Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Just looking thorough the technical thread and it looks like the chances of a cold snowy outbreak are decreasing. Not good news for us snow lovers.

Your miss reading it. It’s very exciting but a little all over the place. There is going to be cold weather next week just how cold remains to be seen. It looks good but could and might be better

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Your miss reading it. It’s very exciting but a little all over the place. There is going to be cold weather next week just how cold remains to be seen. It looks good but could and might be better

I'm not. The game is over. Next week there will be cooler weather. But nothing sufficiently cold to bring snow except for mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not. The game is over. Next week there will be cooler weather. But nothing sufficiently cold to bring snow except for mountains.

Jaysus wouldn't be like you.

Can I ask, how it's possible for you to ask "what time will there be snow in Dublin tonight" one day, and then the next day definitively state that there will be no snow as your ability to read the charts and weather knowledgeable is so vast.

Little damp squib old you indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nothing is better than snow on your doorstep. Looking outside into your street and town covered in a blanket of snow.
    That’s why people get excited for it and get very upset when it doesn’t come. Going to a snowy country is fine but there’s nothing better than snow at home.

We will have to agree to disagree on this! Which is fine of course. Snow is pretty but a d***** d dangerous nuisance.
    Fine to look at but we cannot just look.. and in this country everything grinds to a halt in snow.

Mild winters are sheer bliss. Wonderful.... Hoping for mild and gentle ahead.

And I simply accept and cope with whatever comes from the sky and ocean. No hype here! If we get snowed in will make my last snowman etc and take photos but getting upset if it does not?

Lovely and mild now; with a breeze to add interest and music.

A mostly quiet night. Just a gentle huffing now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A nice sunny clear day here in Wexford. Lovely compared to the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭circadian

Cool and clear up here in Derry, the wind would cut ye though.

Woke up to Scalp and Ishkaheen covered completely in clouds which was a nice view. I suspect rain is on the way.

Bitter wind but dramatic clouds..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I will be very happy with a frosty Christmas morning, as we seem to get here on the Kilkenny/ Laois border most years. That’s enough really, just want it to feel Christmassy for that morning. If we are getting a bit of snow much better for it to arrive when most people don’t have to drive to work and can enjoy it, if that’s their thing. I’m still not expecting much out of this winter more than the usual mild/ stormy and couple of frosty days. Dust of snow on one or two days in late Jan/ early Feb and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see any ice days with powdery snow sticking around for several days within the next 11 days. There could well be a lot of cold rain and sleety stuff to contend with, but parts of the country may well see snow at times. Hopefully some places at lower levels will see a nightime covering at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭appledrop

A beautiful sunny winter day today.

If we could have a day like this for Christmas day it would be perfect!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was a beautiful day, sunshine and clear blue skies all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Jaysus wouldn't be like you.

Can I ask, how it's possible for you to ask "what time will there be snow in Dublin tonight" one day, and then the next day definitively state that there will be no snow as your ability to read the charts and weather knowledgeable is so vast.

Little damp squib old you indeed.

He has to be a troll. He was Fraxinus before that, same details on Donegal,his mam etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Gonzo wrote: »
    today was a beautiful day, sunshine and clear blue skies all day.

Turned into a terrible day in Letterkenny with torrential sideways blowing rain from 3pm onwards. Was driving when it started and it was the kind of rain that even with the wipers on full speed they couldn't clear the water fast enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Gets away with murder that fella.

Plays the same game for years.

The good posters on here analyse the model projections. Naturally there is more excitement about extreme predictions of snow, wind and thunderstorms. BUT these posters always post the caveat that this scenario has a 30% chance of happening, it's on the verge of FI etc.

Stage 1: Yer man starts oh there's a big snowfall definitely coming.

Stage 2: I see there's uncertainty now, these posters are getting it wrong again. I had planned on playing with the grandchildren in the snow.

Stage 3: All toys are thrown out of the pram. I'm depressed. We never get snow in Ireland unless on top of mountains. Mother was so upset in Donegal that we couldn't play snowballs. Life is depressing. You all got my hopes up.

Stage 4: 6 weeks later. 'Will storm Francie do damage in Donegal? Rinse and Repeat. It wasn't windy enough etc. Blame everyone including Met Eireann.

Just been hearing about some of folk in places in Canada who get seriously snowed in; relatives have insisted they get microchipped as that is the only way they can check if they are safe in winter. Totally cut off for weeks just now.

Prefer snowless Ireland to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

I see that Met Eireann are now saying it will turn “much colder” after next weekend. No specifics yet but good to see them in agreement that a cold spell is on the way.

Christmas Day looking pleasant enough with frost in the morning and should stay dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

MTCs outlook put a tear in my eye : )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

bazlers wrote: »
    MTCs outlook put a tear in my eye : )

Certainly escalated quickly. Very wintry outlook but still in the very unreliable time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Pouring rain here in Meath, horrible morning, yesterday already seems so far away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

This was the line from MT that caught my eye !!!!

‘ The OUTLOOK calls for further wintry weather conditions towards New Years with a growing possibility of significant snowfalls’ .....

Interesting times ahead!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Sorry , duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

“The OUTLOOK calls for further wintry weather conditions towards New Years with a growing possibility of significant snowfalls, as low pressure areas begin to form in the broad northerly flow providing a focus for more organized bands of snow or sleet at times. Temperatures will be well below average around zero or +1 C in the daytimes and around -3 C at night. Some of the guidance suggests that the cold spell will dig in and persist for some time into January, and there are also some hints of battleground scenarios where Atlantic moisture over-runs the cold air across Ireland leading to more snowfall. Conditions could become quite harsh in isolated higher terrain with blizzard like conditions possibly affecting free ranging livestock. At the same time, I should underscore the fact that there is some uncertainty about details and it seems likely that conditions will be rather variable from place to place in this coming cold spell, not everyone is going to see the same amounts of snowfall for example.”

This outlook from MT gave me a shiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

MTC's post this morning brought a tear to my snow loving eyes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A dull, foggy, mild and wet atlantic day here in wexford.

A re-run of late December 2000 would be very nice. I think we could be dealing with a lot of pesky warm sectors at times from frontal bands, that means many places could see cold rain and sleet rather than snow, but some places should see snow before the New Year. Hopefully M.T. Cranium is right about the New Year,
    Maybe he is behind the potential Vortex shift from Canada to Alaska, which could allow Atlantic heights to move further north after new year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A re-run of late December 2000 would be very nice. I think we could be dealing with a lot of pesky warm sectors at time from fontal bands, that means many places could see cold rain and sleet rather than snow, but some places should see snow before the New Year. Hopefully M.T. Cranium is right about the New Year,
    Maybe he is behind the potential Vortex shift from Canada to Alaska, which could allow Atlantic heights to move further north after new year

yeah everything between now and New Years looks very marginal. -4 to -6 uppers generally. I would be more confident once the uppers go to -8 or colder and doesn't look like we'll get uppers that cold this side of the new year.

yeah -4 to -6 would not be so much of a problem if it was an easterly or north easterly airflow, we just have to hope other things like thickness values, dewpoints, wet bulb temps, and precipitation intensity tip things in our favour at some stage. Certainly we won't be seeing any powdery snow before the new year. Dinner plate sized snow is nice to look at, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

A re-run of late December 2000 would be very nice. I think we could be dealing with a lot of pesky warm sectors at time from fontal bands, that means many places could see cold rain and sleet rather than snow, but some places should see snow before the New Year. Hopefully M.T. Cranium is right about the New Year,

That was a Polar low if I remember rightly. Gave us about 6 inches of snow, and bitterly cold weather for about 3 days. And that was grand.

Advertisement