Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black or White pudding?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I like both, in fact they complement each other. I like to arrange them as alternate black and white slices in a sandwich.

Just thinking that black and white pudding slices look like draughts pieces and it would make for an interesting game if you used them as such. Every time you captured a piece/slice you could eat it and then the winner eats their remaining slices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Had to quickly scan through a few posts. As much as I love pudding, I really don't want to know how it's made. I can't stand the taste of blood, but I'll eat your arm if it's covered in black pudding.

The best I have found lately is Divillys black pudding (they do white too, but I don't usually eat white because most white is shyte, must try their version). Anyway, the black pudding is deliciously moist when cooked properly. Cut rings about 1-2 cm wide, dry fry, when the middle of the outside ring of the pudding is starting to go black, flip that bitch and wait for the black to meet in the middle. Spreads like butter then, and seriously good taste. And it's only €1. Can be got in Spar down here in Limerick, but is made in Galway so should be available in most Munster I'd imagine.

Don't get the love of the Clonakilty stuff tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's not made using the small instetine. It's made using blood of an animal which is strained and cooked. The intestine is like a sausage skin around it. It's nice as I've had it several times. There's no scraping of faeces involved in drisheen.

You're thinking of tripe which is the stomach of an aminal which is boiled and cleaned.
    its been about 30 yrs since i made pudding but back then the use of fresh blood was banned for the last couple of yrs I made them but maybe its been changed since then . Before it was banned production of pudding would have strictly revolved around the availability of fresh blood from the local slaughter yard. I can remember milk churns of warm blood being deliver just on time to add to the pudding mix , about 150lbs . If the timing was a bit off the blood would cool and clots would form so the blood would need to be strained . Every internal organ including stomach lining would be cooked and minced and then mixed with the blood , protein powder , meal , salt pepper , flavourings and some kind of binder can't remember the name. Been a long time so can't remember the exact proportions . It was all then put through a machine and filled into the small intestine and tied by hand into ''rings'' then recooked . Pigs hearts were very nice but the the other organs including the stomach lining were terrible
    Incedentley '' skinless'' sausages were also pre cook and could be eaten from the packet
    Tripe is the lining of the stomach , usually boiled in milk with onions . Drisheen although not popular in wexford also contains the stomach lining . In normal black pudding the tripe would all be minced with the other meat stuffs and you'd never know it was there , in drisheen there would be a higher proportion , it would be minced a bit more roughly and added to the mixer at a later date so it would be more prominent in the drisheen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Once you got for nice thicc black ring you don't go back....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Neither.

Like, I’ll eat them. If somebody makes me breakfast and pudding features, I won’t turn my nose up. But I just don’t see the point of pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Neither.

Like, I’ll eat them. If somebody makes me breakfast and pudding features, I won’t turn my nose up. But I just don’t see the point of pudding.

You're well named! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

White. My local butcher does a great one that I much prefer to the shop ones I've bought, and it's actually cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

biko wrote: »
    No puddings

Burn the Heretic!!!!

Clonakilty back pudding isn’t even the best black pudding made in Clonakilty. Extremely overrated brand relying on its reputation. SuperValu’s signature taste pudding is better than it.

The fawning over clonakilty sausages and puddings is a bit mystifying. Is it down to retro affectations about Irish brands?

Their white pudding is actually smaller and more expensive than the one I get in my local butchers which knocks the clonakilty one out of the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

But they use the small intestine as a lining yes? A sort of wrapper?

Well then how do they get the bloody shít off of it? That's what I want to know.

Yes as a skin around it. You implied last night that the instetine is part of the drisheen as in the filling of it when that's not it.

Anyway tripe and drisheen with white sauce, pepper, onions and potatoes is a amazing.

Is packet just another name for tripe ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Packet?

Sure, I know what tripe is, not exactly sure why this is being associated with drisheen... totally different product.

They tend to be served together as a dish.
    Potatoes, white sauce and onions too, had it frequently as a kid in the late '70s

I think it's a Cork thing. Or was.

joeguevara wrote: »
    As a kid (3-7) I used to always eat raw sausages on the sly. Absolutely adored them. Never got sick. Turns my stomach even thinking about doing it now.

Used to do the same with white pudding, and I was older than you. My friends still tease me about it but nobody died.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    They tend to be served together as a dish.
    Potatoes, white sauce and onions too, had it frequently as a kid in the late '70s

I think it's a Cork thing. Or was.

And piping hot as well. It's still a thing. My father still eats it although not as often as he probably did when he was younger. I've eaten it many times and it's nice.

Used to do the same with white pudding, and I was older than you. My friends still tease me about it but nobody died.

Isn't pudding already cooked anyway ?

Yes as a skin around it. You implied last night that the instetine is part of the drisheen as in the filling of it when that's not it.

Oh, I see. No, i know it is just the lining, but I don't know if that makes drisheen any more agreeable than if the intestines were somehow minced into the rest of the product. You're eating an animal's duodenum.

How do they clean the intestines? It must be somebody's job to scrape, boil or otherwise wash the shít off of it?

That's fine, it's probably perfectly safe and maybe it even tastes good. But the manufacturing of pudding is a relatively clean and pleasant experience, that's all I'm trying to say.

Isn't pudding already cooked anyway ?

You'd think it was still alive the way my friends used to react.

I'm tempted to try raw sausage now actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You'd think it was still alive the way my friends used to react.

I'm tempted to try raw sausage now actually.

Ooh Matron.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Something ungodly about white pudding

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Ooh Matron.....!

I just knew this thread would descend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

its no odds, both give me heartburn.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

One of each, think Wonder and McCartney, together in perfect harmony. One without the other and it's an Ulster Fry or an English Breakfast, both negligibly different so why multiple nomenclature for the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Oh, I see. No, i know it is just the lining, but I don't know if that makes drisheen any more agreeable than if the intestines were somehow minced into the rest of the product. You're eating an animal's duodenum.

How do they clean the intestines? It must be somebody's job to scrape, boil or otherwise wash the shít off of it?

That's fine, it's probably perfectly safe and maybe it even tastes good. But the manufacturing of pudding is a relatively clean and pleasant experience, that's all I'm trying to say.
    its funny , when you explain to people that the pudding [the mass produced stuff] contains boiled internal organs it sounds disgusting where in actual fact the ingredients were always really fresh and the smell in the factory used to be great when the stuff was being boiled. there was of course a lot of the cheaper cuts of meat in their too . The intestines used to come to us pre washed from the slaughter yard but they smelled terrible , not a ''****ty'' smell but a sweet sickly smell we would soak them in salt water overnight and then run salt water through them as a final wash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Black !!!

Clonakilty to be precise !! Could live on the stuff!!! heavens food!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I can't take pudding At all....its radioactive

Advertisement