Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

You need to look in the window to see what's happening with places at the moment: quite a few are taking extended holidays or having renovations done in January.

Surely any business that was closed for renovations or holidays would put a sign up to that effect? Otherwise it looks like they are closed for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Surely any business that was closed for renovations or holidays would put a sign up to that effect? Otherwise it looks like they are closed for good.

Agreed.

I walked past O'Reillys today. Very odd. Definitely closed but not looking abandoned. But no signs at all. They're normally active more or less daily on Facebook, but suddenly nothing since 8 Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Galway Rally in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway Rally in doubt
    This thread is not for hearsay. Have you read anything you can share?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

biko wrote: »
    This thread is not for hearsay. Have you read anything you can share?

https://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/galway-motor-club-appeal-for-more-international-rally-entries/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Anyone know what's going in where Taaffes shop was? Passed it today but didn't see any signs just the shop front open and builders...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Anyone know what's going in where Taaffes shop was? Passed it today but didn't see any signs just the shop front open and builders...

That's the old H. Samuals building not Taffees, sorry though not sure what's going in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

That's the old H. Samuals building not Taffees, sorry though not sure what's going in there...

It’s a Vodafone store I think unless I’m getting mixed up with the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Redo91 wrote: »

Correct. I heard it's going to be a cashless store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Fu*king hell. Just when you though you couldn’t fit another phone shop on Shop St!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Well that's disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Fu*king hell. Just when you though you couldn’t fit another phone shop on Shop St!

I'd imagine the other vodafone shops will be consolidating into this larger space.

As more stuff as purchased on-line, we can expect to see retail space change / shrink, and more places become Argos-like, ie just a pickup counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It was discussed earlier, Vodafone are moving out of Williamsgate Street and Corbett Court into this store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Does anybody in Galway know if there are any plans in the pipeline on the former NIMMO's TOURIST HOSTEL near Monroe's on Dominick Street?

I gather it was closed down as a hostel in recent years however; it seems a wasted opportunity if Galway has a busy GALWAY 2020 European City of Culture designation from 1st of February until 31st January 2021.

I suspect Galway will be even busier than previous years especially in the high season and all accommodation types are bound to be in high demands at weekends & especially during months of June/July/August/September. If ever there was a time for more hostel beds surely this would be the year!!

Makes you wonder if NIMMO's Hostel building should do renovation on roof/ceilings, new windows, public areas including facilities, stairwells, fire safety procedures and re-open in time for busy tourist season?

No other hostel currently operates in this part of the city (i.e.) Galway's West End!

https://www.galwaytourism.ie/accommodation/hostels/nimmos-hostel/

It's still listed on the Galway Tourism website!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think that's a good move for Vodafone. The little shop in Eyre Square is far too small and the one in Corbett's Court is in a bad location. They also have a decent sized shop in the Headford Road shopping centre so it makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I think that's a good move for Vodafone. The little shop in Eyre Square is far too small and the one in Corbett's Court is in a bad location. They also have a decent sized shop in the Headford Road shopping centre so it makes sense to me.
    Agree, to be honest am surprised it has taken them this long to do it. Must have signed lock tight leases on current premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Galway Rally in doubt
    Looks like the got the numbers of Competitors now
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/corrib-oil-galway-international-rally-going-ahead-as-planned/
    Corrib Oil Galway International Rally going ahead as planned
    By Sport GBFM -21 January 2020

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Does anybody in Galway know if there are any plans in the pipeline on the former NIMMO's TOURIST HOSTEL near Monroe's on Dominick Street?

I gather it was closed down as a hostel in recent years however; it seems a wasted opportunity if Galway has a busy GALWAY 2020 European City of Culture designation from 1st of February until 31st January 2021.

I suspect Galway will be even busier than previous years especially in the high season and all accommodation types are bound to be in high demands at weekends & especially during months of June/July/August/September. If ever there was a time for more hostel beds surely this would be the year!!

Makes you wonder if NIMMO's Hostel building should do renovation on roof/ceilings, new windows, public areas including facilities, stairwells, fire safety procedures and re-open in time for busy tourist season?

No other hostel currently operates in this part of the city (i.e.) Galway's West End!

https://www.galwaytourism.ie/accommodation/hostels/nimmos-hostel/

It's still listed on the Galway Tourism website!

Any idea who owns it and will it go for for sale ? Plenty of interest if it did I would imagine.

youngrun wrote: »
    Any idea who owns it and will it go for for sale ? Plenty of interest if it did I would imagine.

I would not know the man by name but I reckon he must be in his 70's at this stage. I was told by someone in the know that the owner of that hostel originally ran a butcher's premises just around the corner from the entrance to NIMMO's on Dominick Street although; all you see now are boarded up shopfronts between there and Róisín Dubh. I think the owner still owned the former butchers now vacant premises and vacant hostel. I gather the owner had wanted the next generation of the family to make a proper go of the hostel and while they did invest in a lot of new bedding, some flooring, refurbished the bathrooms/kitchen/dining area but there was still more work required to bring the entire business and premises up to modern spec.

I do not know if the building will go for sale anytime soon as it will still require major investment I would imagine. Maybe a great investment opportunity for the Róisín Dubh nearby even if they were to own & manage it as a hostel & café to compliment their existing offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I think that butchers used to be more visible a few years ago didn't it? Think I'm remembering that right but not sure how far back you need to go.

• Advertisement

Stevolende wrote: »
    I think that butchers used to be more visible a few years ago didn't it? Think I'm remembering that right but not sure how far back you need to go.

Yes, sounds about right - it used to be an old-fashioned butchers with window glass forming much of the shop frontage on Dominick Street and I think windows were also visible around the corner. At night when it got dark and the shop closed it looked abandoned inside as the meat produce was probably moved into storage overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Yes, sounds about right - it used to be an old-fashioned butchers with window glass forming much of the shop frontage on Dominick Street and I think windows were also visible around the corner. At night when it got dark and the shop closed it looked abandoned inside as the meat produce was probably moved into storage overnight.

Yes, beside it was a drapery shop similarly closed up / abandoned. Fronts of both were boarded up and painted over to improve the look of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

any idea when?
    Like i can picture having seen them but can't remember exactly when.
    May have even seen the butchers open but can't place when things were what

westgolf wrote: »
    Yes, beside it was a drapery shop similarly closed up / abandoned. Fronts of both were boarded up and painted over to improve the look of the street.

I have no idea if the same owner's family ever had any involvement in the old drapery store which must have been adjoining the old Butcher's unit. The former "NIMMO's Hostel" had previously been called "ARCHVIEW Hostel" back in 90's early 2000's. I think the location could still work as a hostel as it is situated in a very unique location in comparison to all of the other city centre hostels.

If you had the right investment in the building including facilities, new management & operations team and creative marketing/PR this could fulfill a gap in the market especially in the busy May to October period and weekends!

Stevolende wrote: »
    any idea when?
    Like i can picture having seen them but can't remember exactly when.
    May have even seen the butchers open but can't place when things were what

I reckon the butchers was still trading into the late 90's possibly early-mid 2000's although; the drapery may have closed prior to this period as I've no memory of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I reckon the butchers was still trading into the late 90's possibly early-mid 2000's although; the drapery may have closed prior to this period as I've no memory of it.

It was called Ideal Drapery

50db0dcf05.jpeg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Butcher's was called Talbot's I believe.

Apparently Mickey Talbot's butcher shop and he produced the best sausages ever having learned his trade at HAFNER's in Dublin!

https://www.facebook.com/galway.memories/photos/-galway-memories-the-bank-of-ireland-dominick-street-across-from-monroes-tavern-/581086505286789/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Correct. (M. Talbot)

123b6614d8.jpeg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

That's fantastic
    Make a great addition to old Galway thread

Now can get back on topic after 13+ posts?
    Places that are currently going to open or just closed.

Advertisement