Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Switch to brown bread from banana for the morning? May indeed be unrelated of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

fr336 wrote: »
    Yeah the more i think about it i have been having a bananna with the cit to not have an empty stomach then going back to bed and sleeping on my stomach obviously! However only problem with thia theory is why am i not constipated every day why just certain times, and today i didnt go back as had work earlier. I was walking along saying what a nice morning then out of nowhere it started...thought i was going into a heart attack at one point

Quick check on Wikipedia, no sign of constipation so maybe check the leaflet that came with it it might be more thorough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Quick check on Wikipedia, no sign of constipation so maybe check the leaflet that came with it it might be more thorough

Yep its definitely a side effect - along with everything else lol

Yep its definitely a side effect - along with everything else lol

OK so best thing is speak to your doctor about it ASAP if it's causing you discomfort

OK so best thing is speak to your doctor about it ASAP if it's causing you discomfort

Yeah i will probably but realistically what can they do? Change dose? Get me on some other meds with more joyful side effects? Sigh lol

• Advertisement

Yeah i will probably but realistically what can they do? Change dose? Get me on some other meds with more joyful side effects? Sigh lol

No idea, but I'd give them a call tomorrow morning to discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

One piece of advice my parents former chemist gave them was, whenever you're prescribed a tablet, antibiotic or whatever, drink lots of water.

These tablets can have all kinds of side effects (as can our conditions-the mind can wreak havoc on the rest of the body. My stomach knows how stress affects me). Even something like a disprin will upset my stomach-been like that since I was a child.

The more you hydrate, especially water, the more you help flush out side effects. That and constipation-we all get that at some point. You need water and fibre to help with that.

For me the side effects were often feeling sleepy or tired. (Starting to take vitamins helped too-but that's just me. Tests showed I was ran down.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One piece of advice my parents former chemist gave them was, whenever you're prescribed a tablet, antibiotic or whatever, drink lots of water.

These tablets can have all kinds of side effects (as can our conditions-the mind can wreak havoc on the rest of the body. My stomach knows how stress affects me). Even something like a disprin will upset my stomach-been like that since I was a child.

The more you hydrate, especially water, the more you help flush out side effects. That and constipation-we all get that at some point. You need water and fibre to help with that.

For me the side effects were often feeling sleepy or
    tired. (Starting to take vitamins helped too-but that's just me. Tests showed I was ran down.)

You beat me to it ;).

I am on codeine and when I need to increase dosage; get bunged up. Fluids are the answer.

Giving turmeric a fair try just now as the alternative is not being able even to walk.. :eek: Taking each with a full glass of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I'm awake since 2am, stuff going on, annoying me. Have to head to work now, so tired. I'm on the verge of going off sick. But I know there would be no going back if I do that.

Meeoow wrote: »
    I'm awake since 2am, stuff going on, annoying me. Have to head to work now, so tired. I'm on the verge of going off sick. But I know there would be no going back if I do that.

((((HUGS)))) Is part of it the drab weather? It is with me. Struggling here but at least no need to work etc. Blessings to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Graces7 wrote: »
    ((((HUGS)))) Is part of it the drab weather? It is with me. Struggling here but at least no need to work etc. Blessings to you

Thanks, I know I should be grateful to have a job, and I am. But I am finding it really hard to deal with assholes at work at the minute. I'm letting them get to me, instead of 'tits and teeth' as my counsellor says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

My sister recommends you don't eat a banana near any sleeping, it will keep you pumped.

Also not looking forward to the dark nights coming in, depression kicks in hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Also not looking forward to the dark nights coming in, depression kicks in hard.

I've been dreading these dark evenings for weeks now.

Meeoow wrote: »
    Thanks, I know I should be grateful to have a job, and I am. But I am finding it really hard to deal with assholes at work at the minute. I'm letting them get to me, instead of 'tits and teeth' as my counsellor says.

Being thankful does not destroy annoyances and frustrations... Hang on in there!

It is the dark mornings I find frustrating. I am an early bird as I call family in Canada most mornings and then would enjoy a gentle amble watching the dawn rise over the ocean. Now I cannot get out until nearly 7 am!

carzony wrote: »
    I've been dreading these dark evenings for weeks now.

Confront it? Extra lamps? Candles? Dread is a waste of precious energy. it is what it is. By Christmas it will be on the upturn again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

SMC92Ian wrote:
    My sister recommends you don't eat a banana near any sleeping, it will keep you pumped.

Eating in general near bed time, is not recommended, loading your body and mind with energy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There are some who use those SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) lamps for when the days get darker.
    Apparently, for some, there is a link between the lack of sunlight and more severe depression.

If one is dreading the dark nights, it might be something to look into. Possibly talk to your GP, or maybe ask about vitamins too. I know lack of vitamin D can make depression worse too, it's why we're encouraged to go outside more.

There are some who use those SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) lamps for when the days get darker.
    Apparently, for some, there is a link between the lack of sunlight and more severe depression.

If one is dreading the dark nights, it might be something to look into. Possibly talk to your GP, or maybe ask about vitamins too. I know lack of vitamin D can make depression worse too, it's why we're encouraged to go outside more.

I don't go to doctors, I just do it myself. It's def a sunlight thing, I'm enjoying going out of little walks in the evening but in a month it'll be pitch dark and the weather will be miserable, not looking forward to it. Also I need to get out for cardio health.

I don't go to doctors, I just do it myself. It's def a sunlight thing, I'm enjoying going out of little walks in the evening but in a month it'll be pitch dark and the weather will be miserable, not looking forward to it. Also I need to get out for cardio health.

some doctors are extremely helpful in regards mental health issues, some are sh1te of course

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    some doctors are extremely helpful in regards mental health issues, some are sh1te of course

It is a natural reaction to the seasons, not a mental health issue? In tune with the seasons . If we can learn to live with that? I find it easier every year now. as I understand that much more.

• Advertisement

Agree totally. I walk early in the day though! And make sure I keep active by moving around, walking to the gate and back etc every hour or so. Not cardio health but keeping mobility. Today I was out for berries even in the drizzle and really enjoyed the challenge.

Graces7 wrote:
    It is a natural reaction to the seasons, not a mental health issue? In tune with the seasons . If we can learn to live with that? I find it easier every year now. as I understand that much more.

I'd disagree there to a degree, I've met some that are desperately affected by the change in seasons, I personally love it, the changes in the landscape are fantastic, the mountains are stunning in the snow etc, I would class it as a mental health issue for some, have witnessed this in some, very debilitating

I'd disagree there to a degree, I've met some that are desperately affected by the change in seasons, I personally love it, the changes in the landscape are fantastic, the mountains are stunning in the snow etc, I would class it as a mental health issue for some, have witnessed this in some, very debilitating

I can chime in to, I'm fine from around March to August, once the dark evenings hit then it gets really bad, it's like a switch goes in my head and I'm no longer me, I become restless, my personality changes, suicidal for no reason, loss of hope, very very odd and annoying, lots of people have told me how different I am during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hermes Trismegistus

penovine wrote: »
    Dr wants to start me on Cymbalta - I am reluctant - but I also have neuropathic pain - as well as depression - so thats why he has chosen it.

For those of you who have been on it or are on it, what have your experiences been on it?

I am scared of nasty side effects.

TIA

Out of the seven or so psych meds I had been on over a space of six years a while back, Cymbalta was the only one that offered me any sort of noticable relief. I made the mistake of coming off it after a while because I thought I was 'cured' (by the way - psychiactric medications will never 'cure') and I after trying it again it didnt work as effectively the second time so I gave up on the medication route; I was so tired of the side-affects and having to go through all sorts of withdrawals on a regular basis.

Out of the seven or so psych meds I had been on over a space of six years a while back, Cymbalta was the only one that offered me any sort of noticable relief. I made the mistake of coming off it after a while because I thought I was 'cured' (by the way - psychiactric medications will never 'cure') and I after trying it again it didnt work as effectively the second time so I gave up on the medication route; I was so tired of the side-affects and having to go through all sorts of withdrawals on a regular basis.

For me on the other hand, I don't think I'd be here if it wasn't for medication. I literally couldn't get out of bed

Well things have been far better digestively since not going back to bed after eating. Just taken my first 20mg citalopram, doubt i will increase further unless i see major improvement and need to in future. Fingers crossed

Second day on citalopram 20mg, felt a bit down all day which i havent felt since i started 10mg. Hope it just one day but wishful thinking im sure.

4 weeks on citalopram overall tomorrow. I live in hope....

Agree totally; I did not say it is universal! I hate summer myself. Others love it. I a, badly affected in winter though. well from August but know why and accept it

Yep! I was on wrongly prescribed meds for 30 years on a major misdiagnosis and the withdrawals when I ditched them... OH MY!

I have many days when I can barely function and just go with it. I basically live in bed now. Do the bare minimum. And I mean BARE! But I am headed for 80 and coping with a major illness also. I would not take psych meds ever. We are each different and make our own choices. But I will never forget the influx of light and colours when I got off benzos etc. The meds dull everything. And I have so little time left now. So little. I seek to experience everything, whatever it is .

• Advertisement

Hmmm But this is a physical reaction not a mental health issue. It really is physical . I turned a corner once I realised that.

Advertisement