Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Howdy,

have a front facing gps blackvue - works great.
    But had a clown try undertake me on a roundabout last week - so time for a rear facing.

Will go with either (non-gps) F100 or the DR450.

question - what switched live fuse is there at the back of a car (octavia) to plug the cam into with a piggyback fuse ?
    Or do folks route the cable to the front fuse box ?

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Same situation, have iTronic ITB100HD and looking for a rear recorder now too. What made you decide between the F100 or the DR450?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

The BV because it's the same as my other - good brand & no issues.

The F100 because it was mentioned here - good recommendations and cheap (e140 odd).
    I'd prefer the two single items than a dual mode one.

F100 is e135 on donedeal (new).

Question above - have you thought about connections for the rear ?

Has anyone got the F100 -what lenght cable did you get ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I just took delivery today of a Yi Dashcam (for my cousin), and have to say it's a lovely little dash cam, picture is spot on, and the mount is very small (sticky pad type).
    Its down to £30 from £75

I think I've found a successor to the G1W I've been using for the last few years as my travel dash cam (The mount holder recess on the Yi fits the G1W suction mount perfectly (They all seem to be a standard style/size), so no worries regarding using the sticky pad in rental cars).

I was thinking about another Nextbase 112 (I got one about 3 weeks ago for the mothers car), but the picture just isn't good enough for the price, which is a pity as it's a lovely little camera and seems well built.
    The Yi is £15 cheaper, and so so much better.

The DDPai mini2 is also holding up well, good picture and seems reliable so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hey folks, I am planning on buying a Thinkware F770 Dashcam with Front and Rear cameras. I have been quoted €100 for fitting a front & rear camera and €50 for a front only camera by the official stockists of Thinkware in Ireland.

I am useless with this sort of thing and dont fancy playing around with the fusebox myself.

Is this a good price? The car is a VW CC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey folks, I am planning on buying a Thinkware F770 Dashcam with Front and Rear cameras. I have been quoted €100 for fitting a front & rear camera and €50 for a front only camera by the official stockists of Thinkware in Ireland.

I am useless with this sort of thing and dont fancy playing around with the fusebox myself.

Is this a good price? The car is a VW CC.

Crazy price in my opinion.
    €100 is a days wages for a lot of people.
    I wasn't much longer than a half an hour fitting front and back together.
    Is there anyone you know who would do it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

blade1 wrote: »
    Crazy price in my opinion.
    €100 is a days wages for a lot of people.
    I wasn't much longer than a half an hour fitting front and back together.
    Is there anyone you know who would do it for you?

Dont really know anyone I would trust to do it tbh. I might just buy the thing and try install it myself. Ye folks might help me out with any fuse related questions if I do run into trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hogzy wrote: »
    Dont really know anyone I would trust to do it tbh. I might just buy the thing and try install it myself. Ye folks might help me out with any fuse related questions if I do run into trouble!

It's simple.
    Two wires, one you'll earth and the other you should get a suitable fuse tap to match your cars fuses and you'll connect that to either a switched live or a permanent live(whether you want the cam to come on when you turn the ignition on or always have it on).

Fuse tap here ( this may or may not be the type one to match your car) https://m.lightinthebox.com/add-a-circuit-fuse-tap-piggy-back-mini-blade-fuse-holder-apr-atc_p4498022.html?currency=EUR&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&country_code=ie&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=232046288833&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o1&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=1463064549_854889002_47483095574_pla-324709286370&gclid=CjwKCAiAy4bTBRAvEiwAFtatHFCRFMYKVOxV8gLEAc3zXAERbWJ38t-2OVEnYDfm08YlzZLj18ajaRoCWdIQAvD_BwE

Also one of these to connect cam to fusebox and earth.
    (Again you need to choose the correct type usb for your car)
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142618222341

The only other things involved are mounting the cams and tidying the wires.

Easy Peasy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi,
    I plan on buying a dash cam in the next few days. I don't due huge mileage but I would end up parking in hotel car parks for meetings and that's where I used to see a it of damage to the paint work and body of my previous cars, so a unit with a rear camera and parking mode are top of the list. I'm looking at Thinkware F800 Pro, it has exactly the functionality I'm looking for but the price is nuts? Any recommendations you guys might have on another model or experience of this brand would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I plan on buying a dash cam in the next few days. I don't due huge mileage but I would end up parking in hotel car parks for meetings and that's where I used to see a it of damage to the paint work and body of my previous cars, so a unit with a rear camera and parking mode are top of the list. I'm looking at Thinkware F800 Pro, it has exactly the functionality I'm looking for but the price is nuts? Any recommendations you guys might have on another model or experience of this brand would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Mad money!

Would you not consider getting 2 camera's and hardwiring them in?

I use 2 Vantrue X1's for front and rear, but only hardwired the front one. (2 cameras, 1 hardwire kit, 2 Samsung sd cards cost about £180 delivered).

Mad money!

Would you not consider getting 2 camera's and hardwiring them in?

I use 2 Vantrue X1's for front and rear, but only hardwired the front one. (2 cameras, 1 hardwire kit, 2 Samsung sd cards cost about £180 delivered).

Hi,
    That's a good option, would(do you have) it be possible to have the parking mode active which I'm particularly interested in?

Apologies if it's a stupid question, just started researching dash cam technology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Yes there's a parking mode, and a sensitivity feature on the X1 Model anyway, I use medium sensitivity as the highest will record rain drops on the window(which meant it was recording 24/7 in Galway due to bad whether).

To use the parking mode it will need to have a continuous power source, so it'll need to be hardwired or connected to a battery source. If it's just connected by cigarette socket parking mode won't work while the car ignition is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Here I am a disgruntled Windows Phone owner...
    Love my phone btw, but certain app seem to be totally ignored by the powers that be!?
    Anyway can anyone suggest an app for my new WiFi 📶 dash cam. The app in particular that the cam suggests is WCVR-PWD.
    I just don't seem to be able to find such a download for my Windows Phone.
    Has anyone had any success.
    Or is there a similar app that will do the job, and were can I download it safely and securely to my phone.
    Thank You all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

YI 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera, Car DVR Vehicle Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Grey. £30 (needs PM/PW/Addresspal)

Use the Promotion button to knock $7.99 off and brings it down to £29.99 with free delivery to NI.
    Techmoan gave it a good review.

Amazon Link

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ordered, thanks. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Had my 2nd YI delivered on Saturday,

1st was for my cousin and I was so impressed, I got one for myself as a back up

Great Dashcam for the money

Unregistered Users

[...]

True.

If it had GPS, I'd be delighted though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Had my 2nd YI delivered on Saturday,

1st was for my cousin and I was so impressed, I got one for myself as a back up

Just installed this on my GFs car last night. Very impressive piece of kit for the money. Almost can't believe how cheap it was. I'll get one for my car when I have money again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Do any of these exist with an internal battery? I have a crappy one with a monster long cord that looks ugly/untidy and bugs me.

Alternatively anyone good solutions for minimising the above?!

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Route a cable under A-pillar and roof linings. Mirror would hide the rest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

joujoujou wrote: »
    Route a cable under A-pillar and roof linings. Mirror would hide the rest.

Yep. Depending on where the fuse box is in your car you could hard wire it in there, saving you from having to use the cigarette lighter. But the one I installed last night (Xiaomi Yi dashcam) came with an 11.5ft cable, routed it from the centre console over and into the glovebox, out the other side, up the passenger A pillar and along the top of the windscreen to the rear view mirror. Took all of 15 minutes to install. Nice and neat and you can't really see the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Radsky

Any recommendation on a good and reliable rearview mirror dashcam? I bought a cheap one on ebay and it broke down after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

2004 bangernomics ford Mondeo

http://www.adverts.ie/14655354

Hi

Ive been doing some more homework on dash cams, I'm going to be fitting a two camera system that will utilise parking mode to a BMW 420, almost all of the info I've read online suggest that I will need to purchase a Cellink B battery or similar because of battery issues with BMW's.
    What do ye think? Is this really necessary?
    TIA

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/news/77753863-bmw-battery-discharge-and-cellink-battery-b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Thinking of changing my car and bringing my Yi DashCam with me, its currently stuck to my windscreen with the 3m bracket that came with it do I need to buy an entire new bracket like so or just a piece of 3m adhesive?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

richieffff wrote: »
    Thinking of changing my car and bringing my Yi DashCam with me, its currently stuck to my windscreen with the 3m bracket that came with it do I need to buy an entire new bracket like so or just a piece of 3m adhesive?

Get a Stanley blade and clean off old tape.

Then re apply

Unregistered Users

Get a Stanley blade [...]

^^This.^^

Alternatively thin fishing line or guitar string. :)

Don't use metal on the glass to scrape it off, you'll only scratch the windscreen! Use dental floss to get under the adhesive and remove the mount, then you should be able to use a cloth and some warm water to clean the rest off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Ah even easier again, great stuff cheers lads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement