake and switch the light on

lol... I am actually running away from the tendency to file old folk away in homes! Or " sheltered accommodation" aka jail! ( I Know!that is just MY view!)

Now This small island is PERFECT

And seriously my extended family on Canada know my wishes etc

Been here over 4 years now and am part of the scenery and love it. Just LOVE it.

It's good that you love your home and you are content!

• Advertisement

It's good that you love your home and you are content!

Yes and being settled helps to cope with the assaults of arthritis and exhaustion so that depression does not take over. My supply lines are well set up and we who are cocooned are very well supported. Just a phone call.... It has been a long settling! And now I know how swift any medical emergency is dealt with; when I called, as soon as they heard "inish" the helicopter was alerted and airborne and the neighbour who acts as a taxi was swiftly here.

Graces7 wrote:
    Yes and being settled helps to cope with the assaults of arthritis and exhaustion so that depression does not take over. My supply lines are well set up and we who are cocooned are very well supported. Just a phone call.... It has been a long settling! And now I know how swift any medical emergency is dealt with; when I called, as soon as they heard "inish" the helicopter was alerted and airborne and the neighbour who acts as a taxi was swiftly here.

How many live on the island?

I started a new anti depressant today. Hopefully it'll help🀞

I started a new anti depressant today. Hopefully it'll help��

only started my first ssri few months ago, felt it working almost immediately, below therapeutic level, but serotine levels went a little too high, upon increasing dosage, badly affecting my sight, blurred vision, was corrected with a reduction in dosage. best of luck with it

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    How many live on the island?

It may sound crazy but I am not sure! Like all the islands which are all teetering dangerously on depopulation, we have "permanent residents" and summer folk. More summer folk these days. And this year with covid has been chaotic. So not a lot, which is another reason I came here.

• Advertisement

It may sound crazy but I am not sure! Like all the islands which are all teetering dangerously on depopulation, we have "permanent residents" and summer folk. More summer folk these days. And this year with covid has been chaotic. So not a lot, which is another reason I came here.

what island are you actually living on, pm if you dont want to post it on the open forum, just interested to know? thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Earlier in Sept was looking brighter. Things were pretty bad yesterday and not great today. There's only so much running and yoga can do. Job hunting is a big factor in my depression. Two and half years of this and currently in a role with a crap boss. I've done it all, new CV, career coach...competency stuff and nothing. Completely demoralised.

Seeing psych again on Oct 8th. Hard to get through the Samaritans sometimes. Will talk to my GP on Mon.

best of luck with it

Thanks. Jaw clenching and heartburn already. Better be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Thanks. Jaw clenching and heartburn already. Better be worth it.

Jaw clenching and teeth grinding are often something we develop over time. Especially stress. I think I got it in my teens, was years later before I was diagnosed.

I wear a mouthguard, that helps. You can get one from your dentist, or from a sports shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hi all,

I'm finding these videos about celebs/sports figures who detail their issues very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_T9Jg0U2DA&t=21s

Not a huge Dwayne Johnson fan but this video is quite reassuring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Jaw clenching and teeth grinding are often something we develop over time. Especially stress. I think I got it in my teens, was years later before I was diagnosed.

I wear a mouthguard, that helps. You can get one from your dentist, or from a sports shop.

I developed it recently from my PTSD. I had to get a crown adjusted as I was putting a lot of pressure on one particular tooth.

Now I do stretching exercises with my jaw (basically big yawn motions) at night and first thing in the morning and it seems to have helped.

I am still clenching though, I tried a mouth guard but Im still clenching with it in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

GP prescribed Mirtazapine. I'm new to meds, will see how they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

GP prescribed Mirtazapine. I'm new to meds, will see how they go.

I'm on it too, quite effective, usually good night's sleep too

I'm on it too, quite effective, usually good night's sleep too

Thanks, I mentioned that to her. This 1-6am lark has to stop.

Thanks, I mentioned that to her. This 1-6am lark has to stop.

What dose you on out of curiosity?

Only problem from it is I seem to snore a lot at night which can be a problem if you have a significant other!

• Advertisement

Dose - 15mg.

Dose - 15mg.

Same as myself then, hope it gives you as much help has it has with me

Feeling depressed today after a long days work. I always get sad when tired. Jealous of other people living a happier more successful life

I'm going for a snooze see if I feel better. Not sleeping well at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

I'm going for a snooze see if I feel better. Not sleeping well at night

What works for me is getting up early. I seem to manage being awake from an early hour much better than not being able to sleep at a late hour - if you know what I mean?

I get up at 5.30am for the gym 3 times a week so on non gym days I just force myself out of the bed by 6am regardless of how badly I have slept the night before. It means when it comes round to bed time I am usually tired and not lying awake. So at least I fall asleep. I dont sleep well anymore but I cant do the lying awake with my mind racing til 3am or 4am so at least I avoid that.

hayoc wrote: »
    What works for me is getting up early. I seem to manage being awake from an early hour much better than not being able to sleep at a late hour - if you know what I mean?

I get up at 5.30am for the gym 3 times a week so on non gym days I just force myself out of the bed by 6am regardless of how badly I have slept the night before. It means when it comes round to bed time I am usually tired and not lying awake. So at least I fall asleep. I dont sleep well anymore but I cant do the lying awake with my mind racing til 3am or 4am so at least I avoid that.

I'm up at 7 every morning myself

Tried to snooze but the missus came home. I admit I was cranky for the evening. Gotta tell my psych that I'm not sleeping properly

Tried to snooze but the missus came home. I admit I was cranky for the evening. Gotta tell my psych that I'm not sleeping properly

There's nothing worse that consistent sh1t night sleeps, how could anyone be upbeat after a few of those, I'd second the getting up early, going on a couple of hours here, up since 7, alarm at 5.30

Does anyone ever get these 'spikes' of impostor syndrome? Like, the feeling of this 'toxic' level of being an impostor? Stuff that literally makes you go into a funk?

I know it's really weird to describe, but there's times where I get this almost 'frozen panic' that come on me. And Weird things can set it off. Feelings of inadequacy in terms of intelligence, feeling like I haven't earned things... the list goes on and on.

Does anyone ever get these 'spikes' of impostor syndrome? Like, the feeling of this 'toxic' level of being an impostor? Stuff that literally makes you go into a funk?

I know it's really weird to describe, but there's times where I get this almost 'frozen panic' that come on me. And Weird things can set it off. Feelings of inadequacy in terms of intelligence, feeling like I haven't earned things... the list goes on and on.

this is apparently common enough in the world of mental health issues, i do suspect ive experienced it before, but im a lot more comfortable in my own skin nowadays

this is apparently common enough in the world of mental health issues, i do suspect ive experienced it before, but im a lot more comfortable in my own skin nowadays

Yeah, I got a real spike of it yesterday-things unearned, results unearned, this feeling of almost being frozen like I'm 'about to be found out'...

It's hard to explain. I suppose the 'panic' that overcame me would be the equivalent of committing a crime, and realizing the police had discovered this and were about to arrest me.

I had to go to bed around 3pm and sleep it out until this morning. Never got a spike this strong. I do usually get this feeling, and feel like crap for a couple of days. But I can motor thru it... Sometimes writing stuff down helps.

• Advertisement

Strong feelings of loneliness tonight

Advertisement