Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Quite a nice day in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

We're not going to get much snow this year are we?, do you think?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

cj maxx wrote: »

Nobody can answer that! Winter is only 15 days old.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Nobody can answer that! Winter is only 15 days old.

Still a baby, with unknown and unlimited potential ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

cj maxx wrote: »
    Doubt we'll get snow. This winter is just going to continue being mild and wet. I am thinking of starting a spring thread already.

Sorry if i sound depressing, it's just the most likely outcome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It was snowing in Ireland already in the last couple of weeks and the forecast is for very cold from Christmas to new year. It has hardly been a very mild December so far??

Doubt we'll get snow. This winter is just going to continue being mild and wet. I am thinking of starting a spring thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its looks like the weather wont really start getting wilder until after christmas...its looks like chance of strong cold winds from the west with mix of everything hail/thunder etc...and possibly colder air coming down from more northerly direction at times could even turn into a more prolonged cold spell after that if it goes more easterly...as we approach the new year...

Who knows what January might be like its usually mild and boring...which is strange since it should be the coldest month...but this year might be different..we'll see sure

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

You do have a valid reason for believing that this winter will likely continue mild and wet as that is a fairly familiar scenario in this country. It is our regular default position. Cold weather enthusiasts will know that so much has to fall in place for a significant wintry outbreak here and only very little has to go wrong for the Atlantic to assert it's mild influence.
    I will not be wishing away the winter thread away yet however as I agree with Slashermcguirk, that it has not been overly mild so far this December. In fact, I saw a fresh dusting of white on the very top of Nephin which is the highest mountain near me on my way home this afternoon. Last Saturday, there was still the very odd remnant of white still left on it's upper slopes from the previous snowfall of nine days before.
    Some of our eastern posters reported ice days earlier in the month and we have had patches of freezing fog also. There is also the potential brewing for a shot of cold air around the Christmas period so if you like cold, the start of this winter has not been the worst. I know the reality is that our climate is fairly unspectacular with regards to extremes and those of us who are drawn to a weather forum often have to live off slim pickings. As some posters have said recently, at times there does not seem to be much to separate our winters and summer but I personally am still keeping my optimism that this winter might deliver a fall of snow somewhere. My expectations of it are of course limited. I think most who like the white stuff would be content with a couple of inches of it.
    Maybe with a bit of luck, you might get another chance over the next few weeks to take another nice snowy snap like you posted from 2018 recently. Keep the spring thread on hold just yet!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

All 4 runs are fairly consistent for Christmas Day. Great to see an average of -6 uppers. So it’s looking cold and will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next 10 days.
    If I was to predict anything just from the last day or so I’d say short cold snap for about 4-5 days from about the 23rd to the 27th.
    Snow potential as it stands.................. still can’t say for sure.
    It’s very interesting though and if it stays like this at least it will feel very seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Latest charts means last forecast is changed...no wonder met eireann have a diiferent forecast everyday...sure if we followed what the charts show everyday we wouldn't have a clue either:pac:

• Advertisement

A decent enough day in wexford, breezy, cold and bright. Did some work outside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Latest charts means last forecast is changed...no wonder met eireann have a diiferent forecast everyday...sure if we followed what the charts show everyday we wouldn't have a clue either:pac:

The Irish weather is notoriously unpredictable.

If I were MET E I'd never give a forecast for more than 5 days in advance - it's subject to too much change and just continually makes them look like fools to the public (even if it's not their fault).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but the snow in NYC should be interesting over the next 24 hours.

This fella is doing a live stream walkabout of the city and the snow is accumulating quite quickly already. Heaviest snow expected from 3am our time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk4a1-von_U&ab_channel=ActionKid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but the snow in NYC should be interesting over the next 24 hours.

This fella is doing a live stream walkabout of the city and the snow is accumulating quite quickly already. Heaviest snow expected from 3am our time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk4a1-von_U&ab_channel=ActionKid

He's finished streaming, here's another guy. Really coming down in NYC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBC7c1x6WzA

18z GFS was not very interesting so may as well enjoy somebody else's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

So jealous !!!! I know we would come to a standstill if that happened here but it would be lovely (in my opinion before I get slaughtered by the non cold lovers)....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

So jealous !!!! I know we would come to a standstill if that happened here but it would be lovely (in my opinion before I get slaughtered by the non cold lovers)....

It happened here in March 2018 :)

NY is at a standstill too, public transport was cancelled and people were advised to avoid travel. Kids online schooling too.

It's a bit of a myth that other places handle snow and ice better than us. Unless you live somewhere that is permanently frozen for the winter, you can only react to what happens when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Everyone on this forum today wishing...

536389.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Danno wrote: »
    Everyone on this forum today wishing...

The scenes from New York.....soooo jealous!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Quite mild in Dublin today, a good barometer for me is if I need gloves when cycling, today I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MmbusuWW09k

This is not too much to ask surely for the 25th ; )

Although i do believe January will bring the goods big time.

• Advertisement

Wet and windy today in wexford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible wet and mild muck here in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild winnowing wind here. Blows the mind clear and challenges with its chill, brisk buffetings.

Then deluges against the window..Loud tattoos. Quintessential winter orchestra.

And when it stills, peace and a gentle, serene mildness to offset the challenge . All is welcome , all is good.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not like this here (live)..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-imG6CNF9kI

I wouldn't mind taking this train journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Serious lack of updates on today’s models. I guess that means people are not confident of any snow over the next week to 10 days then. It still looks quite cold and seasonable to me. Maybe slightly milder from 27th but that could flip back to cold. Too far out anyway. Christmas Eve and Day look cold and mainly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lashing rain here now in NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Serious lack of updates on today’s models. I guess that means people are not confident of any snow over the next week to 10 days then. It still looks quite cold and seasonable to me. Maybe slightly milder from 27th but that could flip back to cold. Too far out anyway. Christmas Eve and Day look cold and mainly dry.

I've stopped posting coz I don't know what to post! Models keep flipping. ECM still ok out to Xmas day as things stand

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

I've stopped posting coz I don't know what to post! Models keep flipping. ECM still ok out to Xmas day as things stand

Yea a lot of uncertainty beyond 96 hrs really. When are we going to get lucky lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The 18z GFS really went on a tear opening up the floodgates to arctic cold after Christmas. Although usually not as reliable as its other times of day, the 18z GFS would have had some benefit of late breaking data after the massive interior northeast U.S. snowstorm. That of course will anchor a cold pattern over the eastern U.S. for some time to come, probably on the whole not a positive given the usual teleconnections, but I've noticed in my research that cold in the eastern half of the U.S. and parts of eastern Canada will correlate better with west European cold the later into the winter you get. By early February there is almost a 1:1 correspondence, December is entirely random, January somewhere in between.

We won't know with much certainty how things are really going to go after the 22nd until the storm gets out into the middle of the ocean and models get a better handle on its complex evolution (already a two-part system, could break up into three parts). At least there is some optimism about wintry synoptics being in the mix at a stage of winter where you don't want to see raging zonality holding the fort, because it seems like late December sets the template for most of January in most years. Changes of pattern seem to come mostly around 21st-24th Dec and late Jan into early Feb.

Advertisement