Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part the Fourth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Surely in order to reverse it they would need to hold yet another referendum? The 8th has been repealed. FF could try and amend the legislation to bring in restrictions or even outlaw abortion via legislation.
    Given the percentage Repeal won by this would, imho, be a very unwise move politically.

This is just mudslinging. I doubt whoever is behind this campaign genuinely believes FF plans to 'repeal repeal'. I was just wondering if FF wanted to allay lingering concerns among pro-choice voters, it might come out and say it intended to abolish the three-day waiting period or whatever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was just wondering if FF wanted to allay lingering concerns among pro-choice voters, it might come out and say it intended to abolish the three-day waiting period or whatever.

Won't happen in a million years, FF as a party really at its TD core is anti women and wanted the 8th to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cabaal wrote: »
    Won't happen in a million years, FF as a party really at its TD core is anti women and wanted the 8th to remain.

If anything it will lock in the three day wait and possibly increase it, as well as suggest in future it would reduce access to abortion by allowing institutional conscientious objection.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lazygal wrote: »
    If anything it will lock in the three day wait and possibly increase it, as well as suggest in future it would reduce access to abortion by allowing institutional conscientious objection.

Which in the current political climate would only be possible if they managed to secure a majority govt that is less favourable to Pro-Choice- unlikely even if they had a coalition as I can't see them - or the likes of Aontú - getting enough seats to push it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Aontu will have 1 seat max and even that one is in doubt.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

#45 acquires a "spiritual advisor" named Paula White.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-50352939/paula-white-cain-faith-advisers-in-the-white-house

Here's Ms White showing off her pro-life dibs, especially the bit at 1:20 where she enjoins baby Jesus to make "all satanic pregnancies to miscarry right now”:

https://twitter.com/GuthrieGF/status/1221208783411650560

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Anyone else thinking of Carrie right now? 🤣

robindch wrote: »
    #45 acquires a "spiritual advisor" named Paula White.

Here's Ms White showing off her pro-life dibs, especially the bit at 1:20 where she enjoins baby Jesus to make "all satanic pregnancies to miscarry right now”:

https://twitter.com/GuthrieGF/status/1221208783411650560

I often ponder over my morning coffee who is really the more batshyte crazy mentally challenged - those who spout it or those who believe it.
    I suppose those who spout and believe have the edge but I do tend to view those who professionally spout as latter day Elmer Gantrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don was at an anti-abortion rally two days ago in the US, I assumed it was to rally religious people around him in his hour of need as he's known to have alternative views on abortion to them. What are satanic pregnancies that the losing of the baby [as the anti-abortion see the foetus] is seen as a worthy aim?

aloyisious wrote: »
    What are satanic pregnancies that the losing of the baby [as the anti-abortion see the foetus] is seen as a worthy aim?

Potential Godammed Liberulz?

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Potential Godammed Liberulz?

I was mooting same-sex couples and [through nature's mishaps] childless couples using AI or surrogates to go outside the remits of the good book.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think we all remember this train wreck of an interview with a pro lifer called Sarah Louise Mulligan

Well, she's back and running in the election!

EOkkkmkX0AYXDeC.jpg:large

She's always been a fan of Treump and or leaflet shows that hasn't changed with her tag line,

She stands for
    - ignoring climate change
    - wants a more conservative catholic media in Ireland.
    - Is against sex education
    - wants priority given to the catholic church
    - anti EU

Whats very odd is she's very much pro catholic values, but I'm not sure she understands what they are because they certainly aren't what she does in her spare time as a burlesque dancer
    Feeling very comfortable & liberated in her own skin, she is no stranger to nipple tassels, fishnet tights and frilly knickers under the stage name, 'Molly Munroe', she transforms herself into a seductive tease . . .

http://www.sarahlouisemulligan.com/burlesque.html

She's also played a lap dancer as an extra on Love/Hate.

Catholic values my arse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Cabaal wrote: »
    I think we all remember this train wreck of an interview with a pro lifer called Sarah Louise Mulligan

Well, she's back and running in the election!

EOkkkmkX0AYXDeC.jpg:large

She's always been a fan of Treump and or leaflet shows that hasn't changed with her tag line,

She stands for
    - ignoring climate change
    - wants a more conservative catholic media in Ireland.
    - Is against sex education
    - wants priority given to the catholic church
    - anti EU

Whats very odd is she's very much pro catholic values, but I'm not sure she understands what they are because they certainly aren't what she does in her spare time as a burlesque dancer

http://www.sarahlouisemulligan.com/burlesque.html

She's also played a lap dancer as an extra on Love/Hate.

Catholic values my arse.....

SOOOOOOO many things she is against that are anti christian, she seems to be very anti immigrant, even those from hyper catholic countries?

In the catholicism I grew up in, at the very least the PP would have been asked to have a word about the length of that dress and could well have been on a list for that most joyful bastion of then catholicism, the maggies!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    SOOOOOOO many things she is against that are anti christian, she seems to be very anti immigrant, even those from hyper catholic countries?

In the catholicism I grew up in, at the very least the PP would have been asked to have a word about the length of that dress and could well have been on a list for that most joyful bastion of then catholicism, the maggies!

A fecking bandwagon case looking to make a few quid off idiots, much like John McGuirk, Justin Barrett, Gemma O'Doherty etc.

BTW, Justin Barrett is involved in the election as the National Party is running candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

BTW, Justin Barrett is involved in the election as the National Party is running candidates.

Just saw their party political broadcast and... let's just say they are not looking to appeal to anyone who is not already a firm supporter of their views

Yep few of their shills in the election threads, along with a few regular posters and suddenly active zombie accounts, whose posts are lets say are just a level over pond scum most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

B0jangles wrote: »
    Just saw their party political broadcast and... let's just say they are not looking to appeal to anyone who is not already a firm supporter of their views

That eejit David Quinn wrote an editorial in Sunday's Times, where he basically said, "Hey, you parties need to court the anti-abortion vote because...well, because I think they're important."

Is he a journalist? Lists a sunday times e-mail address, but isn't he just another I Own Her shill?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Igotadose wrote: »
    That eejit David Quinn wrote an editorial in Sunday's Times, where he basically said, "Hey, you parties need to court the anti-abortion vote because...well, because I think they're important."

Is he a journalist? Lists a sunday times e-mail address, but isn't he just another I Own Her shill?

not just another I Own Her shill, the head I Own Her shill

He's a regular contributor of theirs if memory serves me correctly

He used to be editor of the Irish Catholic and used to be the religious and social affairs correspondent for the independent before getting into Iona.

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    He's a regular contributor of theirs if memory serves me correctly

He used to be editor of the Irish Catholic and used to be the religious and social affairs correspondent for the independent before getting into Iona.

No indication of his employment in his byline. Typical disingenuity from the Amen chorus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Pro life adds in the local papers this week, the cute pink baby graphic and the usual guff.
    I cant attach a link, but if its in two of the papers I've been shown so far, I would expect its in lots.

* They've not gone away as hoped. Us evangelical money must be good to keep hammering on and on about it.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://www.thejournal.ie/protests-exclusion-zones-abortion-ireland-4956281-Jan2020/

With overwhelming public support for such 'exclusion zones' I'd say whatever government gets in after the election would be minded to bring in these laws fairly promptly
    Not an issue a new FF government would be keen to see near the top of its in-tray, you would think. But maybe they will see it as an opportunity to demonstrate their newfound pro-choice credentials. Wouldn't be surprised if Stephen Donnelly made a commitment ahead of the election...

FG hopeful Deirdre Duffy has spotted a stick for beating FF in their failure to offer such a commitment:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/varadkar-accused-of-nasty-politics-but-he-brands-ff-very-disrespectful-38924433.html
    Last night Fine Gael candidate Deirdre Duffy waded into the debate. She said her party will prioritise legislating for 'safe access zones' so women can access healthcare and abortion services without impediment.

Ms Duffy expressed extreme concern at the prospect of a Fianna Fáil government as its manifesto doesn't mention 'safe access zones'. The Dublin Central candidate said: "When it comes to women's healthcare and access to abortion services, Fianna Fáil is the party of no."

FF had clearly been hoping to avoid any mention of the whole (divisive for them) issue but FG seems to think there's a bit of political hay to be made from it...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭A_Lost_Man

abortion is necessary because someday the world is going to die due to over population. In past religious leaders ban abortion because of less population and due to non availability of psy. But know there is psy everwhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A_Lost_Man wrote: »
    abortion is necessary because someday the world is going to die due to over population. In past religious leaders ban abortion because of less population and due to non availability of psy. But know there is psy everwhere.

What?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not sure what you're referring to by 'psy' there. Over population is addressed by family planning, where abortion forms the smallest part of this in cases of contraception failure.

smacl wrote: »
    Not sure what you're referring to by 'psy' there. Over population is addressed by family planning, where abortion forms the smallest part of this in cases of contraception failure.

Seems it's 'troll day' here and in other fora. Just a few posts, this one's probably an anti-abortion nim trying to get his nim-buds to pile on.

Seems it's 'troll day' here and in other fora. Just a few posts, this one's probably an anti-abortion nim trying to get his nim-buds to pile on.

MOD
    A little refresher of the Forum Charter may be in order here.

Posters are not allowed to refer to each other, directly or indirectly, as "liars", "trolls", "bigots", "bullies", "soap-boxers" or any other terms which impute antisocial motives to other posters. In the normal run of discussion, posters should avoid disputed terms without agreeing on what precisely the terms might mean, and should definitions be agreed, these terms should be used sparingly and only to bring the discussion forward. An example of such a disputed term is "murder" in the context of abortion.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110069814&postcount=6

In short if you suspect a poster dwells under a bridge please use the report function and your friendly mods will keep an eye on things.

Thanking you.

A Korean singer is related to population control, how is this? Is it due to people losing all will to live after listening to their output?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭A_Lost_Man

smacl wrote: »
    Actually i was referring to "pussy". My point was in past due to non availibility of females for marriages (fvking ceremonies) church needed to increase their strength and they ban abortion and there was a problem with church it thought the human population is very less and to increase their followers they ban abortion for their personal beneift but know it is not a issue.

Advertisement