Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Could be good timing if we get this wet spell out of the way before work and schools break for Christmas :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wouldn't be getting too excited about this mornings runs just yet. Could easily flip again and revert to mild south-westerlies and Atlantic dominance. The charts have been flip flopping constantly over the past few weeks and as of now no clear signal yet for the Christmas period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Biblical rain here now. Miserable miserable evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

I'm going to assume that rain will make its way towards wexford soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dark wet gloomy evening. Had a chuckle at some of the posts during the week bemoaning the brightness of our summers. Irish summers are barely tolerable for their awfulness our winters bring that up another notch altogether.

Bright enough in Dublin today and dry apart from the morning and mild. Just a couple of degrees colder than your average summer's day, so I can't really complain!
    I sometimes forget the weather is usually even worse in the rest of Ireland than Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm going to assume that rain will make its way towards wexford soon.

What was the reasoning behind your assumption?

highdef wrote: »
    What was the reasoning behind your assumption?
    Clonmel1000's post. Not raining here currently, just windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

12mm of rain last night here in meath, fields were flooded, water flowing off the roads into ditches, it was fairlyr bad, wouldnt think that now though, clear sky and breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Fairly dull lately.
    Todays sunshine hours:

Shannon 2.6 hours
    Dublin 1.4 hours
    Casement 1.4 hours
    Gurteen 1.4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

Anyone else up early take a gander outside if its clear. The Geminid meteor shower is at its peak this morning before sunrise, i seen several in the space of a few minutes a short while ago.

• Advertisement

No chance of seeing any meteor showers here in wexford, just cloud, cloud, cloud. cannot wait for spring at this stage since this is just going to be another Atlantic mild/wet/windy winter. I see on Mt's forecast we have some storms headed for us, just what we need :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southerly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts of up to 100 km/h. There will be a risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 21:00 Tuesday 15/12/2020 to 09:00 Wednesday 16/12/2020

Issued: 09:00 Monday 14/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

695mm of rain so far in 2020 at Dublin airport. Looks a pretty average year in terms of rainfall

Cork airport at nearly 1,300mm. Some contrast from Dublin ! Nearly double the rainfall, I know it’s up higher in cork but even still its incredible the rain contrast each year between the two locations

Rain bashing the windows here in Wexford. Non-stop.

A bright and mostly dry day here in Castlebar with just an odd shower

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Quite a lovely day in Dublin, mild and sunny

Lovely day here today, got up to 9c in the sunshine. S Cavan.
    No chance of seeing any meteor showers here in wexford, just cloud, cloud, cloud. cannot wait for spring at this stage since this is just going to be another Atlantic mild/wet/windy winter. I see on Mt's forecast we have some storms headed for us, just what we need :rolleyes:.

Should be plenty more again tonight so worth heading out if you get clear skies.
    Best time to look is in the early am hours but its said the brightest ones tend to be in the late evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

a little surprised at how much water these showers are dumping in the last couple of days. They don't occur all that frequently, but do pack a punch when they pass.

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Some rain out there in Cork city centre

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    a little surprised at how much water these showers are dumping in the last couple of days. They don't occur all that frequently, but do pack a punch when they pass.

I've always loved the type of weather where you can have a lovely dry and sunny day, and then, monsoon.
    Beats the days of never ending drizzle mixed with light rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Wind warning for Cork

Due to high seas and strong onshore winds, there is the risk of coastal flooding tonight (Tuesday night) and on Wednesday. Gale force southeast winds, veering southwest gusting 90 to 110km/h generally, higher in exposed areas.

Issued: 09:00 Tuesday 15/12/2020

———————————————————————-

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Becoming very windy tonight (Tuesday night) and on Wednesday morning. Strong and gusty southeast winds, veering southwest will gust up to 100km/h. Due to high seas and strong onshore winds, there is the elevated risk of coastal flooding

Issued: 09:00 Tuesday 15/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Orange wind /gale warning for Cork and associated orange marine warnings

Stay safe all out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy showers all morning in cork city. Tier 3 (first time hearing that) flood alert for the city center as well for Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A dark wet morning in Castlebar, a few days off breaking 2000mm of rain for the year.

Another lovely day here again today, 8c in the sunshine. Cant complain, might get the lawnmower out one last time

Hailiboys… Orcadian for hailstones. Several LOUD showers.

Xenji wrote: »
    A dark wet morning in Castlebar, a few days off breaking 2000mm of rain for the year.

yes, it is bad... I have to wear wellies to get to the gate for the post as when the concrete path ends there is a moat now. Never seen it like this for so long at a time.

west mayo offshore.

A dark wet afternoon here in Castlebar with prolonged showers.

Very cold evening here in wexford.

• Advertisement

Dire deluges. I had to go to the gate, as a neighbour arrived bearing gifts, and I am soaked .. just seen the met. ie forecasts too.

Advertisement