Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Oasis are closing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

testtech05 wrote: »
    Seems to be a new shop front beside dominos in westside where I think subway used to be. Captain something or other is the name over the door. Couldn't see clearly as was taking quite heavy when I was passing...

The Captain's Cabin - Traditional Fish & Chips

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bit of trouble for Lidl in Westside due to the take off and landings of Emergency Helicopters, when they come over that area there is a big down draft so I guess if there was a lidl there with customers outside when one is landing it may cause a problem.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/delay-on-plans-for-westside-lidl-as-concerns-raised-over-effect-on-uhg-helipad/

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Oasis are closing

Sounds like Edward Square is emptying out fast - Miss Selfridges gone, Next and
    Cara Pharmacy closing and now Oasis .. doesn't look good for that side of town... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Jammyd wrote: »
    Sounds like Edward Square is emptying out fast - Miss Selfridges gone, Next and
    Cara Pharmacy closing and now Oasis .. doesn't look good for that side of town... :(

Why would that be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Bit of trouble for Lidl in Westside due to the take off and landings of Emergency Helicopters, when they come over that area there is a big down draft so I guess if there was a lidl there with customers outside when one is landing it may cause a problem.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/delay-on-plans-for-westside-lidl-as-concerns-raised-over-effect-on-uhg-helipad/

The article seems to suggest possible concerns over the flight operations due to the construction, rather than effects on the development due to the flight operations.

Why would that be

My personal opinion is that particular shopping centre is highly exposed to UK multiples which are set up there and they are unfortunately those that are scaling down on bricks and mortar operations due to the pressure of online sales. Hopefully they can be replaced quickly so we dont end up with a street full of to-let signs (not to mention the staff who will now find themselves out of a job)

I won't hold out hope of anything decent replacing them, maybe we will get another Elverys sport or Carraig donn, god knows the city needs more of these fine retailers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Edward Square already has an Elverys

flazio wrote: »

Which is up to let, so will probably be gone soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Why would that be

Rent too high??

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »

I was being sarcastic given we have so many but there are more and more sports shops opening or planning to open :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Which is up to let, so will probably be gone soon!

It's had that sign there for almost a year now, strange situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

We already have enough shopping centers & shops in Westside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Psychlops wrote: »
    We already have enough shopping centers & shops in Westside.

Says you.

We could use a Penny's in Knocknacarra or Westside. I still believe the Westside Enterprise park could be better used / combined with Dunnes to create a decent shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We could use a Penny's in Knocknacarra or Westside. I still believe the Westside Enterprise park could be better used / combined with Dunnes to create a decent shopping centre.
    Agree. That strip on the Headford Road could be replicated on SQR
    Handy for pedestrians, cyclists, bus users, heavy student population, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I really miss having a tesco/lidl/pennies/boots/argos on the westside of the bridge.
    For various reasons I'm tied to these brands and sometimes have to pay for delivery or miss out because getting to headford road isn't viable with the lack of transport options 24/7.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Says you.

Isn’t the enterprise park more of an industrial estate with mostly non-retail type businesses (offices etc)? Though maybe I’m wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yes, you're right. I'm thinking big picture. Since tesco was denied lets raze the enterprise park and current shopping centre to the ground. Then from the ground up build a decent shopping centre with parking this side of the city. Maybe it would bring enough prosperity to raze the Westside Business Centre next. Would bring up the whole area and benefit all of west galway.

Of course, there's plenty of undeveloped land for a phase 3 & 4 out in Knocknacarra which works and might be more straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

....lets raze the enterprise park and .... raze the Westside Business Centre next .....

Of course, there's plenty of undeveloped land for a phase 3 & 4 out in Knocknacarra which works and might be more straightforward.

Why, exactly, would you want to raze those places?

Especially given your next paragraph, which explains that there's plenty of space west of the river in a not-so-deprived neighbourhood which doesn't need an enterprise / business centre the way Westside did / does.

Yes, you're right. I'm thinking big picture. Since tesco was denied lets raze the enterprise park and current shopping centre to the ground. Then from the ground up build a decent shopping centre with parking this side of the city. Maybe it would bring enough prosperity to raze the Westside Business Centre next. Would bring up the whole area and benefit all of west galway.

Presumably there are lots of people who have established business and offices there so I can’t see why their places should be razed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 AHOKD

Harvey Norman's rent is reported to be 900k a year. Would it not be more cost effective for them to build their own shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

AHOKD wrote: »
    Harvey Norman's rent is reported to be 900k a year. Would it not be more cost effective for them to build their own shops?

Not necessarily. They are a retailer, not a property management company. I did business studies in college and I can't explain why exactly but it makes the accounting easier if the building is an expense rather than an asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guys, I got another report for this thread.

The thread is only about opening and closing businesses. Try to stay on topic please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Oasis are closing

I always preferred blur

I always preferred blur

Careful the snitches will be reporting you!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Careful the snitches will be reporting you!

Stitches get stitches.

The OP says "Chat is fine but keep it on topic.".

Stitches get stitches.

The OP says "Chat is fine but keep it on topic.".

No wonder everywhere is closing with all the rats around

Back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

biko wrote: »
    Guys, I got another report for this thread.

The thread is only about opening and closing businesses. Try to stay on topic please.

Are we covering temporary (COVID-19) related closures in this thread, we have a lot of them.

• Advertisement

Please see the separate thread for COVID19, it has (temp) closures

Advertisement