Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Pouring rain here in Meath, horrible morning, yesterday already seems so far away

Still raining and very dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

No let up at all today here in wexford. At least it's misty drizzle and not heavy rain as the ground is already soaked

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

It's the same dreary weather pattern we've been having recently with drizzly patchy showers and daytime temps in and around double digit numbers, can't see any proper winter weather on the horizon over the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This short animation shows the dew point temp forecast for the next 10 days (GFS)

https://imgur.com/a/XPDa3AX

Note how contaminated the source region of these upcoming northerlies is because of the legacy of those bountiful Atlantic warm/occluded fronts. Dp temps barely reaching 0c even up as far as the 80th. Those northerlies just can't seem to able to pull down some proper Arctic air down towards us at all, but instead, we're just left with a prolonged returning, highly unpleasant and highly unintersting polar maritime crap. What a bollox part of the world we live in. One of the most northerly countries on the planet yet this is what we have to deal with nearly every winter. Crumbs thrown at us from the Pole and Europe... if they happen to be in a generous mood, which is increasingly rare.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That was a Polar low if I remember rightly. Gave us about 6 inches of snow, and bitterly cold weather for about 3 days. And that was grand.

Yeah it was one of those proper northerlies we use to know and love. We had the same amount of snow. Great times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

This will be an interesting drive to work on Wednesday morning. The Nadd rd to Ballincollig will be a tester

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yeah it was one of those proper northerlies we use to know and love. We had the same amount of snow. Great times.

Had slightly over a foot of real, featherlike snow here during that spell, much of which fell in one sitting. Magical. The snow showers that followed over the following few days brought ample and lovely thunder & lightning also.

ERA_1_2000122706_2.png

For me, the 2000 spell far surpassed that of 2010. Shorter lived but of purer quality. Feb/March 2018 Emma snow, while incredible and amazing to watch, was very dusty and reminded me more of a sandstorm than a blizzard... not that I am complaining. Anything outside of the soul slaughtering norm in this country is to be treasured.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mount Dillon and Oak park still -1 @ 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Another lockdown beckons, I’m just hoping we can see some snowfall to take the mind away from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cloudy and only 3c here in Meath, looking around the countryside, a lot of our neighbours have their fires and stoves lit,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Another lockdown beckons, I’m just hoping we can see some snowfall to take the mind away from it!

There will be fabulous walking weather during the Xmas period.
    I think everyone loves getting out and about for walks/runs/hikes after Xmas day. It looks like it will be relatively dry.
    Also the evenings are getting longer now :)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitterly cold with no air movement to take the edge off it.

A wet, icy cold afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrible wet miserable day.

Horrible wet miserable day.
    The worst thing is, it's extremely cold but no chance of it falling as snow, looking at the forecast, even tonight it will stay above 0 :rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭arctictree

+3.8c here in Roundwood and overcast. Looks like rain on the way, maybe sleet higher up...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dewpoints across the country, computer says no.

536932.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Grand stretch in the evenings...:)

A very heavy shower just passed here in wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

from 16th of december the evenings began to get less dark by 1 min every second evening, so we should have gained almost 3 mins already. mornings continue to grow darker until jan 2nd

• Advertisement

Heavy shower; bitterly cold..

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Incessant heavy rain all night here at the foot of the Knockmealdowns.
    Looks like it will last another few hours at least, rain radar shows we are bang in the middle of a band that's travelling N-E. In fact, hard to see when it will end, as the tail end of the band is outside the edge of radar coverage - for now it just keeps on coming!

At this rate, and given the already sodden ground, I expect substantial local flooding today and tomorrow.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

There is no breeze there is no snow just heavy constant downpours of rain. Horrible horrible morning and to think I should be in the Canaries this morning. FU C19!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like it will last another few hours at least, rain radar shows we are bang in the middle of a band that's travelling N-E. In fact, hard to see when it will end, as the tail end of the band is outside the edge of radar coverage - for now it just keeps on coming!

At this rate, and given the already sodden ground, I expect substantial local flooding today and tomorrow.

Hows the Ark coming along?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Still looking good for some of the white stuff next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Mimon wrote: »
    Still looking good for some of the white stuff next week?

Its looking that way..

Supercell wrote: »
    Hows the Ark coming along?

We have boats out here, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I read that all wrong - wind is coming form the N-E which is unusual in these parts. It appears we are on the north edge of a stalled low pressure system. Nothing is moving anywhere for a while yet...

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Same here in Tipp,49.6mm recorded since it started yesterday,major flooding in all the fields around here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

quite a few roads flooded in West cork.

Advertisement