Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black or White pudding?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Strumms wrote: »
    I can vouch for SuperValu’s pudding too.... delicious, soft beautiful taste and texture...

Going back 34/35 years to SuperValu ‘s predecessor H Williams even, I remember as a kid loving their pudding and sausages, the best, the very best you could get in Dublin in the mid ‘80’s.

H Williams weren't actually anything to do with either Supervalu or Superquinn.

When they went to the wall in 1987 Pascal Taggart bought the chain from the liquidator. He sold off most of their larger stores to Quinnsworth and Dunnes while others became Supervalu outlets, quickly making himself a mint from a bankrupted chain. He held onto most of the smaller outlets and reopened them as Spar's, having taken on the rights to it's franchise in Ireland. He flogged Spar off a few years later and made yet another mint, before it too floundered locally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aldis cheap ones are great for less than a Euro tbh. Their premium Black one is my go-to for a fried egg and black pudding salad I do, I could literally eat that 3 times a day for the whole Summer then ditch the salad and have it with chips in Winter...

Edit: and fresh brown bread with both...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

both good but a really good black pudding is absolutely wonderful.I had some for breakfast and the taste is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

White pudding really is a predominantly Irish thing. English breakfast should have black pudding but more people in Ireland will eat it. You cant have a proper Irish breakfast without both.

Anyone who doesn't like black pudding is nuts in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

I used to love the white pudding my butcher used to do but he has stopped making it. Lovely soft spicy spreadable.

I am not into the Galtee/Denny white puddings
    Anyone any suggestions for a quality white pudding in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

Has anyone noticed that lately popular brands like Clonakilty/Dunnes/SuperValu are impossible to cut without half the dam thing crumbling away? Rudds is the only one I find I can cut without without watching it go to dust :(
    Clonakilty is the pits, the binding agent must be sawdust.......

Why is it called pudding?

And is it true that pudding can safely be eaten raw? Because it is not meat, after all, only blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Black with scallops or scotch eggs, white with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

And is it true that pudding can safely be eaten raw? Because it is not meant, after all, only blood.

From French boudin, meaning "small sausage". Black pudding is cooked long before you ever see it, the blood/meat is boiled during manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And is it true that pudding can safely be eaten raw? Because it is not meat, after all, only blood.

it is boiled as part of its preparation so it should safe to eat straight from the packet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rossie11

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I've had this one and in my view it is the BEST
    Comes in large irregular chunks that are clearly sliced off a huge block.
    It is delicious.

http://www.annascaulblackpudding.com/

If you're ever visiting Kerry or the Dingle peninsula, this is just a small shop at the edge of the little village of Annascaul. Worth stopping for!

Will be there in a few weeks.. fair play will defo get some.

As a kid (3-7) I used to always eat raw sausages on the sly. Absolutely adored them. Never got sick. Turns my stomach even thinking about doing it now.

it is boiled as part of its preparation so it should safe to eat straight from the packet

Disgusting but good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s lovely ‘raw’. My father would always have a slice before he threw the rest of the pudding on the pan.

Black pudding/blood sausage is very common in many countries - France, Spain, Thailand, China etc. Anywhere where pigs were kept, and you didn’t want to waste anything from the carcass. Eating it for the breakfast seems to be an Irish/Perfidous Albion thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Black.

White pudding is for vegetarians.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

joeguevara wrote: »
    As a kid (3-7) I used to always eat raw sausages on the sly. Absolutely adored them. Never got sick. Turns my stomach even thinking about doing it now.

I did that with rashers, just the once,and was also fine! The one good thing about intensive farming is that it's super clean; some pig diseases like salmonella are relatively rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

White for me. The butcher does a wonderful one. Black is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

lertsnim wrote: »
    White for me. The butcher does a wonderful one. Black is nice too.
    Where is your butchers for the white?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dennyire wrote: »
    I used to love the white pudding my butcher used to do but he has stopped making it. Lovely soft spicy spreadable.

I am not into the Galtee/Denny white puddings
    Anyone any suggestions for a quality white pudding in Dublin?

Some of the ones mentioned on the thread are fairly easy to get in the multiples. Aldi carry a version of McCarthy's though I think you can get the real deal in Avoca. Rudds, Hodkins, De Roiste, O'Neills of Arkla, Meere's and Kelly's of Newport are in most supermarkets, and are usually cheaper than Clonakilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Pudding will be obsolete in the future, can’t keep up with technology, falls apart in the air fryer, this will be its downfall.

• Advertisement

Deep Fried Black Pudding is amazing

Chipper near me growing up used to do pudding in batter. Savage.

I've eaten it 'raw', nice with a bit of Colman's mustard. I'd be wary of just trying it with any auld piece of pudding though, it should be as fresh as possible. Our butcher growing up used make it himself and one time the portion we got was gone off. I was with my da when he brought it back and the butcher was incredulous that it was off because "sure I only made it myself this morning".

He tried a big chunk of it himself and nearly got sick, apologised profusely and threw in a load of free grub (the first time I ever had rissoles, now that I think of it....remember them?). That was the first time I'd ever heard of it being eaten 'raw' but, as explained, it's boiled when being made anyway.

Black is nicer than white, but only good black. There are far too many poxy versions of black pudding. A good black is better than a good white, but a bad one is much worse than a bad white. I'm a big fan of both the ones that turn into paste and also the Clonakilty-style ones with barley and rice in them, though not a huge fan of actual Clonakilty pudding for some reason.

Everyone round dun laoghaire raves about Hicks blackpudding and sausages. I put it in the same category as Teddy's icecream. Completely overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

kellys of newport, black and white,do them in the air fryer, best ive ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

White here. Lovely and spicy.
    Also so a good one. Clonakilty brand isn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

I just get those pudding roulade things now that have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Homelander wrote: »
    I just get those pudding roulade things now that have both.

they are the greatest invention of the modern age

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

White pudding is 1,000 times nicer than black pudding, black pudding is mainly just for prositants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Black, love it but have to say its also the most over cooked food in Ireland. Most people pretty much burn it. While we've improved at cooking veg Black Pudding continues to be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I like both, but preference would be for black pudding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Once you've had black...

Advertisement