Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My brand new remote arrived a week or two ago and has been grand.

Until this morning.

Already disconnected Itself twice this morning, and the shield couldn't find it to reconnect (had to take the battery tray out)

Bit frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Bit of the odd buffering or pausing playing stuff on kodi after the update . And that's not streaming content , just regular media files . They really are making a balls of these updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Anyone have TG4 player app running successfully on shield? Can’t seem to get it to run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My controller is constantly at critically low battery. It was fully charged going to bed last night when I knocked it off. Now I went to turn it on again and took a few goes for the controller to wake up and straight away critically low battery again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yay! Word is the Plex/Emby direct play stuttering bug will be fixed in the next Nvidia firmware update. This has been a real pain for me. Was even considering downgrading to 7.2.1 and blocking updates, which I was dreading as it would mean a lot of re-setting up.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66681-nvidia-shield-tv-playback-will-pause-constantly/?p=722572

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Apparently Nvidia are working on a new remote and new controller for the Shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I've resorted to using the app on my phone because my controller goes to sleep randomly and will not wake - it then queues commands and goes haywire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Trusted Reviews are taking it that, given Nvidia are working on a new Remote and Controller, that a new Shield is also on the horizon
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-new-shield-tv-2019-3686727

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Is there any way of rolling back to an earlier version of Netflix on the shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gerrybbadd wrote:
    Trusted Reviews are taking it that, given Nvidia are working on a new Remote and Controller, that a new Shield is also on the horizon

Well the models go 2015, 2017.......so it's coming soon.
    I don't think I'll upgrade mine soon even if it's not as reliable as I wish it was. The remote taking a minute or so to work after I turn it on, the Wi-Fi cuts out a bit & other issues happen me a little too much for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

funnyname wrote: »
    Is there any way of rolling back to an earlier version of Netflix on the shield?

I think you can uninstall and it will resort to the factory version that came on the Shield.
    Have you an issue with it ?

I think you can uninstall and it will resort to the factory version that came on the Shield.
    Have you an issue with it ?

Since I updated it, it no longer accepts the DNS proxy I use on my router. I'm ok with it on my humax box, my laptop and Android phone.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Well the models go 2015, 2017.......so it's coming soon.

I'm not so sure about that, I read before they have an agreement with Nintendo not to release anything new for a certain period. The Nintendo switch is the same hardware. It'll most likely be a rehash, maybe with new peripherals

Yeah but it used to work ok the shield before I applied the latest update to the Netflix app.

At least I have a work around.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    This is just Netflix catching on that you are using a DNS proxy / Smart DNS - no?

I'm using the latest Netflix on the shield with custom DNS no problem. Try enabling the custom DNS at device level. I wouldn't trust those DNS services with all your traffic :eek:

Also anyone know how to get the remote friendly version of All4 that's on the Amazon fire stick onto the shield.

I have the fire stick and I made a back up of the All4 app however it's only a few hundred kb in size and when I tried to install it on the shield it did nothing.

I tried this method also with the my5 app (sensible size APK file) and it crashes telling me I need the Amazon app store added to the shield as well, I'll try that tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I tried this method also with the my5 app (sensible size APK file) and it crashes telling me I need the Amazon app store added to the shield as well, I'll try that tomorrow night.

I installed the android tv my5 app from the apk listed here https://old.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/b0x66k/my5_finally_supports_android_tv_uk_streaming_app/ and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Sparko

My controller is constantly at critically low battery. It was fully charged going to bed last night when I knocked it off. Now I went to turn it on again and took a few goes for the controller to wake up and straight away critically low battery again.

Mine seems to be doing this lately, also the right analogue stick input seems to be drifting upwards a good bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sparko wrote: »
    Mine seems to be doing this lately, also the right analogue stick input seems to be drifting upwards a good bit.

Havnt noticed any issue with my analogue stick, just the battery drain in the last while.

I installed the android tv my5 app from the apk listed here https://old.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/b0x66k/my5_finally_supports_android_tv_uk_streaming_app/ and it works perfectly.

Is that the remote friendly version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Is that the remote friendly version?

Yes, it's actually much more user friendly and stable than the one on the firestick too

(disclaimer: haven't used the firestick one since october so that may have been updated to be lke this since then but i don't know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Is it just me or has TuneIn been removed from the latest update? I keep getting a message it's unavailable when I ask the Google assistant to play a radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi everyone.When I launch a game that you have to own on steam I was able to go into the steam library and play other games I owned on steam that were not on gforce.Until today,An error msg comes up that game is not on gforce but I can download everytime I want to play.So when I click ok and go to download game the same error message comes up.Has anyone any ideas?

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.When I launch a game that you have to own on steam I was able to go into the steam library and play other games I owned on steam that were not on gforce.Until today,An error msg comes up that game is not on gforce but I can download everytime I want to play.So when I click ok and go to download game the same error message comes up.Has anyone any ideas?

Yeah there's been lots of reports of them clamping down on it overloading the servers with games that are not officially supported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Anyone looking to buy a shield. Amazon have 20% off in warehouse deals

Currently 7 'used very good' consoles available working out around €156 after discount using a revolut card

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B075TBK232/ref=sr_1_2_olp?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1554714377&rnid=8873236031&s=warehouse-deals&sr=1-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

is there anyone using Express VPN on their Shield? I've been using it for over a year, with no issues, but in the past few weeks I noticed when it's on (usually set to East London for the iPlayer) it seems to cause lots of buffering issues across many apps, e.g. StbEmu, Plex, iPlayer. When I turn it off, I don't get any problems. I thought it was to do with the speeds, but when I ran Speedtest on it using East London, I was getting 15 ping, 45mbps download speeds.

I'm just not sure if this is VPN issue or router issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

Not sure if it's ok to post this here or not, but is anyone having issues with playing 4K content on their Shield since the update to Leia on Kodi? It used to work perfectly but since the upgrade everything just constantly buffers. Anyone else having any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

BandMember wrote: »
    Not sure if it's ok to post this here or not, but is anyone having issues with playing 4K content on their Shield since the update to Leia on Kodi? It used to work perfectly but since the upgrade everything just constantly buffers. Anyone else having any problems?

I've had issues with 1080p content - just a intermittent stutter but enough to be annoying. Only seems to happen on liveTV channels streamed from my TV Tuner upstairs. 1080p online content is fine so suspect its the high frame rate that's the issue. For now I just downgraded back to Kodi 17.6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

I've had issues with 1080p content - just a intermittent stutter but enough to be annoying. Only seems to happen on liveTV channels streamed from my TV Tuner upstairs. 1080p online content is fine so suspect its the high frame rate that's the issue. For now I just downgraded back to Kodi 17.6.

Yeah, I suspect it's the high frame rate too so was wondering if there is some setting(s) that can be adjusted in order to make it run smoother? Having zero issues with any other content at 1080p or less in either live or recorded format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

only issue I have had since the update ( it fixed loads of previous ones )

Is this poxy google recommended apps bar that keeps reappearing along the bottom row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have the STB Pro version on the Shield and everything working ok except for the sound it seems very low. I tried internal player and then Mx Player but still low.

I have TV hooked up to a receiver and surround sound and sub woofer. Shield connected to AVR via HDMI and then TV connected from ARC to AVR

Are there any specific settings that I need to change to increase the volume as when I have it on full blast its still very low.

Any settings I should change to increase the volume. Trying to get the settings to try it another app just to see if its Stb itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I have the STB Pro version on the Shield and everything working ok except for the sound it seems very low. I tried internal player and then Mx Player but still low.

I have TV hooked up to a receiver and surround sound and sub woofer. Shield connected to AVR via HDMI and then TV connected from ARC to AVR

Are there any specific settings that I need to change to increase the volume as when I have it on full blast its still very low.

Any settings I should change to increase the volume. Trying to get the settings to try it another app just to see if its Stb itself?

had this issue on my other shield when testing out a soundbar. Turn on/off CEC audio I think in the Shield menu. This fixed it.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    stb emu pro working fine for me, i have the volume slider disabled on the remote because the volume would drop when changing channels

This issue is not exclusive to the Shield. I have the same issue on a Mibox. It's an easy fix, just disable volume control. This setting is not an option on the Mibox though

vpn throttles speed more so than a smart dns and if its for the iplayer then it is worth changing to smart dns

I never had this problem before since the upgrade. And as I mentioned, I did speed test with East London as my location and was getting 45mb down, which should be ample speed! Even last night I was using Plex and the programme I was watching stopped saying the speeds weren't enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

The new Amazon Fire controller (£29 standalone or £25 with the stick!) works perfectly with the Shield. Build quality feels (slightly) inferior, it uses AAA batteries rather than the Coin-type, (so not sure yet what battery life will be like) but it's a solid replacement if the volume slider thing is bothersome.

Dedicated volume controls, Play/Pause button, and voice control supported too.
    Everything else works as the normal Shield remote. Can also control TV, soundbars etc, but this needs to be configured on a Fire Stick before pairing with the Shield.

Volume slider isn’t a problem for me it’s disabled

...just throwing it out to the community as an alternative!

right but you quoted me talking about stb-emu and the remote slider you see, its an app related issue not nvidia

Fixed now. Cheers

I have samsung tv, virgin box and shield connected to a Denon receiver via arc. I also have Harmony activity set up for turning on the TV and another for shield.

To get the sound option of receiver hdmi i had to turn on the cec on the TV. However on Shield I have this turned off.

When I run the activity for the TV the shield comes on also. Tv pictures still from virgin box but light on Shield comes on.

How can I change it so it only comes on with shield activity?

Still trying to figure out why Shield comes on when TV activity is turned on using Harmony remote

What are the default settings for the power control

settings>display&sound>power control

Was trying to change these around see if this would fix it but did not get anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Good evening

Does anyone know if it's possible to do screen mirroring from an iPad to the Shield or has anyone successfully installed and run the Android version of Zwift?

RHJ wrote: »
    Good evening

Does anyone know if it's possible to do screen mirroring from an iPad to the Shield or has anyone successfully installed and run the Android version of Zwift?

Install the Google home app then you should be able to cast and mirror to the Shield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Install the Google home app then you should be able to cast and mirror to the Shield

I don't know if this is the case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Still trying to figure out why Shield comes on when TV activity is turned on using Harmony remote

What are the default settings for the power control

settings>display&sound>power control

Was trying to change these around see if this would fix it but did not get anywhere

I don't have an answer but have observed odd behaviour with similar setup (samsung tv, virgin box on HDMI 1, shield on HDMI 2. CEC on). I can wake/sleep the Shield with Samsung Remote and even operate the Shield with that remote. But, this is the strange part, the above only works if the VM box is powered on! So there's some dependency there on the HDMI ports somehow.

Looking for some advice here on my Plex setup. I always seem to have issues with it, so want to ensure I have it set up the most efficient way.

I have the Plex app on the Shield with Plex Media Server running. I then get the code, add it to my PC in the other room which is running Plex. All my media is on this PC as well as an external drive connected to the Fritz router.

It's generally running fine, but a lot of times I get buffering issues (but I think this is a known problem with Shield/Plex from looking at some forums). Also sometimes when I launch Plex, nothing appears and when I click my PC name it will say it's not connected. I shut down the app, launch it again and it's working OK. Then sometimes I launch it, but the interface is slightly different, e.g. It doesn't show me my most recent shows I've been watching and I can't scan the library. Again, when I close the app and relaunch it, it's all working again.

I'm just not sure if I'm missing anything or should be doing anything differently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

chewed wrote: »
    Looking for some advice here on my Plex setup. I always seem to have issues with it, so want to ensure I have it set up the most efficient way.

I have the Plex app on the Shield with Plex Media Server running. I then get the code, add it to my PC in the other room which is running Plex. All my media is on this PC as well as an external drive connected to the Fritz router.

It's generally running fine, but a lot of times I get buffering issues (but I think this is a known problem with Shield/Plex from looking at some forums). Also sometimes when I launch Plex, nothing appears and when I click my PC name it will say it's not connected. I shut down the app, launch it again and it's working OK. Then sometimes I launch it, but the interface is slightly different, e.g. It doesn't show me my most recent shows I've been watching and I can't scan the library. Again, when I close the app and relaunch it, it's all working again.

I'm just not sure if I'm missing anything or should be doing anything differently?

It looks fine to me but I was having issues with Plex too :pac:.

Ended up moving to Emby. No issues so far and I prefer the interface.

Edit: https://emby.media/
    You'll have to pay for the Shield app, but there's a trial of a few weeks before that.

xckjoo wrote: »
    It looks fine to me but I was having issues with Plex too :pac:.

Ended up moving to Emby. No issues so far and I prefer the interface.

Edit: https://emby.media/
    You'll have to pay for the Shield app, but there's a trial of a few weeks before that.

Yeah, I might throw in the towel as I could never get Plex fully working properly and have been trying my best for the past year!

I'll check out Emby on the weekend.

Yeah, I might throw in the towel as I could never get Plex fully working properly and have been trying my best for the past year!

I'll check out Emby on the weekend.

Another one here to migrate from Plex to Emby. I much prefer Emby, I have much less issues with Emby server, Plex always wanted to transcode and didn't handle the audio the way I wanted to suit my setup. The Emby client apps are not as polished but are very close after the last few updates. I'm not running the server on the Shield, I have a dedicated server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,459 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Use to have lots of issues with Plex before with buffering etc until I copped that the apps are set to transcode by default which is dumb.
    Once I set my atv/S.H.I.E.L.D plex apps to stream as original file no issues since for all local playback.
    I use both over high speed WiFi (1400mbps) so perfect for streaming.

Blazer wrote:
    Use to have lots of issues with Plex before with buffering etc until I copped that the apps are set to transcode by default which is dumb. Once I set my atv/S.H.I.E.L.D plex apps to stream as original file no issues since for all local playback. I use both over high speed WiFi (1400mbps) so perfect for streaming.

Can you please let me know how you did this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Hi , wondering does anyone have a recommendation for a decent soundbar for the shield . Don't want anything high end as on a budget of about €150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,459 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Can you please let me know how you did this?

Open the plex app on your device and look for quality settings.
    Set it to original which means it will not do any transcoding. I set internet to 2mb or so even though I have about 10meg upload. But my nas struggles to decode.
    On your plex media server ensure its set to the same.

Advertisement