Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

Anyone know if Subway westside has reopened or is it still closed? There were conflicting reports about it as some here were saying it closed for good and the sign on their door said renovations?

Will be in the area next week and would pop in for lunch if its open.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Anyone know if Subway westside has reopened or is it still closed? There were conflicting reports about it as some here were saying it closed for good and the sign on their door said renovations?

I'll be passing by on Tuesday morning and can check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

It's Closed for good, wont go into reasons here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Walked past yesterday and it was closed with chilling cabinets outside.

paconnors wrote: »

Could you pm me the reasons, understandable if you don’t want to though.

Found it strange that they closed so suddenly and indicated it was for renovations. Appeared to be a very busy subway too anytime I was there so couldn’t imagine it was lack of custom. That being said it’s rarely I’m that side of town so could have just been by chance it was busy when I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Could you pm me the reasons, understandable if you don’t want to though.

Found it strange that they closed so suddenly and indicated it was for renovations. Appeared to be a very busy subway too anytime I was there so couldn’t imagine it was lack of custom. That being said it’s rarely I’m that side of town so could have just been by chance it was busy when I was there.

It could get busy at lunchtime all right, but you'd rarely see anyone in there at any other time. I often wondered how they stayed in business as long as they did in that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

paconnors wrote: »

FFS :rolleyes:
    It's closed because it was doing poorly, but yeah, closed for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

According to their facebook page, Hound Dog Grooming are moving from their old place in town to knocknacarra.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Have Warehouse Gym opened their 3rd place yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

UCHG kitchen closed. Dead mouse, with a further 2 blind mice on trolleys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Just seen that Chopped in the Eyre square centre has finally been boarded off.
    It still had trays of canned ingredients sitting on the counter up to last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Bredabe wrote: »
    City Trib p 15 says that planning application for Lidl Knocknacarra, sent back for more info. This means it will be at least another month before permission could be granted.

Sent back again for further information

Source (eplan galway city)

file 19251

Scanned files/documents

I'd like to see Lidl open, but they must be getting pissed at the moment with trying it get it across the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

topcat77 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Lidl open, but they must be getting pissed at the moment with trying it get it across the line.
    Drop Lidl an email and tell them you/neighbours want their presence.
    They have used Knocknacarra as an example of how VI nationwide are thwarting their expansion plans - linked it somewhere in-thread

They'll keep trying.

When you see how busy Aldi gets on a Friday & Saturday you can understand why they're still at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

They'll keep trying.

When you see how busy Aldi gets on a Friday & Saturday you can understand why they're still at it.

This is my hope and thinking as well, they have been in business in europe for at least a decade, I'm sure they have this kind of tactic and worse many time already.

It crazy stuff as most larger town's I've travelled through have, lidl/aldi/tesco/dunnes in, some even across the road from each other. But somehow west galway has a bigger problem with it!?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sent back again for further information

Source (eplan galway city)

file 19251

Scanned files/documents

Not at all surprised.
    The ain't really great plans. Not willing to put cafe at ground floor?
    If more thought was put into it from the start.
    It would be already over the line by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Not in recent weeks, though. The latter two were before Christmas.

so a few weeks ago then

Not at all surprised.
    The ain't really great plans. Not willing to put cafe at ground floor?
    If more thought was put into it from the start.
    It would be already over the line by now.

they're asking them to move the building further away from the boundary and to have regards for the emerging Galway Transport strategy along the western distributor road.

Bus lanes!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I always used to go Sunday around noon. Nightmare. Worst part of my week.

Switched to Monday morning and it's sooo much better. Still surprisingly busy but not rammed like the weekends. On weekends parking can be such a nightmare with idiots reversing in (how will you load your groceries?) and cars waiting to fight for a spot it was just easier to go to Aldi Westside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Abrakebabra has opened within Londis opposite UHG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Not sure if already posted but DV8 clothing store opening in the Eyre square centre this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Jammyd wrote: »
    Not sure if already posted but DV8 clothing store opening in the Eyre square centre this Friday.

Is that in the old Mothercare unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Is that in the old Mothercare unit?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I always used to go Sunday around noon. Nightmare. Worst part of my week.

Switched to Monday morning and it's sooo much better. Still surprisingly busy but not rammed like the weekends. On weekends parking can be such a nightmare with idiots reversing in (how will you load your groceries?) and cars waiting to fight for a spot it was just easier to go to Aldi Westside.

Reversing in is correct. There’s more mayhem caused by people reversing out.

“For both safety and efficiency purposes, the experts say it's usually best to back into a parking space. That's because having a wide field of vision is more important when you're pulling out of a parking space than it is when you are pulling in.”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Worn Out wrote: »
    Reversing in is correct. There’s more mayhem caused by people reversing out.

“For both safety and efficiency purposes, the experts say it's usually best to back into a parking space. That's because having a wide field of vision is more important when you're pulling out of a parking space than it is when you are pulling in.”

Sure.

And when you bring the trolley-load of groceries back to the car, where you you secure the trolley while you carry the groceries around the to boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Sure.

And when you bring the trolley-load of groceries back to the car, where you you secure the trolley while you carry the groceries around the to boot?

Never been a problem.
    And it’s better than reversing out blind into a busy car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic folks please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Monaghans have opened there 3rd shop
    edoeBZW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

m17 wrote: »
    Monaghans have opened there 3rd shop
    edoeBZW.jpg

Is that the one which used to be Tom Hogans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Is that the one which used to be Tom Hogans?

Yes

Advertisement