Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part the Fourth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

A_Lost_Man wrote: »
    abortion is necessary because someday the world is going to die due to over population. In past religious leaders ban abortion because of less population and due to non availability of psy. But know there is psy everwhere.
    A_Lost_Man wrote: »
    Actually i was referring to "pussy". My point was in past due to non availibility of females for marriages (fvking ceremonies) church needed to increase their strength and they ban abortion and there was a problem with church it thought the human population is very less and to increase their followers they ban abortion for their personal beneift but know it is not a issue.

Mod warning: Statements such as "pussy is everywhere" in the context of abortion is insensitive to the point that I consider it trolling.

I note you've already received a yellow card in this forum yesterday. Any more of this type of nonsense and you will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"I have had people from the pro-choice side say they are giving me their vote simply because in Irish politics so many people stick their finger in the air to see what way the wind is blowing, and people see politicians as flip-floppy and careerists and doing what they need to do to keep their seats,” Mr Tóibín said.

yeah right, if he told me it was going to rain tomorrow I wouldn't believe him...

As for being an opportunist on abortion, surely that applies to him, it was his chance to make a name for himself, Lucinda tried the same thing and it worked out great for her :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

So instead Mr Tóibín is going to raise it on the doorstep himself, that's quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i'm almost sure i suggested this would be the case either here or another thread.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Pro-choice voters need to be asking candidates about safe access zones and removing the medically unnecessary three day wait.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm honestly considering giving low preferences to the FG trio just to put a dent in Toibin's chances.

I'm honestly considering giving low preferences to the FG trio just to put a dent in Toibin's chances.

I suspect we're going to end up with a rainbow coalition of some sort, with all the variety and appeal of a pavement pizza after a night on the lash, which will last six months tops. Toibin would fit right in. It is a sad state of affairs where your candidate selection runs from least worst to totally abhorrent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

smacl wrote: »
    I suspect we're going to end up with a rainbow coalition of some sort, with all the variety and appeal of a pavement pizza after a night on the lash, which will last six months tops. Toibin would fit right in. It is a sad state of affairs where your candidate selection runs from least worst to totally abhorrent.

I'm lucky - I have 2 candidates who I would vote for anyway.
    Mind you - only one of them has even the slightest chance of being elected it would be frankly amazing if they ended up within an asses roar of being in govt.
    But I can write 1 and 2 with a clear conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

"I have had people from the pro-choice side say they are giving me their vote simply because in Irish politics so many people stick their finger in the air to see what way the wind is blowing, and people see politicians as flip-floppy and careerists and doing what they need to do to keep their seats,” Mr Tóibín said.

yeah right, if he told me it was going to rain tomorrow I wouldn't believe him...

As for being an opportunist on abortion, surely that applies to him, it was his chance to make a name for himself, Lucinda tried the same thing and it worked out great for her :pac:

He's a good man for the unsubstantiated/false claims alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Detailed analysis of the state of abortion legislation and the various party's positions. Plenty of work needs to be done, and plenty of opportunity for mischief from the anti-abortion side, especially Fianna Fail. https://villagemagazine.ie/the-elections-unspoken-issue/

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'm lucky - I have 2 candidates who I would vote for anyway.
    Mind you - only one of them has even the slightest chance of being elected it would be frankly amazing if they ended up within an asses roar of being in govt.
    But I can write 1 and 2 with a clear conscience.

A friend of mine's voting technique is to select your candidates from 1 to 9 in order of number of slaps you'd like to give them. Works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A friend of mine's voting technique is to select your candidates from 1 to 9 in order of number of slaps you'd like to give them. Works for me :)
    But what if there is no candidate with whom you feel you could confine yourself to just the one slap?

Peregrinus wrote: »
    But what if there is no candidate with whom you feel you could confine yourself to just the one slap?

That's why you bring a fish.
    A large fish.

Now's the time to strike, when new TD's are feeling generous, get in with your requests for changes in law on maternity etc medical premises protection from harassment when the iron is hot... https://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-ard-fheis-5-4074582-Jun2018/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not the best technique to be fair,
    Why would you want to give Irish freedom party any vote...even if it was 9th on the list? :eek:

Opened my mail this morning to find a letter from Rónán Mullen asking me to vote for him the the Seanad elections.
    Once I stopped empty retching at the thought I was grateful for the reminder to vote for Someone Else.

From the Abortion Support Network's recent newsletter:
    A couple in Ireland who had a serious foetal diagnosis but – and you know this is coming – not serious enough for Ireland to perform the abortion. What struck us about this case was something we’ve seen happen with two other clients. They are given a foetal diagnosis, told the diagnosis is bad but not bad enough to get treatment in Ireland, and that there is nothing the hospital can do other than advise them to travel to England for a termination. All that is frustrating, but understandable given Ireland’s law. But. But. What we’ve been hearing about are doctors who make the process more difficult and shaming by telling these parents that they “need to wait” before travelling to England until more tests are done. The phrase used is “You will feel better about the termination if you know everything that is wrong with the baby.” In this and the two other cases, the doctors have been clear that the test results have no chance of either showing no abnormality or showing that the issue will be serious enough to enable termination in Ireland. They are simply trying to make people in this situation delay travelling, and trying to use guilt and shame to do so.

Absolutely scummy, unethical and unprofessional behaviour. Of course the later an abortion happens, the more traumatic and expensive it is, the fewer places which can perform it, and even in the UK there are term limits.

From the Abortion Support Network's recent newsletter:

Absolutely scummy, unethical and unprofessional behaviour. Of course the later an abortion happens, the more traumatic and expensive it is, the fewer places which can perform it, and even in the UK there are term limits.

A variation of the "we will have to wait until there is no foetal heartbeat" ploy.

Abortion Access Campaign West (galway) is screening Abandoned, a documentary about the impact of 'conscientious objectors' on women's health and well being, on 11 March. Here is the film: https://abandoned.film/

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AACWest/

• Advertisement

There was a safe areas measure in the bill, but they removed it :(

There was a safe areas measure in the bill, but they removed it :(
    The removal of the safe zones provisions was engineered by a minor party, ACT New Zealand, who are classical liberal/libertarian in outlook. Presumably they felt that the safe zones provisions represented an unwarranted intrusion on the rights of assembly and free speech, although I haven't seen any news coverage of their reasons.

I don't give a toss about them or their reasons, people have a right to access healthcare facilities without being harassed.

I don't give a toss about them or their reasons, people have a right to access healthcare facilities without being harassed.

harassment is already illegal. already covered and dealt with by existing law.
    protesting is perfectly legal, and if anyone does go over board the law is already perfectly capable of dealing with it.
    so you have no complaint, apart from the fact people have a different view to you, for which i'm afraid you are going to just have to deal with as the rest of us do on a daily basis.

harassment is already illegal. already covered and dealt with by existing law.
    protesting is perfectly legal, and if anyone does go over board the law is already perfectly capable of dealing with it.
    so you have no complaint, apart from the fact people have a different view to you, for which i'm afraid you are going to just have to deal with as the rest of us do on a daily basis.

Tell me, do you think it is reasonable for people to 'protest' outside a politicians home?

There's obviously a tension between my right not to be harrassed and your right to free speech and/or assembly. I agree with you that, when I'm seeking medical treatment, my right probably trumps yours. But it does raise wider questions; is this particular context the only one in which my right trumps yours? If so, why? If not, in what other contexts or situations are your rights of free speech and assembly to be denied in order for me not to feel harassed?

in certain circumstances as long as it is non-violent, i think i likely would think it may be a proportionate responce, but it should be done after all other protest mechanisms have been tried with no result.
    a private home is not comparable to a building however in my view.

But why should a politician's neighbours, children etc be subject to the disruption of a protest outside their private residence?
    Do people not have the right to go about their private lives in peace - especially had no input into/influence over whatever is being protested?

Tell me, do you think it is reasonable for people to 'protest' outside a politicians home?

for the most part no, however there probably would be the odd case where i specifically wouldn't condemn it as long as it was peaceful. but ideally people shouldn't protest there given it is a private home and is not part of the job for which a politician is involved in doing.
    for me private homes are not comparable to public buildings or even business buildings.

• Advertisement

But why should a politician's neighbours, children etc be subject to the disruption of a protest outside their private residence?
    Do people not have the right to go about their private lives in peace - especially had no input into/influence over whatever is being protested?

why should anyone be subject to the disruption of any protest anywhere?
    my answer is because disruption to someone is unavoidable.
    disruption is mitagated against at every protest, whether it be traffic or other divertions, but ultimately someone will be put off track.
    also to mention i have given an updated answer to your original question in post 180.

Advertisement