Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Here's a map showing the route of the Outer Relief Road from the main road at the Willows or K Circle (Topaz) back towards the Lagore road.

The other section of road shown on the map, from the Willows to the M3 junction is only a proposed route at this stage.

I see another new planning application gone online - anyone know where this site is?

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/FS19039/0

Development Description: the construction of a two storey residential development comprising three number single storey apartments at ground floor level & first floor level and two number two storey apartments

Development Address: Dunshaughlin Apartments, Lagore Road, Dunshaughlin, Co Meath

This application is very odd, and it looks intentionally vague, anyone know what the application number means ie FS19039, I haven't seen a "FS" number before, I've only seen new applications with DA or RA numbers.

I see the planning application for the 20 new houses in Greenane at the back of Lidl has been taken off hold, with a decision date of 01/05/2019

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA180862/0

Development Description: a) The construction of 20 dwellings to include 1 no. 4 bed 2 storey detached house; 10 no. 4 bed 2 storey semidetached houses; and 9 no. 3 bed 2 storey terraced houses. b) New vehicular road access from Greenane Rd. c) All associated drainage services, boundary wall treatment, site works and landscaped open spaces. Significant further information/revised plans submitted on this application

Development Address: West Of The Main Street & Accessed Off Greenane Road, Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath

I see a planning application form posted up on the empty unit next to Costa, They are looking to change the use of the unit from retail to a dental surgery.

Is it just me, or has the water pressure around the village gone very weak in the last 24 hours? I don't see any mention of it on the Meath County Council website or the twitter account, however I do see they were doing maintenance on the website on Saturday last.

Maybe it's connected, Maybe the "Russians" hacked the site and turned off the water to Dunshaughlin!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭maik3n

GeneHunt wrote: »
    Is it just me, or has the water pressure around the village gone very weak in the last 24 hours? I don't see any mention of it on the Meath County Council website or the twitter account, however I do see they were doing maintenance on the website on Saturday last.

Maybe it's connected, Maybe the "Russians" hacked the site and turned off the water to Dunshaughlin!!! :D:D
    Been flagged on facebook by a few people.
    Apparently there is a major leak in the area and the pressure has been reduced to conserve water while the matter is being investigated. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Shocking since Saturday for me....

maik3n wrote: »
    Been flagged on facebook by a few people.
    Apparently there is a major leak in the area and the pressure has been reduced to conserve water while the matter is being investigated. :o

I'm not on Facebook, so never thought of looking at the Dunshaughlin Facebook page

Thanks again for the update.

Borderfox wrote: »
    The pedestrian lights are virtually unusable, priority given to cars at all times and waiting times useful if you sprint across. The priority should be back to pedestrians, I have seen some of the driving through the village and people travel at ridiculous speeds given its a built up area.

I was talking to Gerry O'Connor about the traffic on the Drumree road out of the village and for a road with 2 schools and a community centre and a GAA club the speeds of traffic are way above what is acceptable.

Just noticed a post on Gerry O'Connor Facebook page, looks like may have got speed ramps for the Drumree road. See below
    I received this welcome news regarding tackling the speeding issue on the Drumree Road.

Date: 11 April 2019 at 19:37:07 IST
    To: "Cllr Gerry O'Connor (MCC Ratoath MD" <gerry.oconnor@members.meathcoco.ie<mailto:gerry.oconnor@members.meathcoco.ie>>
    Subject: Traffic Calming, Drumree Road

Dear Cllr O'Connor

Further to our meeting on 2nd April 2019 regarding speeding on the Drumree Road in Dunshaughlin, I confirm that the transportation section will bring forward a formal proposal to install speed ramps at three locations along the road for construction this year. I will contact you when details are finalised. Please contact me if you require any further information

Looking forward to their installation later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

ciaran76 wrote: »
    They will re-submit.

And it's been approved for 900 more house in The Willows!
    Must be no bats out that way !

• Advertisement

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/04/26/4173192-dunshaughlin-town-extension-of-over-900-units-gets-goahead/

From Meath Chronicle
    Dunshaughlin town extension of over 900 units gets go-ahead
    GEM Group's application for a Strategic Housing Development (SHD) at Dunshaughlin has been approved by An Bord Pleanála.

The development will be located on a 28.3 hectare site at lands to the north of the R147 / Dublin Road in the eastern part of Dunshaughlin. It will be built on residential zoned lands and is proposed as a planned extension of the town through a ten-year planning permission. Located south of Kellett’s Grove and Coldrick’s Pass, to the east of Dunshaughlin Business Park, the site is adjacent to the residential development at The Willows, which is currently under construction.

No third-party objections were raised in response to the planning application, and the site will be developed and built by GEM Group, which has over four decades of building experience in Ireland. A development plan will now be put in place for the site, with work commencing at the end of this year, and the first homes to be delivered in autumn 2020. This will be a follow on to the 222 housing units at The Willows scheme in Dunshaughlin which is currently being developed by Gem Group over the period 2017-2019.

The development comprises 913 residential units, consisting of 505 houses, 186 duplex units and 222 apartments on the site. 90 of the homes will be allocated for social housing requirements. It will also feature neighbourhood centre facilities including a childcare centre, two retail units and a primary healthcare unit/gym. The approved application includes significant open space areas, such as playgrounds, as well as pedestrian and cycling infrastructure, making it an ideal location for first-time buyers and families. The development will also deliver a substantial section of the planned Dunshaughlin Outer Relief Road.

The Department of Education has recently agreed to acquire adjoining lands from GEM Group for a new educational campus and are shortly expected to apply for planning permission for a new primary school on the site, while new playing pitches will be provided for Dunshaughlin Youths Soccer Club, in collaboration with Meath County Council, on lands to the east of the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 abrushka

This is crazy density for Dunshaughlin, there will be 2,500 plus people living on this site. Along with the other developments under construction currently in the village, the population will easily double in the next few years. There is nowhere near sufficient infrastructure to cope with this level of growth, so it will be a typical Irish case of let the developers build what they want, make enormous profits in the process, and leave residents with a mess of traffic congestion, inadequate amenities (which leads to crime) and lack of school places.

I don't buy the councilors view that this will help get a rail extension to the village. With Ireland's track record of delivering infrastructure projects, this will be easily 15+ years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Branner1

abrushka wrote: »
    This is crazy density for Dunshaughlin, there will be 2,500 plus people living on this site. Along with the other developments under construction currently in the village, the population will easily double in the next few years. There is nowhere near sufficient infrastructure to cope with this level of growth, so it will be a typical Irish case of let the developers build what they want, make enormous profits in the process, and leave residents with a mess of traffic congestion, inadequate amenities (which leads to crime) and lack of school places.

I don't buy the councilors view that this will help get a rail extension to the village. With Ireland's track record of delivering infrastructure projects, this will be easily 15+ years away.

I agree 100% with abrushka. Of course there is a need for housing but there has to be a limit to how much is squeezed into one village.
    I might have missed it but was there any consultation with the people already living here? Surely such a large scale development should be discussed with the people that are going to have to deal with the consequences of 1000’s of people moving into the area. I’m sure the councillors of the local area were aware of it for a long time.
    You can bet such a development would never be built near the developers or the decision makers in Bord Pleanala!
    I wonder is social housing being included in Fairfields, Cnoc Tiarnach, Dun Rioga etc or did the developers of these pay the charge to keep them all private housing..?
    Traffic is going to be insane when this and the massive development at Dunboyne is finished.
    Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

Agreed with both points. I think the best example of bad planning and 'put em anywhere' attitude is for the handful of houses squeezed in at the back of the Euro store, the smell coming out the back of the take away into their gardens....

Also, with a cycle and walkway planned to go from the back of the new development at The willows through Maelduin into town as a short cut; if there's 900+ houses, then this is a short cut for possibly 2,000+ people.I really think residents would take serious issue with a nice quiet housing estate being ear marked as a funnel into town for another estate.

Funny enough, we aren't too long in Dunshaughlin Village and we're already talking of moving out in five or so years if it goes the way it's looking like it's going to go.

It need more restaurants, bars, shops, gym, cafes, better roads, better footpaths....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

That's what you have to ask the local election candidates about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GerFitz19

Hi does anyone know if there is a bus going from Dunshaughlin to Slane Castle for the Metallica gig? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

So we're stuck with the poster pollution for the next few weeks. I make a conscious effort not to look at the miscellaneous smiling mugs. But here in Dunshaughlin there are a couple of them that have caught my attention.

One candidate has adopted a Mona Lisa pose on her poster. She has the hands folded about right but not the enigmatic smile...she looks TOO happy...
    And we have an Ole Gunnar Solskjaer look-alike ...ok, a bit older but still...

In any event I don't expect many people will be be positively influenced by any poster when deciding who to vote for...why do the candidates bother?

Just an update on the speed ramps on the Drumree Road, I got a note titled "Drumree Road Update" in my letter box this evening from Clr. Gerry O'Connor (Looking for a Vote).
    Public Lighting
    The Drumree Road (complete length) will be upgraded to LED lighting this year as part of the recently agreed Capital Plan.

Speed Ramps
    There will be three speed ramps installed on the road to stop the speeding, and dangerous driving which is ocurring and also to redirect HGV'S, Buses and M3 traffic towards the Water tower roundabout on the R147 as the preferred access to M3.

Footpaths
    The recently installed foot path from the College to the GAA will be extended to the way to the New CastleThorn housing development later this year. Work will be completed by November.

Just seen on the Meath Chronicle that Rathbeggan Lakes is to close. This issue with rising insurance costs needs to be addressed, as more activity centres (mainly children's activity centres) close. Lolo Town in Navan closed earlier this year and last I heard Huckleberry's Den in Navan is also to close. It's very sad to see these businesses which are viable close.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

I noticed Dragon Chinese was issued a closure order in April as they had no hot running water

https://www.joe.ie/fitness-health/six-closure-orders-ireland-668175

Not a good year for takeaways in Dunshaughlin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Just seen on the Meath Chronicle that Rathbeggan Lakes is to close. This issue with rising insurance costs needs to be addressed, as more activity centres (mainly children's activity centres) close. Lolo Town in Navan closed earlier this year and last I heard Huckleberry's Den in Navan is also to close. It's very sad to see these businesses which are viable close.

Insurance is rising because of increasing levels of claims (also some gouging by the insurance companies) if anything happens to a child now the first concern is to sue

tara83 wrote: »
    I noticed Dragon Chinese was issued a closure order in April as they had no hot running water

Always looks a bit ropey that place...Golden Phoenix SEEMS better but who knows...unless you inspect the kitchen yourself before collecting your take-away, well, you just have to go on trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

Honestly i'm not surprised re DRagon chinese...we got takeaway once a few months back, I went for the chicken curry and I'm not sure what the meat was, but it wasn't chicken, pretty sure not pork either. Absolutely disgusting. No hot water.....seriously!!!

Golden Phoenix is really good in fairness. around a long time and they do a good trade!

Pity about Rathbeggan lakes, they were expanding as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Same here . Got food in Dragon once haven't been back.
    I seen they painted etc but I will stick to the Golden Phoenix if I need chinese food.

Here's a link to RTE's Sean O'Rourke's show today coveringthe story of Rathbeggan Lakes closing, the story is also carried on the Irish Examiner & the Irish Independent too.

I have also found another link to RTE's Sean O'Rourke's show (hosted by Miriam O'Callaghan on the day) from the 30th April 2019 relating to this same issue, but this time it's Adventure Ireland's insurance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tara83 wrote: »

they still open, saw them open today.

Gonzo wrote: »
    they still open, saw them open today.

Dragon Chinese take away, Main Street, Dunshaughlin, Meath (Order served on 16 April, order lifted on 17 April)

They opened the following day, once they fixed the issue with hot water etc.

After a gap in time, I recently had occasion to re-visit the library in Dunshaughlin and I was reminded of the marvellous facility we have right here in the town. The ecclesiastical nature of the building itself adds to the air of calmness and tranquility there. So now I have made a resolution to be a more frequent visitor.
    The thing that surprises me, though, is how few visitors there seems to be no matter what time of day it is. Hopefully, this would not be a factor in any future consideration given to closing the library.
    So just throwing it out there, support your local library!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

CUCINA wrote: »
    After a gap in time, I recently had occasion to re-visit the library in Dunshaughlin and I was reminded of the marvellous facility we have right here in the town. The ecclesiastical nature of the building itself adds to the air of calmness and tranquility there. So now I have made a resolution to be a more frequent visitor.
    The thing that surprises me, though, is how few visitors there seems to be no matter what time of day it is. Hopefully, this would not be a factor in any future consideration given to closing the library.
    So just throwing it out there, support your local library!

I keep meaning to call down with my toddler as she loves books. Must try get down this week or next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

GerFitz19 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if there is a bus going from Dunshaughlin to Slane Castle for the Metallica gig? Thanks

I'm in the same boat too. 4 of us yet to organise anything. Thinking of heading over to Ashbourne and going from there, it's straight up the road really :)

Advertisement